Start the week off right with KSR (Monday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Monday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, Matt, Ryan, Drew, and Shannon will break down the news of the weekend, including Hamidou Diallo’s announcement last night that he will test the waters of the NBA Draft. A lot of people are overreacting to something they probably should have expected, so tune in to hear the crew’s take on it.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

44 Comments for Start the week off right with KSR (Monday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    9:58 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Not surprised Diallo declared, also not surprised some BBN freaked out. I don’t blame him, think he definitely should go through the process. I am a little disappointed that his announcement sounded a lot more like “I’m trying to go” than “I’m getting feedback and experience”, but I’m not entitled enough to think he somehow owes it to me to stay here if he can go.

• ukjaybrat
      10:04 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

he’d be silly not to enter. i don’t care what language he used. if he goes, he goes. great for him. if he comes back, he will have some idea what skills he needs to work on before he goes back for the real deal next year.

• J-Dub421
      10:08 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

He’d be foolish not to test the waters and get feedback. Also anyone who says they wouldn’t go to the NBA (or wouldn’t let their kid go to the NBA if they were talented enough), and says they would turn down a chance at millions of dollars is a liar.

2. BigBlueMeade
    10:02 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Checked Bleacher Report’s Mock Draft that was released earlier today, and Bam and Diallo are not included. Then again BR isn’t a major mock draft service so do with that what you will.

• Realme
      10:05 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

We’ll know in a month or less, one way or the other.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:08 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

It’s fun to speculate, but waiting is the only way we know who is on the team…and even then it doesn’t tell who actually gets PT.

3. Realme
    10:20 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Any talented player that wants to “use” UK, instead of going to Duke, Louisville, or Indiana is welcome to do so, imo. They can afford some meals and tuition, and Complaining BBN can afford to get over itself.

4. ukjaybrat
    10:26 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Bam gone? Can’t say i’m surprised. It sucks he didn’t get the chance to tour the state and get some summer money. But realistically, what is missing from his game is a 3pt shot. and he isn’t really going to get very many opportunities to work on that in Cal’s system imo. So staying a yeard going in next yearwon’t help him much.

• J-Dub421
      10:31 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

His mid-range jump shot did improve later in the season. So further improvement from range is possible.

• ukjaybrat
      10:39 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

possible. but imo unlikely. look at cousins. he was a pretty decent shooter. but cal didn’t want him doing anything but dunking the ball;. the same message he sent bam all year. so even if bam could or should be shooting, it’s not what cal wanted him doing last year. can’t imagine it would change at all for him next year given the fact that we still don’t know if bamba is coming or not. one could argue if bamba comes, bam will play the 4. but that’s still just guessing and hoping that cal will put him in that position. if he goes to the nba now, whoever drafts him can definitely work on his shot.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Oh, I didn’t mean he should necessarily stay here to improve his shot. Mine was just a general observation that his shot will likely improve over time. Bam has a good work ethic.

5. Stuck on Blue
    10:27 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

The selfishness of some of our fan base amazes me. The hell with your future, stay in college and entertain ME. SMH. I’m sure if it was their kid/grandkid, they would be singing a much different tune.

6. J-Dub421
    10:28 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

There are a bunch of selfish little snowflakes in our fanbase who think these players owe them something when they don’t. Get over yourselves.

• Sentient Third Eye
      10:31 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Correct. These kids have their own lives beyond existing merely for the entertainment of basketball fans.

• ukjaybrat
      10:40 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

I hate to label people, but really the ones complaining either don’t know what they ‘re talking about, or they’re just selfish idiots. There really is no other way to put it. sorry not sorry

• Realme
      10:47 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

As I’ve mentioned before, I work with several of them, and they absolutely are selfish idiots. Good people in other aspects, but full of absurd takes on the state of UK BB. There is not anything Cal could do that they wouldn’t find a reason to complain about.

7. J-Dub421
    10:33 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

If Diallo had played this season, he would have taken minutes from Hawkins and/or Willis. Then our fans would have freaked out.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:33 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

It really doesn’t matter to me if Diallo stays in the draft or not; his life, his decision. I’m going to support our Coach and our team.
    Like Gene Hackman told the students in “Hoosiers” in a somewhat similar situation…”THIS IS YOUR TEAM”.

9. Laker Cat 18
    10:36 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

I don’t understand the frustration with the Diallo situation. Helping kids and winning ball games. That’s who we are. Folks are only upset because he’s supposedly really good. If it were Skal or SKJ, folks would be pushing him out the door to open another spot.

10. bjaynelson
    10:36 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

What is the reason dialllo didn’t go to college after his high school season. I think he is absolutely doing the right thing by testing his draft stock.

11. JoeMoney333
    10:42 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

That caller makes a fantastic point. Not just about basketball but the entire institution of college these days. Trade fields are quite undervalued in America.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Very true. Also, as someone who has helped with the hiring process in office environments, a lot of employers insist on people have college degrees for jobs that they really don’t need them for. If you work in any type of office anymore, you must have a degree in order to even get your foot in the door.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

*having

12. Laker Cat 18
    10:42 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Suzanne sounds like she has started early this morning.

