Robin Williams’ Tuesday News and Views

BuyxMrRIYAEdYkY

On Monday, we had to say goodbye to one of the most beloved entertainers of our time. Robin Williams was found dead in his Californian home of an apparent suicide after a long battle with depression and substance abuse. He was 63 years old.

There are no words to describe this loss. Williams was a comedic genius, and so many of my favorite movies from when I was little until now include him. When I was a kid, he charmed me with “Hook,” “Aladdin,” and “Mrs. Doubtfire,” the latter of which is so classic it’s hilarious at any age. I was too young for them when they came out, but in my adolescence, “Dead Poet’s Society” was particularly poignant, and “Good Morning, Vietnam!” gave me the first glimpse into adult humor. To this day, whenever “The Birdcage” is on TV, I stop and watch, and who can forget that scene in “Good Will Hunting”? Williams’ performance was so powerful it earned him an Oscar.

Williams brought joy and laughter to so many people, which makes his fatal struggle with depression doubly cruel. As I get older, his stand-ups get funnier, including this favorite about golf (language not safe for work or kiddos):

Can’t ever top that. Can’t ever find a good segue for these things, so let’s just move on to the news.

Cats rally from slow start to rout Champagne Chalons-Reims 81-58

Most of us thought Champagne Chalons-Reims would be UK’s toughest competition in the Bahamas, considering they’re a French pro team with a roster of “grown men,” as Kenny Payne would say. And for the first ten minutes of the game, they looked like the better squad, racing out to a 20-12 lead. However, the Cats woke up and smacked back, going on a 10-0 run featuring a beautiful Dominique Hawkins to Marcus Lee alley-oop and back-to-back three pointers from Hawkins and Derek Willis. Once the Cats had the lead, they didn’t look back, cruising to a 81-58 victory.

The star of the game was Karl Towns, who had 19 points, 10 rebounds, and three assists. Towns is UK’s leading scorer and rebounder in the Bahamas so far, and looked absolutely unstoppable against the French professional squad. His performance was so impressive that ESPN’s Jeff Goodman and Chad Ford said should be considered for the number one pick in next year’s draft. Yeah.

It’s hard not to get sucked into hyperbole with this group. They not only tower over most of their opponents, they’ve developed some really impressive passing skills as well. On Monday, the Cats dished out 17 assists, making it a total of 37 assists for the trip so far. Even more encouraging is the stat that seven different UK players had at least one assist in today’s game. As Willie Cauley-Stein told Jay Bilas, they’ve clearly been focusing on sharing the ball this summer. We knew the size was there–nine of UK’s 29 field goals were dunks–but the vast improvement in passing is my biggest takeaway of the trip so far. That and how much fun the team seems to be having. All that bad body language from last November and December? Ancient history. Remember the dogpiles, hugs, and smiles from last March and April? The team’s doing them again, and it’s only August, only exhibition games. Chills.

Photo by Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Karl Towns’ face… Photo by Darrell Bird | CatsPause.com

Karl Towns says his missed free throws were “unacceptable”

After the game, Karl and Andrew met with the media, and when asked how he felt he played, Karl said that he struggled with his jump shot in the beginning, but did better once he switched things up and went inside. He also chastised himself for missing those two free throws: “That’s, in my book, unacceptable, so we gotta go back in the gym and figure out a way to fix that.”

That comment drew a laugh from Andrew Harrison, who chalked it up as “just stuff Karl says.” It says a lot about Towns that even though he had a huge game, he was still upset with himself for missing a few free throws. In a blowout. I think we have a perfectionist here, folks.

Karl’s missed free throws meant 20 pushups for me, so I’m not very happy about it either, but I’ll live.

Calipari took a break to film the game for ESPNU

BuyGvD1IUAAnk8n

How relaxed was John Calipari today? After sitting in the stands with Tony Barbee and the sons of Patrick Wren, the lucky fan who won the chance to be an assistant coach today, Cal strolled over to the ESPNU cameras to film some of the action. His camera work was pretty shoddy, so hopefully he sticks to his day job.

Where are Brian Long and Sam Malone?

