South Carolina also says no to stadium-wide alcohol sales (for now)

Photo via GamecocksOnline.com

Photo via GamecocksOnline.com

If you’re headed to Columbia for this year’s Kentucky vs. South Carolina game, I’ve got some bad news for you: you still won’t be able to purchase alcohol unless you’re in a premium area.

Today, South Carolina athletics director Ray Tanner said the school will not expand alcohol sales at football games this year, but only because they don’t have the logistics in place yet.

“We’re not there yet. Logistically, a lot of things have to happen,” Tanner said during a radio interview, via the Post and Courier. “There’s a lot of work to be done. Probably seven of the 14 schools in the SEC are in the same spot that we’re in right now.”

Tanner didn’t rule out allowing alcohol sales at basketball or baseball games, and with major renovations on tap for Williams-Brice Stadium in 2020, a change seems inevitable; however, for now, South Carolina joins Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia in keeping the current rules in place. Since the SEC lifted its alcohol ban this spring, only Texas A&M has pledged to sell beer and wine to the general public. Like most SEC schools, Kentucky is still considering the issue.

Debate in the comments in 3…2…1…

[Post and Courier]

[mobile_ad]

11 Comments for South Carolina also says no to stadium-wide alcohol sales (for now)

1. ukisgr8
    7:12 pm July 9, 2019 Permalink

Doesn’t matter. Many are drunk tailgating before games anyway

2. lexattorney
    7:31 pm July 9, 2019 Permalink

It’s the principle of the thing. I will not be attending any football games until alcohol sales are allowed across the board. Every fan, regardless of whether they sit in a box or on the bleachers, must be treated equally. Either EVERYONE drinks or NOBODY drinks. I urge all fans to support the team but to do it from home or some venue outside of Commonwealth Stadium.

• Corder
      7:57 pm July 9, 2019 Permalink

I will still be attending games but I’m right there with you on everyone or no one. The fact that the people in the boxes are allowed alcohol is some what elitist. They are saying if you have enough money the rules don’t apply to you. If that’s how they want to play it why don’t all the people without enough money to buy tickets just say screw it we don’t have to follow the rules we will let our selves in and sit where we want. A little extreme of an example but still along the same lines.

• Chacosrule
      8:09 pm July 9, 2019 Permalink

Same here. I will stay at the house with my dollars until we’re all treated better than sub-human.

• sprtphan
      10:07 pm July 9, 2019 Permalink

Geez. Talk about victomhood.

• Led Weappelin
      7:50 am July 10, 2019 Permalink

hear! hear!

3. catdaddyd
    8:01 pm July 9, 2019 Permalink

How hard is it to have guys go around and sale beer?

4. Headhurts
    9:04 pm July 9, 2019 Permalink

Heck it took 50 yrs to get seat backs, I’ll spend my 10$ on a 6pk of import instead of 10$ on 1 draft.

5. eyebleedblue
    10:38 am July 10, 2019 Permalink

Yeah bad news that the already deteriorating family atmospheres might be saved for a little longer. I mean I enjoy the barstool stadium fight as much as anybody, I just don’t want to sit next to it. Kentucky has enough amateur hour drunks at games already, not to mention the occasional child killed in the parking lot. But hey, the 20 something year old man child with the foot long beard needs his orange slice flavored beer to enjoy football.

• Led Weappelin
      10:54 am July 10, 2019 Permalink

Family atmosphere at a football game? Have you ever watched a football game? There isn’t a family atmosphere on the field. It’s brutal. Get off your high horse.