Sleep Outfitters’ Thursday Recruiting Roundup

SO-499-500x500

Save big for one more week with these deals from our friends at Sleep Outfitters! Twin sets as low as $199. Sealey Pillowtops with gel foam for $499 plus a FREE HDTV! The offer is almost up, so hurry!

Save at Sleep Outfitters!

*****

Screen Shot 2015-07-16 at 11.13.49 AM

Calipari and Barbee were out recruiting this morning.

The two UK coaches were courtside for the adidas Uprising All-America Camp in New York, where they watched two of their top targets in the 2016 class: Kobi Simmons and Rawle Alkins.

Calipari was in Atlanta last night for the Under Armour event to see Markelle Fultz and a couple other 2016 prospects.

Edrice Adebayo likes UK.

The 6-foot-9 power forward, ranked fourth at his position, does not hold an offer from Kentucky but he still had great things to say about the program after playing in front of Calipari and Barbee this morning.

He told Adam Zagoria, “Their fan base is incredible. I like the way they play, fast, they go through their bigs. They just play hard basketball.”

Adebayo (from North Carolina, of course) is considering UNC, Duke, NC State and Wake Forest, among many others. He plans to cut his list at the end of the month before making a decision this fall.

Simmons sounds very, very, very high on Kentucky.

Also from Zagoria… Simmons said of Kentucky, “Me and Cal talk pretty much every day now. It’s a strong recruitment and he just tells me he wants me. I know what they do, I know the system, I’ll have the ball in my hands and I want to try and win a national championship.”

I’ll be pretty shocked if this kid ends up anywhere but Lexington next summer.

The Big Blue Madness guest list is taking form.

Confirmed visitors: Miles Bridges and Rawles Alkins

Rumored performer: Drake

Many more to come.

Dennis Smith Sr. says Kentucky offer is bigger than just any offer.

Dennis Smith Jr., the No. 1 point guard in America, picked up a scholarship offer from Kentucky Tuesday evening and his father knows the magnitude of Calipari’s call. Smith Sr. said, “It’s Kentucky, so you can’t say it’s just another offer.”

The elder Smith expected to hear from UK eventually and he understands Cal typically waits until later in the process.

Still, all signs point to Simmons taking the point guard spot in Lexington from this class. Reaching out to Smith may be a way to speed up Simmons’ decision.

UNC offered Markelle Fultz.

Ol’ Roy threw his name in the mix for the five-star guard, not even a week after John Calipari told Fultz he has a spot at Kentucky. Now Fultz only needs Duke to have a scholarship at the three schools he desires most.

Article written by Drew Franklin

9 Comments for Sleep Outfitters’ Thursday Recruiting Roundup

1. cracka
    3:10 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

not sure why this was posted under FB Recruiting, but would you rather have Simmons or Smith if you had to pick?

• Prince_Ali
      3:35 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

Well, I think we end up with Simmons. Smith is the better player but it’s close. Almost a foregone conclusion that Smith ends up at NC State. Simmons wants to be at UK, regardless of what guards stick around, kind of like Briscoe during last recruiting season. He will be a serviceable point guard for us, similar to Teague IMO.

• ballsdeep
      3:43 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

Teague was buns!!!

• J-Dub421
      3:47 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

I think Simmons fits Cal’s style of play better.

2. CatsFan
    3:56 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

Anyone else notice a trend here in this 2016 class? Many of the top players are from the state of North Carolina. Im from KY and played ball in High School and I know the competition level wasnt the greatest but still extremely competitive. Basketball is obviously the “States sport.”

Wonder how/why there are not more big time recruits out of the state (KY)? Does KY need more prep schools? Dont get me wrong I love Hawk, DWill, Hood, etc. but they are no where near these NC stars.

• 8 god
      4:05 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

I would attribute it to a larger population, higher minority population, more big cities, and as you mentioned, more prep schools. Kentucky has two athletic academies and they are both in Louisville, and they aren’t even that good at basketball. NC has lots of nationally competitive academies.

• CatsFan
      4:21 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

8 god. Makes sense really. Bigger cities I understand that. Maybe the AAU Nationals in Louisville will help over the years. But even Indiana as a State always produces D-1 players so much more than us. I feel like they only have Indianapolis as major metro? They whoop up KY all stars every year.

Even WV or VA states have more prospects however the only reason they are on the map is Huntington Prep (basically in KY a few miles off) and Oak Hill. The DC area is loaded BTW. I wish we could keep kids home more like D’Angelo Russell = leaving town to go to, wait for it… FLORIDA. For better basketball competition lol

• J-Dub421
      4:44 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

I was curious, so I looked up the populations of several of the states mentioned, just for comparison:
      Kentucky: 4.4 million
      North Carolina: 9.94 million
      Indiana: 6.59 million
      West Virginia: 1.85 million
      Virginia: 8.32 million

• Doesn't matter
      5:18 pm July 16, 2015 Permalink

A high concentration of ” minorities” as you said doesn’t have to do with Kentucky having poor basketball. The reality is that other places have a ton more people. Any place that has a higher population is going to produce better talent. If you look in KY the best recruits for football and basketball usually come form places that have more people. Matt Elam is an example for us and Synder for UofL bball which he is from Lville.