Round 2 of the KSR Food Bracket! (Wednesday Show Thread)

]

If you liked yesterday’s show, you’re going to like today’s because the guys are continuing the KSR Food Bracket.

Plus, was it YANNY OR LAUREL????

Listen to Kentucky Sports Radio

Whitley CityWHAY98.3 FMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH1400 AMLIVE
Williamson, WVWBTH102.5 FM TLIVE
50 Radio Affiliates
37 Markets
1 TV/Cable Affiliate
*Affiliates subject to change without notice

Article written by Drew Franklin

80 Comments for Round 2 of the KSR Food Bracket! (Wednesday Show Thread)

1. ClutchCargo
    10:03 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I only heard Laurel, on more than one device. I almost feel like it’s a joke when people say they heard Yanny.

10:10 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Yanny the first time on my phone. Laurel a couple hours later on phone and tablet. I think it’s a trick where the site randomly picks which of 2 videos to play when you show up, and then sticks with that one unless you leave and come back.

• RealCatsFan
      10:14 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Maybe it has to do with whether you are a Trump supporter. πŸ™‚

• I tuned in late. What are y’all talking about?

• CATandMONKEY
      10:27 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Yanny. 4 people, no prompting.3 of them listened with zero knowledge. Asked individually: “What do you hear?” Without knowing what the choices were.
      3 devices.3 females(2 kids) one 50 year old male.
      Unanimous “yanny or yammy”

Your results may vary.

• ClutchCargo
      10:31 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Yep, 99.9% sure Realme is right.

2. runningunnin.454
    10:03 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

It was YERRY!

3. RealCatsFan
    10:13 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

They should have put Ryan’s creepy laugh on there for kicks. πŸ™‚

• J-Dub421
      10:37 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Or Drew’s Meow.

4. ukbradstith
    10:17 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I heard Yanny the first time I listened. Couldn’t understand how anyone could hear anything different. Then I read up about it and listened for Laurel, and could finally hear it, and I could hear both honestly. Now I cannot hear Yanny, no matter how I try and on any device. It’s actually driving me insane. The “yanny” voice is burned in my brain, but I literally cannot hear it anymore.

5. RealCatsFan
    10:19 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Never been impressed with Olive Garden. I actually think the food at Fazzoli’s is better. If I want Italian food I will spend a little more and go somewhere like Macaroni Grille.

10:23 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Agree, Olive Garden is the least exciting Italian restaurant out there.

• We don’t have MG any more, but we do have Fazoli’s now, and a couple dishes are okay. Their white sauce it totally flavorless, but the dish that has chicken, bacon, and cherry tomatoes kind of takes care of that.

Call me crazy if you want, but OG’s salad and chicken scampi are awesome! Their scampi is better than what I’ve had at a couple local Italian joints here owned by real Italian chefs (granted, I haven’t been to those places much).

• J-Dub421
      10:38 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I just don’t go to a lot of chain restaurants. Local restaurants are so much better.

• ClutchCargo
      10:46 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

The more I think about it, the more I realize I don’t actually like very many restaurants at all. I have taken an interest in cooking over the past few years, and much prefer to just do it at home. Especially BBQ. Once I started doing that myself a few years ago, I literally can’t enjoy any BBQ restaurant anymore.

• J-Dub421
      11:21 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I don’t mind local chains that start with one place and expand and open a few other locations, they’re usually higher quality. Big national chains are all just kind of generic because they try to appeal to everyone.

• RealCatsFan
      11:30 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

There is so much restaurant turnover in Louisville it is ridiculous. A place can be the hottest spot in town for a year, and gone the next. Very cut-throat around here.

11:33 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Same in Lexington, RCF. It’s a running joke when the HL constantly posts an article about this restaurant closing and this one coming in.

6. RealCatsFan
    10:21 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I guess we are in the middle of the summer doldrums on KSR. Food brackets, NBA talk, and “Yanni” vs “Laurel”. Can we get a beer bracket going? That would be more interesting for me. We could do craft beers.

• runningunnin.454
      10:22 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Or a bourbon bracket; so I could laugh at that 3 month aged New York “bourbon”.

• ClutchCargo
      10:36 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

That NY bourbon shouldn’t even qualify for a NIT bid.

