Start Your Gameday with KSR (Tuesday Show Thread)

Turn up your radio, it’s time for Kentucky Sports Radio.  Before Ben Howland’s Bulldogs take an L to the Kentucky Wildcats, the KSR crew will get you prepared for tonight’s game.  Start your gameday the right way, with two hours of entertainment from 10-noon.  I can’t promise a lot of X’s and O’s but I can promise two hours of enjoyable radio.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

69 Comments for Start Your Gameday with KSR (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    9:53 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Did you see the pic of Marques Bolden in the earlier thread? Not a happy camper; don’t know what’s going on at Duke; but….something.

• Realme
      10:05 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

What does his draft stock look like? Doesn’t sound like he’s off the bench very much, but I don’t actually watch them play.

• Boy, I hate to too much of the “What if” thing, but what if we had gotten Bolden and he and Bam were a 1-2 punch similar to KAT & WCS? We don’t know for sure if Bolden would have done any better here, though. SKJ hasn’t been what a lot of folks thought.

• To do too much…

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Looked his draft status up….looks like mid first round; so maybe that’s it….or something else.

• J-Dub421
      11:36 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Bolden only plays a few minutes per game and is averaging 2.6 points per game. Just FYI.

• Realme
      11:43 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

I guess we’ll never know if it’s his own fault for not working or K’s for not developing him, but I agree with comment 12i below, K’s clearly second best at handling elite players, and it’s not a close second.

2. Realme
    10:12 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

I get angry when espn takes us away from our game when it’s in progress, to show us things they could show us at half time.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:14 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

The last two years of Tubby, combined with the BCG years, resulted in a LOT of anger for me. I used to pump iron in my basement with the games on to vent some of that anger, and I have to say I was getting pretty buff by the time BCG was out of there. Now I’m fat and happy with Cal leading the Cats. 🙂

4. I’m still here Show Threaders! Light fixture installed and no electrocution. LOL!

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Congratulations; what are you doing tomorrow….I need my garage door opener fixed.

• RealCatsFan
      10:23 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

cg, glad to see that you avoided the home perm job, and that the doorbell doesn’t ring when you hit the light switch! 🙂

• I charge $200 an hour! 😉

When I was finished my wife said “Your next project is installing a light kit in that ceiling fan there” (in our living room). I didn’t realize until recently that you could do that without replacing the whole fan, so we’ll see how that goes.

• RCF, and that I don’t get radio signals in my fillings like Gilligan.

• runningunnin.454
      10:32 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

I can pick up HBO on mine; but, the picture’s fuzzy.

• RealCatsFan
      10:33 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

cg, you will need a three-conductor wire like they use for two-way light switches to install a light kit if it is not already there. That is, if you want to be able to turn the light on with a light switch independently of the fan. If it has a two wire conductor, you can install one of the little transmitters like this:

• RealCatsFan
      10:34 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

rg.454: “I can pick up HBO on mine; but, the picture’s fuzzy.”

rg, sounds like you need to brush those back filling better.

• Laker Cat 18
      10:39 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

CG is the official KSR handyman.

• runningunnin.454
      10:40 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

I brushed with bon ami…..didn’t help.

• Thanks for the tip RCF! I’ll admit I haven’t given any thought to having to install a switch.

What I REALLY wish I know how to do is install a vent fan in my bathroom (especially one with a built in heater for cold mornings). I’ve Googled it and it looks WAY complicated compared to what I did yesterday. Any tips on that?

• J-Dub421
      10:50 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Glad you’re still alive!

• RealCatsFan
      10:56 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

The bathroom vent fan will probably involve a trip into the attic (if you have access there) to run the wiring for the fan. For the heater, you will have to make sure that you have a circuit that has heavy enough wire (14 gauge or better) and a breaker (probably 20 amps) to support the extra current to run the heater. Those electric heaters are resistance heaters, and it can take a lot of juice to make that heat. Then you will have to run the wire down the wall and install the box for the switch. You are getting into an area that might involve pulling a permit for the electrical work if you want to dot all the i’s and cross all the t’s.

You might be able to go with a battery operated fan like this if all you want is some ventillation. You will still have to route the exhaust hose to an opening outside (usually in the soffit or eaves).

• I wish I was that good of a handyman, Laker Cat. I could save us a heck of a lot of money if I was.

I have found out that YouTube videos help a TON! There are a lot of home improvement blogs, forums, etc., where you can ask questions, but there’s nothing like watching someone do the task. Also, it helps to watch several videos because one person covers something another one doesn’t, and also, some are generic and not specific. For example, one (from Home Depot I think) was generically about ceiling mounted light fixtures, but I watched several where electricians installed a flush mount just like I put up, and they were more helpful.

• Oh, and thanks for the laughs 454! (thumbs up emoji here if WordPress would allow for that)

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

When I bought my first house (a fixer-upper), I was lucky enough to have an older gentleman next door who was a retired contractor and code inspector. He had every tool known to mankind in his garage, and if he didn’t have a tool he needed he would invent and make one himself. I learned a LOT from him! Paul was a salt of the earth kind of guy that you could talk to for hours, and best of all he was a big Cats fan. I miss my old neighbors from back then.

• Wow, when neighbors were really neighbors. Paul sounds like an awesome guy, and inventing tools sounds like McGyver!

