Talkin’ about last night’s win (Thursday Show Thread)

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Kentucky dominated Mizzou for 40 minutes last night and we have two hours to talk about it this morning on Kentucky Sports Radio radio. So turn up your radio devices to hear Matt Jones and Ryan Lemond break it down while looking forward to the big challenge ahead.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

WLSI (900am) Pikeville
WPRT (960am): Prestonsburg
WSFC (1240am): Somerset
WTCW (920am): Whitesburg
WHAY (98.3fm): Whitley City
WBTH (1400am): Williamson
PRTC TV Channels 209 & 409: Jackson & Owlsey Counties (Replayed at 1 and 6)

On Delay (ALL TIMES LISTED EASTERN)…

WVHI (1330am): Evansville, IN, 5-7pm
WMTL (870am): Leitchfield, 11am-1pm
WLBQ (1570am): Morgantown, 3-5pm
WRIL (106.3fm): Middlesboro, Thur 8-10pm
WWTF (1580am): Lexington, 4-6pm

Article written by Drew Franklin

83 Comments for Talkin’ about last night’s win (Thursday Show Thread)

1. UK_JB
    9:57 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I missed the post game show, how was that? Any alien talk? Ghosts? Bears? Oh my.

Great win last night!

10:04 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

i really wish they would put all of the post game shows on the podcast. especially the late ones. even if they aren’t always funny, it’s still something to listen to when i get to wortk that’s not mike and mike

2. J-Dub421
    10:06 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

That Willis coast to coast dunk last night was awesome. The cameramen all at junk height afterwards, not so much….

10:09 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

it was a great dunk, but he didn’t get back on D and gave up 2 on the other end. bet Cal was more upset than happy.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:10 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Nice win for the Cats last night. Good games across the board!

However, one thing stuck out to me. I can’t for the life of me understand how a 7-footer can’t grab at least one rebound at some point in 18 minutes out of a 40 minute basketball game.

10:13 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

i haven’t re-watched the game, but seeing as he had 5 blocks, he was more interested in blocking shots than blocking out. it’s easier to get a rebound if you’re blocking out than if you’re in the air trying to block. Granted, 5 blocks is 10 points Missouri didn’t get, but how many rebounds did he give up? that’s the real question.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:17 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I should have commented on his 5-block night. That’s a very underrated stat in my opinion. Outside of taking points off the board for the opponent, I believe it also gets his teammates motivated.

4. Long Dong Silver
    10:14 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Some of us called it with Willis. And we were heckled.

10:17 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Willis finally pulled his head out of his butt and decided to play.

• cats paw
      10:36 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

the real conclusion is you have to pull your head out of your azz and realize the inly difference in Willis is playing time! he plays the exact same way he always did… he just shows his skills are better than streetball players and u hate to admit u know nothing about basketball!

• Realme
      10:39 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Derek has literally never played defense, rebounded, and protected the ball like he has in the last few weeks. If you can’t see how much he changed, and earned the playing time, you’re not watching.

10:43 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

cats paw claiming other people don’t know basketball is about the funniest thing I’ve ever read… thanks for that.

10:45 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Realme is right. Derek hasn’t played more because of Derek. He has admitted repeatedly that he wasn’t putting in the effort and work like he needed to. He has always had a good offensive repertoire but he straight up did not play defense at all in the past, and was averaging less rebounds per game than the guards. Derek finally decided to do the things Cal has been asking him to do for 2 years +.

10:55 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

exactly. when you guys bash us for talking bad about derek, you might as well bash Cal and Derek for talking bad about him/himself because they have openly admitted everything we’ve always said about him, which is that his head was never in the right place and he struggled on defense.

11:02 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I like Derek, and I’m glad he’s playing well. I’ve been waiting for for him to play up to his potential. I just don’t understand how fans can bash Alex for being inconsistent, but overlook Derek basically slacking off for 2+ years. It’s hypocritical. Read Briscoe’s comments from yesterday about how Derek is a totally different player recently in practice if you don’t want to take my word for it.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:30 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

J-Dub, I don’t necessarily agree with all the criticism of Alex but some of it comes from Alex having ridiculously good performances (Duke, his frosh season) and then not showing up for several games. Alex also just “looks like” a superstar so we all just think he should always play like a beast. I really hope Poythress can give us 10 and 8 or 8 and 10 every night with a few blocks. He is very capable it seems and I hope he decides to bring it the rest of the season.

Willis has decided to play and has finally taken advantage of the opportunities afforded him . It is a great thing. Keep it up, Bullitt County!

