Stephen Zimmerman lists Kentucky in his top eight

@BIGG_ZIMM

@BIGG_ZIMM

@BIGG_ZIMM

2015 center Stephen Zimmerman announced his top eight schools this morning, and to no one’s surprise, the Cats are among them. Zimmerman put together this nifty little photo collage and posted it on Twitter to commemorate the occasion.

At 6’11”, 225 lbs., Zimmerman is considered the fifth best player and the second best center in the 2015 class by 247 Sports Composite. The Cats have visited the Las Vegas native three times since offering him last summer. Right now, his 247 Sports Crystal Ball sits at 50% Arizona, 27% UNLV, 9% Kentucky, 9% Kansas, and 5% Duke.

Zimmerman would be a huge get, but pardon me if I don’t get too excited about a top eight announcement. In Cal We Trust.

Regardless, watch him work:

38 Comments for Stephen Zimmerman lists Kentucky in his top eight

1. Jughead
    10:34 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

He’ll stay on the west coast.

2. JHK
    10:38 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Can’t blame the top bigs if they just take a look at our rosters and think “Man 2 or 3 of these 6 guys might very well still be here when I arrive” and decide to go elsewhere.

3. Gman
    10:38 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

No way he comes when we are this stacked on centers.

4. 1fan
    10:43 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Not impressed with the video anyway. Awkward lefty in the post is not a huge get. He may dominate highschool but would be very limited in college. IMO.

• average fan
      11:49 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Agree completely. Plays under the rim. Does have a nice shooting touch and seems to be a good passer.

• sam's Dog Cal
      9:02 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Couldnt agree more. dude is slow. He will be playing in Turkey within 5 years. He looks just like Jared Carter…Yall remember Jared Carter….*crickets*

5. Maxbps9
    10:48 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

1. Would love to have him. He’s the left version of Karl Towns and would be an incredible addition to the Cats.
    2. Too many centers? WCS and Dakari are leaving after next year. Maybe Karl, too. And, where have you been? Part of the KentuckY Draw is that these nba-bound kids will be practicing…PRACTICING against nba-talent. There is no where else in the world SZimmerman could go to better prepare himself for the nba than UK. PERIOD.
    3. How does this website have DU at 5% when they aren’t even on the list???

• Blue Jesus
      10:53 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think it’s safe to assume Marcus Lee and Lyles are coming back either, by any stretch of the imagination. It’s very possible we’ll have a mass exodus of big men next summer.

• Captain obvious
      11:00 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

The answer to your 3rd point is quite simple. They list duke because he is a talented white kid and where do all of the talented white kids go?

• brain
      12:56 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

He’s not a left version of Towns. Towns had much better perimeter skills and athleticism.

6. timefor9
    10:48 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

I doubt we would end up getting him, but I think that is ok. I like top center Diamond Stone much better, plus Stone has said that he and top overall player/guard Malik Newman, whose crystal ball is leaning heavily towards Kentucky, will go to school together. However, as we’ve seen with Emmanuel Mudiay, anything can change very quickly. Also, you kind of have to take these players “package deal” talks with a grain of salt. They don’t always work out.

7. Michael
    10:49 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

I watched him play in the MB Beach Ball Classic with Bishop Gorman back when Shabazz Muhammed’s little brother was on the team. He looked stiff and slow back then, but I guess he has improved.

8. Steve
    10:54 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

If he’s serious about UK, I think he will want to wait until the last minute to see who we are losing after next season. No way he commits to us anytime soon.

9. James
    11:07 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Meh

10. vator32nh
    11:08 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Good kid. I have seen him play some here in Vegas. Kid has great footwork and handles the ball well for a big guy. Has been well coached and has a fundamentally sound game. Only thing I have seen that isnt a positive is that he needs to get stronger but that can be said about 95% of high school players. Will be a great get for whoever gets him. I honestly think right now that its a race between UNLV and Zona and probably is pretty close between the two.

