Steve Kerr’s Friday News and Views

Steve Kerr was the talk of the NBA Thursday afternoon after taking the Golden State job over an offer to become the head coach of the New York Knicks. Some are surprised by his decision, but it was an easy one, really. Simply put, Golden State is good and the Knicks aren’t. Yes, Phil Jackson is running the New York office now but the Knicks have no money and zero draft picks this summer. The Warriors, on the other hand, are a playoff team with the pieces to be good for a while. “Hey, Steph Curry, just dribble around and shoot it.” Easy decision.

So tonight we salute Steve Kerr and his sweet new gig, his first head coaching job, by giving him the Friday News and Views honors. But it just wouldn’t be right if we didn’t dedicate a small portion of his shout-out to that unforgettable shot he hit in the 1997 NBA Finals. You remember it: Jordan had the ball with a chance to win the game, he gave it up to Kerr, everyone groaned, and Kerr knocked it down to win the ‘ship.

During Kerr’s speech at the championship parade in Chicago, he said Jordan told Phil Jackson he didn’t feel comfortable in late game situations. Kerr jokingly said, “I thought to myself, well, I gotta bail Michael out again.”

If that’s not enough to make you like Steve Kerr, remember, he once called Anthony Davis the next LeBron James. Now you’re sold. Let’s do this News and Views thing…

*****

The combine measurements are in!

The league pulled out the measuring tape on Thursday and sized the boys up. Randle’s wingspan wasn’t as bad as the haters made it out to be all season. Young had some nice numbers, too.

Julius Randle
Height w/o shoes: 6’7.75″
Height with shoes: 6’9″
Weight: 250 lbs.
Wingspan: 7’0
Standing Reach: 8’9.5″

James Young
Height w/o shoes: 6’5.25″
Height with shoes: 6’6.75″
Weight: 213 lbs.
Wingspan: 7’0
Standing Reach: 8’8″

Young is going to earn some extra money off his measurements.

Cheese and rice, Andrew Wiggins’ vertical is incredible.

If this NBA thing doesn’t pan out, he has a future in changing light bulbs.

Randle interviewed with Utah, Cleveland, Philadelphia, Boston and Orlando.

None of this really matters to us until we see the draft order. Commissioner Silver will open the envelopes on Tuesday of next week at the NBA Draft Lottery. Then we’ll start getting some serious projections.

Please no Utah.

John Wall’s season is over.

The last remaining Wildcat in the NBA playoffs was sent home Thursday night on his own floor at the hands of the Indiana Pacers. Wall scored 12 points on 5-of-16 shooting with nine assists and five rebounds in the Game 6 loss.

The Wizards should hold their heads high, though, considering they were so close to reaching the conference finals. Can’t be all that upset about a young team losing in the East semis. The future is very bright in Washington.

Lexington Center chairman sent Eli Capilouto a letter asking for public support of the Rupp Arena project.

Capilouto has until May 23 to respond to Brent Rice’s letter pushing for public support from the university. Meanwhile, spending has halted as they’ve almost spent all of the $5.5 million designated for design, and times are getting desperate. The uncertainty of the project is costing Lexington tourism a lot of money right now and things won’t get better until everyone is on board or the project is scrapped.

Read more details in Thursday’s report from the Herald-Leader.

Former West Virginia star insinuated Alabama offered him a Corvette; Nick Saban said, “Kiss my ass.”

Alabama running back Derrick Henry recently Instagrammed a photo of his new car, a brand new Dodge Challenger with all the fixins’…

Henry has been catching a lot of heat for flaunting his new toy, as he should considering he is a full-time student with no job. But things got really interesting when former West Virginia quarterback Pat White commented about the photo on his Facebook page, saying, “Stop pretending like you didn’t know the crimson tide has been doing this for years. Still glad I turned down a Corvette to become a mountaineer.”

Nick Saban was asked about White’s accusations Thursday night, to which he said, “I didn’t even know that happened. Is that the best thing we can talk about? Kiss my ass.”

