Start the week right with KSR (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap the weekend’s happenings, including the football team’s win over Missouri and the basketball team’s Pro Day, and look ahead to a big weekend for basketball.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

73 Comments for Start the week right with KSR (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:01 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I’ve been begging for Lynn Bowden in the open field….what took so long?
    Now call me Oliver Twist….”Please, sir, I want some more”.

• Realme
      10:17 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I love him.

10:47 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Remember that Bowden was late getting on campus and missed all early practices. They just needed a little time to get him caught up with learning the offense. Boy is he exciting though.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:13 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Officially Team Bowden.

• runningunnin.454
      1:43 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

Yep, he was late; but, he has big play talent that can’t be coached. He can catch in the slot, and make defenders miss.

2. Realme
    10:12 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Don’t think I’ve ever felt the need for a bye week as a fan, but I can use a break from all these too close games. Saw on here yesterday that it was the 6 year anniversary of being beat by South Carolina by 51 points, so even though this isn’t fun to watch, it’s a lot better than it could be. Can’t believe the regular season is already half over.

10:48 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

We need the bye week badly to get guys healthy again.

3. I just tuned in. Have they talked about the fumble that Josh Allen forced that helped seal the game? 🙂

Seriously, it turns out apparently that would not have been an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty like I thought it might (based on a post from yesterday, they would have just reset the clock). However, I still wonder if we should criticize the Jake Bentley flop too much if we defend the ball punch. I tweeted that yesterday to Sunday Morning Sports talk (no church due to Nate coming through…everything turned out to be fine), and Anthony White said VOCIFEROUSLY

• OOPS…clicked “Post” accidentally. White said it is in NO WAY the same thing. He said the ball punch is just doing what you have to do to win (or something like that) and that flopping is (again, I don’t remember his exact words) like faking or cheating or whatever.

Will Muschamp disagrees that there is a difference though. Either way, I’m glad we won! Too close for comfort again.

• Realme
      10:28 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I agree with Anthony. Also, the SEC country podcast guys said it would have been a delay of game penalty if he’d been caught.

• I meant to add delay of game to that. However, the post yesterday quoted a release from the SEC that said the clock should have been reset but the refs didn’t see the ball punch. It didn’t mention a penalty at all.

10:53 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

It was probably unsportsmanlike, but I’ll take it anyway. We have been on the receiving end of similar things a bajillion times. We were owed one. Also, the receiver who was whining and called Allen out needs to shut it. Dude could have run after the ball and gotten it back to the official faster. He didn’t. He just let the ball bounce away and went back to the huddle while the ref went to go get it.

4. Realme
    10:22 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Where do you guys fall on these 2 issues?

1. Not going for it on 4th and 2 on that last field goal (I say you should have taken the chance to put the game away. A Missouri TD would have beat us with or without the 3 points, and a Missouri field goal would only have tied it, IF we failed to score).

2. The end of game shenanigans. Sounds like Allen got away with one that could have been bad, but thankfully he was pretty stealthy. And the refs mismanaged a clock in our favor for once. I can’t feel bad about that.

• I think Matt said in the post game that if he was Mizzou he would have been more angry at the refs for lolly gagging so much in spotting the ball.

As one comment said yesterday, I remember a UGA game where players were laying on Tim Couch, not getting up and making the clock run out when we had a chance to win.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

First and goal inside the five…you’ve got to take that in…once again, too conservative; maybe Dean Hood should be calling some plays.
      On the Allen strip…not a foul if it’s not called…ask De’Aaron about the mugging in the UNC game.

• But it is a foul if the Rooferee is officiating. Just ask Shabazz Napier.

• I have forgotten about the Napier flop until I saw it referred to in the comments here recently. I looked it up, and man, it was RIGHT IN FRONT of Higgins and he bit on it. That is a case where, even if Higgins truly thought it was a foul, another ref who saw it from behind (if one did) should have stepped in. The way Napier threw his arm back like he was put in a chicken wing. Ugh.

