RIP Olympic Jaguar’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

We’ll lead off with some sad news from Rio, where the Olympics can’t seem to do anything right.

A jaguar that was part of an Olympic torch ceremony had to be shot and killed when it escaped its handlers. Members of the military and special veterinarians attempted to recapture the animal, but it had to be put down with a single shot after lunging at one of the Brazilian soldiers.  The jaguar, named Juma, had been hit with a tranquilizer dart before the attempted attack.

The use of Juma at the torch ceremony was illegal, according to reports.

Rest in peace, Juma.

John Calipari had a lot to say yesterday.

Coach Cal spent 40 minutes talking about the NBA draft and Kentucky’s four NBA prospects during a special teleconference Tuesday morning. I won’t beat the dead horse any more than we already have here on the site, but if you scroll down just a bit, you’ll find plenty from the call.

If you’re too lazy for that, here are five quick takeaways:

1. He loves the idea of Tyler Ulis going to the Spurs at No. 29
  2. He believes Jamal Murray will lead all rookies in scoring
  3. Alex Poythress could hear his name called as early as late first-round
  4. He’s responsible for Skal Labissiere’s late development in college
  5. Jamal Murray wants to be a Minnesota Timberwolf

Jamal Murray signed with adidas.

Murray joins Brandon Knight as the only other Wildcat currently in the adidas family. It’s a rather surprising move, considering: 1) Kentucky almost always sends guys to Nike; 2) Murray was considering Oregon for college; and 3) he played for the CIA Bounce in the Nike EYBL.

My guess is it came with a pretty decent payday.

Top 2019 prospect visited campus yesterday.

Kentucky hosted Charles Bassey, the top-ranked power forward in the sophomore class, on an unofficial visit yesterday. That’s a name we’ll be hearing a lot of, on down the road. He could end up being the No. 1 overall player in that class.

Coach Cal plans to “beat down” Stephen A. Smith on tomorrow’s First Take.

Here’s what Cal said about his Thursday appearances in Bristol:

“Well, one, I’m going to be up there and they asked me to come in with Karl(-Anthony) Towns. I wouldn’t have done it if it was by myself. So I said, ‘Karl, do you want to do this?’ He said, ‘Yeah, let’s go have some fun.’ So I said, OK, we’ll do the ‘Mike & Mike’ and they’re supposed to bounce me around, I don’t know exactly how much I’ll do. But any chance I can to brag about my kids, and they give me that opportunity, oh I’m bragging about my guys, now.”

And here’s his schedule for the day:

– Mike & Mike (8 am to 10 am)

– First Take (10 am)

– SportsCenter (11 am)

– His & Hers (12 pm)

– Highly Questionable (4:30 pm)

The practice fields arrived at the new football facility.

Well look what rolled into town this morning…

@UKStoopsTroops

The practice fields have arrived and they’re ready for installment. It won’t be long before the football program is using its brand new facility in fall camp.

Billy Gillispie may have to vacate every game he coached last season.

G’s Ranger College was ruled to have used an ineligible player in the 2015-16 season, which means the program will have to toss out every game that player appeared in. Unfortunately for Ranger, the player in question played in all 38 games. If Ranger’s appeal is denied, it will have to toss out 31 wins and its best finish in the 90-year history of the program.

That’s not good.

The Sklar Brothers are on KSR today.

And me! But tune in for them because they’re funny. I’m just there so I don’t get fined.

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for RIP Olympic Jaguar’s Wednesday Morning Wakeup

1. Sentient Third Eye
    9:08 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

Gillispie being forced to vacate every game last season after cheating is no different than when he vacates his dinner because he drank beer before liquor.

2. Yev
    9:39 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

Not to bring up an old topic, but for anyone who thinks they should have just tranquilize darted the gorilla, this is evidence why that would not work, as after the dart, this cat tried to attack.

• runningunnin.454
      9:50 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

These are examples of what happens when exotic, wild animals are confined rather than being allowed to be free in their natural habitat.
      It’s animal cruelty like cock-fighting and dog-fighting.

• Sentient Third Eye
      9:58 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

runninggunnin.454, it’s now how long you live, but how well. In his short time, Juma the jaguar achieve notoriety that other jaguars in the wild can only dream about. His name is forever etched in history, at least as long as the internet survives, with a new level of fame only surpassed by his fictional brother-cat, Chester.

• Booby Petrino
      10:05 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

with ya on that opinion, runnin…#stopjailinganimals

• runningunnin.454
      10:48 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

Well, Third Eye, I’ll take that as tongue in cheek. I really don’t think jaguars “dream” about achieving fame and fortune on the internet……or at the San Diego Zoo. And, I think we’ve seen the tragic consequences to man……and beast.

• RealCatsFan
      10:52 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

Yep, very sad that another beautiful, endangered animal has to die due to the stupidity of humans. Sometimes I feel really bad about the legacy we are leaving for our children. Not saying that I am any better as a person than anyone else, just feeling the collective guilt of what the human Hirace is doing to the earth.

3. Sentient Third Eye
    9:55 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

Maybe signing Murray and these other young guns will help adidas get over their self-esteem issues so they’ll finally feel worthy of capitalizing their name?

4. Sticky Ceiling
    9:55 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

Get fined for not coming to work???

• BluKudzu
      10:05 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

Kind of opposite of giving Stoops 12 million for showing up and performing poorly. #83 of 128 in Athalon’s ranking of College Football Coaches. Barnhart has got to be laughing at this one.

5. UK1983
    11:19 am June 22, 2016 Permalink

the mere fact someone was stupid enough to hire billy Gillespie amazes me. how many fools are there out there working as athletic directors ? Apparently a lot. after suing UK when discharged for cause you would have thought others would have been on notice that he was a poison.

• Mathlete
      12:11 pm June 22, 2016 Permalink

I think Billy G was doing double-duty as the AD at that school too, that explains his return to coaching…

6. Mathlete
    12:12 pm June 22, 2016 Permalink

Not to be a stickler but…

Installment – a sum of money due as one of several equal payments for something, spread over an agreed period of time

Installation – the action or process of installing someone or something, or of being installed