Roy Williams broke out his ring collection to impress Zion Williamson

© Jeff Blake | USTSI

© Jeff Blake | USTSI

Today, 2018 phenom Zion Williamson posted a new entry to his blog on USA Today High School Sports which includes all of the usual stuff: updates on his game, his life, his recruitment, what music he’s listening to, etc. etc. Williamson is considered the next “it” kid in recruiting circles, which explains why coaches are pulling out all the stops to woo him. Coach K brought the entire Duke coaching staff to Williamson’s house in South Carolina, Calipari and Joel Justus watched him work out at his school, and Roy Williams did as Roy Williams apparently does for big recruits: showed him his ring collection. Williamson took a picture of Roy’s box of rings, which Roy brought along with him on his in-home visit this past weekend:

“He told me he wore his ring from last year all throughout the NCAA Tournament this year,” Williamson wrote. “Then he showed me a ring from the 92-93 Bulls championship that Michael Jordan had made him a replica of. He told me if I work hard enough I could accomplish something like that too.”

If this sounds familiar, it’s probably because Roy did the same thing with Julius Randle back in 2013. It seemed odd to me then and it seems odd to me now, particularly the fact that Roy has a replica of Jordan’s NBA Championship ring. Regardless, Williamson was impressed and gave the visit with Roy a 10/10 “because he’d just won a national championship and he took the time to come and see me.” Ugh.

Meanwhile, Williamson also gave his in-home visit with Coach K and the Duke staff a 10. No ranking for Cal’s visit, but he did call getting an offer from Kentucky and Cal an honor. In a testament to what a rock star Williamson has become, he also discussed his budding friendship with Drake and Quavo, a rapper so new and hip that I had no idea who he was.

To read Williamson’s blog for yourself, click here. Then watch Williamson dunk all over fools in the video below.

17 Comments for Roy Williams broke out his ring collection to impress Zion Williamson

1. jestcat
    1:45 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Did Roy also bring his academic records and his dag gum receipt of payment to Higgins. Those are conversation starters.

• RealCatsFan
      2:03 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Maybe he could show him the syllabus for those fake AFAM courses.

• AllBlueAllDay
      2:26 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Haha catsfan you beat me to it. My comment was gonna be maybe Roy can show him the list of fake classes he’ll take during his 1 year in college.

• runningunnin.454
      2:49 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Bet he didn’t show him the NCAA list of allegations.

2. bb88888888
    2:14 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Maybe Cal could bring him a list of salaries from of all his millionaires in the NBA.

3. playmorezeppelin
    2:24 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

In reference to the NC reporter who tried to point out the difference in Calipari and Williams being that Cal wore jeans to a post-game presser and Williams wearing a suit – here is the real difference.

4. Sentient Third Eye
    2:38 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

What’s so special about a REPLICA of Michael Jordan’s ring? I could probably buy a REPLICA of his ring if I really wanted one…

• TonyMontana
      4:54 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

You could probably buy a replica of anything, but lets be honest. If Michael Jordan made you a replica of his Championship ring, that would be pretty amazing. Of course the UNC connection goes without saying.

5. 8xchamp
    3:04 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Then he said I’ll get you at least one of these in the 4 years you’ll play here. Because I make one and dones graduate with a fake 4 year degree.

6. bosshogg24
    3:27 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Ask Ole Roy why Meeks and Jackson weren’t in the NBA 3 or 4 years ago!

7. Sentient Third Eye
    3:45 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Most popular class for UNC athletes: Anatomy 123 – Your butt and a Hole in the Ground: A Comparative Study. 3 Credit Hours

8. chris43
    4:35 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

UNC will be on probation soon. They should have already been. If he’s not smart enough to realize going there is a huge risk then….btw Cal should mention all the guys that have went to the NBA and and are now cashing huge paychecks that went to UK. 😄💵💵💵💵

• catsarerunnin
      5:36 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

UNC won’t be on probation. They are on the NCAA do not punish list.

9. BigBlueWest
    7:24 pm April 10, 2017 Permalink

Cal history of winning, the amount of “BIG” games they get to play in, former players history at the next level and the amount of money they make, and the brotherhood of his players should be a no brainer to recruits, for their parents look at the history of his players in school, history of how much he loves and never ending support after they are gone, IMHO the cleanest best run college program ever sense he has been here. IF after all that and much more and Cal offers, and they pick somewhere else to go…. im good with it, this isn’t the place for them and more times then not it works out the best for us.

10. JoshI1985
    8:25 am April 11, 2017 Permalink

and how many UNC players are in the NBA making bank and that you’ve heard of??? Don’t worry, I’ll wait haha

11. dballrb
    1:07 pm April 11, 2017 Permalink

He’s a man child out there playing.Did you see most of those teams…Zion’s leg is larger and weighs more than they do…I’ve got a great marble collection he look at.