The Final Show of 2014 (Wednesday Show Thread)

We’re popping bottles** on this morning’s show as we say goodbye to 2014. Tune in as Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond reminisce back on the past year and look ahead to all the fun to be had in 2015.

(**McDonald’s Diet Cokes)

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

94 Comments for The Final Show of 2014 (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:56 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

It’s always good when the cards get beat by the SEC.

Tomorrow is my birthday, and it’s great that I never have to work on my birthday. I assume it will be a best of show? Ryan, don’t leak anything today!

KSR resultions for 2015?

More KY Joe?
    KSR App
    More stations across the state

• Realme
      10:06 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Happy Birthday!

2. Jay in Lyndon
    10:07 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I never thought I would feel sorry for Chris Jones. Pitino says he didn’t start him last night becasue of “THE FLOP”, way to take up for your players Rick! Jerk move!

If Cal had same situation he would have said something funny like he was auditioning for the NBA and moved on. He would have helped make it go away.

Shows how Rick reacts to criticism compared to Cal.

• RealCatsFan
      10:25 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I’m not a Pitino fan by any means, but I think he did the right thing to get the message across to his player. If a UK player did something like that I would hope Cal would put an immediate stop to it as well. I would have sat him right after he did it, but Rick thought he could still win the game, so he left him in.

• J-Dub421
      10:32 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

If Rick wanted to bench Jones, then fine. But he shouldn’t have talked to the media about it; it should have been handled internally. Don’t throw your players under the bus. Jones is already a laughing stock nationally for the flop, no need to pile on.

• Realme
      10:34 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I kind of respect Jones for saying he was embarrassed and will not do it again.

• Jack Nicklaus
      10:36 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Pitino is so full of bull stuff. His players have been doing this for years. Heck, Russ was the king at it…every time someone touched him, he’d act like he got punched in the nose. Jones does the same thing. They just got called out on it this time, so Pitino has to act like he is way above it….give me a break!

• Realme
      10:38 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

True Jack. That was obviously Pitino throwing a player under the bus for something he’d been told to do.

• Rixter
      10:38 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

The only thing we know for sure (by Rick saying he sat because of the flop) is that he sat Jones for another reason, and we have no idea what the reason is.
      Rick said he’s holding a player accountable? With a straight face? He’s gooooooood!

• blubo
      10:46 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

only reason r 3stacks did what he did is because the flopping received so much attention in the media. he obviously coaches flopping and jones did a bad acting job and was made a laughing stock. now coach decides to look righteous and bring discipline. fail

3. JoeMoney333
    10:09 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

“The Chubb was big yesterday” … Ryan Lemond everyone!

4. Gap Tooth Danny
    10:11 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

“One thing I can’t stand is rude behavior” Woodrow Call

5. KATZ54
    10:12 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Great year for the Cats & KSR lets make 2015 better.

6. UKBlue1
    10:13 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Michigan just going to use Vince, and when Jim eventually heads back to the NFL then what.

7. UK_JB
    10:16 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Show thread post of the year?

8. Cat House
    10:17 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

The NFL doesn’t recruit.

9. Rixter
    10:20 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I wish Matt would listen to himself sometimes. Shannon just said ‘all the years run together’, so Matt says ‘I know, so pick one from this year’. HUH??

Sometimes Matt is so wrapped up in making his co-workers look bad, he doesnt realize how much an an ass he comes off as. Or maybe he does.

• JoeMoney333
      10:22 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Of all times Matt looks like a jerk I really didn’t think that was one of them. I thought he was like “I know they do, but try and pick one from this year”

• Rixter
      10:40 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Then he belittled Shannon for not being able to come up with one

• bigcat13
      10:50 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Its all the time… Matt puts down Ryan every day ! Gets old, makes me really get sick of listening sometimes. Matt is so arrogant that it ruins the show. Ryan makes that show half he time ! The way he speaks, with the tone and smart ass comments/opinion really hurts the show and they don’t realize it..

