Sleep Outfitters’ Thursday Recruiting Roundup

Save big with these deals from our friends at Sleep Outfitters! Twin sets as low as $199. Sealey Pillowtops with gel foam for $499 plus a FREE HDTV! The offer is almost up, so hurry!

Save at Sleep Outfitters!

*****

The latest in UK basketball and football recruiting…

Wenyen Gabriel arrives in Lexington tonight.

The 6-foot-9 forward from Massachusetts is expected to touch down in Lexington tonight to begin his official visit to the University of Kentucky. Now the No. 16 player in the 247 Composite, Gabriel was unheard of earlier this year, that is, until he broke out in the summer AAU circuit. Kentucky swooped in with an offer in July and now he is one of John Calipari’s primary targets in the class.

Calipari visited Gabriel while in Massachusetts for his Hall of Fame enshrinement earlier this month, then again with Kenny Payne at Gabriel’s high school yesterday. There’s no doubt he is high atop Cal’s list for this class, especially with the very likely loss of Miles Bridges to Michigan State. Speaking of that…

All signs still point to Miles Bridges in East Lansing.

More and more people are getting behind the Bridges-to-Michigan State movement. Once believed to be a future Wildcat, Bridges is now predicted to become a Spartan when he announces his decision from his hometown of Flint in a week and a half.

It’s a shame things went wrong for Kentucky because Bridges was one of Cal’s favorites in the class. He is the prototypical Calipari player and would’ve benefited greatly from Cal’s coaching, but he’s likely headed for Izzo ball. Whatever happened on that recent visit to State changed everything.

Calipari watched his “No. 1 recruit” yesterday.

Talking about Brad Calipari, of course. Cal checked in with his son Brad, as well as Hamidou Diallo and the aforementioned Wenyen Grabriel while in the Northeast yesterday.

Diallo is currently ranked as the No. 3 shooting guard in the 2017 class.

De’Aaron Fox will visit Louisville this weekend.

After seeing Fox invite his classmate to the in-home visit with Kentucky earlier this week, I want him more than any other player in the class — except for maybe Harry Giles, maybe. Fox showed great character and selflessness by considering his friend, a UK fan with special needs, when John Calipari was in town. It said all we need to know about what Fox is like off the court.

I think we can all agree: he’s too good for Louisville.

Star defensive tackle has eyes on the Cats, will visit this weekend.

Per Justin Rowland over at Cats Illustrated, Emmit Gooden is a name to watch in football recruiting. The 14th-ranked strong-side defensive end has offers from LSU, Tennessee, Alabama, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, among many others, but he has interest in Kentucky and will be on campus for the Missouri game. UK can throw its name in the top of the mix with an impressive weekend, and that’s a mix we just weren’t used to being in prior to the Mark Stoops era. Times are changing, if you haven’t noticed.

That’ll do it for now. I’m off to the see the new recruiting room in Commonwealth Stadium.

Buy a mattress from Sleep Outfitters when you get a chance.

Article written by Drew Franklin

16 Comments for Sleep Outfitters’ Thursday Recruiting Roundup

1. card man
    2:54 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

We don’t want players like Fox on our team, you can have him. We need more players like Chane was. Chane was a class act. Point blank. Period.

2. 9 on the mind
    2:57 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

Give me Monk (next Ray Allen), Simmons, and Fox for our backcourt next year. Unless bridges decides to change his mind of course lol.

3. Megan
    3:30 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

Let’s hope Cal hasn’t given up on Miles Bridges the way KSR has. All because gossipmonger Matt Jones tweeted that “there is a growing feeling” the Spartans may have overtaken the Cats as the leader?

What Matt speculated as a vague “feeling” has somehow turned into a fait accompli. Everybody just settle down. Let’s give Miles the dignity of making his own announcement.

• Leuther
      3:46 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

My sources say he’s headed to dook…

• Settle Down
      3:46 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

It isn’t bc Matt speculated, it’s also bc Jerry Meyer at 247 has info that also says the same thing. Meyer is rarely wrong. Yes, the kid gets to make his own announcement but blaming Matt is wrong.

4. fatbrat
    3:39 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

Stoops is doing a great job recruiting don’t get me wrong. I have to wonder why UK has never offered Rashan Gary when he publicly stated he would like to visit Kentucky. Another thing I find puzzling Tee Higgins a 5 star receiver also showed interest in UK, when Stoops was recruiting his teammate, Darel Middleton a 4 star wide out. Both are the tall rangy type receivers we are looking for. Both kids have now committed to other programs .Possibly we never had a chance with all these guys but why not offer the high ranked players that show interest.

• BluKudzu
      3:45 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

Same reason he hired Dawson and won’t play Barker: Stoops doesn’t care about winning.

• BluKudzu
      3:48 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

Mitch should have hired me. I care about winning and know better than the coaches who see them play every day.

• BluKudzu
      5:24 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

^^^^
      Stolen name on those posts. Some middle sister that never got attention at home is using my name. I find it is amusing, her infatuation with me, wanting my attention, likely due to her being fat and ugly and having no friends.

• BluKudzu
      5:46 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

I may not know a thing about how football works, but my huge imagination allows me to conjure up highly creative fantasy stories. So, I’ve got that going for…. which is nice.

• BluKudzu
      3:54 am September 25, 2015 Permalink

^^^^^^^ Stolen Again
      The fat and ugly , lonely Middle sister is totally in awe of me! She keeps using my name to get attention. This is as fun as it gets. She has no social life other than desperately reaching out to those she is infatuated with, in the manner of most acne faced, ugly, little fat girls, just like her. None of her family gives her the attention she needs and she so craves. You can tell she is immature, because she lacks the capability to offer an opinion, much less the imagination to substantiate an opposing view, to those she does not agree with, resorting to infantile gibberish, using only the names of those which can and do.
      Sweetheart, go apply your acne medicine, brush your moss covered teeth, and go to bed. Your 8th grade home work needs to be done. I am telling you this because we all know your mother and father do not care. We do. We don’t want you to grow up and live in a trailer park on welfare.

• BluKudzu
      10:49 am September 25, 2015 Permalink

See? What’d ya think about that one?

5. 8 god
    4:17 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

As a top wing player, why would you want to play in the Izzo system?

• Oh The Arrogance
      4:38 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

contrary to popular belief, there are other great coaches around that elite recruits can be drawn to. UK Bball fans are a notch below Michigan FBall fans on the arrogance scale.

• Nah, We're Just Good and We Know It
      5:06 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

Where does Thad Matta stack up in all of this? LOL

• cig107
      8:54 pm September 24, 2015 Permalink

Don’t give up on Bridges yet, people.

Miles is a smart kid, he knows that in the Kentucky system, especially the dribble-drive which is what we’ll likely run again in 16′-17 with Ulis and an athletic, smaller lineup, that the swing 3 man eats the most…second only to the point guard.

I think we get him, but I’m going to say MSU because everytime I pick against us in recruiting, we always seem to get that recruit, ha. We’ve had a ton of guys the past few years that we weren’t favored to get at all but still, they chose UK and BBN.