Someone in EKU’s video department deserves a raise

I thought Kentucky Wildcats TV was the hardest working video department in college athletics, but after seeing Eastern Kentucky’s new football intro video, UK has some competition.

Well done, Colonels. If there were an award for intro video of the year, you’d have my vote.

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Someone in EKU’s video department deserves a raise

1. juice
    10:19 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Impressive.

2. binarysolo
    10:29 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

O_o

Either they spent their entire athletic budget on this or they’re sitting on a goldmine. I had to put my coffee down when I got to the part with them stepping onto the field/stepping through an invisible barrier effect.

“Oh no they di’int!!!!!!”

3. Cad
    10:44 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Why am I suddenly a EKU fan?

4. jpg
    10:50 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I was watching this and an EKU t-shirt morphed on to me just like their uniforms.

5. UKfan
    10:50 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

job well done!!!

6. Nice
    10:52 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I bet EKU could beat Kentucky.

7. Admiral Halsey
    10:54 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

DAMN!

8. tom
    10:58 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

You know Drew, a couple of days ago when you highlighted several videos from Wildcat TV, as a network level television producer, I thought to myself the videos were, quite frankly, sort of amateurish. Anyone can pick a piece of music and edit slam dunks to it. But I didn’t write a comment. Didn’t want to appear negative.

However, the EKU production is really top notch. I think folks can easily see the difference in the quality of work between the two video outfits.

Kudos to Eastern and to you Drew for brining some fine work to our attention.

9. Costa Rica
    11:04 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Original, professional and entertaining. Great stuff. (An FBS school will eventually copy it) Kudos to those that produced this.

10. Musehobo
    11:25 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

No way anyone at EKU did this. This is top-notch, professional editing. I bet they put a good chunk of money into having an outside group do this. Bravo.

11. Jason
    11:26 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

I attended EKU and worked in the video lab for countless hours working on projects being a broadcasting and electronic media major. The professors in the department are second to none. Hats off. Go EKU!!! Class of ’09

12. roger
    11:39 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Impressive, I’m sure glad Louisville didn’t do this video, otherwise I would have to find something I didn’t like about it. That would be quite the task.

13. A Dav
    11:45 am September 13, 2013 Permalink

Makes me a proud Colonel, but I still bleed blue!

14. Clam
    12:19 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

A little inside Richmond joke here: I wish they had Big World ride his lawnmower through the invisible barrier and come out the other side dressed in a football uniform. His helmet would be cockeyed and he would be talking and singing to himself. THAT would be impressive!

15. EKU Colonel and UK Wildcat fan!
    12:25 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Great job EKU!!!!
    EKU has a great team this year and will probably win their conference! EKU is viewed as the little brother, but its really the small town college in Kentucky that the entire state can get behind and support. I’m proud to be an EKU Alumni and think they did a great job on the intro video!
    Last year they were sorta snubbed when they didn’t get a playoff bid, this year will be different!

16. Lane
    12:28 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

I’m currently a Junior at EKU and this video is awesome. Saw it at the home opener two weeks ago against Robert Morris. I know U of L gave them a pretty decent beating, however, this team could easily make a run at the OVC title and a run in the playoffs is a real possibility. Not only is our football team on the raise, our basketball team is projected to win the OVC and earn a 12 seed in the Big Dance, have a real shot at making some serious noise with road games against VCU, NC State, and Wisconsin (easily better non conference schedule than UofL). Don’t get me wrong, I bleed blue and will all my life, but don’t forget about us Colonels down here.

17. Megan
    12:42 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

I love the way the players change when they step onto the field. Very “Field of Dreams.” UK could do something similar, maybe with kids stepping onto the court and transforming into well-known Kentucky players, past and recent. You could have one of the players step off the court and turn into present-day Pat Riley or Dan Issel, a la Burt Lancaster. You could have Calipari look over at a kid on the sideline dressed in a suit, complete with rolled up paper in his hand, an obvious future coach. Lots of possibilities.

Speaking of generations, anyone see that awesome ESPN commercial for The Chase with Jimmie Johnson walking past the racing legends? I don’t even watch NASCAR, and I think it’s one of the best commercials I’ve seen since the NBA had legends playing with other legends. Kentucky has enough legends and legends-to-be that it should make something along these lines.

18. Chris
    12:55 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

I like this, but does it mean EKU has no highlights to put in an intro video?

19. jpg
    12:56 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

6, you can not be more bandwagon if you tried. Get your negative butt out of here. You are the type of fan that has ridiculous expectations for this team. Educate yourself, and get behind them. This staff has been putting in the work to get players that can actually change UK football.

20. halobrad
    1:06 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Probably edited by a WKU grad

21. jcatron
    1:22 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Go Big E!

22. UK fan
    2:01 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Jason Epperson of Eppic Films produced the video. It’s freakin sweet.

23. Sarah White
    3:13 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

Gosh, UK Athletics – hire this group to do the University of Kentucky Basketball intros. This was awesome.

24. Bullconrad
    3:36 pm September 13, 2013 Permalink

EKU Right On!!! Class of 74. Go EKU!!! Go BIG BLUE!!!

25. Eppicfilms