10. kyjoe4uk
    10:21 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Matt your an idiot can u be anymore obivious u want him to leave, u can’t stand the fact that maybe football might compete against basketball in the future. So act like u support than backhandly do everything to try to derail it, your a joke plain & simple on that subject anyways. Marrow has a history dating back to growing up together & are very tight, so I don’t think he will leave Stoops. Plus UK will match their offer if Stoops wants him to stay which I think he does, that said I don’t know for certain what he will do but I don’t think he will leave. That said now your ranting about Stoops coming back on to talk about it, just do this crap for hits & ratings that’s all, we at least your more transparent than your idol Obama. 😝

• JoeMoney333
      10:23 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Congrats on Dumbest post of 2014. Way to sandbag and come on late!

• kyjoe4uk
      10:27 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Thanks & hopefully it wins. 👍😎

• J-Dub421
      10:29 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I can barely understand what you’re trying to say because your grammar and punctuation are so terrible. Also, KSR has been a huge supporter of football for the last several years. And what do politics have to do with football? You’re so wrong on so many levels.

• Realme
      10:32 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Guys, you can’t expect someone with Ky Joe in their name to make sense.

• kyjoe4uk
      10:42 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Thanks again for all the praise, appreciate it & Happy New Year!!!!🎉🎉🎉🎉

• kyjoe4uk
      10:46 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

J-Dub, despite all my poor grammar u seem to hit on all my points anyways, sorry try to do better next time. 😉

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

You mean that I was smart enough to figure out that you were talking about football and politics? You try to do better next time. Stay in school kids!

• kyjoe4uk
      10:55 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Yes sir/madam just in case & try to stay pc of course. 👍

• kyjoe4uk
      11:10 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Just to clarify meant Matt was an idiot or wrong on these issues, we all know he likes basketball better & is definitely a liberal, we can’t all be perfect though. That said take him for what he’s worth & my post, entertainment that’s it, most understand this I think, myself included. But see how I got hits with the bait I was using, which is my point, same for him, get it? 😉

11. J-Dub421
    10:25 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Why would anyone want to live in Michigan? It’s cold there!!! Also the Big 10 is a step down from the SEC.

• RealCatsFan
      10:27 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

And in spite of the bitter cold, in the summer they still have swarms of mosquitoes the size of sparrows.

• catdaddyd
      7:29 pm December 31, 2014 Permalink

Because Detroit is a vacation destination, it’s like going to a third world country. Plus you can buy a house for pennies.

12. 3dcatfan
    10:26 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

If Marrow leaves, does it discredit the coaches #WHYNOT especially if he takes the same position at another school?

13. Rixter
    10:29 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Thank goodness Georgia had to play their second string QB, and he was god-awful..m or they may have really put a hurting on the Cards.

• Rixter
      10:32 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

If you didn’t see the game, Georgia’s back-up qb, who played 3 quarters of the game, was Max Smith bad.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I cut Max Smith some slack though because he wasn’t too bad before his shoulder got jacked up, but you’re totally right about UGA’s back-up QB. It looked like he had never thrown a ball before.

• Rixter
      10:43 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, I meant post-injury Max. Before he got hurt, Max could at least complete a screen pass. UGA’s guy looked like he was throwing into a strong wind.

14. btowncatfan
    10:33 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Can’t believe I’m saying this but for me the comeback of the year was the UK men’s tennis team against Clemson in the NCAA’s. They were down 3-1 and their best player lost due to injury (retired) and they came back and won 4-3. I was following on twitter and it was very compelling. And I am in no way a tennis fan, can’t remember the last time I watched a tennis match, but follow all UK athletics teams on twitter.

• Delk for 3
      10:48 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I used to work as a local sports writer in Lexington. Back when Jesse Witten played tennis for UK, I would often cover tennis events at UK. They can be pretty compelling to watch at times, with different matches going on at the same time. It usually comes down to the last couple matches still going on and all the fans and teammates look on and root on the players. It can be quite intense in a rivalry like Louisville or an elimination match like the NCAA’s.

15. Jay in Lyndon
    10:34 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Award for 2014 “Jerk Squad” : Pitino, Petrino, and Walz!

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

“Jerk Squad: The Movie” coming in 2015!

