Talking Bowls (Wednesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio, which is coming to you live from the Lexington and Louisville studios. Today, Matt, Ryan, Drew, and Shannon will discuss the latest bowl chatter and look ahead to Saturday’s game vs. UCLA. And a bunch of other random stuff.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

66 Comments for Talking Bowls (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. kycats13
    9:49 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Does anyone have a recommended “Kentucky” bar in Chicago?

2. RealCatsFan
    9:58 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Wow, who could have imagined back in September that we would be discussing which bowl our Cats would be playing in, and not just a lower tier bowl, but one a couple levels up?!? I just hope that win or lose, the fan base stays behind this team and coaching staff heading into next season. I bet season tickets will spike upwards, especially if we win our bowl game.

• secrick
      10:02 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

If they don’t there is something wrong with them.

• ukjaybrat
      10:08 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

my only fear is that the casual fan will lose interest if we get destroyed in the tax slayer bowl. that’s what happened to florida last year, they only lost one regular season game in conference so they went to a pretty good bowl for the sec, and michigan lost a couple early on the road so they fell down a notch, and then michigan absolutely murdered them. i’m afraid of playing in a game like that. it could demoralize a lot of people that don’t consider just going to a bowl is a step in the right direction for this program. especially a bowl of that caliber

• Realme
      10:12 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I can ride high on that Louisville game right through until next season.

10:26 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

That upset of Louisville should hold everyone over for a while. People were complaining about a lack of a signature win. If upsetting 11th ranked Louisville on their home field isn’t a signature win, then I don’t know what is.

• runningunnin.454
      10:49 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

The UL game will hold us for a long, long, long, long time.
      That was so sweet, I can’t even describe it.

3. runningunnin.454
    10:05 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Nice article by Jack Pilgrim on SJ….enjoyed it….hope everybody saw it.

• ukjaybrat
      10:09 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

i read it twice. it was fantastic. then my wife yelled at me for not paying attention to her. and then she apologized after she read it lol.

• Realme
      10:15 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Great article, and if his old coach is to be believed, he’s got a lot more wins in him.

• ClutchCargo
      10:19 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Yes, very well done. Really proud to have a person of SJ’s caliber on the team. I’m sure there are young people like that in a lot of places, but the media is more interested in reporting on the negative.

• Realme
      10:25 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I hope I won’t start a religious conversation and regret it, but SJ is the (unfortunately rare) authentic kind of Christian that you can’t help but like no matter where you are spiritually. Many of us could learn from his example.

• RealCatsFan
      10:32 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Couldn’t believe there was a commenter complaining that the article was too long! Geesh, talk about short attention spans!

We are blessed with a lot of new heroes at UK lately, both on the football and the basketball teams. And don’t forget our new addition to UK Track & Field – future Olympic gold medalist Sydney McLaughlin.

10:35 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

SJ won me over a while back. He consistently improved throughout the season which is a testament to his hard work and dedication. Remember when he used to have a fumbling problem? He fixed that. Lamar Jackson has had the same problem all season, and he didn’t fix it.

• secrick
      10:58 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Didn’t see it, where to i go to read it.

4. ukkatzfan
    10:19 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

iHeart is looping today. On pc and phone both. Hoping it clears up soon. Gets on the nerve real fast.

• Realme
      10:21 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Mine’s working okay, knock on wood. I started it via the link above for 1080.

• ukjaybrat
      10:24 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

i’ve had a lot of issues with iheart lately. i stopped listening to the postgame show early the other night because it was getting annoying

10:24 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I had the same problem, switch to 1080, it’s working fine.

• ukkatzfan
      10:59 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I am in O’boro and have WLME here. My radio was good for picking up the opry on Saturday nights but it’s 2016.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:37 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I refuse to talk about 40-0 for this team. However, I think the game against Kansas late in the season will give us the test we need to see where we are heading towards the post season.

• ukjaybrat
      10:39 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I’ll talk about 40-0 after the 40th game. until then it’s just another game. the players should definitely take some advice from the 2015 squad and just don’t worry about it. heck, our last game of the regular season could very well be the toughest game we play until the final four. so even waiting that long won’t be a sure lock thing.

10:51 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

My prediction for this team is at least a Final Four, and 3 or fewer losses.

• ukkatzfan
      11:06 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I think Cal would start Brad at center in the SEC tourney(whatever he had to do) to get a loss. With that being said, I think this team is good enough that either Bam or Fox will be the #3 pick in the NBA draft. I believe the other one will be #2 behind Monk. And with the top 3 picks, the SEC tourney is a loss that just don’t matter.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Never thought as a UK football fan I would be picky about a bowl game, but Belk or Taxslayer >>> Liberty Bowl all day long.

10:50 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

It’s fun isn’t it! 🙂

7. Realme
    10:44 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully next season’s signature win will be finally ending the Florida streak.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:47 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I remember last year, Dakich made a sarcastic remark about the UK Women’s team being down in the tournament; “what’s the women’s score in Lexington”; he knew damn well we were getting beat. What’s a men’s basketball analyst doing bashing a women’s team?
    If he’s not civil today, I’m going to light him up on twitter.
    Oh, I forgot, he blocked me.

10:50 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Now I’m curious as to what you said to him to get blocked.

