Talking Calipari and football staff additions (Wednesday Show Thread)

Screen Shot 2016-04-01 at 8.58.46 AM

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, and Shannon will discuss the latest news, including a potential addition to the football staff and John Calipari’s press conference this afternoon. Plus, a lot of other really random stuff.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

16 Comments for Talking Calipari and football staff additions (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:46 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

Shannon, time for a contract. Now! The Fox is no more and will be Alt 93.1. Hopefully you are still going to be on there.

Uncle Matt, how was the Twister video last night in downtown Lexington? I almost went.

2. RealCatsFan
    9:59 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

In case anyone missed it, the interview of the now infamous “Mayfield Tornado Couple” was completely epic! The shirt that the dude is wearing absolutely makes the video, and I get the feeling there have been other times that she has yelled “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus” than during a tornado.

I think it was Jeff Foxworthy who said “If you have been on TV more than five times describing what the tornado sounded like, you might be a redneck!”

😀

3. Realme
    10:11 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

I started at Asbury before transferring to UK. Don’t remember a basketball team, but apparently there is one.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:16 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

Well, at least classic rock stations like WQMF are now playing Stone Temple Pilots and Nirvana, so Shannon won’t feel too much out of place.

• Realme
      10:20 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

Both Lexington “rock” stations play the same exact rotation: Led Zeppelin – ACDC – Shinedown – Aerosmith. Repeat until everyone turns off the radio. Maybe we need Shannon.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

Yep, the radio stations in this area absolutely suck. That’s what happens when a company like ClearChannel comes in and gobbles up all the stations and puts forth their formulaic playlists. I have started listening to public radio stations like WFPK just to get some variety and to avoid all of the boner commercials.

Every time I am in a city outside the state I am amazed at how much better their radio stations are. It’s just sad.

• CatManDo
      11:19 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

I used to love WKQQ when I was in high school and UK, but nothing has changed. You can listen to 30 minutes of their music today and it is the same songs they played in 1990. I still listen to Zeppelin and AC/DC, just not the same 5 songs they play over and over. Play some B-side tracks to change it up.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:18 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

OK, here we go with the interview…

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

That newswoman heard three words out of that lady’s mouth and said “I’ve got a live one here, we have to get these two on film!”

• Realme
      10:21 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know how she did that with a straight face.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:25 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

Maybe you can put Pitino in that group, but for different reasons. 😉

7. Realme
    10:33 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

I am a Coach Mitchell fan, and want him to turn this around, but it’s hard to imagine it happening at this point. When I think about how all of the transfers have to sit out a year, and still made the call to go, I have to think it’s worse than Coach was absent too much.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

Agree. Even if he adds some players to the current roster, the pall hanging over the program is going to be a drag on their psyche. I just can’t see them having a very successful season with all of this going on, and it’s going to get much worse before it gets better. I have to wonder if we would be better to cut and run and hire a new coach rather than ride things out like it is now.

8. blue ben
    10:45 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

I met Matt at Rupp. He was a nice guy and hell of a journalist and radio host. People just don’t like him; why is that?

9. waddyexpress
    10:50 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

10. W.C.
    11:22 am May 11, 2016 Permalink

You think Bill Clinton will get himself one of those shirts while he is in the state?