Photo Credit: Rose Baca/The Dallas Morning News

Photo Credit: Rose Baca/The Dallas Morning News

Reclassification rumors have surrounded 2020 five-star combo guard RJ Hampton for several months now, and today, the elite prospect out of Little Elm, TX confirmed they are absolutely legit.

“I’m considering reclassifying to 2019 at this point,” Hampton said in a blog post on USA Today.

Already 18 years old, the 6-foot-4 guard is in a similar situation to the one Kentucky point guard Ashton Hagans was in last year around this time. He’s old enough to be a freshman in college right now, and with dreams of getting to the NBA as fast as possible, it’d be silly not to make the jump if he’s ready both physically and academically.

While he says he will make a final decision here in the next few months, Hampton said he’s going to be looking at current NBA Draft decisions and how the rosters of his final four schools in contention fill out.

“I just wanted to see how the teams’ seasons ended and how the rosters were stacking up,” he said. “What I’ll really be looking at with this decision is who’s there and how I’ll fit in with next year’s squad. I just really want to know how I’d be used in the system.”

After cutting TCU from his list this weekend, Hampton’s final four teams include Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, and Memphis. For

As for his interest in the Wildcats, the elite guard prospect said  he loves how Kentucky head coach John Calipari helps his players reach their dreams.

“What I like about Kentucky is that Coach (John) Calipari is really focused on putting players in position to be successful and reach their dreams and goals and that’s how he’s able to win,” he said.

While the narrative out there right now is that Hampton wants the ball in his hands as much as possible in college, the 6-foot-4 guard says he actually wants to play with another elite point guard at the next level.

“I actually think playing with another elite point guard is a more attractive option because either one of us can bring it down and I can do what I do best and score the ball,” he said. “I think that makes us a more dangerous team.”

Would friend and fellow Texas native Tyrese Maxey count as another elite point guard option?

(USA Today)

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

16 Comments for RJ Hampton says he wants to play with another elite point guard, confirms interest in a jump to 2019

1. Matty Arbuckle
    2:18 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Or Tre Jones perhaps….?

• TonyMontana
      7:38 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Geez. Looks like Duke is gonna have Vernon Carey, Matthew Hurt, RJ Hampton, some other studs & Tre Jones. Not too mention Marques Bolden returning for his 9th season.

2. Catcasey1
    2:20 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Fn dook bound

• JT919
      2:44 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Would love to get him to UK. The tools would all be there for a run and gun offense like Villanova’s title team’s. Maxey, Hampton, Brooks, Whitney and probably EJ? Lights out offensive potential.

• JT919
      2:54 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

First comment not directed at catcasey, but be more optimistic. Jones is good but not elite unless he develops a jump shot. Hampton won’t have the space he needs to operate without another backcourt threat, and Tre Jones ain’t it.

3. mothandras
    2:20 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

From his comments about each School.. he sounds like a heavy Memphis lean to me.

4. BigJohnC
    2:44 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Maxey hagans quickley Hampton? Logjam?

• JT919
      2:52 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Think it’d come down to getting Hagans to buy into a relatively limited role. Don’t think Quickley minds being a bench player. Could also happen that Cal decides to run out some 3 guard lineups for a little bit of hyper offense in certain situations.

5. BamaBlue
    2:53 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

After the tre Jones announcement to stay, he I’d probably freakin dook bound.

6. Dustin Rumbaugh
    3:27 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

From what he said….that dude’s going to Duke. We have scoring point guards. We actually have quite a few. Jones would be what he is talking about. Pass first but scoring threat. Its Duke or Kentucky and I’d be EXTREMELY surprised if it wasn’t Duke. Memphis is wayyyyyy out. Kansas has too many question marks. What he really meant is that he didn’t want to run the point and have to bring the ball up and beat the pressure but once they cross the half court line he wants the ball in his hands. Welcome to Duke.

7. Ridge Runner
    3:31 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Agree with majority here… pUKe.

8. StuckinLville
    3:45 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Dont forget how close Maxey and him are. It will all depend on what Hagans does.

9. tncatrn
    6:49 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

So Hagans is coming back. I guess RJ Hamptons decision just got less complicated lol

10. KYfaninTN
    8:21 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

I will take Hagan Quickly and Massey

11. NUM1UKFANFROMTHEVILLE
    11:04 pm April 9, 2019 Permalink

Not really a logjam but I do think it’s a long shot, about 20% chance he comes.

Pg: hagans/Quickley
    Sg: Maxey/Baker
    Sf: Whitney/Allen
    PF: Montgomery/Brooks/Sestina
    C: Richards

This will be the starting lineup at the beginning but I can easily see Cal if getting RJ going Hagans/Maxey/RJ/Whitney/Richards with EJ,Brooks, Quickley, Allen, Baker and Sestina on the bench and who could all start depending on opponent. But I do see him wanting more shots so that’s why I think Duke leads as well right now

12. kjd
    7:14 am April 10, 2019 Permalink

Cal said he’s all in on Hagans (not elite). So RJ is going elsewhere.