South Central KY schools ignoring COVID protocols, says KHSAA Commissioner

High school football is underway in the Bluegrass, and already, some schools are under fire for ignoring COVID-19 protocols. In a meeting of the Board of Control this morning, KHSAA Commissioner Julian Tackett said a few schools in South Central Kentucky are at risk of having fall sports shut down after not requiring masks at last weekend’s football games.

“The other thing I’ll say is an overarching concern, we already have a couple of school systems that are in danger of getting a letter from us that recommends they not hold any competition. They are totally ignoring any of the guidance. We have more than one report about a couple of schools in South Central Kentucky that are not requiring masks. As a matter of fact, their athletic director is greeting teams without a mask on. There’s just an almost ambivalence to the fact or a total neglect of the fact that there’s even a problem.”

Tackett also said the KHSAA received a report of a coach allowing who tested positive for the virus to practice.

“We also have a very difficult report that we started working on when we got it yesterday from two different people where we may have had a positive test for COVID known to a coach who allowed a player to continue to practice. Held him out of a game, but allowed him to continue practicing, jeopardizing not only everybody in that team but the others in that contest if there was transmission. If that occurred…they’re jeopardizing everybody’s season.”

Also an issue: schools allowing too many fans at games. Tackett didn’t single any schools out, but said schools must be enforce mask requirements and social distancing.

“Here’s the risk: they’re going to jeopardize the games being played at all or they’re going to jeopardize their ability to attend. Some of our districts were a whole lot more aggressive in attendance allowance than what was recommended and that’s their prerogative. That’s their prerogative. I dare say a couple of them that did that would like to have had that decision over again and phased in a little bit and learned a little bit because you have trouble controlling that.”

13 Comments for South Central KY schools ignoring COVID protocols, says KHSAA Commissioner

1. Gogh Big Bleu
    12:04 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

He’s not wrong. It doesn’t mean they aren’t valued or shouldn’t be supported. But if there was no game, they wouldn’t be there. If there are no cheerleaders, the game can go on. Haven’t we seen this with the NBA and NFL so far? People who will be enraged by this (and there will be some) need to be honest about the situation.

2. OKB
    1:05 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

It’s a complete joke. My son plays DE and MLB on a central Kentucky high school team. Our first game was this past Friday Night. Before the game, during halftime, and during most switches between possessions the announcer read a statement stating that masks were required at all times. All of the parents were just laughing how stupid it is and paying no attention at all to the mask mandates. I was forced to wear a mask when I entered, because they would deny me entry if I didn’t and I wanted to see my son play, but within 5 steps past the gate my mask was off and most everybody else’s were too. It’s idiotic and anti-American to make people wear masks made by forced labor camps in China because of a virus made by forced labor camps in China.

• CJKAssassin123
      3:34 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

I would rather wear a mask and be alive, than not wear one possibly get the virus and spread it to other or even my grandmother. However what you fail to realize is that by not wearing a mask you are “making America great again” by helping to eradicate the dumbass’s in this country by committing suicide by allowing yourself to get the virus so thanks,enjoy!!!

• Bluehender
      3:52 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

CJK, I hope he does enjoy the virus. But unfortunately, of what we know about it, he may be, unknowingly, passing it on to others who may not be able to fend it off as well as some others. And he obviously doesn’t care, and for that reason I hope he does enjoy it. Very soon..

• satcheluk
      6:48 am September 18, 2020 Permalink

I served so you could be a dumbazz and write about it here. Where is your civic responsibility? Where is your empathy for your fellow man. Your heart is dark if you can’t put on a mask to save someone’s life. You will change your mind if your loved one dies or gets very sick. Why wait?

3. OKB
    1:07 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

“The other thing I’ll say is an overarching concern, we already have a couple of school systems that are in danger of getting a letter from us that recommends they not hold any competition.”

Ooo. A letter. A recommendation letter. Live like you’re free and you will be.

4. macattack
    3:25 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

Shut them down if they don’t follow the rules! Though I feel bad for the kids who are just trying to play a game they love, and it is being jeopardized by adults who want to act like entitled brats. But maybe if it gets shut down, a lot of these kids will realize that the adults they should look to as an example are anything but. That is as important a life lesson as any they’d learn on the field.

5. nocode96
    5:15 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

I can’t believe there are still people who refuse to wear a mask. Mind boggling. I’m asthmatic and can’t breathe under most normal circumstances and I wear one constantly and it doesn’t effect me at all. What’s even funnier is that they go on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram and complain annoy their freedom, meanwhile they’re happy to let those companies listen to their private conversations, share pictures of their children, and show their location. It’s never been about liberties, these people are just ignorant, dumb, hive minded cultists. Keep dancing while papa trump and fox pull the strings you dolts.

• Bluehender
      5:49 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

They were all duped nocode, these Trumpers. And while they would never admit to it, they’re seeing it now.

• CatFanInLou
      12:14 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

Not only that, but these are the folks who insist that the mask mandates don’t work while at the same time refusing to comply with the mandates.

6. bgoad72
    6:15 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

You’re a complete joke.

7. zoupman
    9:42 pm September 16, 2020 Permalink

Tackett is a horrible commissioner. He has always been quick to punish rural schools, while letting the large private schools do what they want.
    No faith in the guy.

8. ColbyKiller
    9:53 pm September 17, 2020 Permalink

“The liberties protected by the Constitution are not fair-weather freedoms – in place when times are good but able to be cast aside in times of trouble. There is no question that this country has faced, and will face, emergencies of every sort, but the solution to a national crisis can never be permitted to supersede the commitment to individual liberty that stands as the foundation for the American experiment.”