• Had forgotten…typos galore by gettelfinger today…

• Realme
      10:55 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I’ll never understand why officials don’t stop each other when one is making an obviously bad call.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:24 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Sadly, if we decided to go for it, it would have been the wilcat formation starting the drive six yards behind the line of scrimmage.

We DID have the fake and a few plays that showed some cajones. Pretty balanced play selection also.

Offense and special teams were both entertaining.
      Defense ? Hopefully the bye week proves helpful.

Stressful but good win!

Special teams:
    Punt – B+
    Punt R – B
    FG – A
    KO – A
    KOR – A

What do you think? too harsh? too easy? gave it about 2 minutes of consideration.

• Realme
      10:33 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Better grade for the o line than d line? They’ve been a train wreck a lot of the time.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

QB play was A+…led the offense flawlessly. Correct on the DB’s…snoozed the entire game.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Did you see SJ hurdle the tackler? …Lamar who?

• Realme
      10:39 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Shouldn’t SJ be getting more credit from outside of UK media?

• BluKudzu
      10:41 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

O line gave up 15 sacks (I think) thus far. D line has gotten how many?
      Curious to know…

• ClutchCargo
      10:43 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I’d switch the grades for OL and DL. Otherwise, looks fine.

• You know, I really haven’t like anyone calling SJ a game manager, or saying “All he does is win”. Quite frankly, whenever I hear those phrases, I just think “LOSER!”

I believe SJ is MUCH more than either of those first 2 designations. He has a lot more ability than, IMO, QB’s who are typically called game managers. He just lacks size like Doug Williams said. Just my 2 cents.

• “Don’t like”, not haven’t like…

• I should explain what I meant by “Loser”. When I hear a QB defended by an analyst, etc., as a “game manager” with “All he does is win”, it seems to me that the team is generally, or certainly often, winning in spite of the QB, not because of. I don’t think that is the case at all with UK. SJ is the real deal!

BTW, Trent Dilfer was called a GM when the Ravens won the Super Bowl, but I think that was mostly because he didn’t turn the ball over.

• Realme
      11:21 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Yes, they seem to give flashy QB’s too much credit for their teams success, and the quietly strong Stephen Johnsons of the world don’t get enough.

11:26 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Others can go ahead and fawn over the Lamar Jackson’s of the world. I’ll stick with SJ. He wins and our record is better than U of L’s.

• ClutchCargo
      11:39 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Lamar Jackson = Michael Vick. Excellent athlete and great stats, but no leadership and doesn’t make his teammates better.

11:46 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I’ve watched a fair amount of U of L games with my husband, and I would classify Lamar Jackson’s decision making as questionable.

6. Realme
    10:39 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Sounds like Drake is coming along well, and could become the leader this o line needs. Also, I hope we get Jordan Jones back next game. He’s a big confidence builder.

7. BluKudzu
    10:42 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Drake should have been in there sooner, I think.

10:59 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I started calling for Drake Jackson by the second game. High snaps were a chronic problem through the first 4 games. Once they put Drake in the problem has magically gone away.

• BluKudzu
      12:08 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

I have to admit I was disappointed he was not in the serious consideration for rotation at the start of the season. 5 star, freshman redshirt, should have been in the game from day one, or at least I thought.

8. secrick
    10:43 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Went to the game ,never seen so many players get hurt in one game. Hope they are ok and ready to go in 2 weeks.

9. secrick
    10:45 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Does anyone know if Ross and Richardson # 11 and 19 are freshman.

• Realme
      10:52 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Richardson is classed as a sophomore, and Ross a junior, on this roster I saved on my phone, but that sounds weird. Maybe it’s wrong.

11:02 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Ross is a senior. He’s a juco transfer. Richardson is a sophomore.

• secrick
      11:07 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Thanks , Didn’t remember Ross playing last year. He is pretty darn good. We are 5 and 1 and that’s pretty darn good to.

11:22 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Ross played a little last year, but he’s made a big jump forward this season.