13. knowitall
    10:48 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Kentucky fans absolutely amaze me and I am one and have been since birth. You could not satisfy us if given God-like abilities to please people. When Tubby was here we were mad because he couldn’t recruit. We said “hey the man can coach his butt off but he can’t get the players”. So we ran him off. Now comes Calipari and we say” hey the guy can recruit but he can’t coach, should have won more titles”. Now it is, we need more 3 and 4 year players. Are you kidding me? You really want to turn down more talented players for less talented ones because they might stay longer? Suffer through 2 or 3 years of 23 wins and a second round exit so we might have a good year every four years? People honestly think Kentucky fans would be ok with that? We Kentucky fans are absolutely crazy when it comes to expectations. If a kid wants to go pro then he should if not then stick around. Who would turn down a few million dollars if offered to them? No one. If you say you would you are a liar.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      10:55 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

There are too many “fans” that think because they can run a team on a video game on the easy setting they know how to find the perfect balance and win the championship every year. They don’t live in reality and don’t realize how good we have had it for the past few years.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:02 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Patrick Patterson currently wears over $2000 in apparel when he goes out into public. (Which to me is crazy.) We complain about paying $40 for a pair of Levi’s. My point is simple. It’s not all about the money, but the money sure does make folks lives’ easier. We all strive to make more of it. Why blame a young adult for accepting a promotion? No one blames us for asking for a raise in our daily jobs.

14. JoeMoney333
    10:59 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

The biggest difference is that when Rex went pro there wasn’t the internet so you didn’t hear all these people.

15. CATandMONKEY
    11:02 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Anyone who prefers less talented players is either disingenuous or pathologically obtuse. I have listed previously, eight players on the 2016-2017 team who were at least occasional contributors or starters and NOT one-and-done nor walk-on “victory cigars.” The majority of the Roster is NOT one-and-done.

16. CatFan5388
    11:04 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

My problem with the roster turnover is not with the lottery pick players leaving early. That is the smart thing to do. I dont understand the 2 rounders that decide to leave UK early or the guys that are very late first round and could turn into lottery picks the next year.

• knowitall
      11:09 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Because they want to. They are not beholden to anyone but themselves. Its called free will to do what they choose. I don’t see anyone mad at non-athletes who drop out of college.

• RealCatsFan
      11:28 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

I think the big difference is that Cal does not to sway their decision either way. He gives them feedback and information, and let’s the players and their family make the decision themselves. I get the feeling that this is NOT the way certain other coaches do it – most notably, guys like Pitino, K, Williams, and Self. I think these coaches are more likely to try to talk these kids into coming back an extra year (or two) to help their own personal (and by translation, the team’s) situation. Sure, in some cases it might work out in the interest of the player too, but I am sure there are other kids (Trez Harrell, Grayson Allen, etc.) who should have gone. Of course, these coaches never seem to get any criticism if it doesn’t work out so well for these kids. Imagine if Cal talked one of these kids into coming back and he had a career ending injury? The tar and feathers would be coming out.

I will say that I will understand if Diallo stays in the draft, but on a personal fan level I will be disappointed. As a fan, I want the Cats to win as much as possible. But I have to ground my fandom in reality, and that can cause a certain level of cognitive dissonance.

17. Laker Cat 18
    11:04 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Podcast update. Sword & Scale is still at the top for me. It’s pulling away from the rest quickly. Trying to get into Crimetown as well. In the middle of Serial Season 2 at the moment too.

• Realme
      11:15 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Will look up Crimetown. I mentioned Last Podcast on the Left kind of late the other day. It’s a mixture of crime and supernatural topics and they balance the crime with plenty of humor. Outside of UK sports and true crime, I also recommend The Dollop (funny podcast about bizarre topics and strange people in history) and Judge John Hodgeman, a fake court show.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:39 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

I saw the Last Podcast on the Left, but haven’t had the guts put away the others and try it yet. I’ll look up the others as well!

18. Laker Cat 18
    11:05 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Now that Bam is allegedly gone, Mo Bamba come on down?

• J-Dub421
      11:12 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Fingers crossed.

19. knowitall
    11:13 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Where are all the people who are outraged about non-athlete students who drop out of school? Oh thats right, no one cares because they don’t play basketball. People these students whether athletes or not make choices. We all do, some people go all four years and never use the degree they went for. If you are not happy in school for whatever reason, or can leave and make money, then more power to you. Its called free will, people make choices, some good, some bad but they have the choice to do so.

• J-Dub421
      11:24 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Not to mention, when our players do come back, most of the time our fans crap all over them and talk about how much they suck. See Isaiah Briscoe and Aaron and Andrew Harrison.

20. Realme
    11:22 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

Ugh. Hearing her voice does not help me understand why LBB is a thing.

21. runningunnin.454
    11:23 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

That Memphis-San Antonio game was one of the best of the playoffs. Andrew contributed and certainly earned his salary. HUGE big time block…that was the game winning play.
    The Leonard-Conley shootout was very entertaining, too.

22. Laker Cat 18
    11:44 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

I’m going to wait another round or so before I start in on the NBA Playoffs. I’d be embarrassed to be the Celtics right now. I don’t think there’s a team in the East besides the Cavs who has even a remote shot to beat the Warriors or the Spurs in the Finals. Pulling for the Wizards though!

• runningunnin.454
      11:50 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

John Wall is certainly doing his part; but, at one point in the last game, he had 29 points, and the other 4 starters had 28…..can’t win that way; he’s got to have some help.

• Laker Cat 18
      11:54 am April 24, 2017 Permalink

I agree with that. Those performances can get you into the playoffs in the NBA, but it won’t advance you very far once you get there.