11:50 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I get what you’re saying C & M, I just find it hypocritical for people to bash Alex as much as they do when he apparently works pretty hard and is just inconsistent and has off nights as opposed to someone who is straight up not doing anything at all on a consistent basis. Why does one get criticized all the time, when the other gets a pass? I just feel that fans are rather blind to the faults of the guys who are from Kentucky and that gets on my nerves. It’s not like Willis isn’t talented or lacks athleticism or size.

• Long Dong Silver
      11:59 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I’m just saying I told you so, and I’m faster on the uptake. Next time don’t be so qyick to naysay. I hope you’ve all learned a lesson.

12:17 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

No you aren’t. We all knew Willis had the potential to be good. He just needed to put in the work and do what Cal was asking him to do. He finally decided to do that.

• Long Dong Silver
      12:32 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

Nope. I was right. I told you so. Me and a couple of others said he needed to play. I’d seen the change in him. And everyone mocked. I was right. I recognized he was ready to play.

• CATandMONKEY
      12:54 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

J-dub, to be clear i don’t particularly agree with the Poy bashers. I also agree that Willis’ transformation has FAR more to do with his attitude and mental toughness than with playing opportunities. Willis had plenty of opportunities previously and did not play good defense nor rebound very well, proving LDS and Cats Paw to both be completely wrong as to the REASON for the great play of late.

To remind LDS and CP of what has already been said, both Cal AND Willis himself, said that the responsibility was on Willis. Congrats to Derek for being able to change his mental game to match his physical skills in a very competitive and difficult environment.

• Long Dong Silver
      1:11 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

Everyone is missing the point. Doesn’t matter what brought Derek to this point. It’s that he was ready, I recognized it, and was right. Many others heckled and said he played no defense. And that he shouldn’t play. Then it was that he only played well against bad teams.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:33 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

I don’t recall any who are posting here heckling Willis. Many said he wasn’t playing defense and they were 100% correct. If he had not stepped up his game defensively and off the ball he would STILL be seei g limited minutes. We can all likely agree that he has shown in the past, flashes of great offensive skill but because of his lack of focus and efforts in the other areas of the game, he did not see many minutes. I, as you, LDS am glad to see Willis playing so well- on both ends of the floor. If he is now a star because you called it first, all the better for both of you.

• Long Dong Silver
      2:26 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

Just forget it. Jesus.

2:38 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

Here LDS, have a cookie. You are the smartest person in the world and everyone should bow to your genius at all times.

Did I stroke your ego enough? Do you feel vindicated now?

• UK Big Board Update
      4:35 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

LMAO!!!

5. Realme
    10:28 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

That was a weird reaction from Matt to someone suggesting the football podcast crew keep going in the off season. I’d listen.

10:35 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

What are they going to talk about in the off season though? I could see an occasional update podcast about off-season training, etc. but I don’t know that they would have enough material for a weekly podcast.

10:36 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

agree with jdub. it’d be nice to have one this week pre signing day and one next week after signing day. and maybe another one closer to spring practice, but to have one every week would start getting old real quick.

• Realme
      10:37 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

They don’t need a lot of news, Freddie and Jared really love to talk. And like all of KSR, it’s still good when they get completely off topic.

6. Laker Cat 18
    10:31 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I’ve said Phillips was better than Barker from day 1. I don’t understand why everyone bows to him. He wasn’t a top 3 QB in the state as a senior.

10:40 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I am under the impression that it was either stated outright, or heavily intimated that Barker would definitely be the starting QB next season, and that is why Towles and Phillips left. And really, I wouldn’t blame them because Barker hasn’t earned the starting job. It’s just being handed to him.

10:44 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

i don’t think it’ll be handed to him anymore with the dual threat juco guy coming in.

10:47 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I really want Barker to be good and succeed, he just hasn’t shown me much of anything yet.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:48 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I hope you’re right jay. I have to keep an open mind about him though, considering we were competing with Hawaii, Eastern Michigan, and Arkansas State for his services. Not the best of company in that offer list.

• Realme
      10:48 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Big mistake in my opinion when they said Barker had the job. But, I don’t think the the new OC is going to care what was said before he came, so Drew will still have to earn it if he’s gonna get the job.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:50 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I would have no problem with a decent two-qb system if used wisely. We might now have two QBs with differing yet complimentary skill sets. We shall see.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:53 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Very rarely do two-QB systems work at the college level. Hard to get the continuity between QB and the rest of the offense when you keep switching frequently. I would call the guy who can get that to work effectively an offensive genius.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:02 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

It is rare, but didn’t Florida use a 2 QB system to a fair degree of success several years ago?
      At this point I am ready to consider a WR at QB again if it will put us in a position to move the ball downfield and score.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:15 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Tebow and Leak. It’s possible, but do you see a Tebow-type player in a Kentucky uniform? LOL. He was a fullback with a decent arm. The “decent” arm is the reason he isn’t playing on Sundays.

