Rivals.com national analyst predicts UK will have top 2020 class

In this week’s “Three-Point-Play,” national basketball recruiting analyst Eric Bossi makes a prediction for which team will hold the crown for best recruiting class in 2020.

Spoiler: He picked Kentucky.

“Duke, North Carolina and some others also appear to be on the verge of big classes but if I had to pick a favorite today to eventually finish with 2020’s top class, I’m going with Kentucky,” Bossi wrote in his latest contribution to Rivals.com.

He goes on to note that Kentucky is in “prime position” to compete for other bluechip prospects on the wing, in addition to some big man targets. Point guard is the biggest question, he says. Read the entire story here.

If the prediction holds true and John Calipari lands the No. 1 class, it will be Kentucky’s first time at the top of the charts since 2016; that top-ranked group included three top-10 players in De’Aaron Fox (6), Bam Adebayo (7) and Malik Monk (10). It was Kentucky’s seventh No. 1 class in Calipari’s eight years on the job, but the last three classes all fell to second in the rankings.

It’s time to get back to the top and things are off to a perfect start with the very early commitment from BJ Boston.

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Rivals.com national analyst predicts UK will have top 2020 class

1. bigbluejeans
    11:55 am July 30, 2019 Permalink

Any coincidence that once recruiting violations start coming to light for other programs we find ourself back at the top?

• runningunnin.454
      12:03 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Bingo.

• nocode96
      12:37 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

For months/years, I’ve been one of those who said that the ncaa will NEVER do anything to dook or Kansas or unc. I’m starting to rethink that now. I’m thinking that maybe the ncaa will eventually come down very hard on all cheating programs, but I think they’re waiting until the new draft rule is set in place. Here’s where my theory gets a bit far out there, but I believe that once the ncaa does come down on them, it will set forth the motion of its own destruction (which could be why they haven’t done it yet too). Once dook, unc, ku, and even the likes of LSU and AZ go down, the ncaa will fall apart because those schools, who are more than powerful enough, will just say [email protected] the ncaa.

• IrishCat
      1:13 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

nocode, I think you’re on to something. The NCAA is as corrupt as any organization in the country, and I feel their inaction is 100% due to them trying to save their brand.

When the NBA starts taking steps to move the basketball pipeline toward the international model, the days will be numbered for college b-ball as we know it. As more and more ppl refuse to let their kids play football, that sport will also be a shadow of its former glory, and down goes the NCAA.

• nocode96
      2:16 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

100% agree irishcat. Football is going to have to change, or it will die out completely. People are going to say “pansies, it’s a man’s game” and they will be ignorant. I’m a father, my son is a great athlete so far, his mother and I will never let him play football under its current set of rules. We are far from the only parents feeling this way. I don’t care if he could be the next Tom Brady and I’m eating ramen for every meal..nothing is worth our children’s safety and well being. People need to remember, too, that football as we know it now has changed exponentially from what it was 60 years ago, so the argument that it won’t be football is moot at best because it’s already not football as it was created, not even the same game. People list their mind back in the day when they started allowing forward passes! Can any of you imagine football at all without forward passes?

As far as the ncaa goes, it’s days are numbered. Personally, I’d like to see UK, dook, unc, ku, and other giants team up and leave the ncaa, firm their own league. Everyone, and I mean everyone that’s worth watching would follow our lead.

• AshtonTheGOAT
      1:57 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Dook you mean dUKe

• MontyCats
      4:41 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

I absolutely think the violations have hampered Arizona and Kansas.

Were like Jon lovitz in the wedding singer “their all going mad and were reaping all the benefits!!!”

2. 4everUKblue
    12:02 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Boy oh boy are the haters really going to hate to hear this. Ha ha ha!

• runningunnin.454
      12:42 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, the people that say Cal is slipping after falling all the way to #2 for three years; their heads will explode.

• ClutchCargo
      1:05 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Nah, they will just revert back to the old “can’t even go undefeated and win titles every year with the best talent” stuff.

3. John Capilari
    12:03 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

If you ain’t first, you’re last!

4. Ridge Runner
    12:10 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

I don’t remember ever seeing a projection for “who may have a top recruiting class”. At least no formal media. Lol… damn.

Shouldn’t be surprised though…

• Ridge Runner
      12:11 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Oh and hell.. if there gonna be 1… yep, we’ll take that 1 spot.

5. Ridge Runner
    12:15 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

No mention of Pennywise & Memphis? Hmmmm…

• ClutchCargo
      1:06 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Lol at “Pennywise.” I’m stealing that!

6. IrishCat
    1:15 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Bring in all the wings and bigs you can, hell, even a lead guard if you can get one, but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I want Immanuel Quickley running the show in 2020.

7. VirginiaCat
    2:04 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

It would be great to be ranked #1, but ultimately it’s about team chemistry, skills mix, adapting the game plan to a particular set of players, and overcoming setbacks as the season progresses. That said, it is easier to do that with a stable of thoroughbreds. It’s way too early to tell, but if we indeed recruit a monster class, it will go a long way in getting us on track for the future.

• nocode96
      2:17 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

“On track”? Man, some of y’all act like we are scraping the bottom of the barrel and haven’t been easily one of the best 3 or 4 programs in the country since we got Cal. Smh

• VirginiaCat
      3:05 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

Nocode: I am merely contrasting pre-2015 with post-2015 and applying the high standard that has always been the hallmark of Kentucky basketball. It is a far stretch to equate my comment with “scraping the bottom of the barrel.” I think we can all agree that a monster class would be most welcome.

8. BLUEVADER
    4:48 pm July 30, 2019 Permalink

We will be back on top. We Land Dante we will be back to Back #1. Duke major failures and the cheating being squashed is sitting CAL up for another historic run in recruiting. Players and parents are not blind to see that Duke is failing at the one and done. You can even look at summer league and see out of the ROOKIES HERRO and Johnson were 2 of the best plus VANDERBILT AND Gabriel Are looking good as well. While Zion injured again and RJ Barret was a professional brick layer. You could say he was the biggest disappointing player in Summer league. He didn’t learn to be a team player under K. Pat Riley is spot on when he says Cal gets players ready for the NBA on off the court, they learn team play, they makes others better, plus they can take over a game if need be. While the likes of Barrett thinks he can just Westbrook it or Harden it out there coming into the league. You mark my words I bet Barrett ends up being a cancer at the Nick’s. Knox isn’t going to go for him putting up 30 shots a game. It’s proof plan and simple CAL and KENTUCKY is the best choice if you want to make your career a basketball player. It’s not just about shooting the ball 30x a game. Bilas just doesn’t get it.