Start your week right with KSR (Monday Show Thread)

icf-ex5mk2-large

Good morning friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. This morning, the KSR crew will discuss Kentucky’s win over South Carolina, the latest on De’Aaron Fox’s ankle, a big, big week, and the SEC’s stupid policy about tweeting highlights, which Matt wrote about last night and I’ve been mocking all season. Tune in for all of that and probably a bunch more random stuff.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

53 Comments for Start your week right with KSR (Monday Show Thread)

1. Laker Cat 18
    10:10 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

The fact that the SEC is more worried about social media copyright infringement than the quality of job their referees are exhibiting is very disturbing.

• ukjaybrat
      10:14 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

yeah i don’t understand why they are cracking down so hard on this. Maybe something happened during the football season that made them so grumpy about it. but when it comes to basketball, they really are doing themselves a disservice by blocking this for uk fans.

• Realme
      10:15 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Matt’s only mad they had the nerve to do that to HIM. Tyler’s been dealing with it all season. It is dumb though.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:18 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Can anyone elucidate on how fair use doctrine and DMCA play into this? It is apparent that Matt is not an expert in this area of the law despite how important it may be to a business such as KSR.

• J-Dub421
      10:22 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I would think KSR would be exempt under the fair use doctrine which makes exceptions for news outlets since KSR writers are credentialed members of the media. Not to mention they actually take some of their own photos and videos, or fans send the same to them for use on the site.

From wikipedia: “Fair use is a US legal doctrine that permits limited use of copyrighted material without acquiring permission from the rights holders. … Examples of fair use in United States copyright law include commentary, search engines, criticism, parody, news reporting, research, and scholarship.”

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Also, if a person takes a photo or video themselves, don’t they own that? How would the SEC have jurisdiction or control over that?

• ukjaybrat
      10:50 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

jdub, if you take a picture in a public space, you own it. but a basketball arena owned by an institution under the sec umbrella is not considered a public space. (or at least that’s the way i would interpret the law. of course i’m no expert)

• Realme
      10:54 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

They’re not taking down people’s personal videos, they’re taking down snippets media use from the SEC broadcast of the game. But they should be glad of any free promotion and focus on trying to fix the quality of the teams, the games, and the officiating.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Matt said they took down tweets with video/photos that KSR had taken. (I think, I’ll have to go back and check the post he wrote yesterday.)

• Realme
      11:05 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

He did say this weekend that KSR finally had a photographer, so you never know. But the things they usually post are replays of big dunks and whatnot that people record from the broadcast and post on twitter. Any time there’s a big play, you can always re-watch it within a minute on Twitter (it’s pretty great). The Brad / Tai bench hijinks video he mentioned was definitely from the game broadcast.

• J-Dub421
      11:07 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

From Matt’s post yesterday, “Our show “Hey Kentucky” was told to no longer showcase what we refer to as “B Roll” highlights from UK games on any presentation of our TV show online, even when that footage has been shot by our own photographers at the game.”

• Realme
      11:12 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Idk about the Hey Ky part, I’m just talking about the tweets they had taken down. I would imagine any video they use would be property of the tv station.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:15 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

How does the SEC actions affect images posted on this site? Are we the target of discrimination?
    What about Freedom of the Press, and the public’s right to know? Did KSR not establish press credentials at the National Conventions? What about fair use? Very confusing.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:19 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Indeed. My thoughts are similar as mentioned above.

3. secrick
    10:20 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Willis and Gabriel are playing great. Keep that up and the CATS are going to be hard to beat.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

After much debate and anxiety, the 4 is getting it done.

• Realme
      10:29 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

So important. And Bam’s backups getting a tiny bit better.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Wondering if they are asking the age of the victim in the accident to decide what hospital they take them to. Adults usually go to trauma unit at University, and pediatrics (under 18) go to Kosair.

• J-Dub421
      10:25 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Depending on the severity of injury, they will sometimes take you to whatever hospital is closest. You can also request to go to a specific hospital.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:28 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Matt, even though it’s the SEC, I still think Jurich is behind the whole thing.

6. CATandMONKEY
    10:28 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Winner.

7. Laker Cat 18
    10:31 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Is it time UK starts looking into the direction of the ACC or Big 10 (or Big 14 or however many teams they have now)?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:33 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

The SEC football money is simply too great an amount for us to ever leave; for better or worse.

• RealCatsFan
      10:39 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

LC, I have been saying that for years. I posted the same on a couple of other articles. Yes, I know we make a lot of money off of SEC football, but it doesn’t seem like UofL, UNC, Duke, et. al., are exactly destitute. And this year at least, the ACC might have been BETTER than the SEC in football too!

8. secrick
    10:39 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Hawkins is no Fox but who the heck is. Hawkins is playing great and also a big plus for the CATS. One of my all time favorites at UK.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Mine too. Plus he’s always smiling and happy and plays great defense.

