Romeo Langford’s dad’s comments about Calipari make you go hmm

Photo by USA Basketball

Photo by USA Basketball

Five-star shooting guard Romeo Langford is one of the most talented players to come out of the Kentuckiana area in years, but his courtship with John Calipari and Kentucky ended after Cal coached him in the FIBA World Cup last summer. Langford’s father Tim shared some insight as to why in an interview with the Courier-Journal’s Fletcher Page.

According to Langford Sr., the relationship with Calipari soured due to Romeo’s limited playing time in Team USA’s opening game (before he was hindered by back spasms). Romeo also told his dad he didn’t believe Calipari was in control when the team got down big to Canada in the semifinal.

Romeo later told his father Tim Langford that Calipari “couldn’t adapt to what was going on against Canada,” Tim said.

That quote will give the Cal haters material for days, but Romeo insisted he wanted to keep Kentucky in the running, so his dad reached out to Cal to set up another visit. He never heard back.

Sour grapes or something more? Sounds to me like Langford’s dad and Cal never really clicked, so a parting of the ways was for the best. Kentucky isn’t for everyone, after all. Also interesting: why they cut North Carolina after a visit to Chapel Hill (you’re gonna have to click on over to the Courier-Journal for that).

Langford is down to Kansas, Indiana, and Vanderbilt with a decision expected this spring.

[Courier-Journal]

[mobile_ad]

61 Comments for Romeo Langford’s dad’s comments about Calipari make you go hmm

1. 4everUKblue
    10:11 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Yep the Cal haters will be out in droves as soon as they wake up and get out of bed.

• catdaddyd
      12:35 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

I didn’t watch this past summer, but did Cal run any inbound plays?

2. Blueballz
    10:13 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

So why do you have to be a “Cal Hater” if you think he doesn’t make necessary good in-game adjustments. I believe he is an excellent recruiter, fantastic when it comes to getting players to buy into a team concept and is usually a solid defensive coach. Also, he is a great ambassador for the university and the state. However, when it comes to offensive sets and getting scores coming out of timeouts (with more talented players), there are many other coaches who are much better. I guess because I don’t believe he is great at every facet…I’m a “hater.”

• 4everUKblue
      10:16 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

You’re the one calling yourself a Cal hater.

• 4everUKblue
      10:19 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I would say based on past posts you’re more of a Pitino supporter. If you’re talking about Tony Bennett, K or Izzo you may want to look their results this season In K’s case add last season as well.

• Jimmer
      10:22 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more. Why does having criticisms of his style mean that you’re just “throwing shade” or something? That’s a great point about his in-bounds play calling, I think it’s atrocious. But this doesn’t mean that I don’t think he’s a great coach.

• 4everUKblue
      10:25 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

And once again I will repeat…it is those who are calling for Cal to be fired I have a problem with.

• UKInsider
      7:53 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Completely agree. Cal is an elite recruiter, excellent teacher, and top echelon motivator, but he should have at least 3 championships (owns 1, lost to Kansas @ Memphis, and the Wisconsin loss). Why has he lost? Simple, he struggles with 5 minutes to go and slows the team down to set and predictable offensive schemes and fails to use his time outs. I have been a Cal fan since his UMass day’s, so don’t call me a hater for stating my opinions.

3. mabeatty
    10:14 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Sounds like sour grapes he didn’t play more.

• gright
      11:25 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I agree. Maybe too much of a prima donna to share PT.

• henderblue
      5:55 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Or is that pre-madonna?

• Megan
      12:51 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

And maybe that explains Calipari’s lack of interest in setting up another visit. He saw a player who complained about the number of minutes he got in an opening game. That’s not the kind of player Cal tries to bring into the program.

And it’s something he clearly explains to recruits and their families. Some, like Anthony Davis, want to play for a coach who isn’t going to give them 30 minutes and 20 shots simply because they have 5 stars. Others feel more entitled to the spotlight, and for that reason maybe aren’t the best team players.

