Talkin’ Higgins, a new basketball target and more (Tuesday Show Thread)

ksr-logo

It’s a busy day on KSR as Matt and Ryan introduce you to a new target on Calipari’s big board and continue the hatred for John Higgins.

They’ll have that and more on two hours of Tuesday morning KSR.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

62 Comments for Talkin’ Higgins, a new basketball target and more (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:01 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

NCAA either doesn’t care or doesn’t agree about how bad a ref Higgins was, because the rewarded him by advancing him to the next round. It’s hard for any team to win a championship, but sometimes I feel like it’s hardest for Cal/UK between the path we get and officiating bias.

10:08 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Matt and the gang always say that CBS WANTS us to be in the final four, NCAA WANTS us to be in the final four. And they give very valid reasoning that I agree with. But then EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. our path is the most difficult of any team in the bracket AND we get shafted by officiating. I honestly don’t understand. Is it just one big coincidence? Are we all wearing blue tinted goggles? I don’t know. but it really is sickening. The only way to solve the reffing issue is for the NCAA to hire full time officials. At least a handful for every conference. And those are the guys that will officiate every game from elite 8 onward in the tourney. because these part time guys clearly have no business being “in control” of a game that affects so many peoples’ lives, whether that be athletes, coaches, students, fans, or whoever.

• Realme
      10:18 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

This quote from Tyler on Twitter is haunting me, making it hard to get over a bit: “Calipari yelled a lot of things at Higgins last night, but the one thing that will stick with me is ‘It’s too big of a game for this’ “.

Basically our coach pleading with an official to let the players decide the outcome.

As to whether tv ratings affect the path we get on, I think they do. They’ll have good ratings for the final four, because it’s the final four. They had massive sweet sixteen and elite 8 ratings they wouldn’t have had thanks to match ups that occurred way too early.

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Higgins is part of the NCAA corruption and hypocrisy. And I would let him put a roof on my house…
      Ha ha ha ha ha….no.

10:23 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know how to quote a quote of a quote, so…. sorry
      “‘It’s too big of a game for this’ “

It’s clear that Higgins has something against Cal and/or UK. What it is, we will probably never find out. But why the NCAA doesn’t see it and why they won’t do something about it? That is pretty damning as well. I’m absolutely sick that Louisville and UNC can cheat their butts off and (at least in UNC’s case) be rewarded with back to back final fours instead of being punished like they should. All the while their exists a ref with a personal vendetta making his presence felt and potentially cost the game.

• Realme
      10:28 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

It’s no secret there’s a lot of hate for Cal from the NCAA. Perhaps if this were another team, they’d have taken a closer look. I’ll still take Cal over no Cal, 100%, but some day when we have a less “controversial” coach, they might be nicer to us in tourney path and officiating. We’ll see.

• My fear is that when Cal moves on, we might be back to the pedestrian recruiting that Tubby was doing his last couple of years, and if that’s the case the brackets won’t matter much. I REALLY hope we don’t have another BCG experience.

• Realme
      10:39 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

It’s good next and then drunk after that!

• That quote is something, Realme. Yeesh. Okay, back to work instead of (figuratively) sobbing some more this morning.

• J-Dub421
      10:59 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Here’s our road: NKU — not ranked, Wichita State #19, UCLA #8, UNC #5.

Name another top ranked team (we were #6 going into the tournament) who had to play three top 25 teams back to back to back (2 teams in the top 10).

11:03 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

jdub, pretty sure wichita st was top ten in kenpom… so make that 3 top 10 teams…

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

I think those were the AP rankings I used.

11:16 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

oh i know. i was just adding to the fact that it’s even worse than what it looks like just with AP. We had to play three 30 win teams JUST to get to the final four. Which is UNHEARD OF. no wonder we finally “ran out of gas” just a bit short of that goal. and imagine if kansas made it… and gonzaga. We would have had to play FIVE 30 win teams to win a title. That would be more impressive than winning 40 in a row.

2. secrick
    10:19 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Has you can see on some of the post on this site Higgins is either almost blind, hates Ky or is just a complete SOB. I go with the last.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:19 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Trump > Higgins?

4. Realme
    10:19 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Agree that while Higgins is the worst, BBN looks terrible for attacking him outside of the context of the sport.

