Thayer Evans’ Friday News and Views

Thayer-Evans

No, no, don’t worry. I do not give Thayer Evans the News and Views honor to praise him, I give it to bury him. If you’ve been under a rock this week, Evans (he of Pete Thamel partnership and Eric Bledsoe/Cam Newton witch hunting) is in the midst of publishing a five-part series for “Sports Illustrated” on the “scandals” going down at Oklahoma State. What are these scandals? Players received money from boosters! (Gasp!) They cheated on tests! (Quelle horreur!) They smoke pot! (No way!) Apparently on Friday, we’ll learn that they have sex with women during recruiting visits, a concept so absurd that I may just have to sit down for a second to deal with the shock.

The internet has given Evans’ expose a resounding “meh” so far (although, if it was about Calipari, everyone would be drooling over it…I digress), but it’s the holes in his story that are becoming the actual story. Multiple Oklahoma State players are coming forward to deny their roles in the story and claim that they were misquoted. Jason Whitlock, Evans’ former colleague at Fox Sports, wasn’t surprised one bit by the shoddy reporting, and threw down the smackdown to end all smackdowns earlier this week on the radio:

“ … When I learned Thayer Evans was involved, I just said, there’s no way I’ll read this because there’s no reason to trust this reporter on anything of any substance. If you go back and look at his track record of reporting and the consistent controversy that surrounds his reporting — he made a name for himself at the New York Times by writing these annual stories about some top high school football recruit that he would buddy up to, follow around with a tape recorder and then report what some immature 17-year-old kid said about the recruiting process. These kids tended to come from single-parent families with the mother working and busy, so there wasn’t the normal oversight and anybody with a brain could see the exploitation that was taking place. … It doesn’t surprise me there are sources in this story saying the reporting was heavy-handed and leading. I don’t want to make the whole thing about Thayer Evans, but there’s just no way to avoid it. I’ve worked with him. He’s simpleminded. He’s a hack that can’t write. This isn’t personal, I promise. I have no reason to dislike Thayer Evans personally, and I don’t. But I’ve read enough of his work this guy isn’t qualified for this job and by now Sports Illustrated and anybody else should be well aware of this. …Let me end by saying this and I honestly mean this without malice. It wouldn’t shock me if Thayer Evans couldn’t spell “cat” and I say in all seriousness.

It’s okay, Thayer. Pete will be over soon with a pint of Ben and Jerry’s to help you through it. Moving on…

cards8

What happened to Louisville Hate Day?

The day before the Louisville football game is typically reserved for Louisville Hate Day around these parts. However, since the Cardinals made some pact with the devil and have had the best year ever, we’re going to push that annual celebration back to basketball season this go around. But that doesn’t mean we’re playing nice. Their team may be good but their fans still suck. We encourage you to share your awesome and embarrassing Louisville fan pictures with us and we’ll post the best ones throughout the day.

We’re not writing Saturday off as a loss either. While Louisville is ranked seventh in the nation, a fact I can’t repeat without hanging my head a little bit, they’re not invincible. Sure, they have Teddy Bridgewater, the best thing since sliced bread if you listen to SportsCenter. But even Teddy is human. Beating Louisville would be a monumental upset for the Cats. A signature win for Mark Stoops. Here are three reasons to believe, but also three reasons to beware:

Three Reasons to Believe

It’s time for the Year of the Cardinal to end — We get it: Louisville had a great year. It’s been shoved in our faces left and right. From Kevin Ware’s injury to Rick Pitino’s nasty tattoo, they became media darlings. And yes, they won the Sugar Bowl, and have bragged about it more than any team in the history of football. (Thanks for nothing, Muschamp.) Louisville’s fifteen seconds in the spotlight are almost up. The lights are coming on in Porcini’s, so pull up your pants, Cards. The winds of karma are shifting, and after a monumentally terrible year in UK Athletics, we are due.

