So what happens if Rick is Coach-2? (Thursday Show Thread)

More explosive news surrounding Rick Pitino and Louisville this morning, so you know what’s ahead for the next two hours.

Tune in.

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

111 Comments for So what happens if Rick is Coach-2? (Thursday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:02 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Pitino’s got some real big ones. Playing the victim while knowing the freaking FBI has him nailed? What a nut.

• ukjaybrat
      10:09 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Maybe he knows he’s getting his money no matter what. University-6 is going to fire him regardless. but if i’m not mistaken, he has to be explicitly implicated with a level 1 violation (or whatever the wording is) in order to be fired or he gets ALL of his money. But the time it would take for the NCAA to work through all of that is too long for university-6 to wait on this. they want a new coach NOW.
      Make sense?

• Realme
      10:10 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

He should get a lifetime NCAA coaching ban.

• Realme
      10:11 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

They can hire a new coach and fight him in court for years over the money.

• Wow, the hits just keep on coming. I didn’t like it when he took the UL job, but I certainly never envisioned anything like this happening. I’ll miss Cal beating him every year.

• ukjaybrat
      10:20 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

not even Cal could take that job right now and be able to recruit there for the next 4 years. i don’t think we will have a problem beating whatever team they filed for the foreseeable future.

10:36 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

If they even have a team after all this shakes out.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:11 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

What..some guy at the Ringer can’t write a piece on Petino’s legacy without dragging Cal into it, and throwing a condescending asteism at him. “Calipari has managed to outrun his reputation as a cheater (for the most part)” Get out of town.

• Realme
      10:12 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

So silly.

• ukjaybrat
      10:13 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

i think it was supposed to be a compliment. as in even the haters dont have a leg to stand on with the cheater accusations anymore.
      the way i read it anyway.

• Realme
      10:14 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I didn’t read it, but wasn’t that one of the Cal haters that hosted while Matt was gone?

• runningunnin.454
      10:20 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Left handed compliment.

• More like a back-handed compliment.

3. DrSayre
    10:13 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

When will we hear Bill Lamb’s Point of View on all of this?

• Who’s that?

• RealCatsFan
      10:26 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

He’s the head honcho at WDRB 41 in Louisville – he always give his editorials that end with him saying “I’m Bill Lamb, and that’s my point of view.”

• I gotcha. An old TV guy where I live ended his with “And that’s the way we see it!”

• DrSayre
      10:39 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

They talk about him every so often… the last time being around the time Matt said they were considering firing Jurich, when Bill Lamb gave a defense of Jurich and talked about how much he played golf with him

• RealCatsFan
      10:45 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

The late, great Walter Cronkite used to end with “…and that’s the way it is.”

• RealCatsFan
      10:48 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Wasn’t it Dan Rather who used to end with the single word “courage”? I always thought that was hokey. Remember when he got on the air one night and talked about getting mugged and the mugger repeatedly asking him “What’s the frequency, Kenneth?” I thought that was hilarious – like an episode of Seinfeld where Kramer mugged the wrong guy for some bizarre reason. REM even wrote a song about it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:08 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

One thing about it…when Cronkite said, “that’s the way it is”, that was the way it was; we have no integrity in television journalism anymore.
      I’ll always remember his breaking down on live TV when JFK was shot.

• chief_cat
      11:14 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

My favorite (not that I am old enough to remember it except for clips of old broadcasts) is Edward R Murrow’s “Good night and good luck”.

• runningunnin.454
      11:34 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Murrow covered WWII, so he really meant the “good luck”.

• Rather “sang” that song with REM on stage once. He could not keep even the least bit of rhythm from what I could tell.

4. RealCatsFan
    10:15 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Wow, just wow, at the level of arrogance shown by Pitino if he is in fact “Coach 2”. Did he think he was not going to get caught in that lie? Unfrigginbelievable!

5. secrick
    10:17 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I could be wrong about this and i know Pitino is so bad but i think Jurich may be the biggest crook of them all.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:17 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

So now that Jurich is no longer the puppetmaster at Louisville, does that mean that we won’t have any more of those mysterious, phantom emergency broadcast system tests that seemed to hit KSR at the most inopportune times? 😉

• ukjaybrat
      10:18 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

nah, he will still hold a grudge for several years to come.

• RealCatsFan
      10:20 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, but now he will have to sneak over to the signal tower and cut the wire instead of simply flipping a switch.

10:43 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I can’t wait for all the Jurich stories to start coming out. I’ve got my popcorn ready.

7. loservilletard
    10:20 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

The Wall Street Journal is also reporting that Pitino is indeed Coach-2.

8. Another reason no one is talking about Eastern Michigan: they’re Eastern Michigan.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, but I have an uneasy feeling that they could give us a close, embarrassing game along the lines of EKU.

• I actually work with a young lady who is an E Michigan alumnus. When I told her UK would be playing them she laughed and said “Were terrible. You all will kill us.”