Two big names have been missing from the court this week. No, not Willie Cauley-Stein and Trey Lyles. Sam Malone and Brian Long. KSR has learned that the walk-ons didn’t come on the trip because they have internships to complete before school starts. An internship vs. ten days in the Bahamas…clearly, you see where their priorities lie.

Meanwhile, Tod Lanter’s already gone through one bottle of Hawaiian Tropic Tanning Oil.

Here is Nerlens Noel with Shaquille O’Neal and Killa

BuyaPRNIMAAXPcV

Nerlens ran into Shaq and the rapper at the Entertainers Basketball Classic on Monday. Two thoughts: 1) Whoa, those pants; and 2) Whoa, those legs. Nerlens may have a healthy knee now, but man, those legs are still skinny.

Defense wins the day at football practice

On the football side of things, the defense was the story of the day at UK’s second open practice. JD Harmon was particularly impressive, picking off Drew Barker twice and tipping another pass. Still no update at quarterback other than there is no update at quarterback. The defense may have gotten the best of the quarterbacks today, but there’s another open practice on Tuesday afternoon (3:30 – 5 p.m.), a great opportunity for Patrick Towles, Reese Phillips, and Drew Barker to settle the score. Read Nick Roush’s full practice report here.

Let’s do this all over again tomorrow, okay? Meet you here at 10 a.m.

38 Comments for Robin Williams’ Tuesday News and Views

1. Bradley
    11:10 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Where is the practice tomorrow? Commonwealth, Nutter, outdoor practice field? Thanks in advance! 🙂

2. Mark Liptak
    11:26 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Stunned and saddened by the loss of Robin Williams. Unbelievable. “Good Morning Vietnam” will always be one of my favorites.

Saw it in the theater in Monroe, Louisiana and had to go see it again, missed a lot of lines because everyone was laughing so hard.

RIP

3. David
    11:41 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

My favorite Williams movie is Aladdin.

4. Tim
    11:42 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

Why in the world would one of the most famous and lovable comedian and actors of all times like Robin Williams who has 50 millions dollars in net worth commit suicide? Something sounds fishy?

Go Cats! You are awesome!!!

• Money Isn't Everything
      11:54 pm August 11, 2014 Permalink

He had a past of substance abuse. Plus people around him said he had been in a bit of a depression for the past few months. Could have been a variety of things, but I doubt there was any foul play involved. Just got pushed a little too far, couldn’t shake it.

• Derp
      12:20 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

That is an extremely dumb and ignorant comment, Tim. That has nothing to do with anything. That being said, many comedians/funny people are the most disturbed… Comedy is their way to cope with depression and mental struggles

5. EK
    12:13 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Get real! Would you kill yourself if you had 50 millions dollars in your pocket. I would feel like I won the lottery! Something smells like it is about the money.

6. katmandue2you
    12:28 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Robin Williams was the absolute king of improvisation…he had no peer. And he proved his magnitude as a dramatic actor many times over as well. Some things are so unexplainable. I just hope that there are no questions about how his demise came and I also hope that everyone can appreciate his talent. Many may simply see him as a “loud mouth”. But the likes of his talents weren’t seen before him and like will never be afterward.

7. old guy
    2:20 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

lmao at the two materialistic juveniles who think money = happiness. those idiots will have a fine outstanding life im sure.

I go all the way back to the episode of happy days when robin Williams appeared as mork from ork. we all went to school the next day saying “shozbot” and “nanu-nanu”.

8. dsparklender
    6:43 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Awakenings with Robert Di Nero was also one of my favorite Williams movies. It is hard to understand how someone can be that depressed to take their life but it does seem to be a common thread with many comedians as Williams role model Jonathan Winters also struggled with depression, Reading this has made the day start out in a sad way. Thanks for the laughs,RW

• RealCatsFan
      9:24 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Plus one on “Awakenings”. Excellent, thought provoking, and touching movie. Not one of his “funny” roles, and DeNiro kind of stole the show in that one with his performance.

The mind is a very complex thing. I have known many people who are hilarious and fun to be around (especially after a few drinks), but struggle mightily with depression and substance abuse. “Tears of a Clown”, indeed.