I hope Trae Young got what he wanted out of this year. I’m pretty sure his coach and teammates didn’t.

• Eazy
      1:06 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Langford’s dad is just a typical Louisville man. Trying to make Cal look bad. We own Louisville and Cal has the most final fours and tournament wins over the last 9 years. IU and Vanderbilt are a joke. Calling out Cal whole considering two coaches who’ve had no success in the tournament. That’s laughable. Kansas is decent but not on our level.

4. Jimmer
    10:17 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Cal is great at preparing teams and getting them to come together, but he is not the greatest at making in game adjustments. Think of all the frustrating losses that come to mind and you can contribute that to Cal’s tendency to be slow to adjust, if he does it at all. It’s not throwing shade or being a hater. It’s a legitimate criticism of his coaching style. Now, this method often prepares players better for a NBA career better and forces the players to adapt on their own (making them better players), but it does have its shortcomings.

• 4everUKblue
      10:20 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I agree, as I said, it’s those calling for Cal’s firing that are the worst.

• Melvit
      4:57 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

2015 Wisconsin game is a glaring example of this.

5. kentuck1
    10:29 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

What does it say about the “assistant coaches”?

Should they not be helping the coach with strategy and timeouts?

A good fisherman never catches all the fish and sometimes the big one gets away.

There are pluses and minuses to Coach Cal’s method of coaching. It is difficult to win with freshmen year after year. But there is no better coach in America at getting the best out of his players and getting them mentally prepared to play with the best teams in the country, in my opinion.

• 4everUKblue
      10:29 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Agreed.

• Blueballz
      10:32 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Every assistant coach should be in Boston watching Brad Stevens and taking away set plays and seeing what he draws up to get the best shot with the best player based on match ups coming out of timeouts. Obviously they have to recruit and run Cal’s Summer Camps, but they can go and take their “coaching” to a higher level too. For instance look what Savanna did with Kiffin. He knew he had to get up to date with the spread to compete….

• Eazy
      1:23 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Pretty hard to argue against Cal. He has 28 tournament wins and 4 final fours at UK. Both lead the country. Bennett isn’t even close and people act like he’s great. He’s never even made a final four. And Romeo is considering two coaches (Miller and Drew) who’ve never even made an elite 8. Laughable!

• kjd
      12:15 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

kentuck1: the best at getting players mentally prepared to play. Really? I guess I was watching some other team this year.

• Righteous1
      12:17 am April 3, 2018 Permalink

I would like to see this kid and Montgomery go to Vanderbilt and join what is already going there. Vandy would be a legitimate top 5 team. Middle of the pack in the SEC is what UK is moving toward in the regular season just like Tubby Smith’s teams did in his last 5 years.

6. Blueballz
    10:32 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Saban with Kiffin

7. secrick
    10:47 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Boston and none of the NBA play any defense. How many titles did Brad win ? How many titles has Izzo won? Hell Cal can coach with the best of them it’s just some of you guys listen to the cal media haters and think this guy can’t coach in a close game. But i realize you are not a hater just because you think other wise.

• Eazy
      1:30 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Exactly. Cal has more tournament wins and final fours than any coach since he’s been here.

8. KYJelly
    10:48 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I’m not a Cal-hater. In fact, I think people saying we should get someone else are insane because he’s clearly the best fit. That said, changing his gameplan on the fly mid-game is definitely a weak area for him

9. Bozzallini
    10:54 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

So you’re comparing Nick Saban with Brad Stevens? That’s what the kids call cray-cray.

10. daddy43040
    10:59 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Everybody points to the close losses as proof Cal Can’t coach but what about all the close wins!No credit that’s all Knight or Harrison or whoever.

• Realme
      11:29 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

This. EVERY coach out there has bad losses to go with their wins, but you wouldn’t think so to listen to the media.

