“Sports probably depend on people’s willingness to wear masks”

UKFootball | IG

UKFootball | IG

Want sports this fall? Wear a mask. That’s the message Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear delivered during his press conference today as coronavirus case numbers continue to surge nationwide.

“It’s pretty clear. All the experts agree. If we get a critical mass of people wearing masks, we continue to social distance and we remember it, we can get pretty close to our old normal. In fact, I think Dr. Gupta even said this morning that sports probably depend on people’s willingness to wear masks…We had one of the cable news doctors on today saying we could potentially have fans in the stands in major sports if we can get that critical mass wearing masks. That seems like a pretty good deal, I think, to most people that are out there.”

Kentucky’s statewide mask mandate began on Friday evening and, contrary to what social media may suggest, a new poll shows that an overwhelming majority of residents support it. Seventy-three percent of the 601 likely general election voters polled said they support requiring people to wear a mask in indoor places such as grocery stores, schools, retail stores, and certain outdoor places, such as mass gatherings, with only 23% opposed.

Beshear also showed a clip of U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams saying Americans can turn the tide in the fight against the virus in as little as two to three weeks if everyone wears a mask and continues to social distance.

“We can turn this thing around in two to three weeks if we can get a critical mass of people wearing face coverings, practicing at least six feet of social distancing, doing the things that we know are effective. It’s important for the American people to understand that when we’re talking about the fall, we have the capability to turn this around very quickly if people do the right thing.”

CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield echoed those remarks during a press briefing this afternoon (albeit with a longer time frame).

Save lives, save jobs, save schools, save sports. Wear a mask.

96 Comments for “Sports probably depend on people’s willingness to wear masks”

1. lexslamman
    5:00 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

The politicians and their public health employees have yet to be right about this virus.

• Han
      5:43 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Absolutely! Instead, we should all listen to the guy who looked directly at a solar eclipse and vaccine-denying, MLM scheme-pitching people on our Facebook feeds. They seem like they know more about health than people like Fauci who has devoted his entire professional life to the subject.

• PensacolaCat
      8:43 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

lol Fauci has been more wrong than right. I’m not sure who is more clueless, Fauci or Han.

• 4everUKBlue
      5:54 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

You should do comedy Han

2. CALfacts
    5:08 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

I wear a mask. Period! But the problem our governor has, he didn’t get in front of all the protests! Same for all other governors as well! Other than Florida, every other state that had mass protests is spiking! Amazing Niobe is reporting this!!!

• Bluebird
      6:04 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Uhhh, basically every state has had protests. And more spread has been documented coming from bars and parties.

3. PillsburyThrowboy
    5:14 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

If you think wearing a mask is needless, pointless, silly, “against my rights”, etc. then I question your common sense. It is very important that everyone wears a mask. If you don’t think so, look at South Carolina (where I live). Similar population to Kentucky yet covid is rampant down here. We were one of the last states to shutdown and one of the first to open. Our governor refuses to do a mask mandate. Yet we had 2,200+ cases on Saturday and we had a child die. My zip code has more cases than 112 KY counties. It’s INCREDIBLY selfish to not wear a mask. Not only does it affect sports, but it affects your local restaurants, stores, etc. Please wear a mask.

• michaelb
      6:52 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

They got you trained right : CASES CASES CASES . That’s what’s important here , case #s

4. Lip Man 1
    5:15 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

The morons who don’t think they’ll get sick, won’t wear them. Therefore don’t bitch, whine and moan when ALL sports is cancelled until maybe January.

Yes…looking at you morons.

5. T-Town Cat
    5:23 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

I don’t like wearing a mask and I like being told to wear one by a politician even less. Having said that, my Dad was asked to fight in the jungles of Burma for two years during World War II, and almost died of malaria. I’m being asked to wear a piece of cloth over my nose and mouth. I think I can handle that.

• Megan
      7:18 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Thank you. It’s a minor inconvenience. Sadly, 23 percent don’t have it within themselves to do something for the benefit of everyone. Add to that the absurdly high percentage who say they will refuse a vaccine, and we’re likely to suffer as a country for quite some time to come.

People, huh?

• T-Town Cat
      1:10 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

People are basically good, Megan. We’ve been through worse, and we’ll get through this.