• Realme
      10:52 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I think Matt plans to have a friendly conversation, but it would not surprise me if it turned hostile (and more entertaining). Dakich has a talent for bringing that out in people.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

As I recall, I questioned his psychological well-being.

• RealCatsFan
      11:20 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Dakich actually is saying some very logical and interesting things. Very entertaining! Must be on his meds again. 😀

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Have to say that I am sorry to hear about Dakich’s father passing away suddenly. Have to agree with him that, in the grand scheme of things, sports is not all that important. That being said, if taken with the right mindset, it can lead to some great friendships, and THAT is important.

9. Realme
    10:56 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Mary Jo Perino pointed out something about this team that I hadn’t heard anyone mention yet: Many past Cal teams would relax with a lead and let the other team back in. This one came in knowing how to step on your throat and not let up, and I love that about them.

• runningunnin.454
      11:05 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Absolutely, if you’ve got ’em down…..kick ’em.

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I’m not sure if it’s a killer instinct thing as much as this team just loves to run with the ball, and they never seem to get tired. The other teams just can’t keep up. These kids are like a bunch of thoroughbred colts running around on the court, and they are having a great time doing it. That’s part of what makes them so much fun to watch!

I can’t imagine how a recruit could watch this team play and not want to be a part of it. There has to be something going on behind the scenes with some of these questionable decisions they are making.

11:13 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

We’re extremely deep this year at pretty much every position. We play really good defense pretty consistently which can help negate an off shooting night. The sky is the limit.

• ukjaybrat
      11:17 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

we are deep everywhere except the hybrid 3-4 position. Offensively we have Willis and Gabriel, but they both need to get better defensively imo.

11:21 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I love Wenyen! He has so much potential and will be so good in a few years. It seems like he gets a little better every time I see him play.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub, I echo what you are saying about Wenyen. Great young man (but ALL of them are, just like all of Cal’s teams). The bad thing is, he is playing so well that we might not get to watch him in Blue for very long. Same as it was for Booker.

11:41 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

RCF, that is the only down-side to Cal’s system. You get attached to players, and then they’re gone almost immediately.

10. secrick
    11:13 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

UCLA , Will be a challenge. If we beat them by 20 then WOW.

• RealCatsFan
      11:24 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

My wife and I have tickets for the game, and it will be our first game in Rupp against a really good opponent. I am looking forward to seeing the roof come off the place with some big plays. Can’t wait!

11:37 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I expect the crowd to be rowdy and out for payback after last season.

• Realme
      11:44 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

And Briscoe will make sure they all come out for revenge. No worries for me except for North Carolina, a little about Louisville just because losing to them would suck more, and one potential random bad night on the road in the SEC.

11. J-Dub421
    11:16 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Only an idiot would think our players don’t develop at Kentucky. Cal is currently the best coach in the country at developing players. It’s why our guys do so well in the NBA. Duke and Kansas get the same amount of talent, but their guys aren’t crushing it in the NBA like ours do. When UK guys go to the League, they’re ready to go right away.

• ukjaybrat
      11:19 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

bilas has said time and again and even dakich recently admitted that Cal doesn’t simply roll the ball out for his recruits. probably the smartest basketball mind i know and one of the biggest uk trolls. if they think it’s true, it pretty much has to be.

11:23 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I can watch our players improve throughout the season. The improvement is visible, even to me.

12. Realme
    11:23 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Anyone remember what Larry Vaught said (that Dakich is now calling him a liar about)? I remember it was on Twitter during a game they were both covering, but not the subject matter.

11:40 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

No, I was wondering about that myself.

13. fairweather
    11:32 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I love it when I start reading a post and it takes a couple of seconds to figure out if we are talking football or basketball.

• Realme
      11:40 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Another sign of FB success is how much of the basketball pre and postgame shows have people calling in to talk football.

14. UK Big Board Update
    11:37 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Still no word from cats paw?

(I’m going to ask every day. lol)

11:39 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

Nope. He probably won’t “show his face” again until our basketball team loses or something similar.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I know someone who knows scorpiocard personally, and he told me that the moderators have banned scorpiocard from KSR. He was at the game with him, and one of his first comments after the loss was “well, I guess I will have to take my lumps on KSR now”. Very possible that catspaw met the same fate. I am kind of torn about this – although frequently annoying, trolls like this are also entertaining, especially when they say something really stupid and we can all make fun of them. We could have an absolute field day with them after the win against Louisville.

• Realme
      11:42 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

You know that bell in his basement has been ringing every time we mention him.

• ukjaybrat
      11:44 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

i don’t think you can ban someone for life, you can only ban a username or an ip address. and you can get new ones of both. just sayin

11:47 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

I wish they’d ban that idiot that keeps trying to promote his own website all over the threads lately.

15. ukjaybrat
    11:45 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

thats how we get so many trolls with generic accounts all the time. theyre mostly the same person with 100 different email addresses

16. bluegrassboy25
    11:51 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

BREAKING: 3 Highly-Rated ‘17 Recruits Decommit from Tennessee Football

11:58 am November 30, 2016 Permalink

There is definitely some ish going down at Tennessee. Hopefully Stoops and company can snap up a few of those players who decommitted.