Stoops calls in to get you ready for the Spring Game (Wednesday Show Thread)

© Mark Zerof

© Mark Zerof

© Mark Zerof

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Wednesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, Drew, and Shannon will recap the news of the day, including Jemarl Baker’s commitment and the start of the spring signing period. They’ll also welcome on Mark Stoops at 11:30 a.m. as he gets us ready for Friday night’s Spring Game. As an added bonus, Mychal Mulder will join the guys at 11:15 a.m. Sounds like a can’t miss show if you ask me.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

60 Comments for Stoops calls in to get you ready for the Spring Game (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:12 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Zach Collins > Bam?
    Nutz.

2. Realme
    10:15 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Damn. I hate that, but I don’t blame Isaac.

• J-Dub421
      10:22 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Same. I’ll miss him.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:17 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Is there a girl story with Bamba?

4. ukjaybrat
    10:18 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

In case anyone wants to follow the crazy recruiting world and what next year’s team will look like

• Realme
      10:28 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

So this already had Humphries gone, and has Bamba and Johnson in. Are you (or whoever made this) psychic? 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      10:31 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, that’s pretty optimistic….where did it come from?

• ukjaybrat
      10:36 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

It’s just a guess. The ✓ means it’s been confirmed

• Realme
      10:42 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I prefer to think you KNOW, Jay. I like that roster a lot.

• ukjaybrat
      10:49 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

i hoe i’m wrong and bam comes back (but everything else stays the same lol)

• RealCatsFan
      11:00 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Hope we get Johnson. Good shooter, and has experience. Besides, the football team has shown the value of having a big Johnson. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:06 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

RCF, you do have a way with words.

5. secrick
    10:23 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Just got on. What’s going on with Bam and is Humphries going pro.

• Realme
      10:25 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

No news on Bam. Humphries is gone.

• ukjaybrat
      10:27 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

sad to hear about humphires. but i can understand. even though he is in position to explode next year, it’s going to be a PACKED frontcourt. AND he could go make pro money now. hard to pass that up and take the chance for what could be a regression and more bench time.

6. Realme
    10:30 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

This is why people should just stop complaining about the state of UK basketball recruiting. Even the obviously not one and dones don’t stay 3 and 4 years. Cal brings them in too, and then unexpected things happen. It is what it is, and it’s still incredible, if a little sad sometimes.

• secrick
      10:34 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

He hopes they stay but must do such a good job coaching them they can move on.

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Sometimes they just develop faster, like Booker. Cal thought he would be a two year player and he was one and done. Considering his rookie season in the NBA, it was the right choice because he’s crushing it.

Alternately when we have a player return, like Briscoe or the Harrison twins, they get crushed by the fan base and everyone acts like they suck even when they’re really good. There is no pleasing some people.

• RealCatsFan
      10:47 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I think the big difference between Cal and most other coaches is that Cal is upfront and honest with his players, and has their best interests in mind instead of his own, or sometimes the team. I think Cal truly does walk the “players first” walk, which might irritate some fans, but it is the reason that he gets most of these recruits. Certain other coaches will try to convince a kid to come back for their own selfish interests, and not for he benefit of the kid.

7. secrick
    10:33 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Isaac seems to be a great kid and loved that little smile he had when he scored against the cheating N.C. tarheels when walking back to the bench when time out was called. Good Luck to him and i hope he makes it.

8. Realme
    10:39 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I think Winyard or SKJ will take a step forward now.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:39 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think United could have known about the passenger’s criminal record, so but for the grace of God, it could have happened to any one of us.
    I don’t think that’s the America any of us want to live in.
    While this was not an indictment of our country…United employees and/or others should be charged with assault/battery.

• ukjaybrat
      10:41 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

But wasn’t it confirmed that was Chicago PD that actually dragged the guy off the plane?

• runningunnin.454
      10:45 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Then Chicago PD should be charged with A/B; they had no just cause or reasonable suspicion that he had committed a crime.

• Realme
      10:48 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I thought it was United security, and that the PD came in because of the bogus police report. How else would the guy that did the dragging be suspended by United?

• RealCatsFan
      10:51 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I understand that the airlines overbook to try to compensate for no-shows and to make sure the planes are as full as possible, but don’t they charge a cancellation fee to make up for this?

Someone on the radio made the analogy that imagine if your hotel could decide that they want to sell more rooms than they have, and they come in and drag you battered and bloodied out of your bed in the middle of the night. Of course this would never be allowed, but the airline industry is the only place that this can happen, and it is time for it to stop. Deregulation of the airline industry is a perfect example that SOMETIMES there needs to be a watchdog for these entities.

