Start a short week right with KSR (Tuesday Show Thread)

Good morning, friends, and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Kentucky Sports Radio. Today, the gang will recap Kentucky’s win over Central Michigan, the rest of the happenings from the opening weekend of college football, and of course, discuss Rick Pitino’s new book. Tune in or miss out!

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

62 Comments for Start a short week right with KSR (Tuesday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Undefeated…
    Winning streak?

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:08 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

We are the champions, my friends, and we’ll keep on fighting till the end….

• ClutchCargo
      10:11 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Let’s hope. It seems like a long time since I was sitting in the stands of CWS as a freshman, watching us beat those Gators. Then I see the grainy video and it seems like it was a L-O-N-G time ago. Doh!

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:12 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

We shoulda got them last season, had them beat until we left the WR unguarded…..TWICE!

• Clutch, at least that win was in the color era!

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Florida has truly become the “Duke” of college football for me. There have been several games in the last 5 years that we could have easily won if a couple of breaks go our way. However, with Mullins at the helm, I am concerned that the gap between our programs is going to get wider and the chances of us ending the streak anytime soon will be going down. Hope I’m wrong.

• DrSayre
      12:46 pm September 4, 2018 Permalink

I agree RCF. We were like 1-8 against Mullen at Mississippi State, and we were probably lucky to get that win. He kinda has our number. Its too bad this year’s game isnt in Lexington or later in the season. I think it might be better for us if TT can settle in a little more being the starter.

2. Realme
    10:09 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

So at half time a big chunk of my Twitter timeline had decided Hoak was our guy. One even said that it is so obvious that Terry isn’t good enough, but is athletic so he should be moved to a different position. A real person actually said that.

• Iamheasyouarehe
      10:15 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

This will give a small percentage of our fanbase something to complain about, no matter which way it goes.

• runningunnin.454
      10:16 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

QB situation is worrisome; they will not have seen anything, or heard anything like the swamp.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

We have some of the dumbest football fans around.

• ClutchCargo
      10:18 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Definitely not the ideal place to play your second game ever as a SEC QB.

• Realme
      10:20 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

I thought we saw some promising things out of both guys, and just hope the Swamp experience doesn’t break them.

• I believe our only hope is that the Gators are still adjusting to Mullen’s system and have some requisite rust that will help us, but that’s almost certainly wishful thinking since our QB situation is in doubt. If the game was at “No more plastic bags” field that could be more of a factor I think.

3. RealCatsFan
    10:11 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Nothing like hearing Ryan reciting the police blog entries for his family after a holiday weekend. Yup, nothing redneck about that. 😉

4. Okay, my thought about the UF game: I will feel better if Jack Pilgrim writes a post flatly predicting a win like he did before the S. Carolina game last year. He was Nostradamus with that one. He said basically “Calm down BBN! We’re better than them and we ARE going to win!”

However, Jack is wrong in that we have no QB controversy. Granted, the coaches and players will handle it better than us fans, but there is no clear cut better player, right now, IMO. That may change Saturday, and I hope it does for the better for UK.

• Syntax fail. “Jack is wrong and we DO have a QB controversy.”

And, I should have added the word “hopefully” to “…the coaches & players will handle it better than us fans…”.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Look at Bama; how long can Saban justify playing Jalen Hurts?
      With Tagovailoa, they are really scary.

• Kernel Sanders
      10:23 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

I don’t fret so much about which QB is better. I worry whether either is good enough. We cannot win in the SEC without at least a threat of a passing game.

• You 2 both make good points.

• ClutchCargo
      10:25 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

I think these two are just different enough in their skillsets that they can both play and be effective, depending on the opposing teams’ strengths and weaknesses. We really need TT to settle in and be the guy, though.

5. Realme
    10:27 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Can we talk about Bowden? He’s supposed to be extremely special according to hype, but he never does anything that spectacular. Is that on him, are we using him wrong, is he not quite as good as his hype?

• runningunnin.454
      10:35 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Bowden wasn’t used much last year; basically, he’s still a rookie. I think he’s going to go for some big plays soon.

• ClutchCargo
      10:44 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Bowden was pretty handy in the Wildcat last season, but I don’t know how much sense it makes to use him there now.

6. Realme
    10:31 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

I was not thrilled to see Terry, Lynn and Bennie all fumble. Hopefully they got that out of their systems. Kudos to Benny for playing well so sick. I’d have been in bed all day if sickness had taken me to the hospital the night before.

• ClutchCargo
      10:33 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, that was really shocking and disappointing to see. I’m going to hope it was just first game jitters and that it won’t be an issue going forward.

• chief_cat
      11:21 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m not overly concerned about Benny’s fumble. Last year he carried the ball 262 times and caught 72 passes – over 330 possessions – and he only fumbled twice. I am much more concerned with the fumbles by Bowden and Wilson, along with the interceptions tossed by Wilson. It may be first game jitters, but we are stepping way up in competition starting this week. Let’s hope they get over any jitters and the coaches really get in their heads the importance of ball protection.

• runningunnin.454
      11:25 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Yep, need to work on mesh points; don’t want to see Benny and A.J. Trying to secure the ball on their hips.

7. runningunnin.454
    10:31 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

I watched several games over the weekend; and, now “targeting” is the key word…there were three players kicked out in our game.
    I’m all for safety; but, many of them didn’t look like “targeting”. And all weekend, only one was reversed on review.

• Realme
      10:36 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

I think it shouldn’t be an ejection unless the same player already has one on the season. It seems like they expect the player they call for targeting to have been psychic about how the other player was going to move sometimes. Westry’s move was stupid though.