• runningunnin.454
      10:30 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Two points,
      You reap what you sow and
      Que Sera Sera.

• I’m with Realme and Matt on this one. Regardless of my feelings about the man, it’s not a good look, even if some of the quips are funny.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:46 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

I would prefer that all the comments follow the format of the Fake Roy Williams account. Brilliant.
      Death threats are over -the-top. I dont think you can totally separate the two professions. The same guy is involved.

The internet makes it too easy to start a viral mob-rule situation…sometimes unfairly…maybe not in this case.

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Sorry…I was never a boy scout.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:52 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

I guess I am on the fence… Dude deserves to be blasted but I will stop short of the death threats. I was a Boy Scout dropout after Star Scout…girls and Sports took over.

• Realme
      10:58 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

I don’t actually think mad sports fan comments will hurt his business. I just think we all look like lunatics that have gone off the deep end when we internet mob anyone.

11:01 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

it is what it is.
      all fan-bases have lunatics. those are the people that will get on tv no matter what. if we’re not blasting a dude for being a literal piece of shit, we’re going to be on tv for burning coaches or punching out windows. or whatever else. it doesn’t matter what we think is acceptable or not, the lowest common denominator of fans will always make headlines for doing something the national media will blast the entire fan base for. at least this gives those fans something (at least a little) righteous to vent their frustrations toward.

That being said, i haven’t psoted anything to his business page and i won’t. but i’m not condemning the fans that did either (except the death threats. that’s way too far)

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:04 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

If fans want to accomplish something, convince the head of officials that there’s a problem. A petition might do that. Or convince a sports journalist to embrace officiating reform. THAT’s what will actually make a difference, not just make disgruntled fans feel good because they can bully a business.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:06 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Mob mentalities online can escalate uncontrollably, and that’s why they are a bad idea. A similar online bombardment of a pizza place in Indiana because the owners were hypothetically against gay marriage ended up with a high-school teacher threatening to firebomb them. That kind of crazed extremism doesn’t happen every time, but it’s always a danger when dealing with mob rule.

• STE FTW in comments #viii and #ix. I think it’s kind of sad if the only thing we think is going too far is death threats. Nothing personal ukjay.

11:20 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

let me be clear. i don’t think attacking his business is NOT over the line. hence why i’m not partaking.

I was responding to the people who are saying things like (no offense realme, you’re just the closest one i could fine) “I just think we all look like lunatics”

If the only thing we are concerned about is how it makes our fanbase look? that’s a silly thing to be concerned about because even if Higgins never existed, there would still be other things that embarrass our fanbase online in one form or another. This is just the IT thing this year.

• A coworker makes fun of my profile pic that you see. Am I embarrassed? NO! 🙂

5. ukjaybrat
    10:27 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Does the NCAA have a yelp page we can all go give 1 stars to? at least they are the main culprit here

6. I know college baseball doesn’t move the needle like oblong ball and round ball, but the Bat Cats are playing well. Matt could at least talk about them for 5 minutes a week.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:43 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Except as he has shown year after year, people stop listening…this comment comes from a 13 year ball player, 2 All-Star games in northern New England in the early 80s…and I find baseball now crazily boring. Congrats to the Cats though. I gave up on caring much about baseball after the strike.

10:53 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

i dunno. 5 minutes here and there wouldn’t be so bad. esp in the late spring months when it’s hard to find otherr stuff to talk about anyway

• C & M, baseball is too boring for me to watch much also, and Matt is right, but I don’t think his summer ratings will plummet just because he talks Bat Cats for just a few minutes a week. I don’t think the formulaic cartoon and breakfast cereal brackets are setting the ratings on fire either.

• And also, GO REDS! If they get good again I’ll be happy about that, even if I don’t want to watch baseball every night.

7. CATandMONKEY
    10:38 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Should we criticize Ryan’s house for sale? Don’t know. If you say ridiculous things in public though…

8. JSimp
    10:49 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Matt, have you heard anything about Hamidou Diallo? Do you think he’s leaving and that’s why we’re looking at Mark Smith?

