Season Never Ends’ Pre-Order News and Views

KSR Post. Week of 11.3

The Kentucky Basketball 2015 Wall calendar is here. That’s right – we said “Wall calendar!”

Rest assured we’ve still got the best moments in UK basketball history on the days they happened – including games from UK’s 2014 NCAA championship game run – along with Top Ten lists, player birthdays, Follow Fridays and a ton of really cool things you’ll be sure to love.

Use the coupon code “KSR” to take $3 off the retail price of $14.95. Buy three calendars and the shipping is on us!

You can find the calendar at Kentucky Korner, Kennedy’s and more retailers will be added soon. You can also reserve your copy now at seasonneverends.com

Created by four UK grads who love the program and the school as much as you. Go Big Blue!

***********************************

Good evening, friends. After a day of travel, errands, and that inevitable last trip to Kroger the night before Thanksgiving, I am finally settled in my parents’ den in Danville. As we married people do, I’m heading to the first of two Thanksgivings in the morning, so let’s go through the day’s news before my mom realizes I forgot something at Kroger and have to go back.

Neal Brown is a finalist for the Troy job

Tonight’s headline news is maybe the most upsetting to me. Today, FootballScoop.com reported that our own Neal Brown is a finalist for the head coaching job at Troy, where he was an assistant from 2006-2009. Brown and LSU running backs coach Frank Wilson are reportedly the leading contenders, and the announcement will be made on Monday. Mark Stoops was mum on the subject when asked after practice:

“We have good coaches, so you know, I’d hate to lose any of the guys. I think we have a good staff that work extremely hard. But with that, you’d rather have people coming after them for moving on then any other reason. So we’ll see what happens.”

It won’t be the end of the world if Neal goes to Troy, but I know I will personally be a little disappointed not to have a homegrown Air Raid disciple on the sideline, not to mention a fellow Danvillian. Maybe a dozen Burke’s Bakery doughnuts will persuade him to stay?

Saturday’s showdown creeps closer

Although I don’t think many UK fans expect an upset on Saturday, it was still good to see plenty of UK blue as I made my rounds in Lexington and Danville today. Stoops told reporters that the staff is doing some special things this week to remind the team of the rivalry, including showing them old clips from years past and inviting former Cats to come speak to them about the history of the UK/UofL series. I would hope at this point that the team wouldn’t need any extra motivation headed into their last chance for bowl eligibility, but stoking the fire can’t hurt.

Dakari’s got a new hairstyle. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2014-11-26 at 10.00.11 PM

Jury’s still out, but I do like that cell phone case.

The mystery home and home series is revealed: UCLA

We’ve been teasing a mystery home-and-home basketball with an esteemed program for a few days, and today, it was finally announced. Starting next season, UK will travel to Pauley Pavilion in Los Angeles for the front end of a two-year home-and-home series with the UCLA, one of several marquee games in 2016:

Duke (in Chicago)
Ohio State (in Brooklyn)
at UCLA
Louisville in Rupp
South Florida (in Miami)
Big 12 True Road Game (most likely Kansas)

Speaking of the Bruins…

UCLA and UNC both lost today

It was not a good day for UK’s future opponents in the Battle 4 Atlantis. UCLA lost to Oklahoma 75-65 and UNC lost to Butler 72-66. Add in the news that two of Providence’s guards, including starting point guard Kris Dunn, are doubtful for Sunday’s game with ankle injuries and UK’s heavyweight non-conference schedule is suddenly looking ten pounds lighter. Plus, Cleveland State gave Louisville all they wanted and more tonight, holding the Cards to only 45 points. Before we get on the braggy horse, let’s remember that Cleveland State also gave Kentucky fits last season, with the Cats only winning 68-61; however, they also lost to Savannah State, a team Louisville just beat by 60 points, earlier this season. So, who knows.

Who wears short shorts?

@SportsCenter

St. John’s Chris Obekpa wears short shorts!

I don’t recognize the UK campus anymore

I spent part of my day in Lexington, and used my favorite shortcut from Nicholasville Road to Euclid Avenue through UK’s campus and barely recognized it anymore. From the stadium to the village-like clusters of new dorms, UK looks like a totally different place these days.

Both teams will get plenty of turkey tomorrow

Both the Stoops and the Caliparis are hosting Thanksgiving dinners for their teams tomorrow, which history tells us means they should have a plumber on standby. The football team will start their day with practice in the morning, Thanksgiving dinner together at the Nutter Training Center in the afternoon, and the evening off to spend with friends, nearby family, or the Stoops family at their house. How many players is Stoops expecting for a post-turkey hang?

“I don’t know. That’s the problem with these guys. We’re going to have a dinner right afterwards here for the whole group and then I told them my house was open. So I may get anywhere from two to 100, who knows? I don’t know.”

Something tells me Chantel would liked to know. Come on, guys. RSVP.

Meanwhile, Enes Kanter is ready for Christmas

And with that, I will say goodnight. Things will be a bit slower tomorrow as we take some time off to be with our families, but don’t worry, we’ll be back on Friday to hate all things Louisville and get you ready for Saturday.

