– The No. 15 UK volleyball team put away no, 19 Michigan State in five sets, 3-2 (29-27, 15-25, 25-22, 23-25, 15-12) in front of an amazing crowd of almost 2,000 fans. Sophomore libero Ashley Dusek actually finished the match with a crazy number of 34 digs, the most ever in a five-set match in UK history. The cats play again at 10:30 against IUPUI and at 7:30 against Little Rock.
– Kentucky women’s soccer recorded another shutout with a 3-0 final score over UNC Greensboro. Senior captain Courtney Raetzman led the Cats with a goal and two assists. The Cats out-shot the Titans 17-3 and had a 5-1 edge in corner kicks. Toledo will arrive in Lexington tomorrow for a 6 p.m. match against the Cats.
– A last minute goal from Napo Matsoso pushed the No. 14 Cats over Valpo for a 2-1 edge Friday. Over 2k supporters attended Friday’s match, the second-largest home opener in program history (to be fair the best was against Louisville in 2005). Valpo also opened scoring six minutes before the half.
– I miss AJ Reed. The ex-cat went 4-for-4 in a win and hit his (minor-league leading) 31st homer of the season. Reed scored four runs in the 17-6 route of Midland to improve hiss batting average to .352 in 32 games with the team. He’s also on a seven-game hitting streak.
– We all know it’s hard to put rivalries aside, but that is exactly what Franklin County and Western Hills have done for Franklin soccer player Bradley Camic. Camic has been in a medically-induced coma after collapsing on the field earlier this month. The schools said they expected to raise around $10,000 for the cause.