Stoops honors Campbellsville teen

13-year-old Cameron Smith of Campbellsville tragically passed away in his mother’s home last Friday, completely unexpected. The cause of the young footballer’s death is still unknown; “he just stopped breathing,” said the Kentucky Middle School Football Association.

The eighth grader at Campbellsville Middle School wore No. 75 for the Eagles football team, and UK head coach Mark Stoops paid tribute to Cameron by sending his family a No. 75 Kentucky football jersey with his last name on the back.

It’s a very nice gesture by Stoops and UK football for a family and community that is dealing with the tragic loss.

#Cam75

smith75 smith75-2

Article written by Drew Franklin

14 Comments for Stoops honors Campbellsville teen

1. Joe
    3:55 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

That’s just plain awesome. This is the first time I have heard of a coach doing this. What a kind gesture.

2. I Am Spartacus
    3:57 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

Very Cool! This guy gets it.

3. Sam
    4:15 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

I wonder if the kid was on psychotropic drugs or had any recent vaccinations, even the flu shot. Thousands of people are dying each year with these two things as direct causes. My prayers are with his family.

4. rick
    4:20 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

WELL DONE

5. KIVH
    4:27 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

As a CMS teacher and UK graduate, couldn’t be prouder. Coach Stoops, we thank you. I ask that everyone please continue to pray for this sweet boys family, classmates, teachers, coaches, and teammates. 💜GoEagles💙GoCats

6. YSR2KSR
    4:30 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

reminds of tubbys gesture to stewart family. very touching. much classier than picking on livingston central…go big blue

7. Makes you think...
    4:33 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

Wow, that’s truly tragic. When I look at the picture of that young man I see my own 12-year old. I hope it reduced in some small measure that family’s pain.

8. Al/in/Indy
    4:50 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

Mitch Barnhart hires the best coaches that truly get it. What a super gesture, and please pray for this young man’s family, friends, and classmates.
    Unlike Uvel threatening to sue a HS for using a drawing of that damn bird with teeth. I hope Livingston Central changes their mascot to a WILDCAT!

9. Scout714
    5:14 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

He may have had Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Its a common condition even among children. You stop breathing at night and that stresses the heart. My prayers are with the family.

10. Donna
    6:55 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

I am from Campbellsville and a die-hard UK fan……this coach is A CLASS ACT!!!! Prayers to the Smith family in the comings seconds…minutes…hours…days…..

11. dave
    7:07 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

A class act

12. Jamie Browning
    7:09 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

As a die hard UofL fan, all you can say is WOW. This is what life is suppose to be about. Reaching out to help others during tough times. As the voice of Campbellsville High School Eagles, it will be very hard to do the game this Friday night seeing that “75” on the field. I did not know Mr Smith, but this school system is so amazing with its unity. A “BIG THANKS” to coach Stoops for what he and the Univ of Ky has done to reach out to this family. on this day all you can say is “Go Big Blue”

13. Unis
    8:35 pm October 3, 2013 Permalink

All my thoughts and prayers to the family, classmates, team mates, and teachers. Such a terrible tragedy. I’m so glad the schools and community are all pulling together. A nice job and big thanks to coach Shoops of University of Kentucky, it says a lot for them in what they done. Go Eagles. And Go Blue. R.I.P. #75 KAM!!!!

14. DARRELL FORD
    4:45 pm October 4, 2013 Permalink

Very honored to be a UK fan. This is a class act that I know the family appreciates. God Bless the family and friends of Cameron. My granddaughter went to school with him this is hard on all of them. God Bless Coach Stoops and his family