• J-Dub421
      10:40 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

We tried a couple of bourbons from other states. One was from Minnesota and I would barely call it a bourbon, total garbage. The other was from South Carolina; I’ll be kind and call it mediocre.

7. Has MJ set up online betting for the Food Bracket yet? Ha! πŸ˜›

8. Realme
    10:25 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I too have never been to Skyline or other Cincy chili places. If it’s anything like their canned grocery store versions, that cinnamon makes it smell disgusting.

• I never knew about Cincy chili when I was growing up in Lexington. I would love to come back for a visit and try it.

10:34 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

They’re in Lexington now, but I think that’s relatively new.

• RealCatsFan
      10:40 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I actually like Skyline’s chili (although have never had it from a can). It is definitely different from the traditional hearty “Texas style” chili, which never has noodles in it. I like both.

White chili is another favorite of mine. We have the recipe that Timothy’s here in Louisville used to make. I added my own personal touch to it by grilling the chicken before adding it, and adding extra chicken. Yum!

• ClutchCargo
      10:41 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

When I was at UK, Skyline was in the basement under what is now Bangkok House at the corner of Rose and Avenue of Champions. I was horribly addicted. The struggle was real and I went there a lot. I still love Skyline, but I don’t have easy access to it where I live now.

• J-Dub421
      11:01 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Skyline is okay, I wouldn’t seek it out usually, but would go with others.

While at UK my go to’s were: Mad Mushroom (pizza), Mr. Wok (chinese take-out), or late nights at Perkins.

9. Realme
    10:40 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I bet that golfer’s wife makes him wear pink shirts too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:18 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

She must have been hanging around with Tiger’s ex.

11:22 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

This is sexist, because I’d never be okay with a guy going after a woman with a golf club, but… Tiger deserved that.

• J-Dub421
      11:30 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Agreed RealMe. Tiger had more mistresses than majors and had been lying to her for years. I’d have wanted to beat him with a golf club if I were her too.

• RealCatsFan
      11:41 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Maybe someone needs to hand a golf club to Melania. πŸ˜€

10. runningunnin.454
    10:44 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Did they play “Do you hear what I hear”? It’s become a Christmas song; but, the married couple that wrote it in 1962 said it was a plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

• RealCatsFan
      10:59 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Lyrics make it sound like a Christmas song from the get-go.

11. rewoodky
    10:50 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

First time around I heard Yanny and last time I heard Laurel.

12. rewoodky
    10:55 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

There is nothing on the menu at Hooters that is fit for human consumption. We all know why they are advancing. ?

10:57 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, we talked about that yesterday. Definitely.

• rewoodky
      11:00 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

But it does bear repeating

• ClutchCargo
      10:59 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Only John Higgins could help that place beat out any other restaurant.

• runningunnin.454
      11:01 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Everybody likes Owls?

• J-Dub421
      11:05 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Their food is gross. Again, if guys want to see boobs that badly, just go to a strip club.

• ClutchCargo
      11:10 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

If I have a desire to be served decent food by scantily clad ladies, Twin Peaks has Hooters beat by a long shot. Hooters sucks, and their servers are ridiculous with the pantyhose under shorts look.

13. rewoodky
    10:59 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Canes stole their whole concept and their sauce from Guthrie’s

11:05 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I would vote against Canes just for only offering that one overly salty sauce. A chicken finger restaurant should have a bazillion choices of dipping sauce.

• J-Dub421
      11:06 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I’ve never heard of Guthrie’s, but Cane’s is very similar to Zaxby’s.

11:09 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Cane’s and Zaxby’s fingers are pretty different, but they do have pretty much the same signature sauce.

• Guthrie’s are the best, but the one that used to be across the street from my work closed. Ahhh!

Hot take: I hate the standard chicken tender dipping sauce including Guthrie’s, and good tenders don’t need sauce anyway. Most of the dipping sauces are of store brand quality anyway.

• J-Dub421
      11:11 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Either way, I will just continue to go to Joella’s which is better in every way.

• And I apparently like the word “anyway”.