• Sir Brandon
      10:43 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Jerk Squad units are turtlenecks per their imperious leader

16. BlueRage02
    10:35 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I actually want UofL to beat Duke, for (3) reasons: 1) Adds quality of victory to our win against UoL since we don’t play Duke in the regular season, 2) if UoL can stay in the top 4 seeds of the NCAA tourney, less likely they end up in our bracket, and 3) I want Kentucky as the state where basketball is King not N Carolina.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I think Louisville will have a shot to beat UNC and/or Duke at home, but don’t see them winning at either on the road.

• JoeMoney333
      10:44 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Logically that all makes sense and that is the outcome I would want. However, if the game was on and I was watching I would be cheering for Duke.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

J-Dub, I don’t think they play Duke on the road this year. That is a shame, because you can bet that the Cameron Crazies would have a field day with Jones and his phantom broken jaw. How ironic would it be for fans of the floppingest team in college BB to be making fun of another team for flopping.

• J-Dub421
      11:11 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I didn’t bother to check Louisville’s schedule because I don’t really care. I was just guessing.

• Mc12
      12:07 pm December 31, 2014 Permalink

Drinking game for Duke vs. UL: Anytime Chris Jones or Tyus Jones snaps their head back trying to get a foul call take a drink. These have to be two of the biggest flopping point guards in the country.

• catdaddyd
      7:36 pm December 31, 2014 Permalink

We don’t need for other teams to have quality wins, UK will be a number one seed regardless.

17. Sir Brandon
    10:41 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

L1Ctheirpets’headsfallingoff

18. Rixter
    10:41 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Rick said (in public) that he was holding Chris Jones accountable. And he said it with a straight face. He has this bald-face lying down to an art, huh?

19. rnet
    10:41 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

20. BigBlueBob
    10:48 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Louisville’s first game of 2015 is vs Auburn.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I can’t wait to watch that game, it will be hilarious!

21. Rixter
    10:48 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

It occurred to me as Georgia scored their second TD on a long run up the middle.. “Georgia just ran their Chubb right down Louisville’s throat.”

GROAN…………..

22. JoeMoney333
    10:48 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

“He comes out with his guns swinging” – Ryan Lemond idioms.

23. bigcat13
    10:55 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Matt…. Lets start on Friday, a new year, of changing how you belittle Ryan and Shannon… Can you humble yourself over the next 24 hours and start to be less arrogant and a smart ass…?

• Rixter
      10:56 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I’m all for that. I love the show, but that really irritates me.
      I think Empty Suit guy treats Ryan better than Matt does

24. Rixter
    10:55 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

#1 has to be when he used the phrase “squammy mommy”

25. Earache
    10:55 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

My Ryan Lemond moment is his body odor on the tour

26. meeksfor3
    10:56 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Favorite moment has to be John Short ending his call with “Peace out Homie”. Who knew John Short was from the hood?

27. kyjoe4uk
    10:56 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Kyle Tucker just tweeted:

Per source, Mark Stoops does not believe he’s losing Vince Marrow to Michigan. The two are very close and Marrow is UK’s recruiting ace.

28. ukjaybrat
    10:58 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

“I didn’t start [Chris Jones] because of the flop issue” Pitino said, “…That’s something Louisville guys don’t do.”

You sure? Because when Russ Smith had this equally blatant flop last year against Cincy, (see the 55 minute mark of the video), he started the next game against Temple and got 24 points in 23 minutes…

I feel like this is exactly something Louisville guys do.

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

That was pretty funny – the opponent’s elbow was actually moving in the opposite direction from Russ when he flopped. Hancock was another master of the art of flopping.

• RealCatsFan
      11:11 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Who can forget the Will Sheehey flop against Minn in 2013 when he rubbed his cheek against the opponent’s arm and fell to the floor?

I think that was the same game where Crean could be seen swinging his elbows in the huddle just prior to the play, as if to say, try to catch an elbow for a foul.

29. Realme
    11:02 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Best moment of the year has to be the “this is the point where he always hits it” Aaron 3 at Wisconsin. I’ll never forget how that felt.

