The gorilla exhibit reopened at the Cincinnati Zoo this morning

Thankfully, I was out of the country when all of the gorilla news broke over Memorial Day Weekend, but the Cincinnati Zoo is back in the news today after the gorilla exhibit reopened this morning. If you were also out of country when it happened, the exhibit has been closed since May 28, when a 3-year-old boy climbed into the enclosure and the zoo staff killed 17-year-old silverback Harambe to protect the child. The videos of the incident went viral, with everyone and their grandmother weighing in on the issue on social media.

Zoo Director Thane Maynard told reporters this morning that, even though the old barrier had been safe for 38 years, the zoo added a 42-inch tall barrier with wood beams across the top and bottom of the exhibit with knotted rope netting:

In similar news, an Ohio prosecutor announced yesterday that no charges will be brought against Michelle Gregg, the mother of the boy.

And that’s all I’m going to say about that.

[WKYT]

15 Comments for The gorilla exhibit reopened at the Cincinnati Zoo this morning

1. jasonwells1982
    11:47 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

Please keep it Kentucky sports not about a zoo.

2. sincitycat
    11:57 am June 7, 2016 Permalink

The judge’s ruling seems to say that parents can’t be expected to watch their children all the time. If this is the case he is giving parents a free pass to not watch their children in public. So a wonderful gorilla had to lose his life because parents didn’t watch their house ape. Appalling!

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:26 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

No, just that parent’s shall not be legally required to be absolutely perfect 100% of the time. Kids have a way of exhausting even the best parents, after all, especially on an outing.

• ukbradstith
      12:46 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Guess you never had kids, or you are delusional.

3. Thundercats
    12:01 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Parents fault. End of Story.

• Duff86
      12:27 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

You’re an idiot. End of story.

• kingave66
      1:05 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Maybe you are the idiot. Criminal parental negligence caused the entire situation.

• Megan
      1:18 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Not according to the prosecutor’s office. But you understand the law better, I’m sure.

4. matt2857
    12:11 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

Why is it that someone has to be at fault for EVERYTHING? What would satisfy you guys? We take the kid away from the parents so you can bitch about people raising kids with government help? Should we make them pay for the gorilla? Also, what’s the going rate for a gorilla? Let’s put a family in poverty because of a terrible accident/mistake. That sounds like a sound decision. Shit happens, there’s lots of variables in life we can’t account for and different scenarios no parent ever could foresee. Sure, they should’ve been watching the kid. But it happened and a gorilla died..the parents don’t need to pay anything back or be disciplined for a mistake that cost a gorilla’s life. You guys are probably the same one’s to wonder why everyone sues over EVERYTHING!

5. sincitycat
    12:35 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

If parents are not expected to watch their children all the time then there are places parents should not take their children until they are old enough to not be watched.

• ukbradstith
      12:49 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know about this situation exactly, but at the Louisville zoo, kids press up against the exhibit, while parents stand back and take pictures etc. Try taking a group of 4-5 kids to the zoo and see if you can keep them in arms reach all the time.

6. RealCatsFan
    12:52 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

I’m a parent of two, and it would be quite easy for me to get up on a soapbox and preach about how OTHER parents don’t do a good job of raising and supervising their children, when deep down inside I realize that in many case through the 14+ years that I have been a dad, there but for the grace of God goes I.

7. sincitycat
    3:13 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

I wonder how some of you who are defending the parents would feel it the child had been kidnapped while being neglected by the parents.

8. Bobbum Man
    3:33 pm June 7, 2016 Permalink

people are so stupid. Yes maybe the parents aren’t 100% perfect as I doubt any of our fearless KSR commenters are. They took their eyes off their child for a split second and a horrible thing happened. I know you guys would love to see the parents lives ruined as well as their child’s by throwing them in max security prison for x amount of years but it’s a freaking accident. Good grief. My only thing is the railing was 3 feet tall before, way too short in my opinion but nonetheless. The idea is raise it by 6 inches? It would seem they would make it taller to where this doesn’t happen again