14. Okay, not stickin’ ta sports link of the day (insert Donald Trump joke here):

Gunman wearing an orange face covering robs Macon Dollar General

15. Realme
    11:16 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Does that guy think he’s really zinging us there? Why is he popular again?

• J-Dub421
      11:26 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

He’s a Wisconsin fan. I could say the exact same thing to him as there are no former Wisconsin players in the playoffs anymore either. Actually no Wisconsin player made the NBA Playoffs at all. So “Big Cat” can go dunk his head in a litter-box.

11:29 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

But who listens to him and wants to do it again? What’s the appeal?

• J-Dub421
      11:33 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Obnoxious frat boy troll types I’m guessing. A lot of the humor on barstool is pretty sexist.

11:34 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Okay, that makes sense.

16. Realme
    11:17 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Popeye’s, love of my life, up next. I will fight you.

• RealCatsFan
      11:26 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Used to love eating at Popeye’s when I lived down in Baton Rouge. Love spicy chicken. Here in Louisville, when I worked at Humana 20 years ago, we used to make our Thursday pilgrimage to Indi’s on Broadway every week. Always saw some interesting sights in there too. Nothing like placing your order through a microphone and bulletproof glass. πŸ˜‰

• RealCatsFan
      11:36 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Gather round kids, for another RCF story. Back in my college days, had an evening class on Thursdays, and we would go to Sunset East Tavern for Spin the Wheel night (beer prices on wheel). Got on a roll one night, and we all decided we were hungry and spicy wings from Kings (on West Broadway) would hit the spot – at 3 AM. So all of us young caucasian youngsters went down there and got in line to order through the microphone and bullet proof glass. There were a couple of young black dudes standing in line in front of us, and one of them was kind of rapping to himself. My inebriated buddy was apparently inspired by this (and the beer), and when his turn at the mic came, he blurted out “I want some ch-ch-chicken wings and some of dem we-we-we-wedges”, and started blowing and rapping into the microphone. It was the one time that I truly thought I was going to die in a restaurant. Fortunately, they all just started laughing at him rather than killing us all. πŸ˜‰

11:39 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Glad you didn’t die, lol.

• That is hilarious! The other day I got out of my car and a guy walking down the street was rapping. I don’t know if he was listening and rapping along, or freestyling or what. But all I heard was “It ain’t over, til the fat lady sings” and then something about Oprah. It was…interesting.

17. RealCatsFan
    11:24 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Anyone ever had the grilled nuggets from Chick-Fil-A? They are actually quite good, and probably better for you than the fried ones. I actually like them better than fried – although I wish they had an option for the fried nuggets to be hot like their spicy chicken sandwich.

18. Realme
    11:32 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

My MIL used to play up her German heritage ridiculously. Made a pilgrimage, did the genealogy, met a “cousin” over there. Then she did the DNA test.

• RealCatsFan
      11:37 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Did she turn out to be of Polish descent instead? πŸ™‚

19. RealCatsFan
    11:40 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

So disappointed that Mike Braun won. Not because I disliked his politics in particular, but I had to hear his obnoxious ads over and over again. I am completely sick of them, and go out of my way to vote AGAINST them when they pollute the airwaves. Wish more people did the same.

11:47 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

Amy McGrath is on my bad list right now. Why her campaign thinks every voter needs to watch her commercials over 100 times a piece I don’t understand.

20. J-Dub421
    11:54 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

I do not like Arby’s, it’s super bland.

• RealCatsFan
      11:58 am May 16, 2018 Permalink

It’s kind of bland with their regular roast beef, but I like the sliders. They have a 2/$6 deal on their gyro’s right now, and they are pretty good. The beef is much spicier.

• ClutchCargo
      12:11 pm May 16, 2018 Permalink

Arby’s has some really strange ideas about Cuban sandwiches and Texas brisket. If they just wouldn’t try to pass that stuff off as authentic, it wouldn’t be so bad.

21. WildcatMarkC
    1:07 pm May 16, 2018 Permalink

Still waiting on Podcast upload for today……..

22. wesmorgan1
    1:28 pm May 16, 2018 Permalink

Looking at some of these choices, I think we need two brackets – one for “I’m paying” and one for “someone else is paying”…I know that would flip at least 10-12 of my choices.

23. tree_gardener