Stoops isn’t holding back — I’ll admit, after watching Kentucky fall flat on their face against Western, I worried that Louisville would absolutely blow them out. A quick start turned rout against Miami has me feeling better, as do Stoops’ comments this week about the rivalry. Whereas most coaches in his position might approach playing the #7 team in the country with an “it’s just another game” mentality, Stoops hasn’t downplayed the significance of the rivalry one bit. In fact, he says he’s going to do everything it takes to win. Kentucky MUST have that attitude going in if they have any sort of shot Saturday. Hyping up the game didn’t work against Western, but hopefully Stoops and the players will find the right mixture of excitement and winning mentality along with a chip on their shoulder coming out of the tunnel.

Keep ’em guessing — I touched on this on Tuesday night, but one of the few advantages of the two-quarterback system is it keeps the other team guessing. While Maxwell Smith will start, Jalen will be used early and often to keep the Cards on their toes. I loved how Stoops used both quarterbacks in the exact same plays at times just to nail that mystery home. The offense still needs work on keeping up with the Air Raid’s pace, but it’s the best way to stay in the game. Roll those beautiful Air Raid Sirens.

cards11

Three Reasons to Beware

Teddy Bridgewater — In two games, Bridgewater has 752 yards and nine touchdowns. With a schedule softer than Charmin, he’s one of the favorites to win the Heisman, and came out of last year’s game against UK in the third quarter to relax on the bench. He’s not just good, he’s really good.

Teddy Bridgewater — Not only that, UK’s secondary is, let’s say, a work-in-progress. Nate Willis has looked good so far and Cody Quinn is back, and they’ll need to do their best and more to keep Bridgewater from hitting his talented, plentiful targts.

Teddy Bridgewater — Teddy’s confidence is at an all-time high, evidenced by the way he waved off the punt team on 4th and 2 last week. Apparently that didn’t sit well with Charlie Strong, but it’s proof that Teddy’s not afraid to call the shots, and more often than not, it goes in his favor. UK will have to pressure him and collapse the pocket, hopefully leading to some poor decisions, or even better, Za’Sacks.

One way you can help the Cats out is SHOW UP! I get that it’s an early game and the couch and HD TV are very comfortable, but if UK’s going to pull the upset off, they’ll need you in the stands being loud. The weather is supposed to be wonderful, so go early, wear blue, and be loud.

tyler-ulis

It’s Time to Get Shorty

Football fanatics, forgive us: on Friday, we will dedicate some time to Tyler Ulis, the 5’9″ point guard who is expected to commit to the Cats at 8:20 p.m. ET. Ulis will announce his decision in front of his friends and family, and we’ll have full coverage. The fact that Ulis is so short still seems to be a BIG DEAL to some fans (to which I direct you to my post earlier about famous NBA shorties), but if he’s good enough for Cal, that’s good enough for me. Plus, this quote from Jahlil Okafor’s coach about Ulis via TJ Walker is pretty awesome:

I think Tyler Ulis is arguably the best pure point guard in the country right now,” Irvin said. “He’s a guy that can get all five guys involved. Speed, quickness, he sees the court unbelievable. I mean, man, he’s a great talent. I put him right up there with Tyus Jones actually. Head-to-head competition actually I think Tyler outplayed him. In my opinion if he goes to Kentucky I think Kentucky, they will be doing what they’ve been doing; year in and year out they’ve had the best point guard in the country.”

(By the way, Okafor’s coach says he enjoyed his visit to Kentucky very much, and that the package deal between him and Tyus Jones isn’t written in stone.)

Ulis’ commitment to UK was the worst kept secret on the internet Thursday, especially when ESPN reported that Michigan State had conceded to pursue “Tum Tum” Nairn instead. Sometimes, I just feel bad for other coaches. Calipari is like the hot girl in the room that turns every boy’s head even if they’re married, dating, or sworn to celibacy.

The gang will be live from Fan Outfitters in Palomar Center in the morning to talk Louisville and Tyler Ulis, so rest up. We’ve got some Cards to kill.