• ukjaybrat
      10:51 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

“How else would the guy that did the dragging be suspended by United?”

i didn’t know that was the case. i never actually read an entire story. just what other people have been saying. so if that’s the case, then i must have misheard

• Realme
      10:54 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I could be wrong too. So much info from varying sources and it all runs together in my mind.

10. secrick
    10:49 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I don’t think SKJ will be back next year. I hope he does but believe he is to good to sit again.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I’m afraid that Cal may have shot himself in the foot by not giving SKJ just a little bit of playing time.

• Realme
      10:55 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Does Isaac’s departure give him any hope? I too wish he’d gotten more of an opportunity, but Cal is the one who watched him in practice / off the court, so there may be reasons we don’t know.

• ukjaybrat
      10:56 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

i hope not. hopefully he sticks around next year and improves enough to get on the floor

• runningunnin.454
      10:56 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

That’s true, secrick and RCF; there were plenty of opportunities to play him. This was very strange; and, there must be more to the story.

11. Realme
    11:01 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Comment section on the “Humphries is leaving” article is so much nicer and understanding than the one for the Briscoe is leaving article was. I’m glad some really good callers got through and said the right things when Isaiah was on the show.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Which makes zero sense considering Briscoe was a much bigger contributor to the team for the last two seasons. I really don’t understand the mentality of a lot of fans.

12. CatFanDu
    11:12 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Just fighting the video ad crashes on here and waiting on Mulder & STOOPS call-in! Basketball, Basket Ball, let’s move on….

13. Realme
    11:16 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Can we talk about Baker? Twitter simultaneously told me that he is a stellar shooter that will be just the what we needed, AND that his 3 point percentage is 3rd best of the incoming guards (meaning he’d be mostly for depth). What do you guys think?

• secrick
      11:19 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Watched some film on him but it was all 3 point shooting so don’t know enough about him. H e can hit the 3 all right and you know we will need that void filled next year.

• J-Dub421
      11:22 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

In Cal we trust.

• Realme
      11:23 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I’m glad we got him either way. Just not sure how much hype to believe.

• secrick
      11:25 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

If Cal likes him i think he will be just fine. Like J-Dub said.

• runningunnin.454
      11:43 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Arizona, Oklahoma State, Marquette, and Maryland all expressed interest…that’s good enough for me.
      I like that he didn’t drag his recruitment out…he saw the opportunity and grabbed it.

14. J-Dub421
    11:26 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Oh come on iHeart!! Crapped out right as Mulder came on. Grrrr!!!!

• runningunnin.454
      11:30 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Good interview….wish him all the best.

• ukjaybrat
      11:33 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

kinda feel bad for the guy. he was every bit as a part of this team as derek and dom, but all you hear about are those two. even cal did it in his podcast this morning. “derek and dom” … “derek and dom” … don’t get me wrong, i loved me some hawkins, but still. can’t help but shake mulder never really felt like a part of this team. He didn’t get as much pt last year as he hoped. didn’t get very much at all in his senior game.

• J-Dub421
      11:40 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Because he’s not from Kentucky. A large portion of our fanbase is obsessed with players from Kentucky. Even now with all the talent coming in next season, I have seen people say “we need a player from the state of Kentucky!!” No, we don’t.

• J-Dub421
      11:42 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I switched over to actual radio and caught most of Mulder’s interview. Again, a really good dude.

• Realme
      11:46 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I’m a little sad there’s no Ky guy. I’d like to get one Dom or Darius every 4 years, but sometimes it doesn’t work out that way.

• J-Dub421
      11:49 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I like have Kentucky players, if they have the talent and athleticism necessary. I don’t just want to have a Kentucky kid to have a Kentucky kid.

15. secrick
    11:44 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

We do need a player from Ky and secrick is ready to go. Just Kidding.

16. Realme
    11:45 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Time for Baker and Bone to both live up to their hype.

17. J-Dub421
    11:46 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I’m pretty sure Bama’s recruiting strategy is just to try to steal whoever we recruit.

• runningunnin.454
      11:55 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Kind of reminds you of the Yankees, doesn’t it?

• Laker Cat 18
      11:55 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Not going to lie, that’s kind of cool. Considering our history. I’m almost alright with it.

18. Realme
    11:48 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Football needs two signing periods.

• ukjaybrat
      11:52 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand why we have “signing periods” anyway. Just let the kids sign whenever they want.
      That would take away from the Bama’s swooping in and stealing recruits at the last second we’ve worked on for years. It would prevent kids from being “pestered” by coaches they don’t want to talk to if they’ve already committed/signed with another program.

• Realme
      11:57 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Good point. I can understand recruiting dead periods, but what does a specific signing period accomplish? Still, a fall one like in bball would help some with the decommitments.

19. Realme
    11:55 am April 12, 2017 Permalink

Matt managed to avoid the Bahamas story again.