Talkin’ NBA decisions as deadline approaches (Tuesday Show Thread)

AP Photo

Marcus Lee and Isaiah Briscoe each have to make a decision about their basketball futures. Both are considered to be coin-flip decisions right now, which is quite the opposite of how it looked only a few weeks ago. It once seemed Lee was gone, while Briscoe was expected to return. Now John Calipari could end up with both, neither or one.

Matt and Ryan will discuss on today’s show.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for Talkin’ NBA decisions as deadline approaches (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:57 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

Enjoyed the periscope last night, usually I am in bed and don’t get to watch them. You have to tell the Tim McGraw story. So what happened to your buddy Chris Kross (Cross).

• @GoCayts
      10:09 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

it was interesting that came up because I was wondering what happened to chris cross … their show is slightly bearable now with him gone, but there is still entirely too much talk about minor sports (tennis, golf, horse racing, etc.) … I thought we were gonna get the scoop, womp, womp

• Kyblueblood
      10:14 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

Whomever is on at 3ish on the radio makes my ears bleed. They mess up every name, date, stat known to man. Sounds like a book on tape, have no idea how they are on the radio

2. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    10:22 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

I’m beyond ready to know what Briscoe and Lee are doing.

• Kyblueblood
      10:24 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

I think Briscoe leaves and Lee comes back..Lee sounds like he would take to heart the reality of things rather than Briscoe, apparently his dad thinks differently

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:34 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

I’m leaning towards thinking they both will leave. But I hope Briscoe comes back. We need guard depth and I think he can greatly improve his draft stock if his yips are really over. I don’t think Lee returning will help or hurt his non-existent draft stock.

• RealCatsFan
      10:37 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

I hope they come back too – way too much disappointing news with UK sports lately.

• I agree about Lee. We all knew he couldn’t shoot, but I was surprised that his measurables apparently showed he’s not nearly as athletic as we thought. The stat that showed his vertical is basically the same as Kyle Wiltjer? Just incredible. I guess he’s just quicker off the floor than some guys because he’s skinny. You know Wilt can’t do some of the things Lee does above the rim.

All that said, I do wonder if he would have been better off transferring next year for more PT and possibly more chance for development. I would hate to lose him, especially considering the quality young man he is, but it might be best for his NBA prospects.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      11:29 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

He seemed to be offended at the implication of transferring so I think that is off the table. He could probably have a decent career in Europe, see the world, get paid a lot more than I do, and come back and start his own business doing something. I just don’t think there is much chance of the NBA no matter what he does. I would love to be wrong though!

3. symphonist41169
    10:33 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

Rap is a lot of things, but it can never be called a “song”. A song is sung by someone with a modicum of skill and control over their voice to sing specific pitches and notes; a rap is spoken over a beat with no necessity for specific pitches. A singer needs some skill and talent in all elements of music, not exclusively rhythm.

Let the rap listeners begin their rants in 3…2…1…

• ukjaybrat
      10:42 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

i would say GOOD rap can exhibit many characteristics of what you would describe as music (which i would argue is not all that encompasses “music”

that being said, there is way more bad rap than good rap, especially now

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:45 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

I think most modern country could also not be called “songs”! #terrible

• J-Dub421
      10:47 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

I like rap, but to each their own. I’d rather listen to rap than say, heavy metal where they just scream nonsensically all the time over dissonant screeching guitar riffs.

• symphonist41169
      10:48 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

Not just MY definition of music characteristics (and what I typed is by no means an exhaustive list of what defines music) but characteristics of music as defined by roughly 1500 years of practice, evolution, and refinement.

• Once when Clint Black was on Letterman, after he did an up tempo song, Dave asked him “So what’s the difference between that and rock and roll, other than your southern accent?” and Black laughed. I think the same could be asked about a LOT of country songs.

4. ^^^^^^ I can’t believe MJ and company didn’t mention this guy. πŸ™‚

5. CB3UK
    10:48 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

Led Zeppelin covered “Knockin on Heaven’s door”…… Stop while you’re ahead Matt. Good Lord.

• I never heard that. I remember when GNR covered it…terrible.

• symphonist41169
      10:53 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

A lot of people covered Dylan songs, and some were more well-known than the Dylan original. “All Along the Watchtower” was much more popular when Jimi Hendrix covered it than the Bob Dylan original. Dylan was and is “vocally challenged”, to put it politely.

• Yeah, Dylan is a horrible singer. I never understood the draw.

*U2 also covered “Watchtower” on “Rattle and Hum”.

BTW, I like some of GNR’s stuff, but not that cover.

6. Coebird
    10:51 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

Beloved – Jay Shidler
    No Love – Anthony Epps

7. J-Dub421
    10:58 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

This didn’t happen when I was there because the iPad hadn’t been invented yet, but my high school currently gives incoming students an iPad. It’s included in the tuition. (Of course, the tuition is pretty high.)

• Some schools have gone with Chromebooks since they’re cheaper, even some who were doing the iPad. One school where I live is changing over, but it’s being grandfathered in (for the students who already have iPads, they would have to take them from their cold, dead hands).

• J-Dub421
      11:23 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

I have to hand it to Apple’s marketing department, teenagers really love iPhones and iPads, etc. My 14 year old goddaughter HAD to have an iphone. It could not be any other type of smartphone because ALL her friends had iphones. (Imagine those last 2 sentences in an overly dramatic teenage girl’s voice, as if her life would be over without an iPhone.)

8. Larry Pratt
    11:20 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

I don’t know how much we can trust Matt’s data. Who compiled it, and how? Sample size? And how is the age of the phone owner tracked? Just a thought.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

Come on, you know facts are optional here. πŸ˜‰

• @GoCayts
      11:42 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

all kids have phones, most of them have cracked screens, but they have them

9. UKinIN
    11:35 am May 24, 2016 Permalink

Ryan is overselling Ron Mercer. Once Anderson got hurt Mercer became a jump shooter. It was like he decided that he wasn’t going to risk getting hurt too. Ron Mercer < Derek Anderson.