“Tebow bill” coming to Lexington?

Rep. Stan Lee of Lexington is hoping to get the “Tebow bill” passed, which would allow home schooled students to play sports for local public schools.

The bill, named for Tim Tebow, obviously, aims to give “Every Child, Every Opportunity,” and the Lexington lawmaker hopes to bring it to his home state.

Lee told The Herald-Leader, “It’s time for Kentucky to support equal access for home school students. It’s in the best interest of our state to help home school students reach their full potential just like public school students. Tim Tebow is a great example of a successful partnership between home schools and public schools.”

In case you haven’t heard of the Tebow fella, he’s a former Heisman winner and star quarterback for the Florida Gators, who was home schooled by his parents but participated in sports at nearby Neese High School. That worked out pretty well for him, and his bill was created to provide that same opportunity to future Tim Tebows.

Read more on the Lexington proposal for the bill in the Herald-Leader’s story.

Article written by Drew Franklin

51 Comments for “Tebow bill” coming to Lexington?

1. Mathlete
    11:39 am October 19, 2016 Permalink

I foresee a sudden increase in extremely athletic kids changing from public schools to home school if this passes…

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      4:15 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

To be honest this is the largest problem at play here. At this point in time there is no home school regulation of any substance in Kentucky. All other states I have lived in require home school students to take the standardized test at their district public school. They also require quarterly monitoring of their students progress (with audits when requested) if your kids take part in public schools extra-curricular activities. There is a solution to avoiding BUM parents.

2. memphis
    11:39 am October 19, 2016 Permalink

I’m not sure I understand the logic. If you don’t believe in what public schools have to offer, why would you want to take part in a public school activity? It’s picking and choosing what suits you. If my kid can do a mean cartwheel, can they join some random school’s cheerleading squad?

• Piedma Schwartz
      11:42 am October 19, 2016 Permalink

What’s not to understand? Not everything works in absolutes.

• memphis
      11:49 am October 19, 2016 Permalink

I understand that. But if you’re rejecting public schools as not good enough for your child, why would you then accept a perk of public schools? And how would you feel if your kid didn’t make a squad because a home schooled kid made the team?

• RealCatsFan
      12:06 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

I can see your point memphis. I have seen similar concerns at the middle school level – my kids play for their school volleyball teams, and one of the schools in our county pulled up a couple of elementary age kids to the middle school volleyball team, which upset some parents. However, I am pretty sure there is a provision in place that does not allow them to cut a 6th grader from the team to make room for a 4th or 5th grader. However, that would not stop a coach from making up a larger team to take a talented younger kid, and then playing that kid over another who is in the actual age group.

• onsides
      12:57 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Because this way home schooled kids can participate in sports. I

• Piedma Schwartz
      1:11 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

The way I see it, home school parents typically reject public schooling due to aspects of the curriculum. Since sports are extracurricular, assuming the parents pay property taxes in that school zone, they should have that freedom.

2:25 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

I just can’t figure out what people are so scared of. Memphis, you seem to have built up this idea that all homeschooling parents are these people at are just “too good” for everyone else’s public schools. Then, with that assumption, you’ve decided they aren’t fit to be part of your community. Why are you so angry at parents that want to spend more time with their kids and work extra-hard to raise them? Even if they were all as terrible as you wish to believe they are, they pay for the service, so why can’t that use it?
      And isn’t everyone always complaining about participation trophies, but now we’re worried about a more talented kid kicking another kid off a team because they’re better. The only “picking-and-choosing” that seems to be going on here are people’s hypocritical world views.

• memphis
      3:16 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Joe, you seem to have put a whole lot of misread hatred and anger in my post. That’s probably something you should work on. The point I’m trying to make is that I think if you want to take part in public school activities, you should probably have your kid in public school. If you want to have your kid take part in private school activities, you should probably have your kid in private school. If you want to have your kid take part in sex with hookers, you should probably send them to Louisville.

3:26 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Your opinions are great but you aren’t giving any reasons why. I’ve given objective reasons as to the contrary and you’ve yet to offer anything constructive to your opinion.

• memphis
      3:43 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Your tone was hardly objective when you assume that I have some random hostility toward home school parents. I have none. Do I think all home school parents think they are better than public school parents? Of course not. Do I think they should not be part of the community? Of course not. Am I angry that they want to “spend more time with their kids and work extra-hard to raise them?” Of course not. Those are assumptions you made that, to use your words, did not “offer anything constructive” to my opinion.