• tdub
      8:33 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Agreed

6. Jambluehue99
    5:48 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

First it was 15 days to slow the spread and we practically shut down the country. Now it’s 2-3 weeks of wearing masks and we’ll have it licked. Or if we all wear them for 6 weeks it will be gone. First they said no masks. Now they say all masks all the time. Is it any wonder people question the information they are given about this virus. We tend to focus on cases and not death rates. We ignore the fact that the young are practically unaffected by this virus. We can’t mention that the deaths are mostly from nursing homes and elderly with health conditions. But who wants truth when you can feel like you are part of something and go along with the masses, regardless of facts.

• Megan
      7:36 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

We learn things over time. What might have been sound advice at one moment might not be sound advice after circumstances change or the evidence becomes clearer. That’s the way the world works, my friend. We learn and we adapt.

The WHO initially said there wasn’t enough medical evidence to support members of the public wearing a mask, unless they were sick or around people with the coronavirus. The widespread wearing of masks might lead to a mask shortage for medical workers and create a false sense of security in the public. Later, WHO advised that governments should encourage the general public to wear masks where there is widespread transmission and physical distancing is difficult, such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments. No doubt one factor was the increased availability of N95 masks and the fact that people could make less effective ones at home.

It doesn’t mean they don’t know what they’re talking about. And it doesn’t mean you should be so confused by it all that you don’t believe anything, even the most recent recommendations based on the information available to date. So try to keep up and adapt along with everyone else. Or would you rather just shake your fist at the clouds?

• Jambluehue99
      10:28 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

The WHO has been widely discredited and exposed as a result of how they handled the pandemic. Dr. Fauci has admitted he lied to the American public in the beginning, telling them masks were of no benefit so supplies would not be used up by the public. It’s not shaking a fist at a cloud, that’s reserved for deranged liberals. It’s called critical thinking and not taking at face value everything the mainstream media tells you. You may want to check into that. You may find yourself better informed.

• kjd
      8:13 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Make LESS EFFECTIVE masks at home. False sense of security. Your words. LOL

7. Hot Stuff Eddie Gilbert
    5:50 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

I love sports as much as everyone. I have season tickets to UK football and go to about 5 or 6 basketball games per year. But if it is going to turn into some political, woke, social justice BS, then I’m fine with no sports this year. I’ll miss my team and miss pro sports as well. But al least I won’t have to see and hear about all these political/look at me stands.

• Megan
      7:40 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

If it makes you feel any better, we won’t miss you one bit. Go enjoy your life without sports. Seriously, there are more important things in life, and certainly other entertainments you can pursue. Why put yourself through something that upsets you? It’d be crazy to keep banging your head against that wall.

8. kjd
    5:51 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Locking down the state for two months didn’t get rid of the virus.
    Where’s scientific data showing six weeks of porous, cloth face coverings will squash the virus?

• 4everUKBlue
      6:00 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

There is none. At this point I don’t even care about sports so I will not complain about no sports and I will not wear a mask, live in fear of someone getting too close to me or take the vaccine. There is plenty of info the msm is not sharing, but that would mean people would have to put forth some effort. I could share plenty, but very little chance any you would read it and if you did read it your minds would be made up it was BS because you didn’t see it on TV or in the newspaper.

• Bluebird
      6:08 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

We know, we know. You’re a big, brave boy.

• 4everUKBlue
      6:34 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Has nothing to do with bravery bluebird, it’s about common sense and looking at ALL evidence, something you don’t understand. I will not follow anyone because of their beliefs and neither should anyone else. I can see how seatbelt help and there is plenty of real science and stats to back it up, not hard to see, but the same cannot be said about wearing masks. “If everyone could wear a face covering over the next 6 weeks we could drive this (coronavirus) into the ground,” Really? That’s all it would take to kill the virus and it wouldn’t come back in the fall like Bill Gates and others have been predicting for months now? Doesn’t pass the smell test for me, but then I’m allowing msm to dictate what I should think and believe.

• Megan
      8:07 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Oh my god. 4ever is exactly the problem here. He’s the reason our country can’t get its sh*t together. Thanks so much for making all our lives more miserable than they had to be.

And thanks for raising your hand and identifying the kind of person you are. I don’t suppose you have the balls to give up your anonymity. Don’t bother rationalizing the answer we already expect. It’s purely rhetorical.

• PensacolaCat
      8:48 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

No, you’re the problem Megan and all you other sheep. You blindly follow anything that CNN and your stupid governor tells you despite there being no science behind their commands. What a dunce.

• Bluebird
      9:30 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

This guy’s a scientist! Look at the brain on him! How does he walk underneath that thing?

