TaxSlayer and Texas A&M (Tuesday Show Thread)

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

After completing two road trips in three weeks, the KSR crew is back in the studio.  They’ll talk about Kentucky’s TaxSlayer Bowl, but there’s little time to linger.  Kentucky takes on Texas A&M tonight in Rupp Arena, the first home game since December 7.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

72 Comments for TaxSlayer and Texas A&M (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. ukjaybrat
    10:07 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Happy new year guys (now that we are back for the first show of the year).

The SEC was getting a lot of shade early because of losing a lot of bowl games. they brought it back to an even 6-6 which isn’t the best record, but also isn’t too bad either. especially considering a few of those teams were pretty big underdogs:
    Arkansas (7-5) / #22 Virginia Tech (9-4)
    South Carolina (6-6) / South Florida (10-2)
    #14 Auburn (8-4) / #7 Oklahoma (10-2)

Howverer, I think we can all agree the Big Ten was the most dissappointing conference this bowl season. They ended up 3-7 overall. They had 4 teams in the top 10. 3 of them lost and only wisconsin won, and only by a little against that directional school that managed to rack up a bunch of wins against garbage teams.

• secrick
      10:11 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Yeah the media loves it when the Sec loses it seems. We did do pretty good and will end up 7 and 6 hopefully. When are they going to stop over rating Ohio State?

• RexRox
      6:13 pm January 3, 2017 Permalink

I believe Bowl W-L records are the worst way to measure conference strength. So many teams just fail show up for the bowl game. For a team who had title aspirations just a few weeks earlier, it is hard to get up for a mid-level bowl. Non-SEC teams on the other hand almost always show up to prove their manhood against the SEC.

2. @GoCayts
    10:11 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

iHeart working for you guys?

3. RealCatsFan
    10:12 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Tree is dead – probably an ash tree killed by the borers. This will become a major problem in the years ahead.

The thought of Matt operating a chainsaw is both entertaining and terrifying. 🙂

• Realme
      10:15 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Dead and potentially dangerous. Shouldn’t it be his landlord’s problem though?

• J-Dub421
      10:16 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Matt probably wouldn’t know how to start a chainsaw, so no worries.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:18 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Nevermind him adjusting a loose chain or differentiating between 2-cycle oil and bar oil

• RealCatsFan
      10:19 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

RM, yep – forgot that Matt is a renter instead of an owner.

• That footage of him running in that softball game comes to mind. I’m no (insert your favorite HGTV home improvement expert here), not by a long shot, but I’ve learned a few things over the years. YouTube vids help a lot.

4. secrick
    10:13 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I have to say Johnson saved our season in football but he has got to stop fumbling the football. I think we win that game if not for that fumble.

• RealCatsFan
      10:15 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Louisville fans are saying the same thing! 😀

• That scoop & score was crushing, but our D didn’t handle the option very well either. I know Freddie M. says he would’ve told us we’ll win if we had told him beforehand taht we’d give up only 26, but they controlled the ball a great deal.

Here’s the other thing: WE SHOULD HAVE KICKED IT ONSIDE AFTER OUR TD EARLY IN THE 4TH QUARTER!!! Even Nick Saban did that (or faked a punt…I forget which) last year late in the championship game against Clemson. After the game, he mentioned that he did it in part because their D wasn’t playing that well. UK needed that extra possession to have a chance and keep it out of Tech’s option offense’s hands.

• Bama’s D wasn’t playing that well at the time I mean.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Hope everyone had a good NY. Mine was pretty laid back. Spent yesterday painting a bathroom and installing a commode. Fun!

• RCF, come help me with put in my new light fixture and tackle the horrid wiring that the previous owner left me! I pay $1.00 an hour. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I wouldn’t promise you that your garage door wouldn’t go up when you flip the light switch. 😉

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

My first house was like that. I had a three way light switch to the garage that also powered another circuit. Even had a friend of mine who is a pro electrician look at it, and he went away with a headache.

• Hah! No garage. I wish I had one!

6. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

If I’m stuck on an elevator with Tom Jurich, I am going to do my very best to try to work up a fart.

• J-Dub421
      10:20 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Lol! 🙂

7. J-Dub421
    10:27 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Georgia Tech threw chop block after chop block after chop block, and several of our players were injured because of it.

• RealCatsFan
      10:30 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I’m not generally for cheap shots, but would have loved to have seen Stoops send in a seldom used lineman as a “goon” to take out the knees of the worst offenders on Tech’s line. Send a few of their guys to the sideline with blown ACL’s, and see if the message gets across to their coach.

• J-Dub421
      10:36 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I hate when players do that too because undercutting a guy in the air is a great way to injure someone. I really wish officials would crack down on cheap shots like that. I have been concerned about all the very hard hits and falls Briscoe has taken this season.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:45 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Exactly right. Tech routinely engaged a lineman with one guy up top and had a second guy cut block down low. That is illegal, but I think the refs only called it once the whole game. I don’t know how they justified the non-calls? Maybe the top guy was releasing at the last second? The defender is still focused on the top guy, and that constitutes engagement It should have been called.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Tech was only called for one chop block, but they did one on almost every play. The refs also missed the extremely obvious pass interference by the defender on Dorian Baker’s touchdown catch. The ref was right there but somehow missed Baker’s jersey being pulled a foot away from his body. It was so obvious I saw it in real time, and it was really obvious on the replays.

• Yoda
      10:55 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Right. So Navy, Army, etc – all programs who use the triple option and employ the totally legal cut block – are questionable? Keep telling yourself that. We just got outplayed and outcoached. Next you’ll tell us Russia hacked our gameplan…

• Realme
      10:57 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

We got outplayed, AND they play dirty. It’s not either or.

