Should we talk about it? (Monday Show Thread)

We all took Sunday off to concentrate on other things. But it has been well over 24 hours, so now it’s time to gather around in a circle to address what happened on Saturday.

Let’s get through this together.

Join in on the grief counseling by calling (502) 571-1080 or send a text to the KSR Texting Machine at (859) 300-3264.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

72 Comments for Should we talk about it? (Monday Show Thread)

1. runningunnin.454
    10:00 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Did ya’ll see Jax blow that game? Once again, a coach goes into the 4th qtr with a 10 point lead and thinks he can sit on the ball. Damn, I should have been a football coach.
    Was not upset over Florida; they’re a good team with veteran leadership.
    Zion decision sucked, and that’s all I have to say about that.

• Realme
      10:02 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Totally prepared for Zion to pick someone other than us. That it was Duke was a punch in the gut. The game? Well… I don’t know what to say about that. Need JT to call in and tell me the magic words.

• RealCatsFan
      10:11 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I was kind of pissed about Florida, mainly because we should have beat them in football this year and it was College GD. I don’t have much hope of beating them down there. Florida has won at least two games this year on questionable calls – they are becoming the dook of the SEC. I was kind of hoping they would suck for a few years when Donovan left – kind of serve their penance like most teams do after a coaching change. But White appears to be a pretty good coach.

The Zion thing absolutely sucks. Please get me a wooden stake!

• runningunnin.454
      10:14 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Coach K is obviously at the top of his game, but it’s not like he hasn’t had his disappointments…going home early with losses to Lehigh, Mercer, Oregon, and South Carolina had to be embarrassing.
      With his teams this year, and next…the pressure is definitely on him.

• ClutchCargo
      10:16 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Am I the only UK fan who doesn’t feel like I was punched in the gut by ZW picking Duke? Sure, we could have really used him next year, but it was a head-scratcher at worst for me. The UF game was more depressing than infuriating, IMO. Still think this team can get it together, but I have accepted that the ceiling is quite a bit lower than I once believed.

• Realme
      10:19 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

You might be Clutch. Duke. Gets a guy we really wanted, and has the top 3 players in the class. They are the worst, and they’re kicking our butts in recruiting.

• runningunnin.454
      10:23 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

So do we need assistant coaching changes? Last week I watched Wisconsin v Illinois, because Wisky had a 9-10 record, and struck me as very funny; but I saw Orlando sitting on the Illini bench…bummer; somebody give him a call.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I am hoping for a huge disappointment with Duke’s team next year. Maybe a second round exit. If that happens, then it becomes easier for Cal to point to them and say that K underachieves with elite talent.

Regarding Zion – does he do anything other than dunk? I have heard comparisons to LeBron, but LeBron is an extremely skilled player. He can do anything most point guards can do, and he can fill it up from outside. Have a feeling that Zion will dunk a lot and maybe be a good rebounder, but once a team figures out how to take that away from him, he can be limited.

• ClutchCargo
      10:26 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Oh, I definitely hate that Ratface stole a guy that Cal was really after. But it bothers me a lot more that we aren’t pulling in that top 1 or 2 guy we need to make Cal’s system work, regardless of which other school he chooses.

• LeBron is incredibly fit, and Zion doesn’t have his physique, but maybe he’ll hit the gym and develop that. I dunno.

• RealCatsFan
      10:29 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

LeBron was a grown-ass-man coming out of high school.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like in the end, Zion only considered programs that were within about a five hour drive for momma. I’m fine if he is upfront about that, but don’t feel like it was the case.

• J-Dub421
      10:42 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Zion needs to lose 20-25 pounds. He is going to have a rude awakening when he gets to college and finds out how much he’s going to have to run/work.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

With the talent K has this year and next, he better win the title both years, or Duke has massively under-achieved. Also, UK players do better in the NBA across the board than Duke players do.

2. Realme
    10:21 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

A lot of people seem to want to trade out Barbee for Antigua. Thoughts?

