Skip to content

Kentucky Sports Radio

University of Kentucky Basketball, Football, and Recruiting news brought to you in the most ridiculous manner possible.

The Commonwealth’s Top-Ranked Football Recruit Flips to Stanford

@StephenHerron_

The highest ranked football recruit in the state of Kentucky has had a change of heart.  Stephen Herron Jr. announced on Twitter that he has decommitted from Michigan to attend Stanford University.

A four-star prospect from Louisville Trinity, Herron is the fifth-ranked pass rusher in the 2019 class and the No. 86 player overall according to the 247 Composite Rankings.  Recruited as a freshman by Kentucky, Herron committed to Michigan last July.  The rationale behind his decision isn’t something you typically see in a football decommitment message.

With Herron off the board, five of the state’s top ten prospects remain uncommitted.  Kentucky holds a commitment from one in the top ten, wide receiver Demontae Crumes, and is in the hunt for the other five prospects — Milton Wright, Jared Casey, Wandale Robinson, JJ Weaver and Shawnkel Knight-Goff.  Smart money has the Cats landing at least two from that group.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

13 Comments for The Commonwealth’s Top-Ranked Football Recruit Flips to Stanford



  1. runningunnin.454
    1:56 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    Novella of the month; I think we can REALLY file this one under who cares.



    • classof68
      5:08 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

      Really! Why do we care a prospect has switched from Michigan to Stanford? Just more filler you have scroll thru. That would be OK if the site wasn’t so slow.



  2. Alex90
    2:07 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    He FrOm KenTucKy wE goTTa gEt HiM oR wE sUK



  3. jaws2
    2:36 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    Stunned that a football player de-committed, STUNNED I tell you!!!



  4. UKFootballYall
    2:42 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    Maybe his third commitment will prove to be the charm for us.



  5. Mathlete
    3:28 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    There are around 13,000 Division 1 college football players competing for 256 draft spots each year. If you’re in the top 2% of players you’ll (probably) get drafted. If you’re in the other 98%, hopefully you got a degree from a good school.

    Stanford cranks out more future millionaires per year than just about any other school in the country, and also has a solid football program. I can’t argue with this kid’s decision to go there instead of UK, either way he’s probably going to make a ton of money in his lifetime.



  6. ClutchCargo
    4:22 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    Hey, at least he didn’t decommit from UK . And I believe I will take Reid Travis for this kid right now.



  7. zoupman
    5:10 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    Big question to me is how was he able to transfer from his original school and play for Trinity? KHSAA anyone awake?



    • shepdog3720
      5:28 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

      Been doing it for years…wonder why Wandale ended up NOT going there?



  8. chris43
    5:52 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    Fact is if UK had a decent program that is truly on the upswing….this kid would be coming to UK. TOP 100 Player in state and we can’t lock him up. Smh



    • shepdog3720
      9:30 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

      He isn’t an in-state kid, per se….



  9. UoKFB PHAN
    9:03 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    ‘With Herron off the board’. Really??? Come on Nick, everyone knows he is not off the board until there is a signed NLI turned in to a school. Playing for a traditional football power is obviously not what drives this young man. Let’s see what happens this season and give Stoops and the Big Dog time to work. I admit the odds are against us but I’m not going to have a defeatist attitude towards any of the instate guys. I hoping you can give us an update on him in November saying things are starting to change in his recruitment.



  10. blukat
    10:02 pm July 23, 2018 Permalink

    Michigan is loaded on defense with young studs. This guy saw the writing on the wall and decided to go to the soft/non-competitive Pac 12.