• PillsburyThrowboy
      10:56 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

I can’t believe what I’m reading. What did a 6 week shutdown do? Seriously? Imagine if KY didn’t shut down. Say goodbye to your parents/grandparents. I just can not believe people would rather rally behind some conspiracy theory than wear a mask. I’m glad you have great health, but everyone around you probably doesn’t have the same quality health. That means YOU could be spreading it to them and not even know it. You could be killing someone because YOU want to be so SELFISH and not wear a mask. Why? Because a governor with a D next to his name said you need one? Why is this so freaking political?! It’s science! Viruses spread easily! Wear a freaking mask!

• satcheluk
      10:37 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

9. bigblue98
    6:01 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

We only need to look at other countries and see how they have taken care of this. Does wearing a mask suck? Absolutely it does. Are we being asked to wear a mask all the time? No we’re not – only in certain instances. If we can limit the exposure in Kentucky and not have it turn into other states like Fl, Az, or Tx that is key. Serious question here – know this doesn’t affect majority of younger people, but what happens if your wife or kids get sick. They need to go to the hospital, but there aren’t any beds. Are you willing to see them die? I know we’re not there in Ky, but there are other states where that is dangerously close. Wait a week or two with outbreak in Fl and see. We are in a state that has handled pretty well, but this can get out of control fast. No one is taking away our rights – how is this any different than when a seat belt law passed.

10. 4everUKBlue
    6:26 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Problem > Reaction > Solution scenario.

1. Invent a problem – Terrorism, financial crisis, etc.

2. Fabricate a response that isn’t commensurate (even if the problem were real) but people will still go along with – Let the mainstream media only broadcast/print the side of the problem you want to show

3. Enforce a solution that also doesn’t make sense (even if the problem were real) but people will still comply with – wars, corporate tax-cuts, welfare budget cuts, etc.

Problem > Reaction > Solution scenarios date from at least the Roman emperor, Diocletian.

• JATR4
      6:57 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Get off KSR if you don’t care about sports!

• Jambluehue99
      7:22 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Why do you want to shut down debate just because someone has an opinion different than yours? Thats weak!

• PensacolaCat
      8:53 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Because JAT4 and Megan don’t believe in anything. As soon as they hear something they don’t like they cry racist and expect you to take your ball and go home. They don’t stand for anything.

• kjd
      8:16 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Matt Jones says all the time KSR is mire than just sports.

• satcheluk
      10:34 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

My Japanese wife and family, along with colleagues, friends and family who live around the world are laughing or stupefied about the US. I’ve been wearing masks when I’m sick ever since I moved to Japan in 2004 because it was polite and it allowed me come in to the office if I was sick without fever. It’s pretty simple, you wear a mask to protect others and to a lesser extent yourself. If you refuse you’re a selfish azz and your collective selfishness is causing this to continue for longer and worse than necessary. My wife and son will move back to Japan where it is safer, as soon as we are comfortable with the risk of flying. It may not bother you if your myopic world ends at the border, but we have lost our perch as world leader. It’s time to right the ship.

• Megan
      8:09 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

You ARE a sick puppy.

• 44stewart
      11:00 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Such a snowflake

• 44stewart
      11:01 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

4evertinfoilhat snowflake

11. michaelb
    6:49 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Pls stop regurgitating Andy beshear pls

12. JATR4
    6:56 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Why don’t you get off KSR if you don’t care about sports? Won’t miss you!

13. peaches76
    7:09 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

4ever is right about the msm…

• Megan
      8:12 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Men Seeking Men? I can see that.

• panicpat
      5:27 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Quit making this republican or Democrat. I, and many of my democrat friends refuse to wear a mask. So all you radical liberals, please quit lumping all democrats into your AOC Pelosi agenda. Not all democrats are lunatics

14. FatDaddyCat
    8:51 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Boo hoo! I want my Church open, but I won’t wear a mask while attending. Boo hoo, I want to go to the beach, but won’t wear a mask. Boo hoo, I want young athletes to endanger themselves and their families so I can sit in the stands and be entertained without a mask. I won’t believe anything, credible facts and info included, reported that doesn’t line up with my personal views on the WORLD WIDE PANDEMIC because that would infringe on my rights as an American citizen!!?!! Selfish bunch of A#%$%LES. Most of you ignorant Soap Box Orators are ugly as heck anyway, put the DAMN MASK ON and think of your fellow Americans for a change instead of spending all your time coming up with BS conspiracies and telling everyone else how right you are all the time. In short, be an ADULT!!!!