• J-Dub421
      11:04 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Then hearing the announcer yell, “He did it again!!!”

30. meeksfor3
    11:08 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Best moment on a remote has to be Ryan Lemond cannonballing into Lake Cumberland from the top of a pontoon.

31. Time Expired
    11:08 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I know John Short is a favorite Son of KSR but I am personally tired of him as he really adds nothing to the show and he has way to much trouble pronouncing words and expressing himself.

• Realme
      11:10 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

He obviously struggles with some issues besides just his vision, and calling in makes him happy. You can suck it up and tolerate the calls.

• meeksfor3
      11:12 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

You sir are not a great American.

• Jack Nicklaus
      11:26 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I am a huge John Short fan. The guy knows his UK sports, he is polite and he is always positive and upbeat. We can all use more of this.

• Time Expired
      11:29 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

You sir know nothing about me and being a KSR fan does not make ANYONE a great American. I stated my opinion and am sorry that it upsets you but that is my right a an American and a Vet who served his nation unlike you I am sure.

• ukjaybrat
      11:41 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

**IF** you were a vet, you don’t have to be a prlck about it. it’s supposed to be a badge of honor, not a tool to make other people feel bad.

• meeksfor3
      2:58 pm December 31, 2014 Permalink

Wow someone got their drawers in a wad. First, it was a joke that if you listen to the show and John Shorts calls you should have gotten the reference. Second, just because your a Vet doesn’t mean you are the only one who can have opinions. I am entitled to my opinion and my opinion is you can be a Vet and not be a great American.

32. Edd
    11:09 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Mitch’s call was great, but my money is on Steve turning into a robot.

• Realme
      11:11 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

YES! I wish Robot Steve was a regular caller.

33. WestWorld
    11:12 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Marrow is a Stoop’s brother from a different mother.

34. RealCatsFan
    11:12 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Worst moment of 2014 for me was Chapman’s tweet absolutely sucking the oxygen out of the Championship game for BBN. You will never convince me that the players did not get wind of that before the game.

• Realme
      11:15 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, that was sickening.

• rnet
      11:27 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Totally agree with you. Still feel like he is a major reason we lost the championship.

35. rnet
    11:19 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

36. J-Dub421
    11:20 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I will freely admit to being biased, but I just don’t see doing the same job at Michigan as a step up for Marrow. The Big 10 is a step down from the SEC. UM went 5-7 this season, same as us, but in a worse conference.

• JoeMoney333
      11:24 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

They are a historic powerhouse and the winningest program of all time. Could have said the same thing about Kentucky after Billy G

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Valid point, but it’s still the same position, recruiting coordinator, and I think they aren’t even offering him the tight ends coach spot like he holds at UK. I’m not sure about that though.

• JoeMoney333
      11:33 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Marrow isn’t the recruiting coordinator at UK.

• BTownUKFan
      11:34 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

One of the reasons coaches are so successful in the SEC is because of the longivity of their assistants. Case in point: Charlie Strong at FL. Wisconsin’s coach left the Big 10 after winning a championship to take over at Arkansas, a mid-level SEC school because he knew that was his best opportunity for long-term success. Michigan will have to buck the trend in the Big 10 to get Marrow up there.

• J-Dub421
      11:35 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Yes, he is.He was made recruiting coordinator earlier this season.

37. chardun20
    11:23 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I’m pretty sure Vince Marrow is the Recruiting Coordinator and makes around $300,000 a year.

38. Realme
    11:30 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

I forgot how epic that call was.

39. Delk for 3
    11:39 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

The Marrow news is nothing more than a leveraging tactic by Marrow to get more money at UK. Why would you leave a place in which your job is secure and you’re valued so highly by a head coach you consider a close friend? I think if he stays it will tell us all we need to know about how much he believes in Stoops as a coach.

40. Flagrin-Kidnut
    11:41 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

This Joe B call has gone on 45 seconds too long

41. J-Dub421
    11:42 am December 31, 2014 Permalink

Joe B. Hall just called Jennifer Lawrence “That blonde haired chick.” Lol.