The Breeders’ Cup’s Monday Morning Wakeup

It’s Breeders’ Cup week in Lexington!

The annual series of Grade I Thoroughbred horse races makes its Keeneland debut later this week, bringing thousands of race fans and rich people to the Bluegrass from all over the world. The city of Lexington has been preparing itself for this week since it was first announced as the host last summer, and the time is here to show the world it can handle the event.

Attendance is expected to be just shy of 50,000 people per day, which will set a Keeneland record. When those 50,000 people aren’t at the track, they will be participating in several events around town, ranging from bourbon tastings and concerts to film screenings and private dinners. Plenty of fun to be had by all.

Let’s just hope traffic isn’t a disaster.

We will hear from Mark Stoops at noon.

Stoops will host his weekly press conference luncheon a little later today in Commonwealth Stadium. He’ll reflect back on Saturday’s loss in Starkville and look ahead to the upcoming task in Lexington against Tennessee.

Check back for a live stream of Stoops’ comments with a full rundown soon to follow.

Tennessee is favored by a touchdown.

The spread for the Cats’ next game is seven points in favor of the Vols. We’ll break down the game all week long, in addition to plenty of Tennessee hate and mockery.

Can you believe it’s already basketball season?

It just hit me that tomorrow is the Blue-White game and we’ll see the team in its first exhibition game next week.

Mrs. Tyler will share her experience at yesterday’s women’s clinic.

We sent Tyler to the UK Basketball Women’s Clinic yesterday and she will recap her afternoon in Memorial Coliseum here on the site tonight. Be on the lookout for that one. She always has good pics and stories from the clinic.

This pumpkin wins our first annual KSR Pumpkin Contest.

uk-pumpkin

(Note: Do not take this as an invitation to e-mail me pictures of pumpkins. I do not want to see your pumpkin.)

The NBA starts up this week.

Anthony Davis will begin his 2015-16 MVP campaign tomorrow night against the defending champion Golden State Warriors. That game is set for a 10:30 pm tip on TNT, following the Bulls and Cavs opener.

You can see a full list of the NBA Wildcats’ season debuts here.

Matt Jones returns to KSR today.

The host of your favorite radio show is back from Congress Camp in Washington DC. Tune in this morning to hear all about his trip and his thoughts on Kentucky’s loss to Mississippi State.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for The Breeders’ Cup’s Monday Morning Wakeup

1. The Rest of the story
    9:21 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Cats totally embarrassed on the road and this week will be embarrassed at home. Dobbs will have a career game and UK’s season ending nose dive will continue. With a coaching staff still learning how to coach this is the fate of UK football for several years. Here is a hint Coach Stoops, get a real offensive line and defensive line coach because who you got really suck.

2. BlueRedneck
    9:33 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I have tickets to the UT game in sec 27F. We also have parking passes in the B-6 lot. I haven’t been to a football game at Commonwealth in at least ten years. Can anyone offer some constructive suggestions in regards to best route to the stadium, tailgating both before and after the game, etc? Driving in from Louisville, and planning to get there in the early afternoon to hopefully avoid some of the cluster. We have a hotel room reserved, but not sure if I want to keep it at $200+ per night. Might hang out for a while after the game to let traffic disburse, then drive home late. And no need replying about how bad we are going to lose – I am realistic about our chances after last week. Hoping that they will bring a great effort, but we’ll have to see…

• Andrew
      9:48 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

If you’re going early to tailgate, you shouldn’t have too much of a problem (traffic-wise) in getting to the stadium. My advice would be to cancel the hotel, and do what you said regarding tailgating after the game until traffic dies down, then head home.

• CatsBy80
      9:49 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

I drive in from Louisville, as well. I generally get off at the Midway exit (exit 65) and just take Leestown road into Lexington from there. They have expanded the road, so hopefully traffic won’t be too terribly awful. If I were you, I would avoid New Circle, as it will get a lot of traffic for people heading out to Keeneland. I would take Leestown road all the way to downtown and cut up to campus on one of the side streets (Rose or MLK etc)… Not sure there is a perfect route to get to the stadium, as traffic will be a mess with all of the Breeders Cup activities taking place… Just my suggestion. Go Cats.

3. awaiting moderation? are you kidding me?
    9:39 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

What the hell triggers this “awaiting moderation” bs? Wtf!

• basically
      2:29 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

It gets triggered when stupid people type stupid shit. 😉

4. Daniel
    10:20 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

He doesn’t want to see your pumpkin but he does want to see your pumpkins… so snap those to Drew!

5. 2020
    11:35 am October 26, 2015 Permalink

Hope someone asks Stoops about Towles’ 2 td’s and 6 interceptions through 5 SEC games. And I really hope KSR stops saying Towles is one of the best SEC QBs because I can’t any starting SEC QB with a worse ratio in conference play.

• theWilkman
      1:00 pm October 26, 2015 Permalink

KSR isn’t the only one saying it. The national media are as well. Watch the games – this team has many flaws still, and the QB position isn’t anywhere close to the most pressing.