49 Comments for Thayer Evans’ Friday News and Views

1. Dwayne
    11:15 pm September 12, 2013 Permalink

no Louisville hate day? why???

2. TN Cat
    11:21 pm September 12, 2013 Permalink

I’m not bashing Ulis one bit, but I have wondered why Cal has not recruited D’Angelo Russell or Quentin Snider…does anyone know the story behind that? It seems rare that we have two highly rated in state products and I haven’t heard anything about either of them

3. BigKyle
    11:22 pm September 12, 2013 Permalink

4. jimp
    11:33 pm September 12, 2013 Permalink

I just feel so honored that UL is giving us a chance to step out on the field with such a juggernaut, powerful football dynasty. This beats playing Alabama, LSU and Georgia any day. They must have gotten a completely new team because I know this is not the same team that lost to Syracuse and Connecticut last year. Instead of going to the ACC next year I heard they have applied to join the NFL as an expansion team.

5. Cats for life
    11:39 pm September 12, 2013 Permalink

I’ve seen the pic of the tailgating Tards many times. But I just realized the tool throwing up the L is my neighbor! BBN…how do I handle this? He’s always been an a$$, but with this nugget of info, should I ask why his truck hasn’t moved in 3 weeks (we know why – it’s busted and he can’t afford to fix it)?

6. bob
    11:54 pm September 12, 2013 Permalink

#4 UL will beat you as bad as those teams you mentioned.. UK should aspire to be better than the 3rd best team in state. Western looks like a dynasty compared to UK.

7. SeaCat
    11:55 pm September 12, 2013 Permalink

I can’t wait until bball starts!!!
    So we can forget about lame UK football
    Gag, gag, gag!
    At least we can enjoy Awesome SEC football
    in the meantime!!

8. Kristen Geil's Abs
    12:01 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Hey Bob, you are not Teddy Bridgewater. You are just a random loser no one really cares about.

9. Louisville1Cal4
    12:01 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

@6 That’s sooo cute you think UofL is on par with Alabama, LSU, & Georgia! That’s like a puppy & a kitten trying to climb into the same shoe cute. It’s also extremely ignorant, like lighting a match in a propane warehouse with a leak ignorant.

10. Concerned Internet Technology Fan
    12:18 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

#3 scares me. Just a reminder to all KSR fans to never click on a hyperlink on any message board period!! It could possibly contain a virus or ugly malware.

By the way, that is why Yahoo message boards banned hyperlinks on their message boards this past year.

Excellent reporting by Mrs Tyler Thompson! Thanks!

11. theSkinny81
    12:19 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Lil’ bobby boy (#4) has been living on here lately. Poor little guy.

12. Thundercats...HOOOO
    12:28 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

LOL, too funny. I’ve heard Matt talk about Louisville and their stripper poles but just thought it was exaggeration, now we know it’s true. WOW! Oh, and is it just me or is that a tip jar with Rick Pitino’s face on it??? Maybe they were raising money for his next tattoo, how sweet.

13. theSkinny81
    12:36 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

shite. meant #6…

14. Louisville1Cal4
    12:37 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

@12 No, it’s to take up money for him to pay for another abortion & to keep the girl quiet.

15. UKBlue
    12:55 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

As Carlos Marcello, Mafia boss in New Orleans, said about Kennedy. If you want to kill a snake you don’t cut off tail, you cut off the head. Bridgewater is the head that must be taken out of the game. UK D Line must break him (Ivan Drago voice), and make the Florida hit in the Sugar Bowl look like a walk in the park.

16. Smurf Killa
    1:29 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I do d it funny that you guys actually thinks ullis was PayPal cals 1st, 2nd or even 3rd option. All these recruits seen what he did to Ryan Harrow. It’s funny what happens when calipari actually has to coach..

17. UK Freshmen
    1:31 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

It’s not that UofL had the most successful year ever….and it’s continuing, it’s also a fact that UK has had the worst sports year. Ever. In. History. Oh, and that keeps on going too.

