Some Notes from Friday’s NBA Summer League Fun

IMG_5564

It’s a three-hundred and eighty-five degrees today in sunny Las Vegas, but people will tell you it doesn’t feel that hot because it’s a “dry heat,” which doesn’t exist. The truth — do you want the truth? Because here it is — that walking from the inside of an air conditioned building to the outside feels like preheating an oven to 450, crouching down, and opening that oven door directly into your face. But it’s a dry heat.

After a big night last night at the Venetian’s Bourbon Room, which does serve bourbon but technically is not a room as much as a cordoned-off lounge area, we rose groggily this morning to head back to Thomas & Mack and catch some more dry hot, D-League action. While we spent much of yesterday inside the cool, intimate environs of Cox Pavillion, home of the Lady Runnin’ Rebels, today we began in the massive arena landscape of Thomas & Mack itself for the Heat v. Kings. Some notes from the afternoon are as follows:

IMG_5565

-The Heat’s Josh Smith, possibly playing against his future employers today if trade talks mean anything, clearly used his $100 per diem to eat twenty and a half $4.99 steak and egg meals from Bally’s just before the game. He was looking a little rough out there. He played like I jog.

-Hey everyone, there’s Deandre Liggins! Working to join the Kings squad after stints in Sioux Falls, Russia and Germany, Deandre’s hoping to join fellow Cats alumni Willie and DeMarcus and looked to be giving it all he had and leading the Kings with fourteen points and three assists. Willie joined him with twelve points and nine rebounds as Sac-Town (do people call it Sac-Town? I’m going to) fought back from a twenty-five point deficit to beat the Dry Heat 73-68.

IMG_5567

-Karl was in the house with nine points and only four rebounds in the ‘Wolves loss to Cleveland’s randos as Lebron James watched from the sidelines. Tyus Jones also ran the floor well and ended up with eleven points of his own. Side note: I’ve never in my life seen the energy of a room change like I did today when Lebron walked through the door. Literally everyone sat up in their seats, kids jumped, a thousand cell-phones came out of a thousand pockets. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced such a visceral reaction from a room full of people to a star as I did today. Crazy.

Montrezl Harrell looked good for the Houston Rockets today, for whatever that’s worth.

Best name today?  Cleveland center Rakeem Christmas.

-Is wearing sunglasses on the back of your head a thing now? Because at one point today I could see four people wearing them this way. It’s stupid. Sunglasses go on the front of your head, idiots.

IMG_5575

-Willie is a star in the making. The Sacramento fans in the crowd are clearly into him (the biggest fan bases are, unsurprisingly, fans of California teams) and he graciously signed autographs for a long line of kids in the concourse after the game. The NBA seems to be positive about him too, with several signed items being raffled off by the NBA for charity being items signed by WCS. This is a good sign for how he’ll be marketed as a player in the bigs.

-Julius Randle came up with eleven points and five rebounds in a loss to the Utah Jazz, too, but I’ll be honest, we were watching Karl play. So I looked that one up.

-Nerlens Noel is playing in a “Celebrity Ping Pong Tournament” with Dr. J and others tomorrow at the Venetian, and we received a coupon for $50 off the entrance fee to that tournament, which means that a full-price ticket to watch Nerlens Noel play ping pong is AT LEAST $50. I don’t know about you guys but I wouldn’t want to watch anyone play ping pong FOR FREE, much less people who are probably not seasoned ping pong players.

mnhy-1024x521

-Old Vegas is in the proverbial cards for tonight. Dinner and drinks on Fremont Street, the only place in Las Vegas where I feel handsome. Have a great night, gang, and merry Rakeem Christmas!

Article written by C.M. Tomlin

All I want is a HI-C and a turkey sandwich. @CM_Tomlin

16 Comments for Some Notes from Friday’s NBA Summer League Fun

1. rifraff
    12:10 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

It is nice to know how former players are doing but come on they are FORMER players and reporting every time that they go to the bathroom is really getting old. Send someone over to campus and follow the new basketball or football players and report when they go to burger king or pick up a girl. I love Karl and WCS but I bet they don’t care what you guys are doing, they are Millionaires. Let it rest for a time.

• Derp, much?
      12:33 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

I must have missed the post about the player’s bathroom updates. Link?

Its the freaking middle of summer. Get over yourself.

And may I remind you: KAT called into KSR TWICE on DRAFT DAY – the most important day of his young life. Don’t be the dumbass that thinks these players don’t care about this school after they leave….. Only ignorant UofL fans think that – because their own players don’t care about the school, L1C4 or whatever and transfer.

• theSkinny81
      12:41 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

Once a Cat, always a Cat.

• BigBlueBoom
      8:05 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

@rifraf – it’s part of Cals and KSR’s brainwashing to make you think UK’s success is based on these players getting to the pro’s. It helps ease the reality the pain of all these “great” players not being able to win it all on the college level with the greatest talent assembled every year.

• Ha!
      12:37 pm July 18, 2015 Permalink

Awwww….. you Crad trolls are maaaaaad. LOL

• Ha!
      12:38 pm July 18, 2015 Permalink

*Card, Tard, you know what I meant.

• CardFan502
      12:41 pm July 18, 2015 Permalink

Yo Dawg, do you even KNOW how hype I’d be if we had da same kinna run YewKay’s had in the last 5-6 years? I’d for real tell errbody about how badass we are. Bet.

2. Herbert Calhoun-Stein
    12:10 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

C.M., you Matt and Drew must be having a great time in Vegas. I live in an old trailer next to a toxic waste dump with an ugly wife and eight kids probably none of them is mine. I am sure that I represent the vast majority of the fanbase. I am suing the government for five different disabilities and when I win I will be able to follow the Cats, both football and basketball, wherever they go. Thanks for giving me and millions of fans like me hope and inspiration

• Brian
      12:27 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

Good to see you switching from Cards to Cats! You’ll see a drastic improvement in your overall health and jaded jealousy most Card fans have. Help convert some more, and improve their quality of life. Kudos, sir!

#FriendsDontLetFriendsTardOut

3. Alien Frank
    1:14 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

I wear my sunglasses on the back of my head because I have eyes back there.
    Just like my Mama did. Stop hatin’.

4. C.M. Tomlin
    7:39 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

Do you have any idea, a slightest clue of how funny I am?
    Can any of you dumb rednecks ever and I mean ever come up with merry Rakeem Christmas?

• Dude
      12:44 pm July 18, 2015 Permalink

Judging by the horrendous use of punctuation and grammar alone, one can easily determine that this was, indeed, not C.M. Tomlin, but an illiterate, butt-hurt Louisville troll.

5. Bhert
    7:51 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

Tomlin you get a solid B-. Was an A until the Rakeem Christmas line. Would be funny if he was some obscure player we’d never heard of, but come on, everyone knows him from his 9 seasons at Syracuse.

6. INCALWETRUST
    8:30 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

Sunglasses on the back of the head was started a few years ago by the PGA. Sponsors were complaining that advertising on the front of hats were blocked by sunglasses worn on top of cap. Now you Know.

7. catdaddyd
    11:34 am July 18, 2015 Permalink

The people who wear sunglasses on the back of their head are the same ones who wear their hats backwards. I’m talking to you Drew “Benjamin” Franklin.

• catdaddyd