• ClutchCargo
      10:38 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

There’s going to be a lot of long games (not just on CBS now) this season, I think.

8. runningunnin.454
    10:47 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Shout out to UL’s Petrino; he needed an edge against the Tide…F O U R penalties for 12 men on the field in the first half
    And people say, Stoops is poor at game management.

• Realme
      10:52 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Whoa. What was the final score? Last I saw it was 44-7 I think.

• ClutchCargo
      10:52 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

12 men on the field is bad, but some would argue that 10 is worse. Especially when you’re trying to beat a team for the first time in 30+ years.

• CATandMONKEY
      10:57 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Not gonna lie, the thought crossed my mind,while listening to the Game; is Stoops on the Uofl sideline?

• RealCatsFan
      11:04 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

A lot of the Louisville fans are not real happy with “Petrino 2.0”.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:18 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Honestly, watching the formerly over-confident Card fans in total DEFCON 1 mode is hilarious.

• ClutchCargo
      11:21 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

RCF, that’s why I kind of like that Petrino is there now. They will always be kind of good, but not great, and a large segment of the delusional fans will always think they deserve better.

• RealCatsFan
      11:27 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, a lot of the Card fans are already pining for Brohm to come save them. My hope is that Petrino 2.0 will win just enough for Tyra to keep him around while Brohm gets snapped up by a bigger program (hopefully outside of the SEC). I would love to see Brohm at UK, but I think the chances of that ever happening are just about zero.

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      12:07 pm September 4, 2018 Permalink

Well the thing is Petrino is proven and stoops is not.

9. Wade
    10:49 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

You see everyone talking about Saban for speaking to Maria Taylor in a certain manner after the game for asking the qb question… again!!! gonna ask over and maybe women on the sideline isn’t a good idea if there gonna get scared bc men raise there voice. This isn’t a checkers game. Accept Saban and keep Maria off the sidelines and in the news room.

• ClutchCargo
      10:53 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Did you even see the interview? She didn’t act scared or offended at all, and handled it very well.

• Wade
      11:50 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

She did but that’s her job, she doesn’t belong down there sorry if I’m too old school. Good for her though but if it was a guy down there we would have no storyline.

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      12:55 pm September 4, 2018 Permalink

Bullshit… men reporters are the biggest cry babies. #lovemywomen

• RealCatsFan
      11:03 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m pretty sure that Maria would know the difference between “there”, “their” and “they’re”. But English is hard sometimes.;) Saban was a little prickly about the question, and she let it roll off of her, but in the end I think it was blown way out of proportion.

• Wade
      11:51 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

English major huh, sorry I’m actaually from ky. Looked spelled that wrong too. Shit

• runningunnin.454
      11:10 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

He was obviously irritated at the question; but, he had better get used to it; they are a completely different team with Tua on the field.

• Saban is ALWAYS surly to the press. I made a lengthy comment below before seeing this thread.

• Booby Petrino
      12:26 pm September 4, 2018 Permalink

Please don’t say that you’re from KY and that’s why you can’t write worth a damn. Don’t put us all on your level, plenty of us actually have college degrees and can read and write. Besides the poor grammar, your opinion is backwoods too. She wasn’t scared, she handled it like a pro and she has every right to be on the sideline, as do women reporters who are hired for the job. Good lord you must be 65 years old.

• ClutchCargo
      1:57 pm September 4, 2018 Permalink

BP, you probably shouldn’t put all 65 year olds on Wade’s level, either. Just sayin’.

10. CATandMONKEY
    10:52 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

The hoplessness mixed with delusion on the Card Chronicle, after the game; delicious.

11. RealCatsFan
    10:54 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

“Puma Pass” sounds like a place you would visit in the Rocky Mountains.

• runningunnin.454
      10:58 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Actually, Puma looked pretty good; but, they have other serious problems.

12. Realme
    11:09 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Wonder if there will be so many lies in Pitino’s book that it ends up going the way of A Million Little Pieces (which was a scandal where a book was written as a memoir, but turned out to be fake).

• CATandMONKEY
      11:16 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

That seems like a for-gone conclusion.. .at least that it will contain so many lies.

How it is supported by some of Rick’s uber-faithful accolytes in the media may determine the trajectory of the book.

13. That’s what Matt doesn’t realize: Saban is NOT better than that. He’s a jerk to the press all the time. All you have to do is listen to his weekly press conferences. He’s an equal opportunity butthole. WJOX in Bham carries his press conferences live and I sometimes catch part of them when I’m on my way home for lunch.

14. runningunnin.454
    11:19 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed Virginia Tech smacking Fla State around. And, on their home field with their fans still doing that silly Tomahawk thing.

15. runningunnin.454
    11:35 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

On a basketball note, WKU’s Charles Bassey has been cleared by the NCAA.
    Also, a 4* guard and a power forward transfer from Auburn.
    Big noise from Bowling Green this season.

• RealCatsFan
      11:47 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

WKU ought to have a good team, but doesn’t it seem like Rick Stansbury has been playing fast and loose with the rules? Just seems like he goes after a lot of kids who are on the margin. I understand that at a smaller school like WKU you will have to do that to keep up with the big boys, but I think it might come back to bite him.

16. RealCatsFan
    11:45 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

Completely agree with Matt’s rant about the “upper crust” people looking down their noses at people who work for a living at lower level jobs. That kind of thing burns me up as well, and unfortunately, particularly in the political arena, you are seeing that attitude manifested even more.

17. runningunnin.454
    11:55 am September 4, 2018 Permalink

UK and Florida are basically the same teams as last year; only thing that worries me is the venue.