RIP Bourbon: Other half of Barton 1792 rickhouse collapses

@WLKYJulie

@WLKYJulie

My friends, it is with great sadness that I bring you this next story. The other half of the rickhouse that partially collapsed at the Barton 1792 Distillery last month has come down. An estimated 9,000 barrels of bourbon were lost in the initial collapse. The building held 18,000 barrels, which means an additional 9,000 barrels came tumbling down this afternoon.

Photos via @WLKYJulie:

@WLKYJulie

@WLKYJulie

@WLKYJulie

Tragic. Pour one out for our lost spirits tonight.

[LEX18]

[mobile_ad]

19 Comments for RIP Bourbon: Other half of Barton 1792 rickhouse collapses

1. JPGott2
    5:15 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

On the 4th of July this happens??!!!!!!!!! I blame is on communists!!!

2. VinDatuk
    5:38 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Sad to see, but how fing stupid do you have to be to not immediately relocate the other barrels after the first collapse?! For f sake, the bourbon community is pretty tight knit; I’m sure another distiller or various distillers would’ve lent them some space. #rantover #getoffmylawn

• ClutchCargo
      5:51 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

I’m sure the structure wasn’t stable enough to get in there and move those heavy barrels around safely. It was just a matter of time before this happened.

• VinDatuk
      5:55 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Good point. You’d think some would have been salvageable. Glad I bought 10 bottles at the ABC here in NC. Wonder if they’ll appreciate in value?

• cats646
      6:20 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

You would think they could’ve stabled it somehow just enough to get the barrels out. Hate it for the distillery though, big money loss.

• jaws2
      6:37 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

There’s NO DOUBT, this was insured. At a minimum at retail price. Most likely the amount covered bourbon, the structure, AND future potential earnings coming from that warehouse. I know from experience that it wouldn’t have been that expensive to cover. These guys aren’t in the business because they’re stupid.

• cats646
      9:11 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Good point jaws

3. BigBlueToo
    5:58 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Perhaps the building was not stable enough for people and machinery to enter.

4. Rabbi Li
    6:35 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

What a spirited collapse.

5. BTownUKFan
    6:52 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

It’s one warehouse, and based on the pictures many of the barrels are still intact. It’s just a matter of pulling them out and putting them in another warehouse to finish aging. I lived next to Bartons and grew up drinking their VOB, it was OK but there is still plenty out there. This isn’t near the catastrophe Heaven Hill suffered when 5 warehouse, the fill house and the distillery burnt down.

6. nschulte13
    8:05 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Are they really all gone? A lot look like they are still intact.

7. Luether
    9:06 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

It’s a real tragedy to lose so much in Ky spirits…

8. fairweather
    9:12 pm July 4, 2018 Permalink

Well there’s your (100%) proof that “a house divided cannot stand”.

9. davisfeathers
    9:22 am July 5, 2018 Permalink

bourbon is overrated anyways imo

10. FrankySSSuper
    12:27 pm July 6, 2018 Permalink

I’d love to get my hands on one of those barrels. Not just for the booze. I’d love to turn one of those barrels into a Donkey Kong arcade table 🙂