Skyy Clark explains decision to shut down high school season

GettyImages-SkyyClark-2019
(Photo by Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

GettyImages-SkyyClark-2019

(Photo by Brian Rothmuller/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

At the end of January, future Kentucky guard Skyy Clark opted out of the remainder of his junior season due to COVID-19 concerns. In a new interview with SI’s Jason Jordan, Clark sheds more light on that decision, which he says he made on behalf of his family, which has been hit hard by the coronavirus, himself included. Clark contracted the virus in February 2020…right after his visit to Kentucky.

“I think I was the first one to get it back before it really got big. It was back in February of 2020, I believe. It was actually after I took my Kentucky visit. I came back and I was out of it for a week and a half. I think I was the first one with it before it really got known like that. Six out of the eight members of my family got it, so it’s been going through the family.”

“For me, it was pretty rough,” Clark said of his experience with COVID. “I’m not going to lie. It’s like the flu but on steroids. I was stuck in bed, I could barely move. My body was aching. I had headaches the whole entire day. My congestion, it was terrible.”

Clark attends Ensworth School in Nashville and made the call to end his season right after Tennessee Governor Bill Lee lifted restrictions on attendance at indoor school sporting events. Clark told Jordan that once his father contracted the virus and couldn’t spend Christmas with the family because he was in quarantine, he knew he didn’t want to put anyone else at risk, especially given the crowds at some of his games.

“During games, I don’t really think about anything besides the game but after games, especially in Tennessee, I mean, for our home games, there were restrictions, but for away games, I mean, if you saw our first game of the season at Brentwood [High], the place was pretty much packed. Most of the gyms are like that, especially when we play. Just seeing that out here in Tennessee, it’s kind of like living normal life out here. There are not really a lot of restrictions.”

Clark says he’s still training hard on his own to prepare for next season. He didn’t say anything about potentially reclassifying, so for now, it appears that will be at Ensworth, not Kentucky.

For more, including the full interview, click below.

[SI All-American]

21 Comments for Skyy Clark explains decision to shut down high school season

1. millertim
    2:40 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

This young man is LEGIT!! Really excited about him coming to UK!

2. secrick
    3:43 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

Good hope he doesn’t reclassify. Enjoy your senior season if you don’t opt out and then come on down to Ky.

3. MTODDUK08
    3:53 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

I live about 15 minutes from Ensworth and I have watched him several times the best game was against Seigal where my son plays and he is a pure pg he still has a lot of developing to do but he reminds me of a young Marcus Smart

4. Glam Girl
    4:23 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

If he “opts” out of one team, he wouldn’t think twice about baling on another. Sounds like he is more worried about himself than he is being a team player.

• Swizzle
      5:07 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

Yep

• T-Town Cat
      8:31 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

He has quit on a total of three high schools. He left his California high school to go to Brentwood Academy south of Nashville, then left there to go to Ensworth, then quit on them halfway through the season. If he had signed with any other University, UK fans would be crushing him.

• Corder
      9:25 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

Exactly my thoughts. Didn’t know he quit on three other teams. Don’t feel Good about him coming and to be honest would rather start golf after another kid that we know is going to come here. Kids these days are all about them selves witch is fine but why waste the resources on these kids who have no intentions on playing anywhere they go except for the league.

• Keets
      2:55 am February 24, 2021 Permalink

Movin to TN in high school does not = quitting on CA team. And his brief enrollment at BA + his quick transfer to Ensworth was before official practices started. Who knows the reason (brother; academic path to reclassify; etc.?). Maybe he quit on his pre-cal teacher, but quitting on three teams seems to be a stretch.

5. neat1ky
    4:24 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

Opting out because of the virus affecting his family is smart, not bailing

• Corder
      9:25 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

Then why did he bail on those other teams?

• Glam Girl
      10:25 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

COVID is apparently popular excuse to quit on your team. He’s already had it once, and sounded like a bad case of the flu. His other teammates didn’t quit. I’m so not looking forward to this person coming to our team. Sad.

• zoupman
      8:41 am February 24, 2021 Permalink

Sounds like kind of guy who might turn in ankle in Dec and just decide to quit on team.

6. CahillsCrossingNT
    7:27 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

It’s good to see that he takes this seriously. He knows how important listening to the science is.

• Corder
      9:26 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

Then why did he play at all? Y’all give to much credit to people thinking they do things for the reason you want to believe it is.

• Glam Girl
      10:31 pm February 23, 2021 Permalink

Where’s the science behind playing and sweating and spitting and breathing on the other team plus your own while on the floor, but when you go to the bench, you mask up and are spread out from the same guys you just hugged on at the free throw line….It’s all optics. Period. Makes no sense whatsoever.

• UKBigBlueForever
      12:11 am February 24, 2021 Permalink

What glam girl said

• just a guy
      9:35 am February 24, 2021 Permalink

Glam girl been saying this all year. Players on floor all over each other, then when they go to bench they have to spread 6ft a part and put a mask on. It’s honestly an insult to ordinary intelligence

• KentuckyBoy
      7:31 am February 24, 2021 Permalink

Glam Girl for the win!

7. Keets
    2:59 am February 24, 2021 Permalink

I may disagree with his risk assessment for catching it twice, then, as a two-time-host, spreading it to the fam where 6/8 have already had it…but, dude is a stud and a solid recruit for the Cats.

(Btw, the packed “Brentwood” game he refers to was at Brentwood High, the public school; not Brentwood Academy right down the road.)

8. just a guy
    9:31 am February 24, 2021 Permalink

He already had covid, everyone in his family already had Covid, so why opt out now?