• PensacolaCat
      8:55 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Amazing, everything you just said was wrong.

• Bluehender
      9:38 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

I think everything be said was right on the money. Bingo..

• Bluehender
      9:38 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

He said..

• Bluehender
      9:40 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

I’ve seen some people who look better with the mask on…

• Ned T.
      3:52 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Democrats are evil and must be stopped.

• Bluehender
      9:54 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

No republicans are evil right Ned?..most people are good. Evil works it’s way into every nook and cranny. If you think all republicans are good all democrats are bad, you need to put the bong down

15. njcat
    10:20 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

This is so simple that there is no way the country can pull it off.

16. PillsburyThrowboy
    11:01 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Looks like Pensacola needs his brain checked. That mask must be weighing down on his head so much that he can’t think straight. It’s literally pathetic if someone won’t wear a mask. Hell, If you live in Pensacola, you should understand

• Bluehender
      9:57 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Something is weighing on his head…probably meth.

• PensacolaCat
      9:17 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

We have the most beautiful beaches in the world. Can’t complain. And who said I won’t wear a mask? I don’t mind wearing a mask, but I sure as heck don’t want my governor threatening to ticket me for walking out of my house w/o one. Look around, for the most part every large city run by a democrat is going to hell. Democrats want to seize people’s guns, censor ideas that are opposed to their’s, get rid of police, and raise my taxes. Please tell me why ANYBODY would vote for someone that would be in favor of these things? I truly want to understand.

17. Mad Max
    11:31 pm July 13, 2020 Permalink

Please don’t tell the retarded trump voters that pants are required by the government in public.

It could get ugly.

18. bigblue98
    12:42 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I have a legitimate question – President Trump 2 days ago wore a mask and direct quote said “I’m all for masks”. For those reluctant to wear a mask, do you feel the President is lying to you on this? His thoughts on masks have changed obviously. Would like to know your thoughts as to why.

19. Ned T.
    3:38 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Masks are pure tyranny by leftists mayors and governors. No, it is not settled science that they do a damn thing.

I will not wear the left’s political clothing.

20. BowdenQB4ever
    4:36 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Who cares what the cable news doctors have to say? Their opinions have been all over the place here, almost like they’re paid to talk and produce content instead of actually practicing medicine.

21. bigbluerexfan
    5:42 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Wear a damn mask. It isn’t that hard. I wear one for 11 hours a day at work. Stop being a baby and selfish. Our society is in trouble.

• Ned T.
      7:12 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Up yours. Society is in trouble because tyrannical Democrat mayors and governors are weaponizing health departments to force citizens to wear political clothing.

Every leftist virus prediction has been wildly wrong, and every democrat politician keeps moving the goalpost for political purposes. Disgusting, evil, and dangerous. Democrats are enemies of freedom.

I will NEVER wear a mask.

• 44stewart
      7:22 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

You should go out in public without clothes too. Stupid right wingers think the human body is evil.

• damage_control
      7:55 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

The mere fact that you think that there are leftist virus predictions shows how screwed up your brain is. Lay off RWNJ media and YouTube conspiracists for a few months. Maybe you can deprogrammed yourself.

22. BigBlueFoo42777
    6:17 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Not wearing a mask keep your sports.

23. RealCatsFan
    8:04 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Sigh. Not much point in wasting any keystrokes on this thread. Where’s my facepalm emoji?

24. DelrayCat
    8:13 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Just look at Japan. They have less than a thousand deaths and are 12 times more densely populated than USA. They have a much higher elderly population and never had a complete lockdown. How did they do it? Simple… Everyone wears a mask. History will be written for generations that Donald Trump killed tens of thousands with his stupidity and incompetence for promoting non-compliance on the masks.

25. Tej
    8:19 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

If Ned T, 4everUKBlue, and PensacolaCat really believe what they write, they are really scary. That they are part of a small minority is at least reassuring.

26. Grazilla
    8:22 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

I wasn’t for wearing masks during this whole thing until now. I work in a career that requires me to wear a mask all the time and have been trained on them. The size of these virus particles are smaller than the ability of a cloth or paper mask to filter them out. The real issue was with people’s hands. Most viruses are transferred from a surface, to your hands, and into your mouth or eyes. The purpose of a surgical mask is to catch large droplets of spit from the wearer. Now that we know that half or more of infected individuals are asymptomatic, it makes sense to have a blanket policy of wearing a mask. You can’t tell if you’re carrying and shedding the virus, so wearing the mask actually does help tamp it down and reduce transmission. The combination of hand sanitizing and masks definitely help. The thing that sucks is that the policy applies to 100% of the population, when this virus only drastically affects a handful. But if we don’t get cases slowing down, we won’t have football. And I think this year’s squad could be Stoops’ best.