9. Dan
    7:22 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Money is the most important thing in life. Anyone who says otherwise is lying and satisfied with their own mediocrity and lowered expectations.

• Me
      7:41 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

And that attitude is probably why you, sir, will never achieve any real success in your life. I’m sorry I hope you can find the resources that can open up your outlook on life.

• Dan
      7:44 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

As long as I make more six figures or more a year then that is happiness for me. I really don’t need anything else. I’m sorry your wife didn’t work out well and you’re stuck with a fat wife and some kids. Stop bringing others down.

• ukjaybrat
      7:49 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

no one is saying that a lot of money won’t increase your standard of living to some degree. hell, i would love to be able to go out to dinner every night instead of paying a mortgage, two car payments, and daycare.

But just because you have all the money you will ever need does not mean you will be guaranteed happiness.

• Dan
      7:52 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Sounds like you made some bad decisions in your life ukjaybrat. Remember that an abortion is much cheaper than a lifetime of daycare and other expenses. A divorce is cheaper in the long run too.

• RealCatsFan
      9:20 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Sorry, “Dan”, I have to call you out as a fraud, because there is no way that someone who displays such ignorance and lack of education could earn “six figures”. Maybe if you count the numbers after the decimal point. Like drugs and alcohol, money offers only a temporary high. It wears off in time. True happiness and contentment comes from within, and above.

• Dan
      10:07 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

The minute you mentioned god you lost all credibility. Sadly my two advances degrees speak to my education. Your belief in your imaginary zombie god do not speak well for yours. Enjoy being poor. If you need some money management or even life coaching, i would be happy to help.

• Heisenberg
      10:23 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I’m guessing first off Dan you are not an English instructor. Secondly, it’s easy to come on the internet and say I have this kind of lifestyle. I can easily say I run a multi-billion dollar company and have several houses, cars, etc. and there is no way for you to disprove that. Furthermore, even if what you are saying is true (which I highly doubt) it does not take away from that fact that quite frankly you seem like an ass based on your comments.

• Dan
      11:00 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

derpa derp, i gots a lotta munney but i cant spell but you all suck and its all about the lolz . i can make up anytheng in the internets . derpa derp.

10. KES
    7:30 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

so many ignorant post in this thread. this website will never have too many people selected into mensa. just full of ignorant,redneck hicks

• Moose
      8:37 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

so you’re saying you’re an ignorant, redneck hick? admission is the first step.

11. Hill
    7:43 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

You look at Robin Williams and you assume that with all of the wealth, fame and public adoration that something like this is not possible. I’m not sure what happened and we may never truly know the whole story, but we all need to take a step back and be grateful for all that we have. Rest in peace Robin Williams. Thank you for entertaining us for all of these years.

12. Typical Fan
    7:50 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

If he just had Jeebus he would of lives. Everyone get saved by Jeebus.

• Jeebus
      8:38 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

If he had Jesus, he is still alive. Just not on this planet.

• Jeebus
      8:42 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Doubtful. Enjoy your fairytale. I plan on going to Mount Olympus to be with Zeus when I die.

13. cracka
    7:51 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

sad news about robin williams, but he never did anything worth watching … he’s kinda like eddie murphy, everything in the middle to late of his career was horrible … difference is eddie was actually good in his early career

• Torpedovegas
      8:11 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Never did anything worth watching? Yikes. I’d hate too see what you consider worth while movies.

• cracka
      8:39 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I forgot to mention that I’m a moron.

• Wow
      5:23 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Eddie never won on Oscar, nor was he ever nominated for one. Robin was nominated for three, winning one. But yeah, nothing worth watching.

Did you see the new Transformers, though?!?!

14. Mark S
    7:54 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

The World According to Garp is my favorite Robin Williams movie.

15. Typical Fan
    10:25 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

I love to read the book of jewish fairy tales!

16. reality
    10:42 am August 12, 2014 Permalink

Robin Williams never had a chance to watch the new SEC network…

17. He Shoulda been a Cats fan!
    12:48 pm August 12, 2014 Permalink

Always something to look forward to. (especially this year!!)