Seven-Foot Drake’s Thursday Morning Wakeup

shaq-kat

Karl-Anthony Towns stole the show in Kobe Bryant’s farewell to Minnesota last night, scoring 26 points and grabbing 14 rebounds in the Timberwolves win.

But it was what he did after the game that caught the eye of the internet.

In an interview with NBA TV, Towns did his best Shaquille O’Neal impersonation with Shaquille O’Neal looking on in the NBA TV studio. Shaq, being the comedian he is, fired back by calling Towns a “seven-foot Drake.”

That’s a pretty good call.

Last night’s game was fun, yet frustrating.

If you can look past the flurry of lobs and Alex Poythress’ monster game, you’ll see Kentucky still has plenty to work on before its anywhere near the team we hope it becomes. Without piling on them too hard the morning after the win, let’s just say Skal Labissiere is still a disappointment on the glass; Jamal Murray and Tyler Ulis are still ice cold from outside; and the defense still gives up too many easy buckets.

Calipari said afterward, “We’re still a ways away, folks. I was happy about some of the stuff, but we’re not – we don’t come up with stops to put people away. It’s been all year this way.”

The next three games aren’t going to be as easy as they seemed when the schedule was first released. Time to figure it out. Arizona State just beat a very good Texas A&M team, and Louisville is going to give UK all it can handle on the day after Christmas.

Time to figure it out.

I loved this rebound-and-woop!

ulis-rebound

Further proof that Tyler Ulis is good with the basketball.

Jay Williams thinks Texas A&M will win the SEC, also thinks UK should’ve won by 50-70 points last night.

During halftime of last night’s UK-EKU broadcast, Jay Williams, disappointed in UK’s effort in the first half, said he predicts Texas A&M will win the Southeastern Conference. It sounded as if the former Dukie was already giving up on Kentucky’s season, though he admitted it is a very young team.

Williams believes the Cats should’ve won last night’s game by 50, which was never going to happen. He then went as far to say, “A veteran team comes out and wins this game by 70 points.”

Easy there, Jay.

How bizarre was the satellite play-by-play last night?

ESPN tried calling the game via satellite last night by having Bob Picozzi and Kara Lawson talk over a video feed in a studio in Bristol, not at the actual game. I will try to catch the replay later today because I’m interested to see how it sounded. I assume it sounded quiet behind their commentary, unless ESPN piped in background noise from Rupp Arena.

What did you all think?

Vanderbilt lost to Dayton at home last night.

Vandy dropped its third game in two weeks Wednesday night when it lost to Dayton, 72-67, in Nashville. Wade Baldwin missed an open layup with 12 seconds to go that would’ve tied the game; he then turned it over on the next possession after two made free throws by Dayton.

Ranked No. 18 in the preseason, Vanderbilt is now 1-3 in its last four games with losses to Kansas, Baylor and the Flyers.

To be fair, Kansas and Baylor are top 25 teams, and the Commodores were without Luke Kornet, the team’s third-leading scorer and second-leading rebounder, last night.

Wisconsin lost to Milwaukee at home.

Milwaukee snapped a 22-game losing streak to the Badgers with the upset victory in Madison last night. Bo Ryan’s bunch is now 6-4 on the year after a No. 17 preseason ranking, but that does not ease the pain of last season’s Final Four.

KSR radio on the way…

Get a little work done then tune in at 10 am.

Article written by Drew Franklin

15 Comments for Seven-Foot Drake’s Thursday Morning Wakeup

1. RealCatsFan
    9:29 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I’m going to go on record right now to say that I hate SEC basketball. Vandy is just the latest example of an SEC team losing in disappointing fashion to middling out of conference opponents, bringing down the overall RPI for the league in the process. But you can bet your azz that they will play out of their minds against UK, especially in their home arena, and then if they manage to win UK’s ranking will slide , but if UK wins, all we will hear is how bad the teams are in the SEC. I’m so sick of it – I really wish we played in a different conference. Would give us a chance in football as well.

• J-Dub421
      10:05 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

It happens everywhere we play. Look at UCLA, they played out of their minds against us. That was the same team that lost to Monmouth and Wake Forest.

2. Catsby80
    9:34 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I usually think Jay Williams is pretty level headed with his analysis, but he has really been pissing me off lately. His homer-ism is rearing its ugly head big time this year. First he picks Duke to beat UK – okay, I can understand that. Neither team had really been tested and Duke has a good team. Fine. But to come out and say that A&M is going to win the SEC is absurd. What have they done to prove that they will win the SEC, Jay?

• J-Dub421
      9:44 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Preach!

3. RealCatsFan
    9:58 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

There was a UofL homer on the Jerry Eaves show that follows KSR on 1080 who predicted that UofL is going to beat down UK this year, and that this is going to lead to UK losing several members of their recruiting class and ultimately Cal leaving for the NBA. Talk about delusional!

• J-Dub421
      10:03 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

Boy will that guy be disappointed.

• Catsby80
      10:04 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

can’t fix stupid, realcats. don’t even bother trying. the line bearded, crown royal drinking folks in louisville will soon be reminded why they are little bro. all in due time, my friend.

4. CalsCats3.0
    10:22 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

This is the first I was aware they weren’t in the building. I watched the whole game last night and never thought anything sounded different. I don’t really care for Lawson, mainly because she was a Vol. How can you expect a Vol to not be rooting for UK to lose? I don’t like clearly bias people against the home team calling games. It doesn’t matter if they do well at covering it or not, we know what they really want.

As for the Louisville game, it definitely will be tougher than we originally expected.

• Mc12
      11:04 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I actually thought Lawson did a good job. She was unbiased and knows her stuff. Picozzi on the other hand, sounded like an idiot.
      Just my opinion.

• J-Dub421
      11:25 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I’d take Lawson over Jay Williams any day.

5. bluecat15
    10:26 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

I agree with jay in that we have a long way to go, but that means duke really sucks

6. Yev
    11:41 am December 10, 2015 Permalink

If I didn’t know ahead of time, I am not sure that I would have noticed the announcers not being there. But there were a few odd things. Perhaps these are jsut a result of Bob & Kara not being the A team, or even the B team.

I thought that the announcers talked a bit too much compared to normal announcers (maybe it felt more like Radio Announcers). In fact, it felt a bit like two people at home watching the game and talking through it, more than 2 announcers being there.

I felt like there was a slight delay. There were times where Bob was giving the play by play, and I felt a few of his comments were about 1 or 2 seconds after when I expected it to be said. For example, Ulis with the steal might nto have been said until Ulis had already dribbled a fwe times.

7. LMU
    12:56 pm December 10, 2015 Permalink

The most noticeable time that they weren’t in Rupp was when the double technical happened. They were too busy showing Skal highlights and only mentioned there was a situation when the PA told it. No camera angle of it or context of why they were angry with one another. Something an in house crew could’ve seen.

Lawson is a good commentator and I would even say she is pro-UK

8. Shawn Kemp
    4:12 pm December 10, 2015 Permalink

Pretty sure Picozzi was drunk. He incorrectly announced AP’s double double about eight minutes early as well as weirdly lamenting on the long-term effects of leg cramps…

@dallonadams

9. Biglaw Dawgin'
    4:32 pm December 10, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t notice the play by play. I didn’t even know that was a thing, but I definitely hope it doesn’t become a trend. Something good about having the announcers sitting courtside so they can hear the refs/coaches. On another note, Kara Lawson is a really good announcer, I liked her commentary. She knows bball.