I will give you credit for mentioning taxes. That’s not something I had thought of. I see your point and think it’s a fair argument.

3:46 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Fair enough, and it was unfair of me to jump to assumptions without giving introductory questioning for clarification of your points.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      4:23 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Unfortunately it isn’t that simple. I am a parent (same wife before it’s asked), that has two kids that are married with kids and two more kids that are in 5th and 3rd grade respectively. For t he older 2 we lived in AZ due to work. I am a white male baptist and was a very small minority (due to religion) in the AZ community I lived in. They taught this religion in school which I didn’t agree with. Teachers, principles, school board, state representatives told me if I didn’t like it I could always home school. So we did. Both of my girls graduated from college. Both took part in extra-curricular activities at the school (band, drama, soccer, softball, dance). So it’s not as simple as it sounds. By the way both of my boys are in public schools in Kentucky.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      5:29 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

RealCatsFan, same thing is going on with my county in boys basketball. Problem I have is that my kid did try out for the team, will make the team and take one of those middle school spots but he is in the younger age group. It’s not fair, but if they open it up is it fair to my kid to not let him try. I didn’t ask for it by the way. I struggled with this a lot and do feel a bit like a hypocrite if I am being honest.

3. RealCatsFan
    12:02 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

I’m OK with this, but they should have to play for a school in their district. You already have enough issues with the Catholic schools in Jefferson County cherry picking the best athletes.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      4:24 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

This happens regardless. I remember growing up in Kentucky and a rich person in the county would set up people with jobs and a place to live to get a talented kid to play in their district. All done under the table. Home schooling won’t fix this but I agree with the play in your district mantra.

4. symphonist41169
    12:24 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Some questions I have are:

1) Would the home-schooled kids still be under the rules and regulations of the Kentucky High School Athletics Association, even though they’re not enrolled in a Kentucky high school?

2) Whether the answer to #1 is ye or no, how is the KHSAA going to be able to verify eligibility regarding academics (not ALL home-schooled kids are brilliant young Einsteins) and especially age regulations.

3) Since a home-schooled kid isn’t enrolled in a public school would he/she be allowed to “transfer” teams at will, bypassing the KHSAA rules regarding residency?

I’m sure there are many more questions but just based on these 3 I’d have to say don’t allow home-schooled kids to play. If it’s that important to them and their parents then they should in enroll in and attend a school, whether it be public or private.

1:29 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

You’re rhetorically asking question’s which have answers out there, you’re just too lazy to go and find them.

• symphonist41169
      3:26 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Gee that was helpful of you. Thanks a lot!

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      4:34 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

1. Yes
      2. See my response to someone above about how it could be implemented, and why it has been shot down in the past.
      3. No, same rules would apply as if they went to school in that district.

5. J-Dub421
    12:34 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

If home schooled kids want to play sports, then they should form their own team of home schooled kids, not just glom onto a public school team. Hire coaches and make your own team.

I also think that any kid who is being home schooled should have to pass all the same standardized tests that public school students have to, and that their parents should have to meet the same requirements that teachers have to meet. What makes any parent think that they are qualified to teach? If you want to teach your own kids at home, fine. Go get a masters in teaching like every other teacher in Kentucky is required by law to have.

• symphonist41169
      12:42 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Well said, J-Dub. If home schooling is so great then why do these kids even need to go on to college? Couldn’t they just continue being educated by mom and/or dad? I seriously doubt that anybody would want to be under the care of a doctor who was home-schooled rather than attended medical school.

1:37 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

A few things quickly that make all of your points completely ignorant. Let’s go reverse order, shall we? (Full disclosure: I do not have kids which are homeschooled, nor was I homeschooled. I just hate stupid)
      – Parents should be as qualified as teachers: False. Teachers are getting paid by the state to do a job. A job requires qualifications. A parent would not be getting paid. Much in the same way that you don’t need an IT degree to work on your computer, or a mechanics course to work on your car.
      – Standardize testing requirements for homeschooled kids varies by state. The important thing would be to ask what the test is required for. Is it to judge the value of a school or teacher? If so why would it be required?
      – They should get their own team and pay their own coach. I guess you think they if they use public athletics they are getting a “free” ride because the coach is getting paid? Teachers and coaches are paid from taxes raised by the state and local governments. These families which are homeschooling are still paying those taxes. So in fact by not sending their kids to public schools, yet still paying the taxes, they are helping the public schools more than anyone else.