Not saying it’s impossible. Urban Meyer is a top 2 or 3 coach in the game in my opinion. He does well with his QBs at OSU as too.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:32 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Laker, you cleared that up for me. Thanks. Just thinking out loud. Like many fans, am just frustrated and ready for any chance to compete consistently and start winning more often than losing.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:46 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

We’re in the same boat. I’m hoping Gran & Hinshaw can get it done!

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:33 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

As a coach, I’ve seen girlfriends ruin kids high school athletic careers. No offense to you ladies. It happens often. They’d rather chase tail than chase wins or college scholarships.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:39 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

…And 99% of those high school puppy love relationships do not pan out.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:45 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Many of men’s greatest accomplishments and worst follies in all of recorded history have been motivated by either trying to impress or pi$$ off a woman. Alcohol, drugs and mental illness likely are responsible for the rest…and none of the above are mutually exclusive. 😀

8. Cat House
    10:38 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Football is simply the better sport.

10:42 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

For you maybe. I like football, but there is too much standing around for my taste. I like the faster pace of basketball.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:47 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Football is great. Unfortunately for football fans their support of the podcasts, broadcasts and other programs does not match their (our) rabid fandom.

• Cat House
      10:48 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

If you like fast pace you can’t beat hockey.

• Realme
      10:49 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Best sports:
      1. Basketball
      2. Hockey
      3. Football

• Laker Cat 18
      10:50 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I’m a football first kind of guy, but being a Kentucky fan, it forces me to really enjoy basketball on the flip side. I can watch the NFL, but can’t stand watching the NBA (unless Cats are playing). I love both affiliated with UK.

10:50 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I used to go to some of the UK hockey games when I was in school. They were fun.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:52 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I grew up playing hockey. It is probably a better sport than bball or football but geographic limitations and financial barriers prevent many good athletes from taking up hockey, even in the northern states.

• Realme
      10:53 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I will forever miss the Thoroughblades.

10:55 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I come from a big tennis family, so I have mad love for tennis and it is one of my favorite sports. I also love swimming (former swimmer, but it’s hardly ever on TV), basketball and football (college much more so than pro), and MMA. Also equestrian sports because I used to show jump as well.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:55 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Can’t stand watching hockey on TV, but I do miss the Thoroughblades games. They made those fun for everyone, fan or not.

• Realme
      10:57 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

And you could get a really good seat for 9 bucks.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:02 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Always came home with a puck or a t-shirt.

9. kentuckyrld
    10:45 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Matt, how can you justify saying that the recruiting for football is going great when the players Mr. Stoops has recruited don’t produce? I hear you, from time to time, talk about how the recruiting is so much better but, frankly, I don’t see it. It is winning games that count. Mr. Stoops has been here for quite a while and it would appear that next season could be one of the worst we have seen for a while. How does that show he is doing a good job of recruiting?

10:52 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

better recruiting is not reflected in on field performance until 2-3 years later when that recruiting has experience. Our first recruiting class fell apart because the 2nd and 3rd classes were even better and got all the playing time. We will start getting on field results probably this year and definitely next year (when the schedule is a bit more favorable)

• Kernel Sanders
      11:01 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Ahhh a UK football fan optimistically (delusionally) looking not just to NEXT year to “start” getting results, but even 2 years down the road! Part of UK FB mantra: “wait til next year” and “we’re a young team”. Lol, where have I heard that before? So now the motto is our recruiting is so good that the excellent recruits from previous classes are getting left behind? And that is why we slip by EKU in overtime folks. Sigh

11:05 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

If you think we’ll never ever be good at football Kernel, then why do you watch?

11:19 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Your comment is awaiting moderation….

of course it is…

11:26 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

That was a legit question from me. I really want to know and am not trying to be a jerk. I want to understand why someone would continue to do something that makes them miserable when they have no optimism of improvement in the future.

