The Castle is for sale again

martin27

This news is definitely a few days old (forgive me, I live in Tennessee), but worth posting. The famous castle on Versailles Road in Woodford County is up for sale again for the cool price of $30 million. The castle is 12,118 square feet, has 10 bedrooms, 10 bathrooms, and is surrounded by 50 acres of land.

Most Kentuckians have heard the story behind it. Rex Martin, a wealthy Lexington developer, bought the land along Versailles Road in 1968 to build the castle for his wife after a trip to Europe. Years later during the construction, he and his wife divorced, and it was left unfinished. For years, it sat vacant and untouched, serving only as a tragic tale for passersby. In 2004, Lexington native Tom Post bought the castle to fix it up, but a fire set back renovations another four years, making it seem even more cursed.

Once finished, Post opened it as the Castle Post Hotel, featuring twelve luxury suites, a library, game room, music room, dining hall, ball room, swimming pool, formal garden, basketball court, tennis court, and bar. Here’s a video tour:

If you’re interested in buying, may I recommend using Ryan Lemond as your realtor? He could use the commission.

43 Comments for The Castle is for sale again

1. DEASY
    2:05 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Is that the Old Man from Pawn Stars giving that tour?

2. Catgrad7072
    2:10 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

New KSR compound until Matt paid that photo settlement.

3. Mad Money
    2:16 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

If I’m going to drop 30 mil on a pad, it’s not going to look like something from the Middle Ages and it’s def not going to located in kentucky.

4. Post
    2:16 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

The Castle is a piece of JUNK! I did a tour a few months back and the roof is falling apart and leaks all over. If it is used as a hotel you cant use the pool because it is 9′ deep. None of the stone around castle is real stone, lick and stick kind from lowes. They will be lucky to sell it for half of what they are asking.

5. Chris Hansen
    2:25 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

That guy’s definitely not allowed within 100 feet of a school.

6. Were You Calling From a Walkie-Talkie
    2:25 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

I say this in jest but: it would be so fitting if Cal lived there.

7. asdf
    2:29 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

The Castle should buy the Castle and turn it into the coolest pawn shop on earth. They could pay it off just on what they make from the inevitable realty show.

8. DubbySeaBee
    2:31 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

I hear they are looking for a site to locate a “Fools Hall of Fame” or “Stupid Hall of Fame”. If this site is chosen, wouldn’t Rex Martin be in the first group if inductees? Who else should be included?

9. cracka
    2:34 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

wife and i were married there 1 year ago, it was awesome and was much cheaper than you’d think

• Yam
      2:40 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Man you sound really romantic. Every woman wants a cheap wedding. Of course your wife and her family probably live in a double-wide…

• cracka
      3:17 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

like i said, we were married in a castle and it was awesome …

not sure if you’re married or ever will be, you come across as a complete loser looking to talk ish to commentors on a blog … very cool

• tom
      3:26 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

To Yam- Totally uncalled for comment. I just can’t understand why people want to be so mean spirited. It is beyond me.

• Yam
      3:28 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

To Tom- Kiss my a$$ and suck my dick while you’re at it.

• tom
      3:33 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Yam – LOL. You are areal high class guy. Take care

• SteelyDanny
      3:40 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Yam – Kentucky doesn’t legally recognize marriages between a man and his farm animals. You are misusing the term, “my wife.”

• Yam
      3:44 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

To Tom- I’m mean spirited because I have little dick syndrome. Don’t judge me for how I deal with it.

• Yam
      3:48 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

To Steely Dan- well the guy I found on the Internet to wed us printed off a certificate that said it was real.

10. JeffC
    2:34 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

The Castle brings back memories spent lots of time there when it was slowly being built.The Castle is a great story to remember!

