Ryan’s back on today’s KSR (Wednesday Show Thread)

ksr-logo

After pinch-hitting for him yesterday, I am now out of Ryan Lemond’s way so he can return to the show. He will be on to chat with Matt about the latest news around Big Blue Nation — everything from baseball to basketball roster to NBA combine to football recruiting and maybe a little off-topic stuff.

Join in on the fun by calling (502) 571-1080.

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

affiliate-list

Article written by Drew Franklin

62 Comments for Ryan’s back on today’s KSR (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. Realme
    10:11 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Shocker! Matt doesn’t understand tires all that well.

• runningunnin.454
      10:21 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

He obviously doesn’t know there are different grades of tires…you get what you pay for.

• RealCatsFan
      10:21 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

The only thing metrosexuals like Matt know about tires is that they are round (unless they are flat like Matt’s).

• RealCatsFan
      10:22 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Yep, rg, you sure do. Big fan of Michelin’s here. I had a set of MTX-MS all terrain tires on our Sequoia, and I got over 90K out of them. Now there was very little tread left on them, but they sure lasted, and performed well.

• RealCatsFan
      10:24 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Kind of shocked that Matt seems to know what an axle is, but not at all surprised that none of these guys are familiar with bearings. I think I still have grease under my fingernails from repacking wheel bearings.

2. ukjaybrat
    10:11 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

you know what would be awesome ?

if new comments auto-loaded so i didn’t have to keep refreshing the website every 5 minutes looking for new comments. i know other wordpress blogs have done it. don’t know how easy it is though.

• Good idea, but then this site would take even longer to load.

• Booby Petrino
      10:55 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

wouldn’t that reduce the clicks? They aren’t gonna reduce the hits!

• ukjaybrat
      11:37 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

i dunno. it depends how the clicks work (and i do NOT know how it works on this website).
      some places get money for each click. so yes it would negatively affect them.
      but some places only get money for each new click in a given time. so every time i refresh it would only count as one.

3. Laker Cat 18
    10:13 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Big Black passed away at 45 years old of an apparent heart attack. Fun times with KSR picking on him a couple years ago, big Louisville fan. RIP.

4. Realme
    10:14 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

UGGGHHHHH I am so tired of the speculating about Diallo. No one knows for sure what he’ll do. Let’s just wait until he lets us know.

• runningunnin.454
      10:28 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

He’s gone; and, this is all the fault of the NBA. His shot is suspect, and that’s absolutely necessary in the league today. I would hate to see him languish in the D League for two years.

• Realme
      10:32 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

You’re probably right. The local sports media will not stop making it sound like it’s a toss up, so it can be a story, though, and that drives me nuts. No amount of “expert” discussion will have any effect, nor will it give us a final answer before he does, but they just keep going over it.

• A shooting guard who can’t shoot.

• Booby Petrino
      10:41 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

only two more weeks of speculation! thank goodness. I don’t even care at this point, I just want the speculation over with.

• Realme, and as I commented last night, EVERY time there is a post about Hami, you can cut & paste the comments (on both sides):

1) “He has to do what’s best for himself”, blah, blah, blah.
      2) “It’s good for recruiting if he’s lottery without even playing”, blah blah, blah.
      3) “Cal should have played him then”, blah, blah, blah.

• J-Dub421
      10:54 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

I’m just sick of all the idiots who think they know more than Coach Cal. Cal isn’t infallible, but he knows waaaayyyy more about basketball that I do, or than anyone in our fan base does.

5. runningunnin.454
    10:23 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Derek should stick to basketball…he throws a baseball like a girl.

• Booby Petrino
      10:42 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Hey now. I can throw a baseball pretty damn good. You would probably say I throw “like a boy” but actually, I just throw like a normal person.

• RealCatsFan
      11:35 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

HaHa. If you saw my 4’11” 85 lb 13-year-old daughter hit a volleyball or throw a ball, you wouldn’t say that. 🙂

• runningunnin.454
      11:57 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

No offense, no gender war here. That was just a common taunt for opposing pitchers when I played in HS.

6. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    10:23 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Not UK related, but ESPNs Chris Bermans wife passed away on his 62nd birthday! To put things into perspective, enjoy your time and appreciate your loved ones! RIP Mrs Berman and Big Black!

7. Realme
    10:26 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

I’d like to re-listen to the Big Black episode(s). He genuinely did not like Drew (probably because Drew will own you if you get into a war of words with him).

8. ky196
    10:29 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Spent half an hour on hold waiting for my turn, Wes was a dial tone, next I get hung up on. Now I know what’s going on with line 5!

• J-Dub421
      10:34 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Ouch. You got the curse of line 5.

9. ky196
    10:34 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Diallo will be back because he wants the most money he can sign for as a rookie. He would almost certainly be a top ten pick next year and no one is going to pick him that high in this draft, assuming he doesn’t get hurt.

10. ky196
    10:39 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Saw the responses to Tyler’s retweet from Cal’s “This will be the youngest, least experienced team I’ve coached”. Sick of the negative responses to Cal’s tweets, like he planting excuses and what freshman could he have recruited with more experience!

• Realme
      10:43 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

There’s a whole crowd of people that are just waiting for the next championship to happen, so they can complain that Cal hasn’t got us 3.