• Kernel Sanders
      4:48 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

Well, I doubt you’ll see this JDub, since it’s many hours after you posted. You ask why do I watch UK football if I think we’ll never be any good? First off, who says I do watch? UK football no longer makes me miserable. I am a UK grad, so was my father and my grandfather, and so is my daughter for that matter. I simply emotionally divorced myself from UK football. Do I want them to win? Yes. Do I rearrange my schedule, skip fishing trips on a sunny fall day, refuse to go to weddings when they conflict with UK FB? Do I live and die watching every single snap of the ball? NO. I used to, but I don’t anymore. I was a UK fan in the Curci years if that gives you a clue how long I’ve been around. Point is I have suffered thru lean years with Claiborne, Curry, Mumme, Morris, Phillips, etc. so it’s not that I “think we’ll never be good at football”, it’s that in about the last 70 years or so we’ve had what, half a dozen good seasons? so all I know is basically we never have been any good at it. And I happen to be totally dead serious…if I had a nickel every time I’ve heard someone say “well, we’re young this year” or “wait til 2018, our schedule sets up favorably” then I would be a rich, rich man. And what continually happens? I’ll let you answer that. I gave up my season tix in frustration in the Curry years. Haven’t been proven wrong on that one except for maybe 2 seasons or so with Brooks. Regardless, I still go to maybe one game each season. Go tailgate, enjoy game day atmosphere, socialize, but do NOT really let myself get invested in it anymore. If you can’t figure out why, I don’t know what to tell you except that you certainly don’t appreciate history. Your assumptions that #1 I “continue to do something”, like fervently follow UK FB, and #2, That I am miserable because of it are both wrong.

• UK Big Board Update
      4:53 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

Cool. Then shut up about it.

5:08 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

I assumed that you were miserable about UK football because you are on this site constantly complaining about it. For someone who says that they don’t watch it anymore and aren’t emotionally invested, you come across as very angry.

The Warriors sucked most of my lifetime, but then they drafted Steph Curry and managed to win the NBA title last season. For me, hope springs eternal because I am an optimist (most days at least).

Thank you for taking the time to answer though, I appreciate it.

• Kernel Sanders
      8:21 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Oh, I’m so honored. The self-appointed resident douchebag has commanded me to shut up. I have finally arrived.

• Kernel Sanders
      8:27 am January 29, 2016 Permalink

Jdub, you have mistaken me for someone else. I can’t say I haven’t complained about uk fb here, but I rarely post. Sorry, I do squeeze in a little work around visiting this site, unlike some have to do apparently. I have no clue why you would think I’m angry. Does posting that I wish I had a nickel every time somebody says of UK FB “we were just young this year” make me angry? Jeez I should really calm down

10. vegascat
    11:00 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Las Vegas Kansas Alumni Club is nervous…they declined to watch the game with us on Saturday because they want to be with their own supporters for this one. Should we go to their place anyways? Cue UK flashmob.

11. OR CATFAN
    11:03 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Hey Matt. My husband and I are headed to Lawrence tomorrow. Do you know if there is a place where UK fans are going to be getting together?
    Sorry you aren’t going but would like to meet Drew.

12. Realme
    11:09 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I’ve switched to Cloudcaster, on recommendation from someone here (Jay?), and it performs way better for me than Podbay.

11:16 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

that’s what i use, was probably me who recommended it.

11:17 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

although i am looking for a replacement. i want something that works well on android / chrome os / and chrome for windows. and the only thing i have found is pocketcast but you have to buy the android app AND a separate purchase for the web interface on chrome. that’s not cool.

11:21 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Podbay has worked well for me, so thanks jay!

• CATandMONKEY
      11:35 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Podbay works well but doesn’t support landscape orientation, my only issue with it so far.

13. Crushgroove
    11:17 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Funny, I automatically think less of an iPhone user. I see them 1) as needing a very simplistic system to operate and 2) as myopic zombies willing to spend big money every year on the latest and greatest version of something they need very little from, technically. As if appearance is of greater value to them than the utility… and to the point that they are willing to pay a heavy premium to be cool. I rank iPhones and their users right up there with Beats headphones.

11:18 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

ironic, because apple now owns beats by dre

• Crushgroove
      11:22 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I’m so not surprised… Apple knows their customer base…

• CATandMONKEY
      11:45 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

When Apple can give me equal or better performance without charging 2-3 times the price of other platforms I may consider them again, as I once did 20 years ago. Apple used to be worth the price differential in the dark ages. No longer the case, and has not been so for at least a decade.

1:12 pm January 28, 2016 Permalink

their laptops are still the best in the business as far as bang for buck… but everything else they sell is not price comparable in anyway to the competition.

14. jsh2001
    11:36 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

Trump isn’t showing up, he is holding his own event that CNN is airing.

• Crushgroove
      11:47 am January 28, 2016 Permalink

I’m not a Trump guy, but, I’m pretty sure he’s protesting out-of-line questioning from Megyn Kelly during the last R debate… her line of questioning directed at him comparative to the softball questions the moderators of the Democratic debate tossed to those candidates… Trump was railroaded while the Democratic candidates were led by easily answered, non-issue related questioning. I really don’t blame him as he’s exactly right about this.