11. Versaillor 72
    2:43 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

When I was younger back in the late 70s there was all kinds of rumors about what was on the inside of the castle. One rumor was that the builder killed his wife in there after they divorced and it was a haunting crime scene. We had a crazy buddy named Randy that we dared to climb the fence and tell what was in there. One night Randy did just that and nobody has seen ol Randy since. Weve heard stories of there being an unfinished dungeon underneath it and my friends and I are convinced that Randy lives there to this day. Somebody please buy this thing and let Randy go.

• NYCayts
      3:24 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

#FreeRandy

• Hassle at the Castle
      5:37 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Dammit Randy!

• dbaker
      9:16 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Shut up Randy!!! You don’t even know….I gotta go

12. Jughead
    2:45 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

At least bourbon and donuts are nearby. It has that going for it.

13. Ya fiyad
    2:48 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

What dunce of a Realtor put this thing on the market – he should have his licensed revoked for insulting the intelligence of the public.

It’s worth closer to 10% of the asking price.

• Yep
      6:46 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Exactly. If he gets an offer of 3 mil he’d better jump on it…
      I laughed at the 30 million… Didn’t he buy it for under 1 million?

14. WTF?
    2:51 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

It’s like you can see that guy thinking to himself, “Don’t look at the camera. Don’t speak in a voice intelligible to humans. Do be as awkward as possible. Do convey extreme levels of apathy and indifference to life.”

15. dallon
    2:51 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

I’d rather drop a cool $80 million and live in Dracula’s castle.

16. Chicago Chris
    3:01 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

I guess adding “Ryan Lemond” to any sentence makes it funny nowadays.

17. James K
    3:06 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Intrigue could’ve probably edited that down to about two minutes. I am interested in the castle and I got severely bored with that after about 1:30.

18. Lexington 3
    3:12 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Even someone trying to dump off a $100,000 house knows to do a little bit of landscaping before trying to sell. This guy never even mows his grass. Probably has about 5,000 old newspapers lost out in his yard.

19. BBNinClearwater
    3:15 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

My daughter stayed overnight on her 13th birthday there.

• Gary Glitter
      3:56 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

You may not want to post that here.

20. kevin wants his alleve back
    3:18 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

From the video, it looks sorta swanky and all, but then they have those cheap white plastic lawn chairs out in front.

21. 250 lbs of hemp seeds
    3:58 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

I’m at this guys castle. He smokes me… Alot

22. Go Figures
    4:01 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

You have to have added a zero to the asking price. Post bought it just over ten years ago for $1.8 million. He’s smoking crack (and getting some high quality stuff) if he listed it at $30 million. You had to have added a zero. I mean seriously.

• Go Figures
      4:05 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

I stand corrected. Dude put it on the market for $30 million four years ago. Has to be an attempt at making a splash and getting free publicity. As a previous poster mentioned it could be several hundred pounds of weed but I just don’t think there’s enough cannabis in the Bluegrass to come up with that number.

• dbaker
      9:19 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Crack is always same quality….

23. Blue Biscuit
    4:32 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

This place has been for sale for several years. I guess the guy’s getting desperate and thinks this video will do the trick. Too bad UK didn’t buy this to house the basketball players, instead of building their new dorm. They would be a lot closer to the airport and Keeneland. And the Versailles Dairy Queen.

24. Michael
    4:37 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

If every KSR fan chips in $300 dollars we can finance this castle. Each member of KSR Nation will get a certificate of True KSR Fandom.

Drew already called dibs on living in the tower.

25. bosshog
    5:14 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

I think this might legitimately qualify as the dumbest real-estate misadventure in Kentucky’s history (and perhaps make a top 50 list nationally). Oh how high the price of vanity!

26. dbaker
    9:16 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

Shut up Randy!!! You don’t even know….I gotta go

27. CPACAT
    9:31 pm May 21, 2014 Permalink

For $30M one would think the basketball court would at least have one goal!!

28. kyle heavrin
    11:30 am May 22, 2014 Permalink

I’d hate to guess what the utility bill is on this place.