11. Wade
    10:59 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

Cal never coached one of those kids ever he was just looking for who was gonna fight through. Prolly wasn’t Romeo idk

12. Jiminy Crickets
    11:42 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I’ve been posting on this board for three months but the team USA experience is the reason why Calipari for crude and drop significantly this year. Langford did not get playing time because he was stuck playing behind Diallo, and cam Reddish Felt the same way. I’ve been told, every time I say this, but I am wrong. I am glad to see that someone is finally releasing what was well known on the high school circuit last year

13. Jiminy Crickets
    11:46 am April 2, 2018 Permalink

I am not blaming Calipari by the way, I think he did the right thing with Langford. Langford got there, and when he realize he was not starting, he pouted. He began faking\songs to make it appear as though that was the reason he could not play. However he is complaining got into that year of multiple other players. That’s all I’ve ever been trying to say. Cam Reddish and Zion Williamson both separated their recruiting process with Kentucky almost immediately after team USA.

14. 2thepoint
    12:11 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I don’t think Langford was ever going to be a Cat. I think he is another Trae Young with a similar father and Cal isn’t having that.

15. Racerr11
    12:21 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Blueballz I don’t consider u a hater your just wrong about what u said period. Like alot of fans you don’t know near as much about the game as you think you do. Cal is the best coach in the country period , what he does year after year with all freshman teams is simply amazing. These other teams do not accomplish what Cal has when they have veteran players, Juniors and seniors. Cal has beat Louisville 8 of 10 times when little Ricki boy was coach and Ricki had junior and seniors every time players he had 3 and 4 years and still couldn’t get the job done. Cal simply the best bar none. Maybe study the game better then u will understand.

• dballrb
      4:46 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Orlando Smith..Wasn’t the best recruiter but knows Xs and Os…waiting for the pile-on y’all….

• slangterm
      6:20 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Tub y was a great X and O guy. I feel like damn near scores out of every time out.

16. Alleykat16
    12:28 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Before we start all the mud slinging lets just wait and see what goes on next year with them players and see how well they do over at the other school. You can’t win all the close games. But I remember Knight hitting a game winner and in that one tourney run Cal put the ball in Harrison’s hand for 3 wins in a row. And down at West Virgina those half time adjustments made for a great come back. When it comes down to adjustments and plays being called the players have to execute them for them to work.

17. A_Blue_Wildcat
    12:31 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

When it comes to making late game adjustments Cal is a bad coach. Call me a hater, or whatever you like, but the evidence is there when you look at his losses, especially this year. He’s fantastic at getting freshmen to come together and play less hero ball by the end of the year, and he’s night and day a better man-to-man defense coach than coach K. He’s also a great marketer, recruiter, and spokesman. But if you think he’s a great late game coach then you don’t watch him enough.

• Megan
      1:29 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

I’m guessing this is an easier charge to level in a year that saw an above-average number of losses. Did we hear much of this criticism during the more successful seasons?

The difficulty is that you don’t know what Cal’s thinking or saying to his assistant coaches or telling his players in the timeouts. Apart from some post-game statements and an occasional few seconds of live wire, you basically have to guess based on what you saw on the court.

Maybe you saw Quade force a questionable three late in the game without knowing that Cal set up the play for Wenyen. You know what they say about the best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men. What happens on the court isn’t necessarily what Cal wants them to do. How do you distinguish? Or don’t you?

We’re entitled to our opinions, of course, but this is a contest between a Hall of Fame coach and a Monday morning quarterback. Let’s keep that in perspective.

• BillytheUkkid
      2:51 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

This might be one of the most intelligent replies I’ve ever read on here.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      1:45 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Yes we saw the same criticism in successful seasons, i.e. The john wall year and the undefeated season as prime examples when they lost in the tournament. You don’t need to have inside information to critique someone, that would be like saying you can’t call a movie bad because you don’t know what the director was thinking when making it.

18. Racerr11
    12:34 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Lol it’s obvious that some reply on here are not UK fans. People want to talk about coaches like pitifultino, wright, K, Cal against pitifultino no contest 8-2 says it all with freshman team against 3 & 4 year players, wright only been to sweet 16 2 times in 9 years lost in first or second round 7 times. K out in first round last year elite 8 this year with the #1 recruiting class counting next season 3 years in a row so it just shows you doing it with freshman players is much harder and no one better than Cal really not close. So UK fans saying anything negative about Cal makes no sense at all so keep it to yourself…..