10:44 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I think we win by 14 or more.

• runningunnin.454
      11:03 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

The UL mess knocked our game with the Gators out of the conversation….now how do ya like that?

• RealCatsFan
      11:08 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

rg, wish we could post pictures on this site – friend of mine sent me a picture that had Stoops on the top saying “They are never going to stop talking about us losing to Florida again” and below it a picture of Pitino with “HOLD MY BEER…” across it. 😀

9. RealCatsFan
    10:23 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

RIP, Hugh Hefner. Just think, if the FBI had waited just a few days to release their probe, we could have been treated to Pitino saying “On the day that Hugh Hefner died, you want to bring up something like this?” 😀

10. RealCatsFan
    10:24 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Vitale calling Pitino out of the blue to suggest that he resign is only upstaged by the fact that he left the message on the answering machine.

11. Taylor88
    10:27 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

U6C2 BABY……………….

12. Realme
    10:33 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I guess the days of “good for the rest of the SEC for getting better talent in basketball” are over.

13. Sentient Third Eye
    10:33 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I never thought I would say this, but I want to go on record thanking Rick Pitino for getting out of Lexington when he did. Turns out it was the best thing he ever did for the University of Kentucky.

• Realme
      10:35 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Yes! Can we also talk about how much we appreciate Cal? He turned in Marcus Camby himself for Pete’s sake. He’s the opposite of Rick in this and many things.

10:48 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Cal is the polar opposite of Rick in most ways that count.

• runningunnin.454
      10:59 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Pitino did drag us out of the ashes of the Chris Mills debacle, and in three years had us in what many call the greatest college basketball game of all time. Of course, he didn’t put a man on Grant Hill…the sports analysts call that “the shot”….I call it “the PASS”.

• RealCatsFan
      11:05 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Did Stoops get his defensive principles from watching that game?

• Yes, what Rick did for us was nothing short of amazing. He made his own bed, but part of me is still sad about this whole thing.

I’ll say this one more time, and probably never again on this site since he’s gone: he would have curried (sp?) more favor with UK fans when he took that job if he had kept his pie hole shut instead of saying “I know some small minded ppl won’t like this”. Again, he should have just said “I know some UK fans won’t like it, and I completely understand that (even if he didn’t believe that), but I have to do what’s best for my family.”

• No kidding RCF. I’m still in shock from the UF game to an extent.

Did you all see the video of the UK cheerleader giving the defense the business after they gave up one of those TD’s. It was hilarious…and sickening at the same time.

• BTW, does all this make it even more ironic that Cal had Slick Rick on his podcast last year?

11:33 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

The cheerleaders have a bajillion national titles, so they can criticize anyone they want.

• I agree J-Dub! I just meant that it added to the sickening feeling. I wondered if she was saying “I could have covered that guy at least a little!” or “Ray Charles could have seen he was uncovered!”

11:46 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I haven’t seen it, but I’ll have to find it. Sounds hilarious.

12:02 pm September 28, 2017 Permalink

Both depressing and funny at the same time. She really let them have it.

• Realme
      12:13 pm September 28, 2017 Permalink

That’s pretty much what I was doing on Saturday too, from my living room. When I wasn’t laying on the floor in despair.

14. ukjaybrat
    10:42 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Fixed the controversey on whether to leave the banner up or not:

10:45 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Just move it to the men’s room.

• Realme
      10:57 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I think either sew an asterisk onto it, or hang it upside down. No need to completely erase him. 🙂

• CATandMONKEY
      11:03 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Upside-down is just so perfect on several levels.

• I think you definitely made the Top 10 Tweets Jay! It should be #1!

• CATandMONKEY
      11:34 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub you need to be posting GIFs on the live blog.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:36 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

+1 for Jaybrat on top 10 tweets.

11:45 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

My comments almost never get posted on the live blog.

• Realme
      12:14 pm September 28, 2017 Permalink

I think you have to be one of the cool kids to get featured much on the lb.

12:24 pm September 28, 2017 Permalink

Well then, clearly my comment should be getting through. 😉

• nmichave
      3:04 pm September 28, 2017 Permalink

Look at you people wanting to take down the banner. It’s a part of our history. You can’t erase UK’s history. That banner isn’t bothering anybody. What’s with this drive to wipe out uncomfortable elements of our past from the public sphere? Bunch of social justice warriors. ;-/

15. runningunnin.454
    11:01 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Amazing all the “football schools” that are in this mess. Auburn, ‘Bama, and Southern Cal…odd.

• And Auburn and Bama had just started reeling in some big time recruits over the last year or 2. John Petty anyone?

• RealCatsFan
      11:49 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Can’t believe LSU wasn’t pulled into it too. They took Blakeney, after all.

12:00 pm September 28, 2017 Permalink

The NCAA really needs to stop allowing coaches to hire the family/guardians of players in order to get them to sign.

16. Realme
    11:09 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I keep on trying to hit that like button. Weird that it stopped working.