I don’t have a lot of room to talk, honestly. I accepted free room and board and free home-cooked meals from Mom to attend Madisonville Community College out of high school. It’s no Corvette or Dodge Challenger but she makes a mean white chicken chili.

We’re No. 104!!!

USA Today ranked all of the teams in college football and your University of Kentucky Wildcats came in at No 104. That means the author sees only 14 teams that are worse than the Cats entering the 2014 season.

However, he did have some nice things to say about the future:

In total, foundational pieces have been added at nearly every position. But UK’s best draw is the process itself: Stoops and this staff have changed the program’s course of direction. The Wildcats are making noise off the field. Next, the program needs to translate this success to between the white lines. Good days are ahead. But this team is not quite ready to move out of the cellar in the East Division [USA Today]

Rome wasn’t built in a day. And Rome wasn’t built after three season of Joker Phillips, either. Patience, my friends.

I’ll leave you with this supercut video from the Idaho GOP primary debate.

If I could vote in Idaho, I’d have a hard time deciding between the two bearded guys. You should look up the entire debate if you have the time.

Go Cats, everybody.

Article written by Drew Franklin

31 Comments for Steve Kerr’s Friday News and Views

1. JohnWall
    11:35 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

We were a 5 seed

• Ralph
      8:19 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Are you really John Wall?

• Not John Wall
      1:19 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Well, it wasn’t me!

2. What the?!
    11:35 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

I’m not sure what I just watched. What…how…huh?? I’ll just chalk it up to what makes America great. But still what the?!

3. BillCairston
    11:53 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Oh good — more liberal propaganda from Matt Jones and Drew Franklin. Can’t go a day without insulting conservatives, can you Drew?

• Drew Franklin
      12:19 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

If you only knew how little I know and care about politics…

• The Normal Guy
      8:17 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Drew,

I feel the KSR staff should play these characters (from the video) during next season’s NCAA Selection Sunday and debate the seeds!

• No Politics Please
      7:56 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Maybe you don’t Drew, but Matt sure does. This website is very good, but take out ANY mention of politics and it becomes great!

4. Haha
    11:59 pm May 15, 2014 Permalink

Well he was right about one thing “Half the republican party is democrat and half the the democrat party is communist”.

• Rupp
      2:42 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Genius!!

5. Panama
    12:09 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Love Matt and Drew, but they seriously could not figure out why people wanted to leave Illinois. Can you say Chicago politics and murder capital of the world?

God bless Conservative Americans!

• Drew Franklin
      12:20 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I have no idea what you’re talking about. But I love you, too.

6. Chaz
    12:11 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

For some unknown reason my memory regurgitated the name Joe Pyne as I watched this debate. I saw a couple of his shows in the 50’s as a child and I guess the repressed memories have surfaced after all these years. He was John Stewart, Rush Limbaugh, and Stephen Colbert, among others before they were in diapers. His guests included Lester Maddox, Jerry Rubin, F. Lee Bailey, Godfrey Cambridge, Helen Gurley Brown, Frank Zappa, Jack Anderson, James Meredith, and George Lincoln Rockwell among others. Some of you may even recognize or remember those names. If you’ve got time to kill this summer, search YouTube for “Joe Pyne” for a look at the political/pop landscape in the 50’s and 60’s. It’s Retro and it’s worth a look.

7. Casper
    12:26 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Drew, i thought you said you went to Madisonville CC because of a girl.
    I hope it was not your mother.

8. Doc Johnson
    12:26 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

A self-imposed death penalty, that’s what Mitch allowed Joker to do to UK football. Friends should not let friends drive drunk, well somone should have taken the keys away from Barnhart for not seeing what Joker was doing to the program. It was not just one year too long, it was two years to long, and all because Joker was (and still is) his good friend. Good luck to Coach Stoops and all the wonderful players he is bringing to Lexington. It will be a tough tough tough hill to climb thanks to Mitch and his buddy Joker.

• CPACAT
      8:49 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Doc, I respectfully disagree with your assessment of Mitch Barnhart. In Joker’s first year they were 6-7 and went to a bowl that they could have won had Mike Hartline not gone ape at a party. 2010 was a great year with very near misses against eventual national champion Auburn, Miss St, and UT and big wins over SCar. and UL.

