Rupp Arena ice cream is overrated. Yeah, I said it.

I have a controversial statement I would like to make and I hope it doesn’t offend too many of you, because it will offend some. This is something that’s been weighing me down for a couple of weeks and I want to get it off my chest so I can breathe again.

Rupp Arena ice cream is severely overrated.

I tried Rupp Arena ice cream for the first time at the NCAA women’s regional late last month. It was my first time attending a basketball game in Rupp as a fan in about seven years, so I was excited to enjoy the whole fan experience, away from a computer in the press room.

First order of business was trying the ice cream. I’m as guilty as anyone for calling it the best thing ever; I’ve been hyping Rupp Arena ice cream on the site for years, but I was only feeding into the hype based off the long lines I see at every game. I had never actually tried it myself.

And then I did. I devoured it. And I was soooo disappointed.

Now let me be clear: It’s fine. I didn’t hate it. But it’s ice cream. It tastes like every other soft serve ice cream on the planet. Nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong with it at all. But I can no longer put it on the pedestal it has been sitting on for the last several years. I know it’s a big part of the Rupp experience for a lot of you and your families, and I’m not judging you for waiting in those long lines to pay too much money for it, but I don’t get it. Maybe my taste buds were off. Maybe I should’ve paced myself and not tried to swallow it whole. Or maybe none of you have been to McDonald’s.

There. I said it.

I’m sorry.

Have a nice weekend.

That felt good.

Article written by Drew Franklin

20 Comments for Rupp Arena ice cream is overrated. Yeah, I said it.

1. Catapult
    8:35 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

I have to agree. After hearing so much about it, it was a big disappointment. Probably better than McDonalds but not as good as DQ or Wendys.

2. If you like chocolate and Reeses Cups, try Mayfield Moose Tracks if you haven’t.

3. Gazza
    8:51 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

Over priced chalk water. McDonald’s is way better.

• catdaddyd
      10:38 pm April 23, 2016 Permalink

How much is it?

4. thelexcat
    8:55 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

Fortunate enough to attend about 10-12 games a season. Never tried the ice cream. You know why? I come in from 20 degree weather and a number of people are eating fricken ice cream? That’s the last thing I want. Thanks for the peace of mind Drew. Now I don’t have to wiggle myself through the crowd and stand in line for ice cream – in winter.

5. GroundControlToNumber9
    9:01 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

You got jobbed Franklin.

You see, the concessions changed the vendor. It’s not the same as it use to be.

From the late 1970’s until mid 1990’s (at least) those were the years I grew up having it each game.

They also use to put chocolate in the cone right before they served the softness.

Too bad, your talking about something that isn’t even it.

6. GroundControlToNumber9
    9:03 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

It’s like talking about the Louisville Basketball team and acting as if they don’t have trailer park strip shows going on each night when the players go back to the dorm.

Let’s live in reality here people! The soft-serve is no the same brand.

7. david8577
    9:09 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

How. Dare. You.

8. whatwasthat
    9:13 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

I’ve seen a lot of people bash you on this board Drew, for lots of different reasons, but I’ve never said a word until now. First I have never tried the ice cream at Rupp, sounds like to much work for the payoff. Second why would anyone be offended by your opinion, oh wait I forgot we are a nation of limp wristed whiners. Third where in the heck did you learn to eat ice cream that way, that’s just weird, and I say you are probably right that no one should give your opinion any weight whatsoever.

9. onsides
    9:36 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

It sounds like Mitch is breaking the news through KSR that there will be no more ice cream next season. You know, since this happened last month…

10. hartlines left arm
    10:13 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

Drew if you were a lady eating ice cream like that I’d have to take you home with me. 😀

11. UKCatAttack
    10:51 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

You should have gotten chocolate and vanilla swirl. Obviously if you just get vanilla it isn’t going to live up to expectations. If you’re looking for plain vanilla Chic-Fil-A and McDonalds win hands down. Swirl on the other hand… Rupp Arena has the edge despite the lines and the price.

12. GimmeBlue
    11:14 pm April 22, 2016 Permalink

Yeah because it’s generic soft serve. Ice Cream it is not! Let’s upgrade to Graeter’s folks!

13. MattRice
    12:51 am April 23, 2016 Permalink

I went to Rupp for the Kings/Pelicans scrimmage game in the fall. I did partake in a swirl ice cream cone, and I thought in terms of soft serve it was pretty good. Maybe it was the atmosphere, but I was quite pleased with it. If anything it was worth its money.

I bet if they served it at Taco Bell you would be singing a different tune, Drew.

14. mapcatfan
    12:52 am April 23, 2016 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. I had to try it, just once. Didn’t see what all of the fuss was about. At all.

15. klw1234
    12:55 am April 23, 2016 Permalink

To paraphrase Coach Cal, you people are insane…the rupp arena ice cream is a state and national treasure that should celebrated. You can thank me after your next cone…or don’t get one and let the sadness commence. Choose wisely BBN.

16. Catapult
    9:55 am April 23, 2016 Permalink

The swirl is what I tried. Rather bland. I’ll save my money from now on. I just buy it for the 2 nice ladies who sit behind me as they seem to like it.

17. not
    10:35 am April 23, 2016 Permalink

It’s because you had the vanilla which is garbage. The chocolate is way better, although it’s not as good as it was about 6 or 7 years ago when they had a different vendor (flav o rich and not Borden, I think). That was when the legend of Rupp ice cream was started

18. Booby Petrino
    11:11 am April 23, 2016 Permalink

I tried it this year because of your hyperbole. And I made the same assessment as this on here after trying it. Basically, you owe me money for that ice cream! Lol

• Booby Petrino
      11:13 am April 23, 2016 Permalink

I had the vanilla the first time and was unimpressed. So I thought maybe I should try the swirl, maybe that was what you kept talking about. Tried it, was still unimpressed. So you owe me 2 refunds ha ha