• J-Dub421
      10:58 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Go talk to Adrian Middleton and Alvonte Bell about their knee injuries.

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I haven’t even discussed the blatant targeting hit on Charles Walker that wasn’t called yet.

• And the bull crap call on Kash for piling on. Go back and watch it. The whistle had not blown yet.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:19 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

If the defender is already engaging one offensive player, any other offensive player who decides to cut block is committing an illegal chop block. That is the rule. Numerous times, Tech committed chop blocks instead of merely cut blocks.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Cut blocks are along the lines of a basketball player sliding under his opponent when they are driving to the basket trying to get a charge call.

9. nicky
    10:30 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

LOL @ the liberal Jones lamenting the fact that the crap people sucking up all the funding/attention while those that achieve excellence get nothing!

Oh the irony! (and hypocrisy)

• RealCatsFan
      10:36 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Now that the republicans have control of the white house and every other branch of the government, everything will be GREAT and life is gonna be rainbows and lollipops. (Well, maybe not rainbows – word is that most republicans don’t like what they represent.) 😀

• Don’t forget the rainbow was originally a sign from God to Noah. 😉

• runningunnin.454
      10:50 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

“Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows”
      Lesley Gore

• RealCatsFan
      11:06 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Was Noah a republican or a democrat? He saved the animals, so maybe a democrat, but he also cut down a bunch of trees to build his boat, so probably a republican. Who knows, maybe he was a member of the Green Party? Maybe the Bull Moose party? 🙂

• I think they only had the Whig party then. Hah!

10. Laker Cat 18
    10:31 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Our wide receivers dropped a lot of balls as well. Jake Johnson would fix that problem. He’s a possession guy who just happens to be a playmaker as well. Hint hint.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:39 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Boom has had too many injuries already to chance it. BBN will miss him, but we don’t fault him. Good luck, Boom!

• secrick
      10:42 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

You are so right , GOOD LUCK BOOM

• J-Dub421
      10:45 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Running backs have such a short shelf life in the NFL now and get so many injuries. Boom is making the right decision for his future. He’s coming off a 1,000+ yard rushing season; strike while the iron is hot.

• Agreed.

Just think about that amazing reverse direction TD run he had against UF in OT: I agree with Matt. If we had pulled that game out that would be on every UK highlight reel of all time plays, one of the top all time plays.

• Realme
      10:56 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I will miss Boom, hope he makes us proud at the next level. However I won’t miss wondering why Benny is not getting more carries. He’ll be top dog now, and should become a real star.

• Rixter
      11:27 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Boom was Top 40 in the country in rushing yards, and Top 20 in yards per attempt. No way he could risk injury to try to improve on those solid numbers. And lets face it, given his history, all of BBN held it’s breath every time Boom got tackled.

12. secrick
    10:41 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I liked when Stoops went out on the field to protect his players from the chop blocks. Not sure those to Coaches like each other.

• runningunnin.454
      10:47 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Stoops said he had no problem with the GT head coach……everybody believe that?

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

rg – hell to the no!

• ukjaybrat
      11:08 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

i think there is an unspoken rule about calling out other head coaches publicly.

13. Sentient Third Eye
    10:46 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Coach K always has “back trouble” when his team falls apart.

• J-Dub421
      10:52 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I wonder if he’ll take any losses while he’s out on his record, because he sure didn’t the last time.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I hope he recovers and doesn’t have to deal with a lot of chronic back pain – wouldn’t wish that on anyone. But I also hope that dook implodes and he decides this would be a great time to go ahead and retire. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:18 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

He was waiting for a rainy day to have the surgery……and, …it’s raining.

14. 2thepoint
    10:56 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, I know he applied to have those losses removed, but did they actually remove them for him? If so they should have removed any wins as well.

• RealCatsFan
      11:01 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Of course they did. When K poo’s, the NCAA wipes his hiney for him.

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

K took credit for the wins, but not the losses. The losses were put on the record of the assistant coach that K threw under the bus for that season.

• Realme
      11:05 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

That’s bs. I don’t mind him not having losses he didn’t coach on his record, but he shouldn’t be able to claim wins he didn’t coach either.

• Are you serious? They purged the L’s but not the W’s? How does that work?

• ukjaybrat
      11:13 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

i think his argument was that he coached his team well enough to win while he was gone so should get credit for the wins, but the losses were all because he was not able to make in game coaching decisions. which makes sense, but is a completely garbage argument.
      maybe they WON those games because of his assistant’s in game coaching decisions. he really is the worst… well no actually louisville is… he really is the second worst

15. RealCatsFan
    11:43 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

Stoops should chop block the referee instead of kicking him.

• J-Dub421
      11:44 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

With Stoops going low and Marrow going high…

16. Realme
    11:45 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I can’t argue that it’s a good thing, but I really enjoy Stoops’s temper. Same with Cal. Watching him get ejected from South Carolina and losing his mind was really fun for me. If one of my family members acted like that I’d be mortified, but in my coaches, I love it.

17. Booby Petrino
    11:53 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

So I just had to uninstall the KSR app because you all won’t allow us to turn off notifications, even though we turn them off. That sound it makes it awful. If you all ever fix that I’d be happy to install again.

• Realme
      11:54 am January 3, 2017 Permalink

I’m probably going to uninstall as well. I miss being able to read / leave comments.

• Booby Petrino
      12:07 pm January 3, 2017 Permalink

yeah I was disappointed about the comments but they did say they were hoping to add it in the future. But when you turn off notifications for an app and they keep coming, and they sound like you stepped on a frog, that’s where I draw the line.

18. UK Big Board Update