• I say YES! Maybe things have changed, but when Barbee was at Auburn he had a rep for NOT being a good promoter of the program like Cal & Bruce Pearl are. If that was and still is true, I don’t know how he can be that good of a recruiter.

• runningunnin.454
      10:24 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Yes, yes, and yes. Don’t know what happened at South Florida; but, who cares?

• J-Dub421
      10:43 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

In a New York minute.

3. Is that a photo of some of us Show Threaders? Haha. Sorry but I had to.

• ClutchCargo
      10:32 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Most likely. Ha! If KSR wanted to show the commenters on the other articles, they could just post a picture of monkeys throwing their poop at people at the zoo.

• runningunnin.454
      10:36 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Clutch; you right, the comments over the weekend were juvenile blather; I’ve never seen such stupidity.
      “Get rid of Cal, he’s finished”. Morons!

4. runningunnin.454
    10:32 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

This may be hot; but, I think Duke is leaning on their academic reputation with some of the parents.
    Some mommas are buying into it, and don’t realize that if the kid doesn’t return in the off seasons or after their pro career…that one year is meaningless.

• RealCatsFan
      10:42 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

They probably have fake classes just like UNCheat.

• J-Dub421
      10:48 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Kyrie Irving legitimately thinks the earth is flat, so a Duke education can’t be all that good.

• He recently said he wasn’t serious about that, that it was an experiment or something to see the reaction. That may be a cover though. Once again, I dunno.

• J-Dub421
      10:56 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I’ve seen several interviews with him on the subject and I think he was serious. If he’s trying to walk it back now, it’s because he’s gotten tired of everyone calling him stupid.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:35 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Honest question: Is Cal too “demonstrative” on the sidelines? I have often joked that you can hear Cal bellowing out in the parking lot, but I wonder if this pushes some kids away, especially the ones who are used to hearing how good they are from everybody. Granted, we probably don’t want prima-donna’s in out program (notice I didn’t use “pre-Madonna 🙂 ), but I wonder if some of the other programs use this as negative recruiting. I am fully aware that most ANY D1 coach yells at players from time to time, but maybe Cal needs to tone it down and do the serious coaching in the huddle.

• runningunnin.454
      10:37 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

You’re right….I’ve said this before; save it for the locker room and the closed practices; not in public.

• J-Dub421
      10:49 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

K curses out his players all the time.

• ClutchCargo
      11:08 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

If hard coaching pushes some kids away, they probably needed to be pushed away. I’m pretty sure he is honest with them about that during the recruiting process when he tells them UK isn’t for everyone.

• RealCatsFan
      11:46 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Clutch, I agree, and like I said, we probably don’t want kids that can be cowered in that way. But I think the fact that everyone in the gym can hear him, this gets used in a negative way by opposing staffs. Coach them hard, but lay it on them in the huddle, not the sidelines.

6. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    10:35 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Hey Im coach K and I coached Team USA, you know like Lebron, Kobe, Melo and a Plumlee and won some gold medals. Hey Im Cal and I coached the u19 team USA with you know Hami Diallo and PJ Washington and we won the bronze medal. Which sounds more appealing to a family? Honestly, thats the recruiting pitch for Duke and UK right now. Yea Cals usual pitch of we send kids to the league we got these players in the allsatr game, thats still working no doubt, but whats more appealing the moms and dads that truly care? They want that continuity of success and the word brotherhood that Zion spoke of, thats scary!

• runningunnin.454
      10:41 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Good points; but, I prefer “family” over the “Brotherhood”.
      The brotherhood sounds like a horror flick.

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      10:43 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I get what you mean, but to have one and done dudes claiming brotherhood is the start to something that looks horrific, for everyone not named Duke.

• RealCatsFan
      10:43 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Brotherhood sounds like something from a vampire flick, which is fitting.

• 4everUKblue
      10:44 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

But brotherhood has always been Kentucky’s thing. KAT talked about it and as recently as Liggings joining the Pelicans it was talked about. We all know dUKe copies everything we do and now they copied the whole brotherhood thing. That pisses me off more than anything else.