In his second year they were 5-7, with a big win over Tennessee. It could be argued, in hindsight, that you could see the wheels coming off after year two; but not enough to fire the guy.

In year three, the wheels did come off and Barnhart did what he needed to do. (Just like he did w Gillispie, BTW)

• Revisionist history
      10:09 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

And once again we get revisionist history from the same part of BBN that spent the first several years of Rich Brooks’ tenure not wanting him fired rather calling for him to be drawn and quartered, shot multiple times and set on fire. The same group that after he left somehow turned the guy into Bear Brooks. I love me some Brooks but these nut bags act like a guy who never had a winning season in conference somehow invented the game. Then after hating the guy with a disturbing passion, followed by wanting to have his children they somehow manage to forget that hiring Joker was completely by his design and something that he spent every last ounce of cache making happen. Personally I think Rich Brooks did a great job and cared very much for the program and thought continuity with Joker really was the best guy for the job. He was wrong. Mitch was wrong. And now the Joker haters/Brooks lovers seem to somehow separate the two in their scary little minds. Of course they’re also the ones who take Joker’s failure personally as if this alum who having finally achieved his dream job after putting the better portion of his life into the program suddenly tanked it intentionally. They are basically the embarrassing portion of BBN that just needs to be locked in its room anytime company comes over.

9. David
    12:32 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Pat White??? the Miami Dolphins spent a 2nd rounder on him (while passing on LeSean McCoy)…thanks for reminding me about that travesty…LOL..I can’t seem to escape bad Dolphin draft picks wherever I go…and Pat White is 0-5 passing for 0 (as in zero) yards in his NFL CAREER (he does have 80 plus yards on 21 carries though)…whooohoooo….thanks KSR…maybe you can remind me who the Dolphins took over Dermonti Dawson back in 1988 (hint: Jarvis Williams DB)…even when they can draft a HOF from UK they flub…oh the humanity

10. homemade
    2:11 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I like it when people get together and share opinions. Great website,
    keep it up!

11. truBLU
    7:07 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Who knew that Bobby “the brain” Heenan was running for office???

12. kes
    7:16 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

i didnt even have to watch the video to see it was republicans. old, white, angry, yep! republicans!

• beavis
      7:36 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

And I guess you are a Democrat,,,,the party of Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi ? Old, white and angry Democrats.

• highoctanehurricane
      12:01 pm May 16, 2014 Permalink

Old, white and angry = Republicans? I thought Democrats didn’t believe in stereotyping…

13. arlo
    7:17 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

durr….i really don’t want to salute steve kerr. he’s not even an officer anyway.

14. James K
    8:31 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

The Steve Kerr video is awesome. He was always one of my heroes, because I honestly thought as a kid that I had a chance to become like Steve Kerr. Yeah, he actually had some legitimate high level talent. I overlooked that a smidge as a kid.

15. Steve Black
    8:33 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I want to move to Idaho!!!! hahaha

16. $1.75 Tacos?
    8:43 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

Mayor Gray made the “new RUPP” project be destined to fail by adding streams and parks, do not blame UK.

17. Some Guy in Kentucky
    9:20 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

I think Steve Kerr’s dad was an U.S. ambassador when he was at Arizona, and he was killed by the P.L.O.. At one of Arizona’s road PAC 10 games after that happened, the students chanted “P.L.O., P.L.O., P.L.O.” at Steve Kerr.

18. Challenger Owner Too!
    10:22 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

With regard to Derrick Henry’s new whip. Being the owner of a Dodge Challenger also, I can safely say that his is nowhere in value close to the price of a Vette. Looking at the striping and the absence of the Hemi badging on the hood, this is probably one of the V6 Challengers. If new, its probably a $26-27,000 car, maybe less. While this is nothing to sneeze at, but the nearly $60,000 for a Vette Mr White says was offered him, would make one wonder really how valuable Mr Henry is to Alabama, apparently not too much.

19. So
    11:22 am May 16, 2014 Permalink

So if that is a white kid staning in front of that dodge would that be on KSR?