19. Racerr11
    12:37 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Blue wildcat watch more so your knowledge is better of the game. I never miss a game. When an out of bounds play doesn’t work it’s not the coaches fault most of the time it’s players who either execute or don’t execute the plays not the coach.

• A_Blue_Wildcat
      12:43 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Literally the majority of times coming out of a timeout we look lost and don’t even get a shot off. Yes not every time is the coaches fault but if it is reoccurring and happens consistently every year then guess what, the coach might be to blame.

20. jagar24
    1:04 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

A player likely going to a school where we will have regular recruiting battles (Indiana, Vanderbilt, Kansas) is talking bad about Calipari. To me this seems like it could be a tactic by one of those coaches to cast doubt over Calipari. If not, I don’t think this kid is the best judge of Cal’s coaching ability based on the fact he was upset he didn’t play enough after 1 game!

21. Underdog
    1:11 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

IF I recall correctly, Quickley had a great time on Team USA, did he not? Did he not heap praise on Cal?

Look, anybody who says Cal can’t adapt to what the other team is doing is just ignorant or self-serving in some way. If somebody says Cal wasn’t “in control” when down to Canada, they’re just nuts.

The problem was jimmie’s and joe’s. Canada had a big time NBA player on their team. Canada had the player who’s going to be the #1 pick in NEXT year’s NBA Draft.

NOBODY could guard RJ. And nobody can now. He’s just good, real good.

It had nothing to do with Cal not understanding his options. RJ just went off. He was 12-15 at the FT line, had 13 rebounds, 2 for 6 from trey land, over 12 for 24, AND had 5 assists in 33 minutes (with 5 fouls).

Here are some quotes after the game from an http://www.usab.com:

The USA pounded the glass and grabbed 62 rebounds, including 30 offensive boards, and outrebounded Canada by nine. But the USA’s gold medal hopes were hurt by frigid shooting as the USA made just 32.9 percent of its field goal attempts (28-85 FGs), and was only 25-of-43 (.581 percent) from the foul line.

“From the jump our energy wasn’t there. Defensively, we just weren’t there. Nobody should have that many points on us,” said Pritchard. “We just weren’t locked in, honestly. Like I said, our defense will win for us, but we didn’t show up today on defense.”

“We got 30 offensive rebounds. We scored enough points to win,” said USA head coach John Calipari (Kentucky). “But then it came down to some breakdowns defensively, and the other thing was, RJ (Barrett) had it going. I told the team after the game, I needed to try some different things – go zone, trap pick and roll, trap him. I kind of rode it because I thought we would figure out something, and that is my mistake.

“But, the reality was, one kid really went crazy, and then the rest of their kids did what they did, so hats off to them. Congratulate Canada, they deserved to win the game.”

For what it’s worth, PJ had this to say, “(Barrett) had a great game, but I thought it was about foul trouble for us. We were switching the screens and getting easy, ticky-tack fouls, and those just kept adding up for us.”

PJ had a decent game as well, though he only shot 4 for 14 and he missed 7 of 16 FT’s.

Cal, as he frequently does, fell on the sword by saying after the game, “I told the team after the game, I needed to try some different things – go zone, trap pick and roll, trap him.”

That’s Cal being Cal. Hindsight is 20-20. I’m just saying LOOK AT THE SOURCE. Cal didn’t play Langford in the opening game for some, unknown reason. We’ll never know.

What we do know is that Romeo wasn’t happy about playing fewer minutes than HE thought he should be playing. To say anything unflattering about the coach’s b-ball IQ or acumen is a poor reflection on the player and the player’s father.

Look, I hate cheatin’ UNC, but they have a great coach in Roy. I hate PUKE, but have to acknowledge that Coach K knows the game.

