Talking Louisville and getting you ready for football (Friday Show Thread)

On today’s edition of Kentucky Sports Radio radio, Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond bring you two hours of laughing at Louisville and previewing Eastern Michigan from the Springfield Tourism Sorghum Festival.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

75 Comments for Talking Louisville and getting you ready for football (Friday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:04 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

So did Cal convince Congress to investigate the bball scandal while he was in D.C. this week?

2. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Check out Dan Le Batard clip from last night…very funny. They said Pitino could possibly find a job at UMASS; but, they’re the Minutemen…and he can’t last that long.

• My favorite part was “Van Helsing is not walking through that door!”

Big surprise huh??? 🙂

10:43 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Pitino can go join Coach K since they’re both vampires.

• Realme
      10:44 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Totally disagree. K is a vampire. Pitino is a rotting zombie. That’s why K is so much better preserved looking.

• runningunnin.454
      10:44 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Yep, they portrayed Pitino as a vampire; so, that means two of our rival coaches were vampires…K can’t look at himself in the mirror either.

10:51 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Pitino is Skeletor. Now where’s He-Man when you need him?

• RealCatsFan
      11:15 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Yep, K is obviously a vampire because he has not aged at all in 40 years. Pitino has aged considerably. K looks exactly like he did when he took the Duke job back in the 80’s. A high pressure job like that markedly ages normal, mortal human beings. K is obviously not human. Someone needs to start an investigation. There has to be an NCAA rule against vampires coaching teams.

11:19 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Has anyone ever seen K’s reflection in a mirror? Or have we ever seen him in sunlight?

3. Realme
    10:10 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I don’t care how it’s supposed to be pronounced. I just wish Matt would stop saying sorghum.

4. DrSayre
    10:11 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

That makes me feel better that Dewayne Peevy wont be going to Louisville…

• Realme
      10:12 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Gross. Why would he even consider that?

• ukjaybrat
      10:15 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

a lot more money

10:44 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

A lot more money, under the table, taken from the foundation.

• ukjaybrat
      10:46 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

surely those days are long behind them. if they get caught doing ANYTHING again, they will likely be hammered by accredidation, ncaa, acc, fbi. hell trump might just nuke the city at that point.

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

You sure Trump wouldn’t try to get in on it? 🙂

5. secrick
    10:12 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

454 , They did not say that, did they?

• runningunnin.454
      10:18 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, they did. They also said Pitino could have gone again and still beat the shot clock.

• RealCatsFan
      10:31 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

HaHa – not at his age. It’s like the country song – I’m not as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was. 😀

6. Realme
    10:18 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Keeping Jurich would be the stupidest, most Louisville decision they could make. I question even keeping that one assistant coach on staff. If they cleaned house during a previous scandal, they wouldn’t be in this one.

• runningunnin.454
      10:25 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

He looks like a mobster. But they had to keep Padgett; he knows the system, and they couldn’t wait.
      He’s pretty young, and I doubt he has dirty hands.

• Realme
      10:27 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

But how could he be on that staff and not A. know what was going on or B. be tarnished by all the corruption?

10:50 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Keeping Padgett at this point may be a necessity. Most other coaching staffs are set, everyone else has already made their off-season hires, etc. I really don’t know who they could get, other than Crean. If they went outside now, they would have to take whoever they could get quickly from whatever little is available.

• runningunnin.454
      10:52 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I meant Jurich looks like a mobster, I don’t know anything about David Padgett or what he looks like.

• RealCatsFan
      10:55 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Sigh – moderator bot strikes again. That ruins my theory that Jurich was behind the random thread moderations.

• RealCatsFan
      10:58 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

What I was trying to say before I was so rudely moderated was that Mike Brey looks more like a mobster than any coach I know. Although he is supposed to be a really nice guy.

• Realme
      11:01 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Jurich practically IS a mobster, let alone looks like one.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Brey is a great coach…he gets the most out of his players.

11:05 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Huggins looks like he fell out of an episode of The Sopranos.

