The 58th Annual Grammy Awards’ Tuesday Morning Wakeup

Like most of you, I spent my Monday evening watching the Grammys last night on CBS. The biggest night in music had many ups and downs, from Kendrick Lamar’s performance (UP) to Luke Bryan performing in the tribute to Lionel Richie (DOWN).

But no moment was more down than Lil Bow Wow’s botched introduction to start the show. It was painful to watch, yet hilarious at the same time.

Watch as he fell victim to live television…

Other bad moments include Sam Hunt pretending to be a country musician; Adele being out of tune; Justin Bieber’s sad excuse for a mustache; and Pitbull concluding the show.

The good moments include Kendrick Lamar’s performance; Kentucky’s own Chris Stapleton taking home Best Country Album; Stapleton’s tribute to B.B. King with Gary Clark Jr. and Bonnie Raitt; Taylor Swift’s shot at Kanye West during her acceptance speech; and Adele tweeting “shit happens” about her performance, then treating herself to In-N-Out burger because of it.

Next year we hope to attend the Grammys to see Kentucky Joe and “Got It” take home the award for Worst Song By A Sports Radio Show Caller. I like his chances.

Now for the goods…

Alex Poythress has progressed to running on his injured knee.

The timetable for Alex Poythress’ return is still anyone’s guess, but Kenny Payne told call-in show listeners last night that Poythress is “slightly jogging” and hopes to do more in the next week or so.

Kentucky is ranked No. 14 in both polls this week.

The Cats climbed eight spots in the AP and seven spots in the USA Today to reach No. 14 in both polls in this week’s updated. Win at home against Tennessee and on the road against a struggling A&M team and UK should find itself back in the top ten this time next week.

Tyler Ulis and Jamal Murray swept the SEC Player of the Week awards.

Ulis took home SEC Player of the Week honors after averaging 20.5 points, 10 assists and 2.5 steals in the wins over Georgia and South Carolina.

Murray was named SEC Freshman of the Week for a third time this season with averages of 25 points and 3.5 assists in those two games. Murray’s 85 points in a three-game span is the most ever by a Kentucky freshman.

Ulis is doing pretty well in this Capital One Cup Impact Performance of the Week poll.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 7.32.53 AM

You can add to his lead by submitting your vote here.

John Calipari cannot discuss last Saturday’s ejection.

Coach Cal spoke for the first time since his immediate ejection in Columbia on yesterday’s SEC Coaches Teleconference. Unfortunately, due to league rules, Cal is not allowed to discuss any matters related to officiating. We may never know what really sparked his lashing out at Doug Sirmons.

Around the SEC tonight…

With Kentucky playing the rare Thursday night game this week, you can spend your Tuesday night watching other teams around the league.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 8.07.49 AM

It is still a very tight race for the conference’s regular season title, so keep eyes on South Carolina (8-4), Texas A&M (7-5), Vanderbilt (7-5), Florida (7-5), and Georgia (7-5), the three teams that trail Kentucky (9-3) and LSU (9-3) in the standings.

JoJo Kemp is putting in work this morning.

209 days ’til kickoff.

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for The 58th Annual Grammy Awards’ Tuesday Morning Wakeup

1. david8577
    9:06 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

How is Kanye still in the news? Why isn’t he disfigured from getting his @ss beat over and over again like he deserves?

• Sentient Third Eye
      9:31 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

He’s busy begging Zuckerberg for money because not enough people buy his music to pay for his ultra-expensive trophy wife.

2. threetimesaCady
    9:08 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Diggin’ Jojo’s manssiere..

3. Mc12
    9:28 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Gotta disagree. I thought the Kendrick Lamar performance was bad. I don’t have a problem with him, but I’m sick of race issues being forced down my throat like a stripper at a UL recruiting visit. Are there some issues? I’m sure. However, it’s overly exaggerated in my opinion. It’s not the cops oppressing blacks preventing advancement. It’s more cultural within some of their communities. It starts with parenting, and education. I hope Kendrick Lamar, Beyonce, etc. Spend time in these communities to serve as positive role models and provide large donations to the education systems in these communities. Blaming others is fine if you can also look in the mirror and take accountability.
    It’s all great for the media. It’s an easy click.

• bakju keha
      9:33 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Truer words have never been spoken! thats all the academy awards are gonna be about. no shows and not enough diversity… sad times we live in.

• Jiminy Crickets
      11:45 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

How dare the police “target” these people, when all they ever did was commit a few crimes, and sell a few drugs, while carrying firearms.

99% of people in this country, including people of all color in these “poor communities” are NEVER confronted by the police (excluding simple traffic accidents).

• Catlanta Fan
      11:46 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

The quality of the performance is very subjective. The message, not so much. To say it’s overly exaggerated is to discount some of the obvious injustices in the judicial system throughout history and in recent time. Don’t be defensive and take it as a slight to you. I don’t think either of the artist you mentioned suggested that there’s no work to be done in their own communities. Actually, I read where they both have spent time and money in lower income minority communities to help create jobs and programs so your hope for that is actually something that has happened. They’re simply using their celebrity to shed light on issues that matter to them and that should matter to all Americans. Not sure why that bothers you all. As for the Academy Awards, I believe that’s more personal to Jada Pinkett than it is to the entire black community.

• Mc12
      12:42 pm February 16, 2016 Permalink

I understand their message. However, there are also “injustices” in the manner white criminals are treated by law enforcement. The problem is that although they are attempting to bring about discussions of police injustices, in today’s society that is fueled by social media and the media in general, these few instances are being used to create a generalization that a majority of white cops are out to get blacks. This perpetuates into white vs. Black as well as a woe is me mentality. At one point 24 blacks were killed by law enforcement and 17 non blacks. Based on the percentage of encounters, on a percentage basis this may look even more.
      balanced.
      I’m sure there are some injustices in the judicial system. I’m also sure that many in these communities commit crimes.
      When I was growing up, 1 black in my neighborhood gave another a tough time for doing well in school. Called him an uncle tom.
      If these communities truly want to change this narrative, and this perception they need to change the way they view each other.
      Believe me, the issue as a whole does not bother me. I didnt have a lot growing up, but I had my priorities straight

4. Sentient Third Eye
    9:30 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

The quality of music overall is dramatically down. Except for Adele and Chris Stapleton, I didn’t see anyone else who could have even earned a Grammy nomination twenty or thirty years ago. Where has all the talent and creativity in music gone? Is it just suppressed by record labels to want everyone to sound alike?

5. damage_control
    9:53 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Sorry, I know he’s from KY but what was that s*** on Stapleton’s head? Seemed like he goes to the same barber as Elfrid Payton.

6. D0nc0smic
    10:08 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Hamilton

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:33 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

The problem with Hamilton is a total lack of historical accuracy. Among other egregious errors, the real Founding Fathers did not sing to each other when they spoke.

7. blueballs80
    10:23 am February 16, 2016 Permalink

Is Jojo wearing a training bra?