• Realme
      10:51 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

That’s what I thought too, 4ever. Another successful Cal strategy being co-opted by Count K.

• 4everUKblue
      10:53 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

We already know K doesn’t have an original recruiting strategy of his own, he steals from Cal all the time.

• J-Dub421
      10:55 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Hi, I’m Coach K. I haven’t had an original idea in 40 years. For the last decade or so all I’ve done is slavishly copy everything Calipari and Kentucky do. Calipari has brilliant ideas so I steal them all and everyone gives me credit for them. Ha ha!

• 4everUKblue
      11:04 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I don’t use twitter or social media at all but I wish someone would share the link on social media of Wall talking about the brotherhood at Kentucky way back in 2014. Also…….. http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/karl-anthony-towns-and-devin-booker-share-a-brotherhood-that/ Expose K for the thief he is!

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      11:15 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Guys its not like Cal trademarked the word brotherhood lol looks were salty hes dominating us but lets not act like we coined the word and its only ours for eternity. The facts are the facts. Since 2000, Duke 3 ships… UK and Cal, 1. It is what it is. Hell in the past 8 years he has 2!

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Thanks for continuing to help Coach K recruit SSP. Keep up the negativity.

• 4everUKblue
      12:31 pm January 22, 2018 Permalink

Sock puppet. I’m sure Cal and several other coaches could match those wins if they were able to get the easy path to the NC that K gets every year. The phrase “It is what it is” is the most overused phrase today, I think people use it either when they don’t know what else to say or they just give up.

• Shagaris Sock Puppet
      1:04 pm January 22, 2018 Permalink

You know what, that’s the problem with fellow UK fans, a lot of fans want to blame everyone else for losses and misfortunes in the Tournament. The refs lost it for us, Duke always gets the easy road. Coach K stole Cals words. There is always an excuse with some people and they just simply cant handle the truth. Instead of simply saying, they were the better team, or we just flat out got out coached or out played. The facts are this, we are losing at our own game to a school that holds just under 10,000 and is known for its academics. So who is really dropping the ball here? I think Cal has gotten a little complacent lately, Hall of Fame induction, 30 for 30, top draft picks year after year. Coach K to me simply took it as a challenge and Cal thought he could just keep doing what hes doing and now he has some ground to make up. Coach K got hungry and Cal was lazy and stuffed on the couch in my eyes.

7. Maybe this will lighten things up a bit. Remember when I posted the photo of the talk show host photo/video bombing Nick Saban after the CFP championship? Here is a video montage of all the games in the past where he’s done that. He’s a little difficult to see in some of them, kind of like “Where’s Waldo?” Notice the 2 songs that are used.

8. RealCatsFan
    10:58 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

If Louisville keeps winning, could that win against them end up being our saving grace to make the tournament? How ironic would that be?

• J-Dub421
      11:04 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I watched part of Louisville’s game against BC yesterday. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry over how much less physical the game was than an SEC game. We may as well be playing football on a basketball court compared to any other league. I am really tired of being the only elite blue blood program who constantly gets the shaft. Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc. do not get the crap beaten out of them game in and game out like we do. They also get all the calls. An opponent shooting twice as many free throws on their home court would never happen to any of those teams.

• runningunnin.454
      11:07 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Their young coach is doing a good job in a very difficult situation; but, their fans don’t seem to appreciate it.

• runningunnin.454
      11:12 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

And J-Dub, somebody explain to me how you shoot 30 three’s, and go to the FT line 25 times.
      Officiating in the OVC, Horizon, and Ivy Leagues is better than the SEC and Big 12.

9. J-Dub421
    11:12 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

UK, 65 total shot attempts, 17 three point attempts, 12 free throws.
    Florida, 66 shot attempts, 30 three point attempts, 25 free throws.
    Someone explain to me how this happens.

• runningunnin.454
      11:13 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Hah, see above….I can’t explain it.