7. classof68
    10:23 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Matt – Think IRS. Do you think all the IRS laws were followed on those illegal payments? I doubt if the parties involved paid taxes on their windfall. There were probably 2 sets of books used, as well as money laundering.

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Yep, all about the money trail; so I don’t think the FBI is really interested in Pitino or UL. However the NCAA is another matter. I doubt anybody goes to prison, but they did devote 2 years on this investigation.

8. DrSayre
    10:27 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Listening to the Jerry Eaves show the day the NCAA put them on probation was really interesting. The woman on that show was just crushing them.

• DrSayre
      10:27 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

If the Jerry Eaves show ran the Athletics Department, this whole thing wouldnt have happened

9. Realme
    10:29 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Someone on Twitter yesterday tweeted Matt asking if it was time to welcome Wayne Turner back into the fold. Huh? I don’t think BBN ever rejected him.

• ClutchCargo
      10:48 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

He was never out of the fold, as far as I’m concerned. One of the greatest competitors UK basketball has had in my lifetime.

• Realme
      10:50 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Same.

10:53 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Same. The BBN loves Turner. Also, one of my friends at UK was one of Turner’s tutors, and she always said that he was really nice.

10. RealCatsFan
    10:30 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I often listen to Jerry Eaves’ radio show that follows KSR on 1080, and although it can drag a little bit sometimes, I think he brings an introspective and unbiased view to college basketball. He seems like a good guy, but not sure he would bring the results on the court that UofL fans would want.

Louisville’s best bet is to stick with Padgett for a year or so (assuming he is clean) until the FBI / NCAA stuff finally starts to clear up, then try to find a young, upstart coach to come in and rebuild the program. In any case, it may be years before they are back to the level they were the last couple of seasons. Kind of bad for the rivalry – this means that the Duke / UNC rivalry will get even more hype over basketball in this part of the country, and that is bad for UK Basketball. My hope is that UK will emerge unscathed from all of this, and UNC and Duke both get nailed in the middle of it (would be nice to see Kansas get hit too). College Basketball would be a wonderful thing if that happens! 🙂

10:46 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Eaves seems like a decent and reasonable dude, but his shoe is a snooze-fest.

10:46 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Sign, show, not shoe.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:03 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

If Louisville cleans up as they should, it will make their program better and it will improve the rivalry with UK. Of course, that requires that they do what they should….so based on their previous track record…

11. runningunnin.454
    10:31 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I can’t get my head around the Pitino thing. When he came to UK, we were on probation for a recruiting violation. Then, this summer, he was suspended for 5 games, his program was on probation, and games were being vacated, possibly a national title.
    How does he involve himself in this mess a mere 4-6 weeks later? Unreal.

• Realme
      10:35 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

He’s got that arrogant bullet proof sense of self that all the disgraced politicians have. Their brains seem to be wired without humility or the ability to take ownership of their own transgressions.

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I think I actually saw a Cards fan address this on Card Chronicle – he said that someone with a mental illness like Pitino does not think like a rational human being. He may have a point. Pitino is a brilliant coaching mind – no doubt about it – but he has shown signs of having a narcissistic personality disorder.

10:55 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Pitino had too much power for too long and it went to his head. He got away with never being questioned for far too long. The media was complicit in Louisville’s scandals because they never held Jurich or Pitino accountable for anything and gobbled down all their lies.

• Remember when he was confronted (I think by Jerry Tipton as soon as he got off the plane on his first trip to Lexington) regarding a recruiting violation that happened when he was at Hawaii? He said you don’t have to worry about cheating with Rick Pitino.

• ClutchCargo
      12:35 pm September 29, 2017 Permalink

The most brilliantly ironic thing about this whole fiasco: 1989 Rick Pitino might be the only guy who could and would quickly and effectively restore the University-6 program back to prominence. And 1989 Rick Pitino isn’t walking through that door.