22. Cmart0907
    1:17 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

We all know he was telling the truth. Calipari wont or can’t adjust.

23. StuckinLville
    1:19 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

People can be salty at the kid, but him saying Cal couldn’t adapt sounds about right. We have multiple NCAA loses that proves that. Maybe that’s why kids have stopped coming. I see it every March.

• Megan
      1:34 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, it’s really a shame how Cal can’t recruit anymore.

• StuckinLville
      4:02 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Barrett, Williamson, Bol Bol, Ayton, Bagley, want me to name more? Cal used to get those guys but they arent blind.

• 4everUKblue
      10:36 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

@stuck, K had all that talent this year, in fact he had the best talent and what did he accomplish? Come to think of it he had the best talent last year and didn’t get out of the second game. Aston and Bagley are both watching at home just like we are so tell me again what your point is.

24. Eazy
    1:32 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Cal has been to four final fours and won 28 NCAA tournament games at UK. Most in the country by far. Bennett has 7 tournament wins! Drew, Self, and Miller combined have less than Calipari. This is laughable. Langford’s dad is a typical ignorant Louisville fan.

25. bluecrowe
    1:39 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Just read a Cats’ Pause article where they talked about how Bruce Weber was watching Cal call the play and give it to Shai then doing an about face and relaying the signal to his defense. There are quotes from the K State players saying they knew where Shai wanted to go with the ball consistently. WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PUSHING THE BALL THE ENTIRE GAME! We easily should have won by 25 points. Painful.

26. Megan
    1:41 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Romeo is still considering Kansas.

But did Bill Self look in control when his team went down big against Villanova? Was he able to adapt to what was going on?

27. Underdog
    2:17 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Romeo and father also had negative things to say about Roy Williams’ conducting of UNC practices, per the Courier Journal article.

He’s a cancer. Let him go elsewhere.

28. 2thepoint
    2:26 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Cal warned the team about drinking the poison and they did it anyway. If they had been fired up to play the game as much as K-State was they would have won the game. K-State never missed a shot it seemed during the first 10 minutes while UK couldn’t hit anything. Most of UK players had below par games. The only thing working was going inside to PJ who played his heart out. He came up short with the free throw shooting and many blame him for the loss which is very unfair. I love PJ and hope he comes back.

29. huntcalvert
    2:43 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

He’s not exactly wrong. Cal isn’t exactly an “adjuster” late in game. I can’t blame him tho, that’s hard to do with young players. It’s his philosophy and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Just like coaches who do adjust a lot

30. UKLugo
    4:42 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

Top 5 recruit from Indiana. UNC and Duke WERE recruiting him, but stopped along with Calipari? Hmm. Red flag?? Screams it. If youve seen one, youve seen them all. Dad and kid who dont know or want to accept their roles. Want more control. “I’m not that kind of parent, BUT…” Doesnt get his way, so he trashes the coach at the first opportunity. Dealt with one of those myself this season. Plleeeaaase! Dont blame Cal for blocking that a-hole.

31. UKfanman01
    4:59 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

To all of those bashing Cal and every tourney game blaming it on his bad coaching. This year he coached perfectly against K State, however PJ couldn’t hit a free throw to save his life.

32. TB112162
    5:33 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

What it says is Langford the player thinks he is a coach and he is not he just needs to play and Daddy thinks he knows more about basketball than Cal and Roy Williams really

33. slangterm
    6:26 pm April 2, 2018 Permalink

They said he hadn’t improved from his Ju or year like they expected. Did people forget that? This is a joke. UK ALMOST WENT UNDEFEATED. The only time he had a decent return of players. Wisconsin was a buzzsaw. They were good. 2 guys driving and shooting at 6’10”. Don’t forget the guy scoring flat footed on the floor with the shot clock at zero. Brandon Knight and Josh Harrellson was a final four team. John Wall team, horrid shooting night. We lost a championship with a team that struggled all year to 7 seed that won the tournament. It is hard to win a title folks.