11:11 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Oh good, it’s not just me.

• Realme
      11:14 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Maybe they turned it off to help with the heavy traffic stopping the site from loading.

11:17 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

They said there have been 1.5 million hits to the site the last couple of days. I have been about 500 of those hits.

• CATandMONKEY
      11:26 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

There has been no like button on the mobile site since the “upgrade “. . .at least not on my three mobile browsers.

• Realme
      11:28 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Now it’s not just the mobile site. The button is there, but it doesn’t do anything.

• RealCatsFan
      11:46 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

yep, I noticed that too. I’m on Firefox – anyone seeing the same thing on a different browser?

• I’m on Chrome and it isn’t working. It stopped working yesterday too. Yep, I think it was to try to prevent the 504 crashing.

17. secrick
    11:19 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Can’t listen today has Matt said anything about the FBI starting an investigation on Nike ?

11:20 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

They’re talking about it right now. Matt thinks Kansas is going to get busted soon.

18. J-Dub421
    11:22 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I’m still not worried. Cal is carrying on like he doesn’t have a care in the world.

19. runningunnin.454
    11:22 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Well, I’m not worried about the FBI probe; but, they say University of Miami is university-7, and they’re worried. We did recently have a common recruit.

11:25 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Refresh my memory, which recruit?

• runningunnin.454
      11:29 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Quickley.

11:35 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Oh, not worried then. We recruited Quickley for several years, and were his leader the whole way. There are many obvious reasons he would want to come to Kentucky. It would have been a lot shadier if he had suddenly shunned us for Miami.

• runningunnin.454
      11:41 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

All true; thanks.

• ukjaybrat
      11:50 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

He canceled his visit to miami and never rescheduled. hurricane related but maybe also bribery just turned him off?

20. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

No matter what happens with the investigation, I just want to see UNC and Duke get whacked with this. If all of the blueblood programs end up getting caught up in all of this, you would have to think that the FBI would not play favorites with the “golden calves” the way the NCAA has done in the past.

• Could this explain how Coach K all of a sudden is out-Cal’ing Cal with the 1 and dones?

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

cg, things that make you go “hmmm”…

11:49 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I strongly suspect Rick started cheating because he was getting out recruited so very badly by Cal and losing to UK. Rick saw the writing on the wall, and his ego couldn’t handle it. The result is the current U of L mess.

21. secrick
    11:29 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I still don’t get it, the FBI took 3 years to complete this investigation and had guys acting like they worked for Adidas and now they are telling people they are starting an investigation. Doesn’t make sense to me.

11:52 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

The FBI doesn’t publicly announce an investigation like this unless they already have a huge case with lots of evidence. Now they’re just hoping to catch a few more people when the dudes they arrested roll on others and cut deals to avoid jail time.

22. RealCatsFan
    11:31 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Any chance UofL could bring Bobby Knight out of retirement to coach their team? That would keep the passion of the rivalry fired up!

• Realme
      11:34 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

That would be so fun.

• secrick
      11:36 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

I hope so.

11:36 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Knight’s gone senile. He doesn’t even know what a shot clock is anymore.

• That would continue to make it fun to beat them.

11:49 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Crean is more likely and would provide quite a bit of comic relief.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:38 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

What Matt is saying is kind of ironic when you think that it was Pitino who used to always say “Live in the precious present”.

24. RealCatsFan
    11:43 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Things that would undoubtedly get your jersey taken down?

1. murder
    2. child molestation
    3. doing something that gets your program in trouble with the NCAA

25. runningunnin.454
    11:49 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Well, to be fair, I think we did get the death penalty in 1952. Of course, that’s the old thing about punishing players that didn’t have anything to do with the situation. Then, the next year’s team had players that couldn’t participate in the NCAA tournament because they had already graduated…hah.

• ukjaybrat
      11:52 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

technically it wasn’t called the death penalty back then.

• ClutchCargo
      12:05 pm September 28, 2017 Permalink

Technically, it isn’t called the death penalty now, either.

26. RealCatsFan
    11:52 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Shannon swings the biggest non-regional diction around!

11:54 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

Maybe Rick should have swung his diction non-regionally. He might not have gotten caught that way.

27. ukjaybrat
    11:53 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

“The term ‘death penalty’ is used loosely by Byers in these memoirs in that the term did not exist at the time and the punishment Kentucky received was not nearly the same severity as the ‘Death Penalty’ which was devised decades later in the 1980s to deter schools from becoming repeat offenders. In the latter case, the Death Penalty called for the sports program to be disbanded completely, which in reality meant the coaches were fired, players dispersed etc. None of this happened at Kentucky. This fact has not deterred some from erroneously stating the Kentucky received the first death penalty”

• ukjaybrat
      11:54 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

gah, reply fail.
      should be under 25

11:55 am September 28, 2017 Permalink

SMU is the only program I can think of that got a program shut down (football).