9. runningunnin.454
    10:42 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Of course, Ashley is entitled to her opinions and freedom of speech; but, when Madonna talks publicly about “blowing up the White House”, it’s time for a visit from the Secret Service. If any one of us were to behave like that, we would be talking to the serious Men in Black.

• secrick
      10:49 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I agree. Whats wrong with these people.

• CatFanDu
      11:30 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Often neglected when “rights” are discussed-
      Every RIGHT carries a RESPONSIBILITY.
      Just because you have the right, doesn’t mean you are correct to exercise it without regard.

Ashley Judd does NOT represent the BBN, she can rot in her nastiness for all this CAT Fan cares! Go root for Teeny See, Puke or Loserville if you can’t behave any better than this episode proves.

10. runningunnin.454
    10:54 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Matt has a point about the SEC blocking promotion of the conference. When I see on the internet or a news outlet that a pitcher is in the eighth inning of a no-hit bid, I turn the game on.
    Alas, when this has happened, the very next batter wrecks it.

• J-Dub421
      10:57 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

The KSR curse carries over to you! 😉

11. J-Dub421
    10:56 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Trae Young just needs to not come to UK. If his dad thought that mild article was too harsh, then he cannot handle the media surrounding UK. As Coach Cal always says, Kentucky isn’t for everyone.

• ukjaybrat
      11:09 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

i thought the same thing. his dad would lose his stuff if he had to “deal with” jerry tipton

12. Go Falcons! (the good Dirty Birds!)

13. kycats13
    11:16 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Anyone notice Auburn’s Katie Frerking last night? And she can play basketball. Congrats to the UK women on the win.

14. Realme
    11:20 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Massielo and his teeth were the epitome of fraudulent when he was in college. He walked around like he was Michael Jordan.

• It is weird that he acted like that. I never knew about it until I heard it discussed on the show before. You would think a guy who is a walk-on, and only because he used to be a ball boy for the coach, would be a little more humble than the star players.

15. Maybe the other coach knows how to manage millennials better.

Here’s what “UKFORLIFE” said, in part, on the other thread at #5 (what he says about training speaks VOLUMES):

I have no problem with what Steve said. I work for a Fortune 100 company and before we let anyone manage employees they must complete a 3 day course on how to manage Millennial’s. In general (not all) they have an attitude of “I deserve this”, “I shouldn’t need to wait or earn it anything”, and heaven forbid if something goes wrong, they cannot handle the general stresses of the day. In addition, they have no sense of boundaries or loyalty to anyone or anything and we have found their work ethic sorely lacking. Again, not a judgment on all but at least my experience would tell me Steve’s assessment is accurate.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I’m tired of old geezers who don’t know how to use modern technology and don’t want to adapt, therefore making it harder on everyone else in the office because they want whatever done the same way it was always done before.

• Realme
      11:28 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know how much of the generation is like that, but there certainly are lots of them that fit the stereotype. I don’t remember what I was watching recently, but there was a panel discussing how some of that generation melts down when things don’t go their way, and 2 of them with mid-teenagers said the generation behind the millennials kind of thinks they’re ridiculous.

• J-Dub421
      11:54 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

After this call, I rest my case. Slow talking and rambling nonsense.

16. kycats13
    11:27 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

That Blue Apron offer is not free, it is $30 off an order.

17. J-Dub421
    11:31 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

I kind of like the Patriots because, as a UK fan, I appreciate a good dynasty. Getting to the top is hard, staying there is harder.

• I had to say “guy” because the real word from the episode was moderated. Yeesh.

• J-Dub421
      11:43 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Ouch. I definitely would not want any kind of spice in my eyes. I made fajitas for dinner last night and got some juice from the jalapenos I chopped under my fingernails which didn’t stop burning until after I showered this morning…

• Realme
      11:44 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Ha ha. At least n a z i is a word that we can understand why it’s on the moderation list. You usually can’t even figure out what triggered it.

• J-Dub, my mom maced us the first time she put fresh home grown jalapenos in the blender to make homemade taco sauce! I got home from school and opened the door, and my eyes started stinging and I said “What’s going on?” She told me what she had just done. Needless to say, she always did them on the carport after that! lol

• J-Dub421
      11:57 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

My friend’s dad grows his own peppers (habaneros, ghost chilli’s, etc.) and threw a bunch of them into a food processor (seeds and all) and made what we now refer to as “death paste.” I have no idea what he thinks anyone would use it for, but I’m surprised it doesn’t burn through the glass jar.

• Yeah, you see stuff like that being eaten on “Man vs. Food” and shows like that. I like spicy food, but that’s just nuts. I like to say I like it Tabasco hot, not habanero hot (and certainly NOT ghost chili hot!).

18. CatFanDu
    11:42 am January 23, 2017 Permalink

Who ARE these Ashley Judd supporters? That was just nuts…

19. Wow! Sing it Marlena.

20. Is this guy awake?