Finally – symphonist comment is so pointless it’s not worth responding too.

• Piedma Schwartz
      1:39 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Thanks JoeMoney, seriously. Crazy to see so many people blindly advocating for the government to force people to do things, or else.

• wolfmans uncle
      1:49 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

JoeMoney, appreciate you taking the time to respond to the incoherent idiocy presented in J-Dubs post.

• J-Dub421
      3:13 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

I am paying those taxes too and I don’t even have kids. We don’t get to pick and choose what taxes we pay based on our feelings.

You may be able to putter around with your car or computer without a degree, but what happens when a person doesn’t know what they’re doing and screws it up? They take said computer or car to a professional to repair. You cannot do that with your child.

There are ZERO requirements for parents in Kentucky to have to educate their children. You don’t even have to have a high school diploma or GED to educate your children. Some moron who dropped out in the seventh grade can home school their children. In California there are quite a few parents who are homeschooling their kids because they are anti-vaxers which means that people who are stupid enough to ignore the advice of doctors/modern medicine and bought into a faked and disproven study are now educating their children.

There are education and grading guidelines for parents homeschooling their children, but there is little or often no oversight. Parents are supposed to keep records of attendance and grades, etc., but those things are easily fudged when there’s no oversight. Parents could teach their kids that the world is flat, who is going to stop them?

Parents who choose to homeschool may not be getting paid as a teacher but they are definitely doing a teacher’s job, therefore they should have to meet the same requirements. By your logic JoeMoney, I could go call myself a doctor and and start treating people as long as I don’t charge them any money.

• symphonist41169
      3:39 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

But you’re welcome to try to refute my logic.

3:40 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

On the paying taxes thing, that point is moot. We all pay the taxes because having an educated populous is beneficial to our society as a whole. However, when an opportunity arises to participate in that benefit, one should be allowed to. Just like if you had kids, you should have the ability to participate in a public school funded activities.
      So your issue is with the structure of homeschooling in the state of Kentucky rather than the children being involved in public athletics, which is another, and very valid argument. Perhaps there should be more requirements on parents and/or a more detailed method for ensuring curriculum is properly taught for all the reason stated previously. However, that is not what is being discussed here with the “Tebow Bill”

• J-Dub421
      3:52 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

No, but educational requirements do factor in to eligibility requirements for sports. I am not sure of the requirement for public schools because I went to private schools, but we had to maintain a certain GPA in order to be eligible to play sports at my school. If public schools have similar requirements, then how do you enforce that those educational/academic standards are being met in regards to homeschooled kids?

I did digress off the topic of the “Tebow Bill” but, you responded, so I figured we may as well discuss it.

4:03 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

(I’m about to be busy for the night so this is a quick and sadly last post for a while)
      I am aware I am about to ask a bunch of rhetorical questions with no real answers.
      I would have to look but the main question I would have is are the requires set by each individual school, by the district, or by the state. If so you would likely have the similar entity setting the requirements. Also even with those standards how to you ensure there isn’t any fudging of the grades. The issue is you see that same problem in public schools. My mother is a teacher and I coached High school athletics so I understand in places, depending on the student’s athletic ability, the grades and requirements are fudged so it is a problem that isn’t even solved now. So I agree this needs to be addressed and is not an easy or possibly even solvable issue. Perhaps I am just an optimist trying to look at what would be best for the honest parents and children out there.

6. meeksfor3
    1:29 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

I don’t have a problem with it because the public school system isn’t for every kid. Like it or not but as public schools are being forced to teach certain things such as evolution, sex education in elementary school and about the Muslim religion there may be more kids either go the home school route or to private schools. If you want separation of church and state then fine but don’t force my kid to learn about the Muslim religion either as they tried to do this year.

1:39 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

You had a good point when you started and then you just kept going…

7. Piedma Schwartz
    1:36 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

At the end of the day we’re talking about after school sports for kids 18 and under. Just let the kids play. I wish people wouldn’t make everything into a partisan battle.

1:39 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

You, you make sense… I like you.

8. madarchitect
    1:55 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Pandora’s box…

With the logic that some of you all are using regarding school districts and tax money, why couldn’t children that attend private school play sports for the public school within their district?

• onsides
      2:03 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

If the private school doesn’t have the sport a kid wants to play, that’d be fine.