11. Jay
    11:13 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Ryan has to take the Wonderlic test

12. mike
    11:17 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Kyle Wiltjer 2.0

13. White Guy
    11:19 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

White Guys don’t work out at UK.. we traditionally recruited them as shooters.. but they don’t work in Cal’s offensive simply cause they can’t/don’t play defense, or have the skill to play the full length of the court.

14. BK
    11:20 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

This kid has NO right hand at all. Usually junior year big guys can finish layups with both hands. This kid cannot at all. Might be a good prospect for the Cats, but not a must have. IMO

15. No thanks
    11:25 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Love his skill but no thanks. Not interested in Cody Zeller. Give me Skal any day.

16. chee
    11:27 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

class 2015 for UK;
    1-newman
    2-mathews
    3-j.brown
    4-braggs
    5-diallo

17. Truth
    11:37 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

That is an honorable list of schools. Only one has a dirty recruiter.

• Lil' Birdee
      12:10 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I’ve been saying the same thing for years about Arizona, too. Glad I’m not the only one.

I also like to use the “UofL Formula of Justification”: If they recruit better than us, they are cheating. If they beat us, they are cheating. So far, I haven’t found any holes in this line of thinking (minus the whole “proof” thing, but that’s neither here nor there). It helps me sleep better at night.

18. Megan
    11:40 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

Why does anyone think his opinion of this kid matters? If Calipari wants him, that’s all we need to know.

• mike
      12:32 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Because this is America.

• DW
      2:43 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Same reason why your opinion of his opinion matters (it doesn’t, but it’s nice you felt that was important enough to post?)… Some people actually like to think with their own brains and formulate their own opinions… That’s how humans have been evolving over the ages… just sayin

• sam's Dog Cal
      9:05 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I like how you tell people opinions dont matter…. In the form of an opinion.

19. Axe Cop
    11:43 am April 30, 2014 Permalink

How in the hell is IU on that list?

• Pabloco
      1:23 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

I assumed he was from Indiana until I saw the “Las Vegas native” part. No explanation.

20. Cal Sterlilng
    12:17 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Look, I have nothing against white people. In fact, I have a few of them living in my house. But as basketball players, they have a certain, let’s say, lack of athleticism, to play meaningful minutes for me. I mean, my gosh, Jon Hood couldn’t even get on the floor while Archie Goodwin was busy running over people in the lane, leading us to a first round defeat in the NIT. Plus, white players really don’t fit the stereotype of what I’m selling here at UK. You know, the underprivileged kid whose life I’m saving. Players first all the way, baby. Unless of course, you’re white.

21. The Ville fan with a linebeard, drinking Crown Royal, tatted up, throwin up the L
    12:51 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

As a Louisville fan, I say he is ours for the taking. How could he not walk into the Yum Center (the best arena in the entire world) and not commit on the spot? We are the most profitable team in college basketball. No way he doesn’t pick us.

If he doesn’t pick us it’s because we stopped recruiting the kid because he is trouble, wants to be one and done, is a thug, doesn’t want to do things the right way, and is scared to work hard under Rick Pitino.

• Bravo, Good Sir
      12:58 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Absolutely nailed it.

Kudos.

22. Really
    12:59 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

How is no one mentioning that he is Jared Carter’s cousin who coincidentally was way overhyped as well.

• Cal Sterling
      1:14 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

That is soooooo unfair! Black coaches, like Tubby (and me) don’t know how to develop white players. So we just let them rot away on the bench.

• Cal Sterling
      1:33 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

Jarrod Polson > John Wall
      Jon Hood > MKG
      Derek Willis > Trey Lyles, Johnson, WCS, Karl Towns COMBINED!

23. Blue To The Bone...
    1:17 pm April 30, 2014 Permalink

In the end…Kansas..Duke..Carolina..Arizona…but I would sure love to have him…Looks like an excellent offensive player and that is the name of the game…scoring points..next yrs team will be much better than this one because we will have multiple shooters!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Slick Willie