• runningunnin.454
      10:46 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

This is going to be an exciting team to watch; a couple more pieces to the puzzle, and they could be scary good, freshmen notwithstanding.

11. Realme
    10:42 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

You could make a successful pay-per-view out of Matt vs Rick bball game.

12. RealCatsFan
    10:45 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Cal has had at least one, maybe two, hip replacements. No way he can play competitive hoops. Dude is lucky to be able to lumber down the court.

Props to Rick for still being able to be on the court at his age. I hope I can still get on a volleyball court without embarrassing myself too much at the age I am now – couldn’t imagine how hard that is with an extra ten years on me.

13. J-Dub421
    10:45 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Cardiac issues could be genetic in Big Black’s family, but his clearly being 100+ pounds overweight surely didn’t help anything.

• RealCatsFan
      11:12 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

I recall a conversation I had one time with an oncologist about genetics and lifestyle in relation to chances of developing cancer. He used the following analogy of walking through a lightning storm. Some of us are lucky enough to be born with rubber boots on, and some of us are not. And likewise, some of us choose to hunch down and stay as low as possible to avoid the lightning, and some of us choose to walk across the top of a ridge and stand under the tallest tree. It is often a combination of those factors.

Ironic that yesterday I learned that my sister-in-law was diagnosed with breast cancer. Seems like it is all around us.

• J-Dub421
      11:15 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

That sucks. Hope your sister in law is okay.

• RealCatsFan
      11:32 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

I think they caught it early enough. Just having to deal with the uncertainty and the pain and hassle of the treatments is taxing, though.

14. Realme
    10:52 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Shannon was extra mad because his precious could have been hurt.

15. secrick
    11:03 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Is this the best class Cal has brought in?

• runningunnin.454
      11:09 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

If we get Bamba and Johnson….no doubt.

• Realme
      11:10 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Not yet, imo, but add a Diallo return or Bamba and then yes. Otherwise it’s pretty even with the twins, Randle class I think. If you use hindsight to factor in how previous guys turned out, that’s different of course.

• Realme
      11:11 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

How cool is it that we get to keep having more years where that remains a valid question?

16. Realme
    11:14 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

It’s going to be SO KSR if they forget to have Ryan tell his Bromley dream.

17. secrick
    11:16 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Realme, You mentioned the Twins, do you think they live up to the hype.

• Realme
      11:27 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

That’s really hard to answer. Regular season of their freshmen year, no. Epic post season followed by 38-1, yes.

• J-Dub421
      11:28 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

The Harrisons took us to back to back final fours, and yet people hate them. I just don’t get it.

• Realme
      11:35 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

“This is the point where he always hits it!” That run for me was the most fun, most exciting multi-game experience of the Cal era besides the 2012 championship run beating Louisville in the final four. How anyone doesn’t adore them for that is beyond me. Obviously the 38-1 run was a big deal, but that’s more of a painful memory for me.

• runningunnin.454
      11:37 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

The Harrisons will never set the NBA on fire; but, they were great college players; and we’ll never forget the threes against UL, Michigan, and Wisconsin.

18. secrick
    11:16 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

I meant to say *lived*

• runtsfan
      11:41 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Nice that you care enough to correct your typing mistakes, but hey, this is social media, right? You just have to get close, like guessing age or weight at the Fair.

19. Realme
    11:19 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

For $10 more, free truffles?

20. J-Dub421
    11:27 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Ndamukong Suh.

21. RealCatsFan
    11:28 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Never really understood the hatred for Jeff Gordon amongst NASCAR fans. Kyle Busch I can understand, but Gordon never seemed to do anything too outrageous – besides win.

• J-Dub421
      11:38 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

People are jealous of success. Matt is right about that being why people hate Lebron, Brady, and Cal. Pure jealousy.

• RealCatsFan
      11:43 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub, some would say that you could add Duke to this group, but I would argue that the hatred for Duke stems from the fact that they seem to get all the breaks to ensure their success, and they try to hold themselves up as being above the “unwashed masses”, when they are in fact just as dirty as every other program. They just don’t get punished for it.

• Sentient Third Eye
      12:02 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Gordon was a metrosexual pretty boy in NASCAR. He was asking for it!

22. RealCatsFan
    11:30 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Laughing at what Matt is saying about UofL fans claiming the 2012 banner is coming down. You can’t spell “deLUsional” without a U and an L, and you can’t spell “adULtery” without it either. 😀

• secrick
      11:56 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Is it coming down?

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Rick, I was talking about what Matt said on the radio. Some UofL fans were claiming that the UK 2012 banner should come down because of Leon Smith’s transgressions. He never even worked under Cal.

23. RealCatsFan
    11:45 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Cops who recklessly speed for no reason garners the same kind of disdain from me as people who are wealthy and think that because they are wealthy they are simply “better” than everyone else and therefore entitled to special treatment.

• runningunnin.454
      11:52 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

If it’s not an emergency situation, it’s reckless driving. Even in an emergency, discretion is a must.

• RealCatsFan
      11:59 am May 10, 2017 Permalink

Maybe it’s an emergency if there is a fresh batch of donuts coming out of the oven and they want to get there before they get cold.