• RealCatsFan
      11:13 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

It’s that home cooking that we get in coRUPPt arena. Puuleeeze.

• 4everUKblue
      11:15 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I got blasted by unbridled for saying anything about the discrepancy in free throws. But something is not right. Maybe its the revenge of the Rooferee.

• ClutchCargo
      11:19 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Our cook is terrible and should be fired immediately! Really, I can’t remember a time when we did have a home court advantage when it comes to favorable treatment by the refs. There has always been at least that one guy who seems determined to not appear to be swayed by the UK crowd.

• RealCatsFan
      11:48 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Our Rupp Arena “cook” to Cal: “No Call for you!”

Today’s Seinfeld reference. 😀

10. RealCatsFan
    11:13 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

So can we get Tom Brady and Count K to both retire? 😀

11. Realme
    11:17 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Is anything sadder than Ryan trying to get the guys to acknowledge the Bachelor while Matt and Shannon nerd out about wrestling?

12. I remember the first time I saw Bellichik (sp?) in a hoodie with cut off sleeves. It wasn’t just that he looked like a hobo. I was wondering about the thought process:

“It’s cold out. I’ll wear a hoodie”.
    “Wait, my arms are hot natured, but not the rest of me, so I’ll cut the sleeves off.”

Or:
    “We’re playing in a dome. It’ll be warm so I’ll go sleeveless.”
    “Wait, my tummy gets cold. I’ll cut the sleeves off that hoodie.”

Weird.

• ClutchCargo
      11:22 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I wonder how he dresses when he is just at home, if he looks like that for press conferences. That thing yesterday looked like something Barney Rubble would wear.

13. KYcats11
    11:20 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

The more I look at it, the more I think that we did run an inbounds play with 2.5 seconds left, and it would have actually worked. If you watch the replay, they set a screen, and quade comes around. He was wide open if he had continued cutting to the lane, but he opted to go to the 3 pt. line. Probably so he could be the hero, and hopefully hit the game winner.

• J-Dub421
      11:37 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

PJ got tackled from behind by his face. Who knows what we were trying to run when that happens.

• RealCatsFan
      11:42 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

I just cannot fathom that Cal and his coaching staff does not have set plays to run or an inbounds play. You don’t coach at the D1 level for 30+ years without knowing that stuff. Now it’s quite possible that he just can’t get the kids to execute it.

14. DrSayre
    11:21 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Im surprised WKYT didnt make Ryan change his phone number

15. secrick
    11:39 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Yep if we had hit a three pointer and won the game all the BS that us spoiled ass Ky fans have been spouting would not have happen. The players are not hustling like they should and thats on the coaches, we have no 3 point shooters that we can count on. This team just does not hustle . That’s on Cal in my opinion. Hope Cal never leaves Ky .

16. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

It’s a shame about the Corbin kid and the racist statements. He had to learn that somewhere, and usually it starts close to home, although it’s possible he picked it up with people he hung around with. Still, kids just don’t seem to realize that ANYTHING that they post on social media WILL get out there to the whole world.

• Laker Cat 18
      12:06 pm January 22, 2018 Permalink

The use of social media in today’s society should be a mandatory class to graduate high school in my opinion, even on a much more broad range than athletics. Times are changing folks.

17. Realme
    11:49 am January 22, 2018 Permalink

Hot take: The crowd singing Sweet Caroline at a sporting event is Lame. UK trying to steal that (from baseball?) is embarrassing.

• Agree. I’ve said before I don’t understand it and it wouldn’t exactly make one of those old ESPN Jock Jams CDs, but I guess folks think it’s a good sing-a-long song, kind of like the soccer fans in England, Scotlamd, etc. when they sing constantly.

18. How about the current Florida coach as our next coach, if he keeps winning?

• Laker Cat 18
      12:04 pm January 22, 2018 Permalink

I’m not sold on White as an elite coach yet. Florida lost to Loyola-Chicago a couple weeks ago. Also not the best recruiter, by a lot.