18. Joe
    1:37 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, I like you & your writing, & the site. But sometimes y’all kill me it’s like you don’t even read one another’s posts. Just two days ago there was a post about how much trouble ok. State was in. Now it’s all bs? I’m nit picking I guess & bein a turd, it’s just kinda irritating. I agree about Evans tho, he’s a miserable human being clearly. Go cats and carry on with the good work. Man, I must be drunk! Pointless babble on my part

19. aks
    1:46 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Travis Ford was short & he turned out alright.

20. Louisville1Cal4
    2:06 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

@ 17 May want to check that again, UK is 2-0 vs. UofL so far for this current (13-14) school year.
    Also, while you will most likely get the W in football you will get demolished in basketball as usual when you come to Rupp. Pitino hasn’t & won’t beat Cal in Rupp Arena. Ever.
    It took Pitino 4 seasons to put together a team that could beat UK, by 3, on UofL’s home court LOL UofL’s best team in history could barely beat one of UK’s worst (record wise considering level of talent).

21. Women Everywhere
    2:10 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

No, No, No, No, and No. Hahahahahahahahaha!

22. Megan
    2:31 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Tyler, you don’t have to be the hot girl in the room to turn every boy’s head. They’re boys. It’s in their jeans.

23. Smurf Killa
    2:42 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Jaquan lyle is going to absolutely destroy this ullis kid. Him and Terry Rozier are going to be foaming at the mouth to get after this scrub..

24. Lincoln Park
    3:25 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

No Louisville Hate day because we’re gonna get worked. Lets not be fair-weather…. Too late I guess.

25. Do whut?
    4:30 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I couldn’t care less about the accuracy of the Oklahoma State athletics story insofar as I’m taken aback by Thompson’s laissez-faire attitude concerning student-athletes taking payments from boosters, systemic academic cheating, drug use and perhaps most concerning the whoring out of 20 year old college girls in the name of winning football games. Seriously?! The best you got for all of this is “meh”?! I can only assume you’re just that cynical about all of college sports or at least the money making sports. I can also assume you don’t have children and there are more than a few birthdays between you and wisdom. Yeesh.

26. What More Can Be Said?
    4:36 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

We are indeed honored to have posters like “Smurf Killa” and “UK Freshmen” appear here with their fantastic analytical skills. UK Freshmen (the world’s oldest Freshman) in particular, brings so much to the table.

27. Walter Sobchak
    6:10 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I don’t care if Louisville rolls out the AFC pro bowl roster on Saturday, we still hate them and there should still be a hate day. Seeing as about half of the commenters seem to be UL fans now, I would love to see the reaction (and you would get tons of hits). However, I am very happy you used what are probably my two favorite UL fan pictures in this post.

28. Bubba Earl
    6:23 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I believe Mr. Evans may be barking up the wrong tree, ole’ T. Boone Pickens has the clout and the money to permanently close this so called journalist down! I believe it is time to file a lawsuit for slander, absence of malice does not apply.

29. Unboltedharp
    6:52 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Nothing has happened to louisville hate day, it’s 365 days a year and every four years we get an extra day!

30. CliffFrankLou
    7:00 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

That Thayer Evans still has a job as a “journalist” is a testament to the state of journalism and the media overall these days. Astounding levels of willful ignorance, bias, and misrepresentation abound. Yet, these are the folks who feel they have the responsibility to tell us how to think and act.

31. tuxedo park
    7:38 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Hey Matt, do you have a schedule of where the KSR shows are going to be next week? I’ll be in Louisville for business and I’ll have some down time. Wouldn’t mind catching a live show if you have any scheduled.

32. Steve
    8:01 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

1st picture shows 5 Ville Students posing during the 2nd quarter of any Louisville home game last year and the 2nd picture shows someone’s Ville grandma posing during the 3rd quarter of any Louisville home game last year.
    Charlie and the Ville defensive coordinator wonder why the seats ain’t filled during the games!