5. Stephen
    10:18 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Somehow I’ve missed it, who’s the guest?

• Realme
      10:22 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Missed it too, but sounds like Larry Vaught.

6. secrick
    10:29 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Listen to Freddie yesterday on Tom’s radio show. He is kind of fired up about this years football recruits . Sound like the best ever by Stoops and maybe anyone in my time as a football fan.

7. RealCatsFan
    10:38 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Who are we talking about on SNL?

• RealCatsFan
      10:49 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Anybody? They were playing a song by an artist who is apparently from Kentucky, but I was distracted by work (again) and didn’t hear who it was.

• Realme
      10:50 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Sturgil Simpson.

• They said his name but I’ve never heard of him.

• J-Dub421
      10:51 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Sorry, I missed it too.

• RealCatsFan
      10:57 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Thanks Realme. Might have to google him.

8. We won a bunch of SEC tourneys at the GA Dome. One of the best memories is Antoine Walker’s coming out party in the big comeback v. Arkansas in 95.

9. I missed something along the way. Why does Matt keep talking about the Winnipeg Jets? Winnipeg is where my wife is from.

• J-Dub421
      10:49 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Something to do with them going on a losing streak after Brock Lesner stepped on their logo.

• Realme
      10:52 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Yep. They’re apparently superstitious about their logo, and he’s the first person to ever walk on it (he didn’t know it was a thing).

• Realme
      10:55 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

It’s on the floor in their locker room.

• Maybe someone stepped on the Thrashers logo in ATL and that’s why they had to move.

10. RealCatsFan
    11:19 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

That Mike Davis incident during the IU/UK game was one of the funniest things I have ever seen during a basketball game. I remember watching the play unfold, then all of the sudden you see these black dress shoes in the top of the frame. The dude truly came unhinged that game. Davis truly hated UK and hated to lose to us.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, he completely lost his mind in that game.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:49 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

I recall screaming at Davis through the tv at a bar to get off the floor. I was livid and quite inebriated…not proud of my reaction in public but history has shown I was not alone in my ire.

11. Realme
    11:23 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Uh hello, red white and blue.

• Realme
      11:26 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

So what was the Colonels mascot? Was it a chicken (a la KFC), and if not, can it be now?

• runningunnin.454
      11:35 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

The mascot was a dog “Ziggy”; the logo was the dog chasing a Hillbilly dribbling the ball.

• Realme
      11:41 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

I’d like to bring back the Colonels and the colors, but not the dog then I guess,

• I don’t see why it would be a problem to have red, white, and blue. Maybe I’m wrong since UK-UL wasn’t a thing back in the day.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

A chicken would not be good – shades of South Carolina.

• Realme
      11:44 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Not a fighting Rooster, more of a fluffy, friendly chicken, lol.

• runningunnin.454
      11:46 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Do you all remember the ball itself was red, white, and blue?
      The ABA also had the 3 point shot before the NBA. The Colonels won more games than any other franchise; but did not go to the NBA like the Pacers.

• J-Dub421
      11:47 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Foghorn Leghorn! Just need to get Warner Brothers on board.

• Realme
      11:48 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

How about a bald eagle?

12. Catsby95
    11:25 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Does Duke’s struggles prove that Coach Cal is a better molder of talent than Coach K or is it a fluke ala Kentucky and the Harrison Twins struggles in 2014?

• runningunnin.454
      11:27 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

I would go with the former; Check out KAT’s stats compared to Jahlil Okafor….roughly double the points and rebounds.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Cal will push a kid out of his comfort zone to make him develop a part of his game so he can succeed in the NBA. Sometimes that might be to the detriment of the team itself – as an example, even though KAT came to UK with a good 3-point stroke and the ability to slash to the basket, Cal made him play back-to-the-basket to develop as a center. K will do whatever it takes to forward his own chances to win, which includes holding a kid back who is probably good enough to go pro.

• J-Dub421
      11:51 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Cal is clearly better at developing players. Look at how many of our guys are doing well in the NBA (all-star teams, starters on their teams, playing significant minutes and giving significant contributions, etc.) vs. Duke’s players. Duke gets the same amount of talent that we do, but UK has way more in the NBA (fewer wash out), and our guys play better. There is a big enough sample size to back this up.

13. I forgot to mention: the Kenny Walker/Malik Monk film room thing yesterday was GREAT!

• Realme
      11:45 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Gonna watch that as soon as I get a chance.

14. secrick
    11:47 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

This has nothing to do with nothing but i watched Secretariat last night and watched the real thing again today on you tube. It’s the greatest sporting event i have ever watched.If you want to feel good or get fired up just watch it. Sorry for the post.

• RealCatsFan
      12:52 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

No need to apologize – that is a great movie. If you don’t get emotional when they show the crowd singing “My Old Kentucky Home”, you are not a true Kentuckian. Chills.

15. J-Dub421
    11:56 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

Ugh, who could actually sit through Captain Suntan’s show??? It’s terrible.

• CATandMONKEY
      1:51 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

You write as if you have actually tuned in. I must hope that it was accidental. 😀

• J-Dub421
      3:32 pm January 17, 2017 Permalink

I’ve stumbled upon it in the afternoon once or twice, and didn’t make it more than a minute or two either time. I made myself listen for a few minutes just to see if it was as terrible as Matt always says it is. It was worse.