Stephen Zimmerman is going to UNLV

As expected, five-star center Stephen Zimmerman will stay home to play for nearby UNLV next season. Zimmerman announced his decision on Twitter late Thursday night, saying, “Thx 2 all the programs & fans that supported me. This is MY decision & I’ve decided 2 stay home & attend #UNLV.”

Zimmerman chose the Runnin’ Rebels over Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA and Arizona.

Good luck out west, kid.

Article written by Drew Franklin

32 Comments for Stephen Zimmerman is going to UNLV

1. Kyblue34
    12:06 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Makes no sense…..why wait all this time and then choose UNLV nonchalantly on twitter? It’s not like he was waiting for someone to go pro from UNLV, and it’s pretty clear now he was never leaving home. What a drama queen momma’s boy!

2. FrogWilson
    12:12 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

UNLV?!?!? Dude?!? Really?!? Over Kentucky?!?

• Wilfred Smith
      5:47 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Lee, Poythress, and Skal. Maybe he did some math and said – I would be the 4th guy for 80 minutes per game.

3. david8577
    1:06 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Not the first time a young kid has made a terrible decision. But best of luck to him.

• Cousins Fake Tooth
      2:06 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

He gave the finger to UK. Nah, not best of luck to him.

4. Angelo
    1:44 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Poor kid. He is a four year guy like Wiltjer. He should have at least gone to Gonzaga.

5. Kevin C
    2:33 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Even Anthony Bennett knows this is a bad idea…

6. cats42301
    2:40 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Before all the name calling begins I’d to make one point. In football I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of us true UK football fans seriously question a player’s decision to attend his home state school (UK) such as Drew Barker for example. No we congratulate him and commend him for supporting his homel team. I’m not talking about the press or rival teams, I’m talking about the UK football fan like myself who supports the team no matter what and the fan who always has hope that someday all the pieces fall into place and we will win the SEC, go to a BCS bowl etc. We commend him on being loyal etc. But when someone like Zimmerman who apparently wants to stay home and do the exact same thing just a different sport and school some of our “fans”have to take their frustrations to social media and post asinine comments such as the ones above, he’ll be sorry, we didn’t need him anway, mama’s boy. You all sound like toddlers! Grow up for heaven’s sake! I really hope that I am not in the minority on this am I? If I am in the minority I am truly embarrassed to be part of the BBN

• Rixter
      8:10 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

If you’re ever embarrassed to be part of any group of people, the obvious solution is leave that group.

• millerkc
      8:52 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

There are “nut jobs” in every fan base. Unfortunately our massive fan base (much much larger than other schools) means more of ours will show up. Proud to be a member of this “group of people”, but ashamed of how idiotic some of them choose to be. I agree with you 100%

• real True Blue Cat
      10:05 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Agreed. I wish we could vote some people out. It’s not like this kid trolled us in a big way till the end like that local running back who picked Bama. Neither he nor his mom were up in our face building suspense or lying to promote his decision. He didn’t show any lack of class or anything other than respect for out program. He just wanted to stay home near his family. Good for him. Kentucky is not for everyone.

• RealCatsFan
      10:41 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Well said. I think Stephen and his mom have been very complimentary of Cal and UK, so we need to take the high road and wish him luck. Would love to have him, but we are UK and we will be fine. There’s an ebb and flow to recruiting – the past two years were a high point, so there is bound to be a trough. We will be fine – this might turn out to be one of those teams that starts off slow, finds its identity, and then gels and gets hot just in time for the tourney and surprises us with a championship – much like the ’98 team did.

• Kyblue34
      2:27 pm April 17, 2015 Permalink

Sorry, but some of you don’t seem to understand the significant amount of time and effort that Cal put into recruiting Zimmerman. Cal spent more time trying to land Zimmerman than any other recruit in this class, and barely had any contact with the other centers in the class. If Zimmerman wants to stay home and play, I am fine with that, but why wait all year and string along coaches and fans. Why say that you’re waiting to see which players leave for the NBA when clearly that wasn’t the case? If he had chosen Arizona, UCLA, or Kansas, I would respect that decision and move on. I don’t care if Zimmerman and his mom have been complimentary, the fact that they strung this out when they knew he was staying home is very disrespectful and classless in my opinion. He will never come out and say it, but I’m sure Cal is pissed. Cal absolutely wanted and thought he had Zimmerman locked up until a couple of weeks ago. These decisions have consequences, and Cal should have known better, but it screwed us out of the opportunity and time to get involved with other big men in the class: Swanigan, Stone, Rabb, Bryant, etc. Cal stopped recruiting all those guys for a reason, and the reason was Zimmerman. So you people can wish him good luck all you want, I will not and I hope him and his mom fade into obscurity.

