Rupp Arena is No. 4 on Athlon’s Top 10 College Arenas

athlon-rupp

Trailing only Allen Fieldhouse, Cameron Indoor Arena, and Hinkel Fieldhouse, the fabulous yet soon to be renovated Rupp Arena ranks fourth on Athlon Sports’ best arenas in college basketball poll. Athlon polled a dozen college basketball media members on their favorite venues to watch a game, and then released the individual ballots with the final list.

ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla and Dave Lamont left Rupp Arena off their top 10 lists, while Pat Forde was the only one of the 12 to include Louisville’s KFC Yum! Center. Forde ranked the Yum! Center at No. 3 ahead of Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina and Kentucky. Color me shocked.

[Athlon Sports | The Top Arenas in College Basketball: Experts Poll]

Article written by Drew Franklin

18 Comments for Rupp Arena is No. 4 on Athlon’s Top 10 College Arenas

1. DTuck
    12:15 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Actually, Dick Weiss had Rupp at #4 but labeled it Duke’s home court.

• Drew Franklin
      12:17 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Didn’t catch that. Thanks.

• DTuck
      12:22 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Missed it the first time myself. Dick is getting up there in age.

2. inside info
    12:15 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Since it has been so slow around KSR recently, how about a Steel Cage Match between Cutler’s Mustache and Drew’s Eyebrow(s)?

3. RICK
    12:18 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

forde does look good with that chicken bucket on his head at the yum.

4. paintsville'sdairyqueen
    12:26 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Sitting here litening to the show that follows KSR on 1080 and it’s just sad. The co host (whoever he is) told the host that he is giddy and can’t sleep at night at thought of Petrino coming back to Louisville. Wow!!! The fans are even worse. Gotta love the hypocards!!

5. david
    12:30 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

The three Arenas ranked ahead of us are all smaller than Rupp. While other large facilities like Syracuse, Louisville and North Carolina did not rank as high in this poll at least. I think that we should concentrate on the quality of the fan experience at the new Rupp and not how many we can squeeze in there. As someone who has sit near the top on the stadium bleachers next to large people, I would rather stay home with HD than do that for most games. You are seeing smaller attendance anyway even at Rupp. If we lose a few thousand seats to luxury boxes and cushioned armed chairs then so be it. Some might not like that Louisville would then have a higher capacity arena and we would probably lose the annual attendance record as well. What is more important: comfort or pride? Both need to be considered but the box is only so big and it can’t get much steeper. Tickets are expensive so the arena experience needs to great to make going worth it over watching on TV.

• Boogie
      12:36 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

But you continue to show up to every game? Everybody wants to sit front row. If you can’t watch a 90 minute game on a bleacher then stop going? But you won’t, you just like to complain in the comments section of a blog.

• Jomani
      1:18 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Boogie, they’re just saying they want better quality of seats, not front row seats. They also never said they go to every game. You’ve got the same reading comprehension level as these UNC kids.

6. Eastern Parkway
    12:35 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Leave it to Forde to be the only one to include the Yum Center. Idiot!!!

• BB
      1:06 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Was just about to comment on that. He’s such a freaking joke- it’s laughable at this point.

7. bigblue091812
    12:47 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Maybe for the media, but as a fan I went to a UNC Duke game at Duke just to see it, and yes I did wear a UK shirt. The place is small, hot and stuffy. Half of the fans are dumbass acting students. So, as a fan I thought it sucked. I also went to a game at Allen Fieldhouse several years ago and I also would ranked it #1.

8. wheels
    12:55 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Kind of baffled that the Carrier Dome made some of those ballots. That arena felt soulless when I watched a game there.

9. JaredCarterIsMyHomeboy
    1:28 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

No one would have ever mentioned Hinkel before Brad Stevens.

10. jatr4
    1:29 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

In my limited experience of attending games in Rupp, I think it is the worst viewing experience I have ever had attending a game–anywhere. Sitting in the 35th row of the upper deck is really a BAD experience.

• Daniel
      1:58 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

That is not the point though

11. JPCat15
    2:44 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Allen Fieldhouse is a great venue. Other than that, I would put Rupp as 2. I have been to Duke, UNC, Madison Square Garden, IU, all SEC venues and Hinkle. Cameron is the most overrated joint in the world. Think of a little bit larger version of Henry County High School’s gym. It truly is just a large high school gym. What is funny is that during a televised game they only show the one side of the gym with all the students acting like they have to go to the bathroom real bad. If you ever got to see the other side of the court you would be shocked at how sedate the crowd is. I can get past the point that it is a glorified high school gym.
    BTW, folks on this site seem to constantly want to bash Rupp. It is an outstanding college basketball experience. It should be on any college fan’s bucket list. Cameron was on my bucket list, and it certainly was a huge letdown.

12. Teachable Mo'
    4:57 pm January 8, 2014 Permalink

Miami of Ohio. Best venue for hoops I’ve ever been in. Comfortable seats. Good sight lines. Collegiate atmosphere.