12. THE “LIKE” BUTTON IS BACK!!!

13. RealCatsFan
    10:44 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Matt saying that Jurich is “totally neutered” brings up some hilarious images in my mind. 😀 Actually, Rick may be the one who needs to be neutered. 😉

10:56 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Might have kept him out of some trouble.

14. runningunnin.454
    10:49 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

So does all this mean Louisville’s recruiting pitch is no longer…We’ll get you laid, and we’ll get you paid”?
    ( I stole that one, too).

15. classof68
    10:50 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

There is no sorghum.com, but there is a sugarcane.com. One out of two – that’s pretty good for Ryan.

16. Realme
    10:52 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I hope Jordan Jones is better before the second half of the season.

10:57 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Someone on here yesterday (Clutch Cargo maybe?) said they were trying to keep Jones out until after the bye week to make sure he’s fully healed.

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

That sounds like a smart plan, J-Dub.

• ClutchCargo
      11:11 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I swear I read it somewhere, so I didn’t make it up.

11:22 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Wasn’t saying you did, just that I’d read it from you. 🙂 You aren’t one of the idiots who likes to spread unfounded rumors, plus it makes sense. We don’t really need Jones the next two games, so why risk it. I’m glad to get Baity back though.

17. RealCatsFan
    10:52 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

What trick play in the Florida game? Is Matt talking about the first play where we left the receiver uncovered? That wasn’t a trick play, unless Florida duped out defense into being incompetent.

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Yeah the Vandy thing last year was a trick play; but, the open receivers last Sat was all on us.

18. RealCatsFan
    10:57 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Dick, stop being soft on Pitino.

(see what I did there?) 😀

19. J-Dub421
    10:58 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

#U6C2 needs to become the new #L1C4.

• RealCatsFan
      11:10 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I sent that to a buddy who is a UofL fan. He sent me a picture of himself all dressed up in UK gear – said he was switching sides. He lives near Morehead, so he would probably fit in better that way.

11:23 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

There may be a few converts to the BBN in the coming days and weeks.

• Realme
      11:25 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

How do you guys feel about that? Most of the Card fans I know I wouldn’t want, but I can think of a couple that I’d welcome.

11:27 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I have some close friends who went to U of L who are good people, and I’d welcome them. They wouldn’t switch sides though. Most of the ones you’d want wouldn’t switch. Anyone who does may not have been that much of a fan anyway. The really obnoxious ones will continue to be delusional.

• RealCatsFan
      12:48 pm September 29, 2017 Permalink

I am a UofL graduate, but life-long Cats fan. I don’t usually actively cheer against Louisville most of the time (Petrino being the exception, and of course if they are playing UK), but I don’t cheer for them. If I had to, my heart surely wouldn’t be in it. For example, during the dark days of UK’s probation, I never thought once about getting UofL gear and switching sides. I weathered the storm along with the other true-blue UK fans. I suspect the passionate UofL fans that I know would be the same way. If they switched, I would suspect that their heart isn’t into it, or they were a very casual UofL fan in the first place (i.e., bandwagon fan).

20. Realme
    11:00 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I used to really like Vitale, but in the last several years I’ve grown so sick of him constantly scolding the sports world and telling us all what we’re allowed to think. Way too biased to be such a moralizer.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:06 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

I did enjoy him yesterday blasting Duke for taking the kid who “graduated early” to play. He didn’t mention the kid or Duke by name, but everyone knew who it was about.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:18 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Please, PLEASE let the FBI haul Duke into their investigation. Time to implode the Death Star!

11:25 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I’d love to see Emperor Palpatine go down finally.

22. Realme
    11:44 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Give ’em hell Drew.

23. Tip from CG: I’m hearing the commercial for the Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas concert. If you have a chance, GO! We saw them years ago in Bham and it was awesome!

24. Our power was out at work and I just now got back online. What did I miss?

• Realme
      11:52 am September 29, 2017 Permalink

Matt and Shannon were starting to feel sorry for Coach 2, and Drew called in to straighten them out.