2:17 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

That’s not really a pandora’s box at all. Onsides had the first point: If the sport isn’t offered why couldn’t they. Secondly, most private schools have athletics programs and facilities where homeschools do not so it isn’t an apples to apples comparison. I for the life of me can’t figure out what people are so scared of when it comes to homeschooled kids.

• J-Dub421
      3:18 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

If my small company doesn’t offer health care plans, can I just go join the employee health plan of some other company? No, because I don’t work there.

3:42 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub421 your previous comment was much better. This is a rather weak metaphor. We are talking about publically funded entities and not private companies.
      However, this metaphor is funny because in fact, if a small company does not offer a health plan you can in-fact get health coverage from a government entity. Just like how if a homeschool kid doesn’t have an athletics team he can get one from his publically funded government entity.

• J-Dub421
      4:03 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Not all companies are private, some are publicly traded, I still can’t join their health plans. Last time I checked Humana and other similar health care insurance providers are private companies or publicly traded entities, not government entities, and I have to pay for my own insurance. So, homeschool kids can form their own team and pay for their own coaches and facilities. They can have access to the league of publicly funded government entities (public schools) to play games against.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      4:44 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub just because you are publicly traded doesn’t make you a public resource. As you probably already know it just means that a portion of the company can be purchased by ATB, JDUB, etc. Your point means that they pay taxes and have to pay again for facilities, coaches, etc. However, it can’t just be done in a vacuum, There are a lot of bad home school parents. There are a lot more bum public school parents. Without proper regulations and support in place, it can’t be done but I have seen it personally successfully implemented in other states even though my younger kids go to public school in Kentucky.

4:47 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Okay you’re taking a terrible metaphor way too far at this point. Second I’ve now got to do concede that they can use publicly funded stuff now you are being picky and choosy on which publicly funded stuff. The fields the leagues and the coaches are all funded the same. so the line which you’ve now drawn is completely arbitrary. it seems only to fit your believe that they shouldn’t be allowed on public school teams.

• J-Dub421
      5:13 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Why are you so opposed to homeschooled kids forming their own team? How is that not a viable alternative to letting them join teams at a school they do not attend? Or, they could play for various club-level teams, basketball – AAU, swimming – USS, I don’t know what the association names are, but there are club teams in volleyball and soccer, none of which have any school affiliation and are open to everyone.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      5:25 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Club teams are fine in the city, not for rural areas.

9. memphis
    3:26 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Joe, it’s not about fear. It’s about fair. And for the love of God, please spare me a “Life’s not fair” lesson.

3:44 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Did you just make a comment which has such an obvious counter you had to tell me not to use it ahead of time? You seem to already have refuted your own point.
      However, you haven’t said once what about it isn’t fair. I’m waiting to read your reasoning.

• memphis
      4:05 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

Kid breaks school rules or fails a class at a public school and is benched. Kid fails a subject at home and plays because the parent doesn’t report it to their coach. There is potential for two kids vying for the same spot to have to play by different rules. How do you explain to your kid who loses their spot that they lost it in a fair competition?

I asked you spare me the lesson hoping you would offer any possible argument other than the one that required the least amount of critical thinking. I hope I didn’t make you wait too long.

4:40 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

You realize I couldn’t offer you any argument because you hadn’t made a single critical point to counter or even offer an opinion on.
      On the issue of lying orcounterfeiting grades so that a student is eligible that happens in Publix school situations all the time. So to act like this would only be a homeschool issue is an unfair assessment of the situation. but the easiest argument I would give is that it’s unfair to punish the honest homeschool parents and children because you’re afraid of the evil that some parents and children may commit. an evil that is committed aplenty in public school systems.

• AlwaysTrueBlue
      4:50 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

So from personal experience. I know for a fact when I went to school, that I was allowed to sit beside several other person to ensure that we had certain players eligible to play, in public school. In fairness to memphis point, some measures need to be put in place if your child is going to participate to ensure fairness. As I said other states, FL and AZ in particular required taking of the standardized test, quarterly reporting, random audits, and quarterly exams conducted at their school within district (test material provided by the home school instructor usually modified by the test giver to avoid cheating – which I know can be a bit jaded as well) to ensure they are being taught if they were going to participate in schools extra-curricular activities. There is a way but this doesn’t exist in Kentucky as of yet. Or to simplify it make them take the standardized test and meet a certain criteria or be ineligible for the entire season.

10. runningunnin.454
    6:16 pm October 19, 2016 Permalink

And it’s almost BASKETBALL season!!!
    Ha Ha Ha Ha