33. Kardash Kardashian
    8:06 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky over Losersville cause the twins is much taller then there short guards
    Ain’t no way you can win big with short guards no more

34. theSkinny81
    8:20 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

17 – Ho. Lee. Shyte. I’m going to have to save that little gem of a quote. You just exemplified all that is the Louisville mentality in a few grammatically slaughtered, barely coherent sentences. Kudos to you, good sir. You serve your fan base well.

35. bbr
    8:35 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Do Whut – I’m glad someone else responded to this. I was beginning to wonder as I read through the comments preparing to respond in kind. I agree with you pretty much word for word. How sad that we see this as no big deal. I am not naive to believe these things do not happen (or even frequently for that matter), but the frequency at which they take place makes them no less reprehensible. I worry that people with an attitude of “oh well” are going to be raising our next generation of children.

36. red headed step child
    8:35 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Has everyone else noticed the increase in TARD responses on this site since the OBAMA phones grant was renewed? Just an observation.

37. True
    8:41 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Crown Royal guy is a UK fan…just sayin.

38. bigbluejon
    8:55 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

#23…. who?

39. Ralph
    8:55 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Kentucky/Louisville started at +7. That is the biggest bait line I have ever seen. The line is now +14.5. If you are smart you will bet the house on Kentucky to cover that spread. Mark my words people. The Cats will keep it within 7 and may even win the game. They are +425 if you take them straight up. I am placing a large bet for them to cover the 14 point spread and a small wager on them to win straight up.

40. Musehobo
    8:58 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I would say that some of those things mentioned that OK State is accused of are slighlty misrepresented. If you listened to Ryan Russillo the other day on on the SVP show, his cohost addressed some of the issues.

He said that there are girls out there who are willing to hook up with recruits simply because they want to. Their awful decisions are still their decision. Were they being “sent out” like prostitutes? We’ll never know cause Thayer Evans is a shoddy, exploitative tool, and his journalism can’t be trusted.

Money is exchanging hands in many places IS OK State guilty? We will never know cause of Thayer Evans lack of integrity.

Each of these accusations carries some level of actual guilt, a large gray area, and a journalist who will not hesitate, to lie, misquote, or stretch the truth to make athletes look like bad humans. I agree TT may have chosen better words, acting like it’s all no big deal, but the point is we just can’t trust Thayer anyway.

41. Old MacDonald
    9:10 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

“CAT: c-a-t-e-i-e-i-o”

42. Cliff Alexander
    9:10 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Hey, has BBN forgot about me? I’m a true impact player not shorty.

43. theSkinny81
    9:21 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

23 – Who the $&@! is Jaquan Lyle!?

44. Big Blue B-Rad
    9:29 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Whoa Mr. Whitlock. Them’s fightin’ words!

45. RealCatsFan
    9:34 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

“All these recruits seen what he did to Ryan Harrow.”

Such an extremely intelligent quote uttered by one of our feathered bird brain friends. I guess that Ryan Harrow thing really scared off Andrew Harrison, didn’t it big guy? What do you think recruits will be saying about Pitino when Russ Smith drops well into the NBA second round this year after Pitino begged him to come back?

46. Give me a racoon, please.
    11:13 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Underrated part of that picture is the walkie talkie attached to her jean shorts (I don’t call them jorts out of respect for Josh).

47. NKYWildcat
    12:12 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Check out this Thayer Evans article from 2012 after Kentucky beat MSU. http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/kentucky-wildcats-john-calipari-struggle-to-defeat-mississippi-state-bulldogs-again-top-talent-fails-to-find-success-022112

The dude is so biased against Calipari. I tweeted the article to him several times after the title game and of course never heard back.

48. jimp
    1:07 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Don’t be to hard on these UL fans for always saying the L1C4 crap. All this time they actually think they are spelling Cards.

49. bluegrassstu
    1:47 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Jason Whitlock is an idiot. Not a fan of Thayer either, but Whitlock, needs to get a real job. I doubt Le$ Mile$ did anything wrong, how could he when he has E$PN protecting him along with Mike $live? Long live the $EC.