Sunday’s Morning Wakeup

groundhog-day

Sunday’s morning wake up is brought to you by the only fitting movie title. Groundhog Day. I, much like everyone else here, probably woke up feeling the same way from a year ago regarding the football team. High expectations after some perceived early season wins, playing Florida tough but ultimately losing and then collapsing against Louisville. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Let’s take a look at some happier things though.

There are special players joining the basketball program next year

I know it’s weird to already say that considering the season is less than a month old and Kentucky is still No. 1 in the country. But, De’Aaron Fox played in the Thanksgiving Hoopfest in Texas and put on a show against Andrew Jones – another top guard prospect. Fox put up 31 points, 12 rebounds and six assists. The highlight though may have been when he went coast to coast and finished while adjusting in the air, in all under four seconds. Oh, and Malik Monk scored 46 in a win too. Those two are going to be a ton of fun to watch next year.

LSU Decides to keep Les Miles

In a bizarre week for LSU, rumors were the Tigers were going to relieve Les Miles of his duties, leading one of the best coaches in the game looking for a job. Well, after beating Texas A&M last night, it was announced that Miles would be keeping his job at LSU. This obviously means a ton for the conference, even if the Cats only see LSU about twice a decade, just to keep a big name like that at one of the more prestigious football jobs in the country is national news. The boosters need to get Miles the finest grass to eat for dinner tonight now.

The Guys Survived Day One

After the game, Drew, Matt, Shannon and Ryan hit the road for the KSR Does America roadtrip and it seems like they survived day one. Follow the guys on Twitter for the constant updates, complaining, questioning and all-around tomfoolery that makes this site great.

Article written by Bobby Reagan

One time representative of UK at SEC 3v3 basketball championships. Northern Yankee living the Kentucky dream. Follow me @uklefty22

17 Comments for Sunday’s Morning Wakeup

1. scorpiocard
    9:52 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

Good morning! Has anybody seen my ole buddy dshwildcars? He said before the season he “could not wait” for yesterdays game. I was wondering if he enjoyed it. Does anybody know? Has anybody seen him around?

2. cats paw
    10:15 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

or how about Matt Jones, the homer clan leader that guaranteed UK would own Tennessee and Louisville from this point forward on his show muliple times last year? could there possibly be a worse prediction on earth? and he gets furious at callers that suggest UK is not improving.

• Gitback Coach
      12:34 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Jones knows almost nothing about football. But as all UK call-in shows and this web site confirm, knowledge is not a prerequisite for spouting whatever nonsense bubbles up from the bourbon shots.

At least Jones (usually) admits that he isn’t a “football” guy (like one look at him doesn’t confirm that already).

3. pithuahua
    10:41 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky is in dire need of a quarterback coach / special teams coordinator.

4. hakanea
    10:55 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

As a long time season ticket holder ( over 50 years) I don’t do not consider myself to be an armchair quarterback. I have been a huge fan and supporter of the program for over half a century. The financial , emotional and time commitment that myself and other fan’s have made have taken a toll. After this season of frustration the renewal of my season tickets is a question mark .

5. empiremaker
    11:20 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

All I know is that I have to pay out my bets today

6. binarysolo
    11:47 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

Not for anything, but Lincoln Riley — who was in the mix for the UK OC job — was hired by Bob Stoops *after* Mark Stoops hired Dawson, and Oklahoma now enjoys one of the top offenses in the country.

The more you know.

• psacatfan
      11:58 am November 29, 2015 Permalink

The way I remember it, Bob Stoops came in late and offered Riley after Mark had already offered him the job. I believe this caused quite a rift in the Stoops family.

• binarysolo
      12:45 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Oh shoot, really? I missed that. All I ever saw was that UK considered Riley but ultimately went with Dawson, and that came earlier in the timeline from Oklahoma’s hire.

7. Joe Dan Gorman
    12:47 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

I’v e been a fan since John Ray, 1971—when I was a kid…..Anyway—I was slammed for criticizing the Stoops hire – when we got him. Then we gave him a raise for getting a few good recruits? That was his JOB.

Now we’re stuck with him.

If we learned ANYTHING from the Joker era—is that ‘on the job training’ does not cut it in the SEC, a first year head coach has never succeeded, and IMHO will NEVER succeed in the SEC beast..

Nor does hiring coaches with LOSING records.. which encompasses EVERY hire since Blanton Collier in 1962….every single one. no exception—check it out.

We haven’t hiored a Head Coach with qa winning record in over 50 years— and we’re suprised we suck?

And we understand this in basketball. (See Calipari)

• Jaxson
      1:16 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Curci, Claiborne and Curry all had winning records when they were hired.

8. Joe Dan Gorman
    2:11 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Jaxson
    You need to double check your facts… or show me.

Thx

• Jaxson
      2:23 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

Curci was 34W-19L as a head coach (Tampa, Miami) when he was hired.
      Claiborne was 138W-76L-2ties as a head coach (Virginia Tech, Maryland) when he was hired.
      Bill Curry was 57W-53L-4Ties as a head coach (Georgia Tech, Alabama) when he was hired.

• pithuahua
      2:43 pm November 29, 2015 Permalink

As far as I know Kentucky has never hired a football coach with a losing record.