• CALfacts
      9:02 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Grazilla, best comment of all on here! Thanks for truth, yes I’m wearing a mask!

27. zod
    9:00 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Tennessee and Kentucky recorded their first case of C-19 on the same day. Tennessee’s population is about 1/3 larger than Kentucky’s, but Tennessee has 3 times as many cases as Kentucky. Beshear is getting a lot of national credit for how he handled the pandemic. I haven’t lived in Kentucky for 25 years, so I’m not up on the finer points of the political scene there. But from the outside, Andy’s done a lot better than most southern governors. He may not be perfect, but he needs some props on his handling of C-19.

28. PensacolaCat
    9:03 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

There is NO evidence that masks prevent the spread of COVID-19. Mic drop. You can close the comments now.

29. lexslamman
    9:06 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

No to masks. No to shutdowns. No to tracing. No to testing. No to compulsory vaccinations. No to travel bans. No to cancelled seasons.

30. Ned T.
    9:29 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

The CDC is a political organization that lies and has been wildly wrong—in favor of the fascist left—in ALL of its virus predictions.

The CDC clearly run by Trump haters who will do and say anything to try to defeat him in November. If Trump wins, I hope we can toboggan those democrat turds into cities where police are defunded and let them police themselves.

• Bluehender
      10:02 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Put the bong down..

• blueNtheFace
      12:50 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Who made this political? Mr Trump! A virus doesn’t care who you are, how much money you have, or your “stature” in life. The sad fact of society now is that public opinion has now become fact. Why would the CDC try to mislead the world?

• PillsburyThrowboy
      1:44 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Keep commenting bud. The more you do, the more crazy you sound.

31. bigblue98
    9:42 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

No one has answered my question above – guess it got skipped over.

• bigblue98
      10:15 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Pensacola, Ned T – please answer.

• bigblue98
      10:16 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

My comment posted at 1242am

• PensacolaCat
      9:01 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have any problems wearing a mask. I wear them when necessary. But I also don’t want to be told that I’m going to get a ticket if I don’t wear a cloth on my face when I am no threat to pass a virus.

• PensacolaCat
      9:05 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Doctors have been wrong over and over. They still have no clue. Politicians don’t use science while mandating foolish rules (all the while not abiding by the same rules themselves and having exceptions for violent criminals). I’m not going to go along with that. You can try to “cancel” me for my comments, but I’m not going to change my mind about tyranny.

• bigblue98
      9:13 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

This doesn’t answer my original question at all – you and Ned are dodging the question about Trump.

• bigblue98
      9:15 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

Sorry Pensacola – didn’t see your first response above. I can understand what you’re saying and respect your opinion.

32. ScoggDog
    9:43 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Well – if Uncle Andy is pushing all his chips in on peer pressure, in the form of UK sports, to get me to wear a mask … you can go ahead and send the kids home now. I’ll miss Big Blue football a bit, but not nearly enough to give into this corona crap.

• Bluehender
      10:03 am July 14, 2020 Permalink

Grow up…

• PillsburyThrowboy
      1:43 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

You may not give in now, but I hope you don’t get it. Especially if you are 55+. Then you might be giving in.

33. blueNtheFace
    12:47 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

My father was in VIETNAM a very political driven war. Whether he “wanted” to fight for our country was not part of being selected to service. There are things we do daily that we may not like or agree with but we do them for the greater good. I joked to my wife that mask wearing would create a civil war. Look at it all now. Why do we make everything political or take sides as society? United we stand, divided we fall! Regardless if you agree or not wear a mask. Help this thing get under control. It’s not up for debate, it’s recommended by ppl who have devoted their lives to health care. What does the average person know? Nothing but what the professionals tell us.

• Bluehender
      2:31 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

blue, that makes too much sense. Those people will not give in and do what’s good for everyone. They’re too selfish. I blame the president. He should set the example for all of us. All he’s done is sewn negativity and division. And for that, he must be voted out…

• PensacolaCat
      8:56 pm July 14, 2020 Permalink

I don’t have any problem with wearing a mask. But when you say “it’s not up for debate” or “what does the average person know?” indicates you are an absolute sheep and can’t think for yourself.