• marcmaggard
      3:25 pm April 17, 2015 Permalink

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^Nailed it^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7. Hicksy
    3:56 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Good luck to him. If we can get Thorne we won’t miss Zimmerman as much this year. Skal, Lee and Thorne, with Alex playing backup PF minutes, is a front line good enough to compete for a championship. We will miss him more the following year because the 2016 big man class doesn’t seem to be very strong and it would’ve been nice having him start as a soph. But as far as next year, we’re one elite, scoring wing away from making another run.

• millerkc
      8:55 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

I agree. I also think Willis could play a bigger role next year as well.

8. Cousins Fake Tooth
    4:11 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

“This is MY decision & I’ve decided” tell’s me mama Zimm decided where he is going.

9. Art Vandalay
    5:26 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

CJ Leslie called….. said this might have been a mistake.

Problem is these kids have been told they are good enough that it doesn’t matter where they go and they will get the attention and enough eyeballs on them to put them in a good position in the draft.

Bad news is finding out this isn’t the case the hard way is an extremely expensive life lesson.

At least the kid and his momma are gonna get all the privacy they could ever want for the rest of his career.

10. BMT
    7:09 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

I think it boils down to this:

1. Labissiere, Lee, Poythress and possibly one or two others. You could argue that Mike Thorne was the plan B in case Cal missed out on some of the bigs in the 2015 class. On the other hand, Thon Maker is still out there and if you put any stock at all in “crystral ball” predictions, then it seems like UK may have a good shot at him.

2. Obviously UNLV sold Zimmerman on staying home. It seems like the kid has a very close relationship with his family (at least his mother is awfully involved in his life) and I’m sure that was an added bonus to staying home.

3. Regardless of how he’s worked out in the NBA (5 PPG, 3.8RPG), Dave Rice no doubt pointed to Anthony Bennett as a guy who came to UNLV and went #1 overall in the draft. And so, the argue goes, you don’t have to go to Kentucky (or Duke, or UNC, or…..) in order to get to the NBA.

• Rixter
      8:14 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

This is the only thing UNLV has to sell to a kid Zimmerman: “We’re close to home”. That’s it.

• millerkc
      9:16 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

UNLV offers the close to home argument

Anthony Bennett argument

Playtime argument

and like Cal always says, UK is not for all people. He may not have been a great fit for our system. If he is the focal point at UNLV, they will run the offense through him and figure out a way to use all of his strengths. With UK, we have great players, if he doesn’t work with what we are doing, he sits. Not to mention all the guys ahead of him.

I still think he made a bad decision, but I definitely understand his decision. Wiltjer has looked so much better at Gonzaga, reason being, look at who they are playing against. It’s a lot different when you are going head to head with athletic players and a tough schedule with great teams. That’s why his defense was shown to be a weakness here but not there.

11. mcp157
    7:46 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Good luck to Zimmerman. Totally understand staying home and giving the family easy access to home games, going home to mom’s cooking and staying in a dry climate.

12. EdC
    7:57 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

For the ambitious type of player the challenge of going head to head with Skal every day would be a bonus. It would force a player to get better on both ends of the floor. Just look at Bledsoe vs. Wall. Some don’t see it that way. Dakari fighting for time for 2 years made him a much better player. Either way it isn’t going to have a major impact on UK.

• cats paw
      8:52 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Of course you also said Duke played no defense and was overrated this year and that we would kill Wisconsin if we played them!

• millerkc
      9:20 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

Duke didn’t play defense this year, until the tournament. Had Wisconsin played the way they did against 70% of the teams they played this year, we would have killed them. Just go back and look at all the close games Wisconsin won against terrible teams. I understand that argument, only problem is, when some teams play us they are not giving the same effort they give against a lower team.

• EdC
      12:22 pm April 17, 2015 Permalink

Wow I have a stalker. Who knew?

13. Reese Davis
    8:56 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

White boys tend to shy away from UK

14. Catsby80
    8:58 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

There are seriously a lot of you that should seek help… Maybe he just loves his family and wants to stay closer to them. What is the problem with that? I’m a die hard cats fan but some of you all need to get a grip.

• Time Expired
      10:54 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

If he does, and I am sure he does, love his family what will he do in the NBA? No pro teams in Nev. and he cannot pick which one then and his mommy will be no help.

• Catsby80
      1:51 pm April 17, 2015 Permalink

by the time he is in the NBA, he will be an adult. he’s still a kid for God sake… I’d rather have a kid stay at home like he wants (ala Kyle Wiltjer) than come to UK and transfer out.

15. Wildcat7
    10:14 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

I still don’t understand why he couldn’t have just announced this weeks ago. Why wait to see if players from other schools were jumping?

16. Time Expired
    10:58 am April 17, 2015 Permalink

He will do very well at UNLV playing against the worst teams in the nation. Good for him to get a big NBA contract to only crash and burn once he plays quality competition. Like Wiltjer his future is college only.