10. BluKudzu
    10:47 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

@RG454, I thought A then decided B+ for one reason only, and I know this is more about coaching and line play, than anything, but there are too many sacks when the ball should be thrown away. (15, and not all of them gave him time to make a throw).
    I think he is the real deal. I would not want any other QB. Dude has an attitude, and I like it.

11. Realme
    11:18 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Does anyone else already worry about SJ being gone next year?

11:24 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Yes. SJ is a good leader. His unflappable calm and competitive nature rubs off on the rest of the team.

• secrick
      11:26 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Nope, To early for that. Just worrying if we are going to make a bowl right now.

• RealCatsFan
      11:29 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I would feel better about it if we could have blown out some of our cupcakes so that another QB could get in there and get some game reps.

J-Dub, agree – SJ is a natural leader. A good leader is someone who not only stays calm under pressure, but inspires the rest of the team to bring their best effort.

• ClutchCargo
      11:32 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I think the returning QB’s have potential to be pretty good. I’m really not counting on Barker to ever pan out, so it’s kind of like starting from scratch, and I do worry a little about that.

11:34 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I’m waiting to get Jarren Williams next year.

12. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Three Musketeers is my favorite candy bar – don’t diss them! Nestle’s Crunch is my second favorite.

• Realme
      11:29 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Don’t know why they’re hating on the 3 Musketeers. My favorite is a new one. Hershey’s caramel cookie crunch. Y’all should try it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

My daughters made up these chocolate balls this weekend that consisted of Oreo Cookies that they mash up and mix with creme cheese. They then melt up mild or dark chocolate, pour it over them, and put them in the freezer. I absolutely gorged myself on those danged things over the weekend, and my arteries will never be the same.

11:33 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I like pretty much any chocolate. Three Musketeers isn’t my favorite, but I certainly wouldn’t turn one down if offered and would enjoy it.

• Realme
      11:34 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I am Homer Simpson drooling right now.

• ClutchCargo
      11:41 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Hershey’s Special Dark or Payday. Pass on literally every other candy bar.

11:44 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

I’ll eat darned near anything if you cover it in chocolate (within reason).

• runningunnin.454
      4:06 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

I think you can get chocolate covered grasshoppers.

13. RealCatsFan
    11:36 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Deadeye Dick for the one-hit-wonder win.

14. Realme
    11:39 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Put your pencils down and stop typing. All ears on Chester for our football fire up.

15. J-Dub421
    11:42 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Blake Bone has finally become the receiver I’ve been waiting for him to be for four years. It’s exciting. Ross has been solid in his production. Garrett Johnson doesn’t get nearly enough credit for being as good as he is. Juice has been one of our most solid and productive receivers for four years. Bowden and Richardson look great and I am not worried about our future receiving corps.

• Realme
      11:44 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Happy for Bone, and for how nicely the ball is being spread around. Except not enough Conrad.

11:52 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

We do need more Conrad.

I am a little concerned that we could get decimated by junior departures for the NFL on the defensive side. Juniors on defense who could be gone after this season: Mike Edwards (very likely gone), Josh Allen, Denzil Ware, Jordan Jones, Adrian Middleton, Baity, and Westry. That’s not even counting seniors that we know will be gone like Elam, Pringle, etc.

• Realme
      11:54 am October 9, 2017 Permalink

Yikes. Looks scary when you list them all together like that.

12:00 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

Almost all of our best defensive players are juniors. I’m just hoping they don’t ALL go.

• BluKudzu
      12:50 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

I think there is a lot of competition in the Senior and Junior ranks from all the other teams that will flood the draft defensively. I hope the Juniors really give it a fair evaluation, because I would hate for them to end up like Boom. He was a serious ground pounding talent, that should have made a roster, and did not, at least as far as I know, in the NFL.

16. secrick
    12:04 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

Conrad should have caught that great pass from Snell .

• runningunnin.454
      1:45 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

Didn’t the defender get there the same time as the ball….that was a tough catch

• secrick
      1:49 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

Yeah i said great pass but it was awful really.

• runningunnin.454
      4:04 pm October 9, 2017 Permalink

Just a good play by the defense, mostly.