Gobbles up.

12 Comments for Season Never Ends’ Pre-Order News and Views

1. cats paw
    6:32 am November 27, 2014 Permalink

Neal Brown needs to go! He accepted the job and pay raises under the pretense of building up the program and then tries to leave for the first opportunity at a mid level program. Even if he doesn’t get it, how long do you expect him to stay now? If the program was to ever get on its feet here he will be gone in a heartbeat! It’s like knowing your girlfriend is actively looking for your replacement and you keep showering her with gifts in hopes she will stay just a bit longer……

• DC Cat
      10:52 am November 27, 2014 Permalink

Omg. We have some of the worst “fans” in the world. Why would Neal leave? Gee, I don’t know, maybe it’s because of those like you (here and elsewhere) who do nothing but bitch about him. Never mind he was given little to work with or that we’ve improved from 2 wins to 5. Never mind he’s a KY guy who’ sheen successful in his career and clearly knows what he’s doing.

Dickie V was right. We have a handful of horrible people who tarnish the 99% of great fans. Never happy or satisfied. Always willing to pretend to be a better coach than the coaches themselves. Incapable of civil discourse. A tiny minority for sure, but far too vocal They’ll cost us a coach as well as a prized recruit someday. Guaranteed.

Btw, if Neal does take the job, he should be congratulated. It does not make him a traitor. It does, however, give him a stepping stone to a better job in the future.

• cats paw
      11:15 am November 27, 2014 Permalink

Yes Dickie V was spot on. But what you don’t don’t grasp is that he was talking about you! The one’s that think UK is the Utopia of the sports world and lash out at anyone who thinks they shouldn’t be rated #1 or predict they could possibly lose a game one day!
      The fans already cost this program it’s prize recruit….PETRINO. But you didn’t want him because he would up and leave our program when a better offer came along????? Duh! But now it’s ok if Brown does after accepting a little raise? Duh!

• BeastCat
      5:03 pm November 27, 2014 Permalink

cats paw – You are a punk troll. I bet you have zero friends and you have mommy do everything but wipe your @ss for you while you sit, be lazy ,play on the computer and never work. There is no way you have a job as much as you comment at all times of the day on KSR(Always with a negative spin on something UK related) Go TF Away! …………….Rant Over.

• DC Cat
      6:40 pm November 27, 2014 Permalink

Cats paw… Wrong. But, believe / misconstrue what you will.

• theSkinny81
      11:06 am November 28, 2014 Permalink

We should hire Petrino as our Offensive Coordinator. /s

2. BigBlueBoom
    10:06 am November 27, 2014 Permalink

Dakari’s hair: No. He looks like Crazy Eyes from Orange is the New Black.

3. msnthrop
    11:43 am November 27, 2014 Permalink

What is the best Barnhart can offer an assistant coach in the context of the current 7-16 two year run? Brown is finishing year 2 of a 3 year deal at something around 550k per year and at that level he was the 33rd highest paid assistant in the nation this season. Highest head coach salaries in the Sun Belt are just over a million so I’d guess Troy is offering Brown at least 700k over 4, maybe 5 years. I don’t think UK is willing to match that in years or salary. So the choice in front of him is finish his current contract of 550k for one year, wait until December for a potential extension from UK for maybe 650k and for maybe three more years (650k would make him the 16th highest paid assistant football coach in the nation by salary), or take the deal from Troy which would likely have both a higher salary and more security. The question for Barnhart has to be, given the improvement seen thus far, how much longer until the UK football team can be ranked in the top 25…because at some point he has to justify paying his coaches top 20 level salaries (3.5 million average for Stoops with the new contract puts him as the 16th highest paid NCAA football coach) for ranked 100 level performance. He did it for Stoops, for whatever reason (Personally I think it was huge mistake that unintentionally torpedoed this team when they were half way through this season), but I don’t think he’ll do it for Brown and Eliot…

• cats paw
      12:21 pm November 27, 2014 Permalink

For whatever reason he has decided to look at other opportunities, I think he must be granted his wish! We cannot plan a future with him at UK after HE has told us he would rather be somewhere else. That don’t mean we have to hate him or not be happy for him if he is doing what he feels is best for him!!! But it does mean that WE need to do whats best for us also and plan for the future without him..

• BeastCat
      5:05 pm November 27, 2014 Permalink

cats paw – ^refer to my above comment^

4. Hermes
    12:27 pm November 28, 2014 Permalink

I have nothing against Brown but I must admit I don’t see how or why he is any big deal. I realize KY is rebuilding but the offense has been awful for several weeks, now. Again, I don’t blame Brown for it all and he may be an adequate to solid OC but I don’t care if he stays or goes. Let him run off to Troy if that is what’s best for him. If you want to see good offense, look south to WKU where Jeff Brohm has a real offense.

5. satcheluk
    10:45 am November 29, 2014 Permalink

The ignorance here is astounding.