10:53 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

i would say it has more to do with NOT getting knox. that being said, we still have one more roster spot if all four of monk, fox, bam, and briscoe leave

10:54 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

and that’s also assuming bamba AND Knox come. we have room for all three

• J-Dub421
      11:03 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

I think we just need more guards. We have a lot of bigs for next year.

9. Realme
    10:52 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

A call from Sarah. That’ll cheer me up.

10. CATandMONKEY
    10:54 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Sarah…ah, hot doggin it again. She be a special, special kinda crazy.

10:55 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

hard to hot dog when you’re on the bench half the game. shut up sarah

• J-Dub421
      11:02 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

There is no way she was ever an attorney.

11. Sentient Third Eye
    11:01 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

The real loser in the NCAA overloading the South Region is the NCAA. Now they have a Final Four that will be poorly-viewed because the best teams in the country were all bunched in the South. So no Kentucky in the Final Four. No UCLA in the Final Four. Even Wichita State had a puncher’s chance to get there had they been in another region.

So, sorry NCAA, but you made this Final Four bed of mostly no-names. Now lie in it.

12. Laker Cat 18
    11:06 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

I was planning a huge Finals party at my place for next week. Of course that’s not happening now, but I also doubt I’ll even watch the Final Four.

11:12 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

I never watch the final four if a team is in it that can catch up to UKs title count. not worth it to watch that happen. so instead a bunch of friends are going to the reds baseball game downtown decked out in our cubs gear (haha) then going to an album drop party at a whiskey bar. then spending the rest of the weekend playing a new game that just came out.

Yep, I’m totally channeling my inner 24 yr old. It’s going to be exhausting!

• ukjay, I WILL watch for the same reason: to HOPEFULLY see UNC go down. Now, if they’re blowing out the other team then I’ll probably turn it off so I don’t witness the humanity. If I hadn’t been watching last year, I wouldn’t have seen the Nova shot.

BTW, I did not watch 1 second of Duke-Wisconsin. No way in the world that I could stomach that.

11:22 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

“If I hadn’t been watching last year, I wouldn’t have seen the Nova shot.”
      – that’s what highlights are for 🙂

“I did not watch 1 second of Duke-Wisconsin. No way in the world that I could stomach that.”
      I boycotted that game so hard i actually forgot it was on. I Accidentally tuned in as i was channel surfing. gave a disproving “heh” and was already changing the channel again.

13. J-Dub421
    11:07 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Anyone have any thoughts on the fact that congress is about to pass a bill that will take away pretty much all internet privacy and allow your internet provider to sell all your personal information without permission?

11:09 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

meh, if you use the internet, you have no privacy anyway.
      I just assume anything i put on the internet is fair game because whether it’s legal or not, it really is. so what good is it fighting it.

• J-Dub421
      11:19 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

This is by your isp provider though, which you pay for.

• I’m not sure how I feel about that one because I haven’t researched it. However, I am all about privacy. I also see the internet providers point (if it’s true) that the Facebooks and Googles of the world are allowed to do it and they aren’t. If that’s true, I would be in favor of restrictions on all of them, not just the ISP’s.

Again though, I would have to research this more.

14. Realme
    11:12 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Why can’t the other 2 refs step in and hold their guy accountable when one of their team is allowing emotion to influence calls?

15. Laker Cat 18
    11:59 am March 28, 2017 Permalink

Comment deleted: Are we not allowed to mention the Badet transfer in the show thread?

• Several just got deleted. I just clicked the refresh button and I’m certain that the number went down by 10. It may be a glitch. My comment that was just the wink smiley got deleted at number 12iv.

Also, I noticed earlier that some replies seemed to get reordered.

• J-Dub421
      12:05 pm March 28, 2017 Permalink

A huge number of posts from multiple people just got deleted, Weird.

12:16 pm March 28, 2017 Permalink

yeah i saw that too. a lot of posts were removed. i wonder if they had a server malfunction or if somebody just got delete happy

16. ukjaybrat
    12:18 pm March 28, 2017 Permalink

it looks like everything mentioning higgins business was removed. i wonder if someone yelled at KSR for promoting the attack on his fb page ?

12:19 pm March 28, 2017 Permalink

“promoting” in giant air quotes that is

• J-Dub421
      1:43 pm March 28, 2017 Permalink

A lot of our internet discussion was removed too, and some of our discussion on the brackets/draw.